Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,910 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years (3133 Views)

Nigeria Astronaut Will Land In Space Before 2030 - Minister Of Science & Tech / Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion / Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 3:34pm On Nov 13, 2014
See what others are doing. Ours is to go to church/mosque/shrine and make a whole lot of noise, loot the resource placed under our care and blame pple in the village or ur oppositions/enemies for your failures without contributing anything to the human race. http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30034060

After a historic but awkward comet landing, the robot probe Philae is now stable and sending pictures - but there are concerns about its battery life.

The lander bounced twice, initially about 1km back out into space, before settling in the shadow of a cliff, 1km from its intended target site.

It may now be problematic to get enough sunlight to charge its battery systems.

Launched in 2004, the European Space Agency (Esa) mission hopes to learn about the origins of our Solar System.

It has already sent back the first images ever taken from the crumbling, fractured terrain of a comet.

Philae got to the icy 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko on the back of Esa's Rosetta satellite after a 10-year, 6.4 billion-km (4bn-mile) journey, which reached its climax on Wednesday with a seven-hour drop to the surface.

After showing an image that indicates Philae's presumed location - on the far side of a large crater that was earlier considered but then rejected as a landing site - the head of the lander team, Stephan Ulamec, said: "We could be somewhere in the rim of this crater, which could explain this bizarre… orientation that you have seen."
Pictures taken by Philae of its surroundings show it pressed up against what appears to be a hard wall of some kind.

Telemetry indicates it is on a slope or perhaps even on its side.

Certainly, one of its three feet is not in contact with the surface.

The key issue vexing controllers right now is the lighting conditions.

Philae is receiving about 1.5 hours of illumination during every 12-hour rotation of the comet.

This will be insufficient to top up its battery system once the primary charge it had on leaving Rosetta runs out. That was some 60-plus hours.

It means Philae is unlikely to be operating in its present state beyond Saturday.

"We have estimations right now that go between Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon," explained Paolo Ferri, the head of Esa's operations here in Darmstadt, Germany.

"It depends on the activities, of course. The more activities we do with the lander, the more power we will consume, and the less time we will have."
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/78971000/jpg/_78971511_philae_landing_zone_624.jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/78956000/jpg/_78956538_welcome_to_a_comet.jpg

3 Likes

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 3:35pm On Nov 13, 2014
Look at the mission facts...
Mission facts:

Philae lander

Travelled 6.4 billion km (four billion miles) to reach the comet
Journey took 10 years
Planning for the journey began 25 years ago
Comet 67P

More than four billion years old
Mass of 10 billion tonnes
Hurtling through space at 18km/s (40,000mph)
Shaped like a rubber duck
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 3:37pm On Nov 13, 2014
They are now celebrating the first ever landing on a comet. Even google.com has joined them in the celebration.

1 Like

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 13, 2014
and how is that my business? undecided
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by Psylas(m): 4:07pm On Nov 13, 2014
EroticAngelina:
and how is that my business? undecided
wetin concern apes with technology

10 Likes

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by yousee(m): 4:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
AltarBoy1:
See what the whites are doing. ours is to go to church/mosque/shrine and make a whole lot of noise without contributing anything to the human race. http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30034060
If anybody attack you, na you cause am.
This na just to prepare you for the onslaught.
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by IfyAwazie(f): 4:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
Waooo, wonderful. So, how does dat reduce d value of naria.

1 Like

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 13, 2014
Oyinbo are doing landbreaking techs and events while we were still 500years behind civilisation ... From colonialism to neocolonialism !

Who is gonna bring Africa to speed ...... ?

Imagine those two ignorant girls above me , some guys are dying over them right now

6 Likes

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 5:03pm On Nov 13, 2014
yousee:

If anybody attack you, na you cause am.
This na just to prepare you for the onslaught.
Why will someone attack me?

3 Likes

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 13, 2014
Psylas:

grin grin hehehehe!! Bros U get bad mouth o shocked

1 Like

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 5:07pm On Nov 13, 2014
Psylas:
My broda, your sense dey there. If to say na "tonto dikeh new look" be the name of the topic, she 4 make reasonable contribution.

5 Likes

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 5:09pm On Nov 13, 2014
donroxy:
Oyinbo are doing landbreaking techs and events while we were still 500years behind civilisation ... From colonialism to neocolonialism !

Who is gonna bring Africa to speed ...... ?

Imagine those two ignorant girls above me , some guys are dying over them right now
If we have been making progress in technologies the way we are doing in religion issues, we for be 1st class country by now.

3 Likes

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by 9jii(m): 5:12pm On Nov 13, 2014
IfyAwazie:
Waooo, wonderful. So, how does dat reduce d value of naria.
the smarter they get the lesser They demand your oil which in turn weakened your naira.

7 Likes

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by meforyou1(m): 5:36pm On Nov 13, 2014
While africans are flying through spirit in centuries to see God
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 5:42pm On Nov 13, 2014
meforyou1:
While africans are flying through spirit in centuries to see God
all to no avail. Person go get problem. Instead of am to face the problem with his God given brain, he go begin go frm church to church to knw which of him relation dey follow am from village.

2 Likes

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 13, 2014
AltarBoy1:
If we have been making progress in technologies the way we are doing in religion issues, we for be 1st class country by now.
Religion doesn't stop technology my brother ... We are just unexposed in this part of the world and Oyinbo has blinded our leaders for ever with ''money'' so as for us not to know the value of ''wealth'' !!

Knowledge is wealth and that is what is missing in this part of the world !!
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by greaterlove(m): 6:42pm On Nov 13, 2014
This was the topic of discussion in my office today, all men were like waoh! Kind of funny it's not yet on front page.
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 6:46pm On Nov 13, 2014
donroxy:
Religion doesn't stop technology my brother ... We are just unexposed in this part of the world and Oyinbo has blinded our leaders for ever with ''money'' so as for us not to know the value of ''wealth'' !!

Knowledge is wealth and that is what is missing in this part of the world !!
Am in no way saying religion is bad, but we need to strike a balance. The followers are too busy chasing religion thing while the leaders are busy chasing money.

1 Like

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 6:48pm On Nov 13, 2014
greaterlove:
This was the topic of discussion in my office today, all men were like waoh! Kind of funny it's not yet on front page.
These are people who faced situation with their life, making do with the brain that God gave them.
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 6:50pm On Nov 13, 2014
It took them 25yrs to plan this expedtion and the machine travlled billions of kilometer in 10yrs to get there. So if to say there are humans in the machine, probably some of them might have died.

1 Like

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by Ngwakwe: 6:57pm On Nov 13, 2014
AltarBoy1:
They are now celebrating the first ever landing on a comet. Even google.com has joined them in the celebration.

Where is the missing Malaysian Airline?

Tell them to understudy and master the earth first before embarking on a near fruitless venture.

Earth's diameter is only 12800 Km and yet there are lots of mysteries yet unsolved.

Comet my foot. What is their mission to comet meant to achieve?

There should be a coordinated sequence to scientific studies but this one is a bridge to nowhere same as big band experiment.
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by mesoade(m): 6:58pm On Nov 13, 2014
And in the end of days,knowlegde will increase
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 7:13pm On Nov 13, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Where is the missing Malaysian Airline?

Tell them to understudy and master the earth first before embarking on a near fruitless venture.

Earth's diameter is only 12800 Km and yet there are lots of mysteries yet unsolved.

Comet my foot. What is their mission to comet meant to achieve?

There should be a coordinated sequence to scientific studies but this one is a bridge to nowhere same as big band experiment.
SMH4U. Tell me one good thing that you have discovered. You havent studied anything abt Nigeria/your state of origin, but yet you went ahead and studied the earth/the oceans and other planets in geography. Guy, begin dey think straight. Make I ask, have the ministry of aviation release the actual cause of the last dana clash? You guys shldnt get me wrong, am not against religion, but we need to think with our head in this our country.

1 Like

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by PapiWata: 7:16pm On Nov 13, 2014
It took the European Space Agency ten whole years to land that craft on a hurtling meteor, yet in Nigeria, WINCHES and WEEZARDS fly combat missions over Lagos on a daily basis, with only occasional crashes to the ground, after which "sympathizers" quickly gather to stone the culprit to death.

In other words, were the European Space Agency not too proud to seek the assistance of the Nigerian Babalawo Association for technical advice on flight into space and other planets, that recently completed mission would have taken just ten minutes, and not ten years.

1 Like

Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 7:16pm On Nov 13, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Is this the Ngwakwe I knw or someone just hacked his moniker. How could you have made such a comment. Am pretty sure its pple like you that frowned against "man's mission to the moon". But now, everyone is enjoying the benefits through the numerous satelite orbit our planet.
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by AltarBoy1: 7:19pm On Nov 13, 2014
PapiWata:
It took the European Space Agency ten whole years to land that craft on a hurtling meteor, yet in Nigeria, WINCHES and WEEZARDS fly missions over Lagos on a daily basis, with only occasional crashes to the ground, after which "sympathizers" quickly gather to stone the culprit to death.

In other words, were the European Space Agency not too proud to seek the assistance of the Nigerian Babalawo Association for technical advice on flight into space and other planets, that recently completed mission would have taken just ten minutes, and not ten years.
lwkmd. I like ur sense of humour. Are your sure that our wizards have the escape velocity to overcome the gravitational force of the earth.
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by greaterlove(m): 7:47pm On Nov 13, 2014
AltarBoy1:
These are people who faced situation with their life, making do with the brain that God gave them.
I totally agree, like your comment above too, religion is not totally bad but over religion like we practice here in nigeria dulls the brain and limits creativity. Over religion plunged Europe into the dark ages, a period with little or no advancement in almost every aspect of life. If not for men who stood up and started thinking differently, men who intead of looking down looked up, men who believed in the creativity of a free spirit and choose to be free, if not for them we will still be in the Iron Age.
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by politricks: 7:54pm On Nov 13, 2014
Sorry for my ignorance but how big was its fuel tank.
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by Psylas(m): 8:02pm On Nov 13, 2014
If to say the thread na "Tonto Dike and Mercy Johnson who wore it better" Oga Seun and his Mods for don carry am enter front page since
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by Psylas(m): 8:14pm On Nov 13, 2014
politricks:
Sorry for my ignorance but how big was its fuel tank.
i don't think it's using fuel, na Solar energy because i read it on bbc that the only prolem they are facing is the solar power, the spacecraft has gone far and no longer recieve enough energy from our star the Sun,
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by politricks: 8:16pm On Nov 13, 2014
Psylas:
i don't think it's using fuel, na Solar energy because i read it on bbc that the only prolem they are facing is the solar power, the spacecraft has gone far and no longer recieve enough energy from our star the Sun,
hmmn that explains a lot.......thank you.
Re: European Space Mission Rocket Reaches Comet After Traveling In Space For 10years by IfyAwazie(f): 8:21pm On Nov 13, 2014
9jii:
the smarter they get the lesser They demand your oil which in turn weakened your naira.
and who told u by den our oil will remain for dem to demand. Our leaders whould have siphon it finish and transfer d money into dere foreign accounts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Netnaija And Justnaija Current Website Theme Here / See The Gigantic Snake Bayelsa Politician Saw At His New House / Droid Buddy 2 Apk Latest Free Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.