Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,030 members, 7,799,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist (2713 Views)

10 Behaviors Of An Extreme Nairaland Feminist / Open Challenge! Show Me One Recent Notable Feminist Who Had A Great Marriage / Rise Of The Feminist Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by gohome: 7:48am On Nov 13, 2014
LATEST NEWS

Is there anything bigger than a face-palm? A face-foot? Because seeing this article on Time magazine's website made us want to smack ourselves in the face with a shoe. Time debuted its annual list of words that they think deserve and/or need to be banned. Apparently last year they got "twerk" banned? We think Miley Cyrus banned that term symbolically the moment her VMA performance ended and after Robin Thicke cried himself to sleep that same night. On its list of words to ban in 2015? The usual suspects like "I can't even," "yaaasssss," "obvi" and "bae." Those are fine and, sure, we've used most of those words before and it's probably time to stop. We get it. That's not how humans are supposed to talk. But why in the hell is "feminist" on there? Here's Time's explanation: You have nothing against feminism itself, but when did it become a thing that every celebrity had to state their position on whether this word applies to them, like some politician declaring a party? Let's stick to the issues and quit throwing this label around like ticker tape at a Susan B. Anthony parade. Um, why are we pissed that people are labeling themselves as feminists? After decades of people being afraid to refer to themselves as such, shouldn't we be celebrating the fact we hear this word so often? According to Time and the voters: NOPE. A staggering 45 percent of readers voted to do away with "feminist," followed with "bae" and "om nom nom nom." Yeah, it's very logical to put those three terms in the same category. Did our sarcasm come across just then? Good. We're not the only ones who were peeved at Time's poll choices. Look! It's those damn feminists, at it again on Twitter! So, yeah, the banning of "feminist" pissed us off, but next in line was the fact that they referred to Miranda from Sex and the City as "basic." What?! She was the least-basic one! The redheaded, sarcastic Harvard-educated lawyer who hates pretty much everything? How is she basic?! She proposed to her husband over $2 beers! And Miranda would never be caught dead Instagramming her Pumpkin Spice Latte. Get your facts right, Time! Really swinging for the fences today, huh? WE. CAN'T. EVEN.

http://time.com/3576870/worst-words-poll-2014/

1 Like

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by gohome: 8:08am On Nov 13, 2014
Hmm

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Lordabas: 8:49am On Nov 13, 2014

It's hard to embrace a movement that seems to hate you just because you were born with testicles.
I'll pass on modern day feminism undecided
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 13, 2014
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by crackhaus: 9:11am On Nov 13, 2014
Lmao.... Let's see how this all plays out.
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 13, 2014
I blame Nigerian men 100% for this.

I am sure all the votes against feminism came from Nigerian men!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by bennyrazz: 11:54am On Nov 13, 2014
Good news mu he he he grin
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 11:55am On Nov 13, 2014
Nashville:
I blame Nigerian men 100% for this.
I am sure all the votes against feminism came from Nigerian men!!!!
Super lame attempt at being sarcastic undecided

@op: Time is doing this for controversy. Nobody is checking for them except that list they bring out every year, well let's see if this brings people to their site.

I'm anxious to see how this plays out. The lash back is going to be epic! grin grin grin
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Stillfire: 12:23pm On Nov 13, 2014
Lol grin grin grin grin grin
This was definitely the year of the FEMINISTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Respect!!!!!!!! cool 2015 would even be greater! cheesy
Even Obama is a feminist, hahaha. Whether for political votes or not, he knows he gotta please the feminist! grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 13, 2014
Feminism is approaching it's end. It's no longer sustainable. Hahahahaha

2 Likes

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by BABE3: 1:03pm On Nov 13, 2014
It's not even about the word movement itself. But like everything else (what "we" keep saying), the word has been bastardized. People now use it to sound cool and for their own selfish reasons. A man refuses to open the door to a restaurant on a date, a modern day feminist will scream murder. When a man wants to split the bill on a date, you hear them say "that nigga ain't 'bout that life". grin

It's now a word that men-hating women use to back up their hate.

You see a typical NIgerian wife on here; the type that crawl on her knees to satisfy her husband claiming feminist, just to feel among.

Its almost just an empty word nowadays, like the other words on that list "basic" "bae" "literally"; words you say without even thinking. Afterall, that's what's "raining". cheesy

Side note; Beyoncé too is claiming feminist? cheesy grin anything to sell albums and tours I guess.

4 Likes

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Talon05: 1:07pm On Nov 13, 2014
Hahahahahahahahahahahahabuhahahahahahaha

EPIC.
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 13, 2014
Birds will still fly...
It doesn't change anything.
undecided
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Kanwulia: 2:48pm On Nov 13, 2014
SO? undecided

What is the issue?
I SEE NONE! kiss
NOR BE THEIR MAGAZINE?

Only control-freaks would care for sure!
Dem get life? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by crackhaus: 3:47pm On Nov 13, 2014
BABE3:

You see a typical Nigerian wife on here; the type that crawl on her knees to satisfy her husband claiming feminist, just to feel among.
Africans and Nigerians in particular put the words copy in COPY-ing and unoriginal in UNORIGINAL-ity.

It's like a disease.

Side note; Beyoncé too is claiming feminist? cheesy grin anything to sell albums and tours I guess.
Buahahahahahahahaha....

Of all globally recognized celebrities who have referred to themselves as feminists, Beyoncé is the dumbest of them all... gringrin
For a married woman with a kid who has a hard time wearing clothes that cover up her body, ergo objectifying/sexualizing herself - the broad is nothing but a clown, never to be taken serious.

God Almighty blessed the chic with only three things: a superb singing voice, good genes, and a good (ex)manager in the person of her father.
Unfortunately when intelligence was being installed, they skipped her batch.

4 Likes

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by BABE3: 4:29pm On Nov 13, 2014
crackhaus:

Africans and Nigerians in particular put the words copy in COPY-ing and unoriginal in UNORIGINAL-ity.

It's like a disease.

Buahahahahahahahaha.....

plus the ones that still wear underskirts. grin And the ones that can't tell a difference between "aww" and "eww"..All feminists join. cheesy How can I forget the ones that can't even speak in the presence of their husbands... coming here to claim feminism... oh the internet.

Back to beyonce... the woman is smart; feminism is in vogue; females finding out she's a femisnist means they'll buy her albums/come to her shows. A politician (check out obama) would even claim feminist to gather votes. grin

In "single ladies", beyonce said "if he liked it, he should have put a ring on it". Why must it be the man putting a ring on it? Why is it the man's job to propose marraige when we have no gender roles in the world of feminism?

In her song, "run the world", she claimed females run the world while twerking and grinding on men in the desert. Is that the message behind feminism? cheesy

I can go on and on... her song "soldier" grin she needs a soldier-like man in every way possible...

How can I forget that she married a rapper (the most misogynistic group of entertainers). Check out "99 problems" and "big pimping" by jay z.

when Beyoncé decided to use the name "Mrs Carter" on her tour, femisnists got angry. grin

This goes to show, many don't know the meaning of what they stand for; they only use the word for their selfish reasons and to sound cool.

4 Likes

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by cKaiser: 4:30pm On Nov 13, 2014
How can you call yourself a feminist yet hope to have a child from semenn thats from a man you hate so much?

Or at worst have a son, love him nurture him and yet hate the fact that he has a Y chromosome
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by cKaiser: 4:35pm On Nov 13, 2014
I agree with BAB3 100%

Beyonce is a feminist of convenience. The term sells and the best way to sell is to tag along

She is the wife of a man who sang

"You know I - thug em, Bleep em, love em, leave em
Cause I don't fuckin need em
Take em out the hood, keep em lookin good
But I don't fuckin feed em"

Many chicks wanna put Jigga fist in cuffs
Divorce him and split his bucks
Just because you got good head, I'ma break bread
so you can be livin it up? Shit I..
parts with nothin, y'all be frontin
Me give my heart to a woman?
Not for nothin, never happen
I'll be forever mackin

Heart cold as assassins, I got no passion
I got no patience
And I hate waitin..
Hoe get yo' ass in
And let's RI-I-I-I-I-IDE.. check em out now
RI-I-I-I-I-IDE, yeah"

2 Likes

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by BABE3: 4:39pm On Nov 13, 2014
cKaiser:
I agree with BAB3 100%

Beyonce is a feminist of convenience. The term sells and the best way to sell is to tag along

She is the wife of a man who sang

"You know I - thug em, Bleep em, love em, leave em
Cause I don't fuckin need em
Take em out the hood, keep em lookin good
But I don't fuckin feed em"

Many chicks wanna put Jigga fist in cuffs
Divorce him and split his bucks
Just because you got good head, I'ma break bread
so you can be livin it up? Shit I..
parts with nothin, y'all be frontin
Me give my heart to a woman?
Not for nothin, never happen
I'll be forever mackin

Heart cold as assassins, I got no passion
I got no patience
And I hate waitin..
Hoe get yo' ass in
And let's RI-I-I-I-I-IDE.. check em out now
RI-I-I-I-I-IDE, yeah"

She said in one interview like that; " I think I'm a femisnist, sort of". grin
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 13, 2014
BABE3:

plus the ones that still wear underskirts. grin And the ones that can't tell a difference between "aww" and "eww"..All feminists join. cheesy How can I forget the ones that can't even speak in the presence of their husbands... coming here to claim feminism... oh the internet.

Back to beyonce... the woman is smart; feminism is in vogue; females finding out she's a femisnist means they'll buy her albums/come to her shows. A politician (check out obama) would even claim feminist to gather votes. grin

In "single ladies", beyonce said "if he liked it, he should have put a ring on it". Why must it be the man putting a ring on it? Why is it the man's job to propose marraige when we have no gender roles in the world of feminism?

In her song, "run the world", she claimed females run the world while twerking and grinding on men in the desert. Is that the message behind feminism? cheesy

I can go on and on... her song "soldier" grin she needs a soldier-like man in every way possible...

How can I also forget that she married a rapper (the most misogynistic group of entertainers). Check out "99 problems" and "big pimping" by jay z.

when Beyoncé decided to use the name "Mrs Carter" on her tour, femisnists got angry. grin

This goes to show, many don't know the meaning of what they stand for; they only use the word for their selfish reasons and to sound cool.

@bold

Do you know what it stands for?
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by BABE3: 4:44pm On Nov 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:

@bold

Do you know what it stands for?

equality to men in every way, shape or form, apart from anatomy. cheesy Innit?
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by lilmax(m): 4:44pm On Nov 13, 2014
They scream feminism only when it suits them....but I'm still trying to figure out why the word "feminism " ends on nairaland
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by crackhaus: 4:45pm On Nov 13, 2014
BABE3:

How can I also forget that she married a rapper (the most misogynist group of entertainers). Check out "99 problems" and "big pimping" by jay z.

This goes to show, many don't know the meaning of what they stand for; they only use the world for their selfish reasons and to sound cool.
Lmao... them bits I put in bold are other examples of why she's a dumbfvck feminist grin

1 Like

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 13, 2014
BABE3:

equality to men in every way, shape or form, apart from anatomy. cheesy Innit?

Are you a feminist? Why / Why not?
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by cKaiser: 4:48pm On Nov 13, 2014
BABE3:

She said in one interview like that; " I think I'm a femisnist, sort of". grin

Why you dey yarn like this?

If you are into showbiz and theres a magic word that astronomically increase your bank account why wont you use it?

Even Fela would say he's a feminist under the right circumstance
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 13, 2014
cKaiser:
How can you call yourself a feminist yet hope to have a child from semenn thats from a man you hate so much?

Or at worst have a son, love him nurture him and yet hate the fact that he has a Y chromosome

And who told you feminists hate men?
Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by BABE3: 4:54pm On Nov 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Are you a feminist? Why / Why not?

Nah.. I'm okay with not being a feminist. I don't need to be a feminist to be what I want or who I want.

Btw, does being a feminist have to do with believing in feminism alone or believing and actively practicing feminism....

1 Like

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Talon05: 4:57pm On Nov 13, 2014
crackhaus:

Lmao... them bits I put in bold are other examples of why she's a dumbfvck feminist grin
Brotha, all feminists are dumbf*cks, not just beyansi

3 Likes

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
BABE3:
It's not even about the word movement itself. But like everything else (what "we" keep saying), the word has been bastardized. People now use it to sound cool and for their own selfish reasons. A man refuses to open the door to a restaurant on a date, a modern day feminist will scream murder. When a man wants to split the bill on a date, you hear them say "that nigga ain't 'bout that life". grin

It's now a word that men-hating women use to back up their hate.

You see a typical NIgerian wife on here; the type that crawl on her knees to satisfy her husband claiming feminist, just to feel among.

Its almost just an empty word nowadays, like the other words on that list "basic" "bae" "literally"; words you say without even thinking. Afterall, that's what's "raining". cheesy

Merci beaucoup

1 Like

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 13, 2014
Margaret Thatcher didn't need feminism.

1 Like

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 13, 2014
BABE3:

Nah.. I'm okay with not being a feminist. I don't need to be a feminist to be what I want or who I want.

You don't need to be a feminist to be what or who you want to be but you are aware of the fact that you can be who or what you want to be because of feminism, aren't you?

Do you think men and women should have the same rights?
Do you think that men are not better than women and vice versa?
Do you think that females should have access to education?
Do you think that the female child should NOT be excluded from their parents' inheritance?
Do you think that you should have the right to decide for yourself?
Do you think that you should be allowed to work without asking your husband's permission?
Do you think that you should be allowed to own properties?
Do you think that you should be allowed to drive a car even when you are female?

Btw, does being a feminist have to do with believing in feminism alone or believing and actively practicing feminism....

It means that you are convinced that women should have equal political, economic and social rights; whether you actively work towards it is secondary.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Time Magazine Bans The Use Of The Word Feminist by crackhaus: 5:09pm On Nov 13, 2014
Feminists don't hate men, they only hate patriarchy...

Good gracious, I feel better - hating patriarchy is 100times better than hating men.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Your Advise On This Funny Act In My Neighbourhood / Why No Baby Yet After 3yrs But I Say Happy 3yrs Aniversary To Banky W And Adesua / My Step Daughter Wahala!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.