Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,817 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True (40698 Views)

5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop / Is This Always True Abt The Binis?? / Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by oluamid(m): 12:23am On Jan 15, 2015
Some threads are not worth being on the front page because they engender tribal sentiments. This is one. Prime example of a good thread gone bad.

Sheath your swords brothers, and get your PVCs. We should be fighting the ruling class not ourselves. Misrule knows no tribe.
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by listenersky: 1:12am On Jan 15, 2015
somcherry:

4 where? Let him try it in some villages and he will pay bride price double.
stay there o.so if I give you belle,you think your people wont beg me to marry you for free?
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by zo3184: 1:19am On Jan 15, 2015
Igbos are not into business in America, most Nigerians that are in business in America are not Igbos and i'm not saying they can't do business in America.
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by tonychristopher: 1:29am On Jan 15, 2015
Everyday in NL you must see Igbo this Igbo that ...you guys are maiking us rock stars ..why is it that other tribes are not talked about....well I think if your not talked about your not important

2 Likes

Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by tonychristopher: 1:32am On Jan 15, 2015
Sammyblake:
The facts: The Igbos and the Yorubas seem to have the greatest rivalry. The British colonialists described the Hausa/Fulani as similar to the Arabs, the Yorubas as the English men of Africa and the Igbos as the Jews of Africa.

According to historical facts, people from the Yoruba tribe are the most educated followed by the Igbos.
Igbo people on the other hands are the most innovative, go to Alaba International market in Lagos, these smart Igbo boys will make anything you want… They utilize their creative thinking to turn things around.

People from the Hausa tribe are into agriculture and farming, Aliko Dangote, the richest man in Africa is an Hausa man from Kano.

That was then

Igbo are the most educated tribe

Check statistics
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by odave: 3:35am On Jan 15, 2015
xordik:
The list is not complete withouth mentioning that....
1 they too dey eat leaves sotey dem livestock dey follow papa SHINYERE fight over ugwu~

grin grin. Dis guy no go kill pesin o, omg! grin
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Nobody: 4:22am On Jan 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

That was then

Igbo are the most educated tribe

Check statistics
oga which statistics, abeg show me .. . It's very obvious, don't be biarse, the problem with you guys is that you don't want to accept the real fact, you want to rule over everything... I don't want to go into any tribal e-war with anyone.. To you Igbos are more educated, to me yorubas are and all I'm interested in is our unity. .. #repping yorubas till my last breath
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Afam4eva(m): 5:35am On Jan 15, 2015
The thing about stereotypes is that, it's not they're not true but they don't tell the entire story - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

4 Likes

Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Caracta(f): 6:59am On Jan 15, 2015
thinkdip:

I opened your blog, read your poems and I saw you: You were wonderful!... What a good work from you? Thumbs up

Thank you.
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Horlufemi(m): 7:18am On Jan 15, 2015
sureteeboy:
Nice points. Foreigners inductively categorise all Nigerians as scammers while Nigerians take turns in shifting the blame to our Igbo brothers. Nigeria stands as one, but, it's rather pathetic that some Igbos on nairaland (and even their Yoruba brothers) are tribalistic.

to be honest Igbo's are tribalistic. when I was in camp in NYSC all people I rolled with were Igbo. they keep making a statement that makes me unhappy. "That Yoruba boy" "that Yoruba girl" "you are not like the others" "your Yoruba brothers". I see myself as an individual before a human being first. not black, African but human. Some yourbas are very unforgiving too. if they have any bad experience with another race they stereotype the rest. anyways I discovered Nigerians are tribalistic. and we need to put tribe behind us so we can move forward as a nation. to do that u must see yourself and everybody as individuals. and treat them as an entity. then you can study the persons character and choose to continue or stay away.

God bless Nigeria
God bless humanity

1 Like

Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Whynotthetruth(m): 7:36am On Jan 15, 2015
Neplusultra:
Ya gazie oo!!!

Otu a ka odi nwanyi oma. Ka Ututu tututara gi iheoma.
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by maskid(m): 7:49am On Jan 15, 2015
Mschteeeeew. Another useless thread lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by awa(m): 7:55am On Jan 15, 2015
listenersky:
Igbo parents ask for heaven and earth just to marry their daughters.they recently gave a friend of mine a list that contains so many things and all the school fees they paid for his. Ibo girlfriend from primary school up to the post graduate level.The guy has been really depressed since he saw that list.

I already gave him an advice that the best way to marry an Igbo girl is to just pump some sper.m into her and impregnate her wether with or without her concent.My friend is working towards that now.

@Listenersky,

This is not true. I challenge you and your friend to make public such list where school fees from Primary School to Post Graduate School are included as part of dowry.
The fact that your friend told you doesn't make it true. Let's stop being naive....

2 Likes

Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by tonychristopher: 7:56am On Jan 15, 2015
Sammyblake:
oga which statistics, abeg show me .. . It's very obvious, don't be biarse, the problem with you guys is that you don't want to accept the real fact, you want to rule over everything... I don't want to go into any tribal e-war with anyone.. To you Igbos are more educated, to me yorubas are and all I'm interested in is our unity. .. #repping yorubas till my last breath

Go check waec neco jamb etc..I won't teach you basic research methodology.. hope you are educated ....maybe ask Google or check here at Nairaland out ..use the search engine

Igbo presently are the most educated tribe anambra and IMO top the list ..this has been the trend last ten years
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by alphalpha(m): 7:59am On Jan 15, 2015
kaybiel2u:
You Are Defending Your People Of Their Stereotype.

bro analyse the points critically. thank god
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

Go check waec neco jamb etc..I won't teach you basic research methodology.. hope you are educated ....maybe ask Google or check here at Nairaland out ..use the search engine

Igbo presently are the most educated tribe anambra and IMO top the list ..this has been the trend last ten years
statistics of jamb and waec alone cannot determine the most educated, and even the jamb and waec you're taking about,almost half of them use runz pass, until you show me a reasonable evidence that Igbos are more educated than yorubas you have no point #
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by tonychristopher: 8:11am On Jan 15, 2015
Sammyblake:
statistics of jamb and waec alone cannot determine the most educated, and even the jamb and waec you're taking about,almost half of them use runz pass, until you show me a reasonable evidence that Igbos are more educated than yorubas you have no point #

I am done with you..runs or walk the statistics are there
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Emytexboy(m): 8:12am On Jan 15, 2015
kaybiel2u:
You Are Defending Your People Of Their Stereotype.
tongue
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by tonychristopher: 8:13am On Jan 15, 2015
As a matter of serious conversation, shouldn't your first instinct be to answer to the substantive question about projects that Yorubas have embarked on and succeeded in Nigeria and out of the confidence that you derived from having responded properly to the inquiry at hand you can then proceed to asking any questions that you dim necessary. Your failure toaddress the question at hand before asking your question indicates that you are not a serious interlocutor like Ayo and I say that for the records.Notwithstanding your inability to rescue Ayo from his self-inflicted wound, again typical of a Yoruba man, I will not hesitate to take you to school if you chose to be babysitted for the record, although I will be repeating myself. Now in respect to your specificquestion, what Igbo built that Yoruba destroyed, in a nutshell almost every institution that the white man handed over to Nigeria after our independence Igbos built but because of your sophomoric question I will endeavor to break down what I mean for you

. Nigerian railway was built and managed under Igbo minister Dr. Onyiuke and Igbos ran most of the day to day operations and the railway worked, when Yorubas took over the railway after the war they destroyed it. Igbos ran the military and brought prestige to the Nigerian military because of the caliber of Igbos that joined the military and the military worked then, look at what the military has become. You can mention any ministry before the war that worked and you will see the hands of Igbo in it.During the British/Biafran war Igbos invented one of the most deadly explosives (IEDs-Ogbunigwe)the world have ever known in the 1960s, the Igbos built armored cars, air missiles, assault rifles, gun boats, rocket launcher, rocket propelled grenades and ambulance vehicles. Igbos not only built underground refineries they also built mobile refineries as they lost territories to the federal troops.

After the war Awo and his tribal cabal representing the Yoruba conspired and went on a search and destroy mission and methodically combed all the south east and blew up and destroyed all thefactories that Igbo built instead of moving the factories and the Igbo scientists to a federally controlled areaand using their ingenuity to the benefitof the whole nation. For your information ask America and Russia what they did with German engineers after world war 11.

Today Nigeria is importing all these military equipments. That is destruction of what Igbos built. In 1972, Professor A. N. Njoku-Obi produced an anti-cholera vaccine recognized by the world health community, Yoruba elites who were running the Nigeria bureaucracy after the war did not want to hear of it, they undermined that project and today Nigeria is importing those drugs instead of being the manufacturer and exporter. That is destruction my friends. In 1974 two years after an Igbo invented the cholera vaccine, Professor F. A. Udekwu and his colleagues performedthe first ever open-heart surgery in Nigeria and Black Africa, did you think that Yoruba elites wanted to hear that, of course not, if I did not tell you now, would you know? Hell no! Today, forty years later Nigerians are going oversees for their heart surgery payinghard currency. That is destruction of Nigerian economy

. In 1999 after Obasanjo took office, he destroyed every Igbo business that was importing Rice and Cement into Nigeria before he came into office by granting an unprecedented and probably the biggest sole monopoly ofthe importation of rice and cement to one man called Dangote who became a billionaire overnight. When Igbos where involved in the importation of these items like cement, the price of cement was around N300, now the price of cement is hovering around N1,500 a bag. Go figure that, that is destruction of not only Igbos businesses but Nigeria in general. After Dangote was grant the sole monopoly of importing cement, he complained to Obasanjo that Ibeto cement industry owned by an Igbo which was mostly a repackaging factory was creating an undue competition for his monopoly and overnight Obasanjo used an executive order to shutdown Ibeto cement factory with its 400 employees. My friend that is destruction by any standard. Savannah Bank was established by Jim Nwobodo an Igbo man, Obasanjo closed down that bank and rendered all the employees jobless because he had some disagreements with Nwobodo not because the bank went bankrupt, not because the bank was running a fraudulent scheme, not because the bank was being mismanaged but because Obasanjo like most Yorubas have this visceral hate, wickedness, jealousy and the type of indifference that says why did God create an Igbo in the first place. Again Kunle that is destruction of a unique type. Engineer Ezekiel Izuogo created the V600 car and Yoruba press, politicians, lawyers even Yoruba engineers attacked him mercilessly and frustrated his effort to build the factory in Igbo land, that is one, second when he decided to build the factory in South Africa during Obasanjo’s regime, Obasanjo and his co-haters went and stole everything, the design manual, the engine block, everything necessary for him to carry on his work thereby destroying Izuogo motors for good. Kunle do you still need more examples? Wait I told Ayo that I have more than most of you could imagine. Do you remember Niger Dock Apapa, Dr. Nnamdi Ozobia, an Igbo built it, he built yachts for individuals and ferry boats for Lagos State that plied between Apapa to Mile2. He also did repairs for foreign ships that paid Nigeria hard currency, well here we go again, when Obasanjo came into office he removed Dr. Ozobia in the most ignominious way a pattern for Obasanjo and handed over Niger Dock Apapa to Yorubas. Today Niger Dock Apapa is in ruins, a shadow of its old self. That is destruction of what Igbos built. You have Nigerian Ports Authority, NigerianAirways, you have NITEL that Yorubas burnt down after they ruined it throughembezzlement. Lest I forget what about the mother of all destruction, theindigenization decree of 1972. What the decree did was to hand over Nigerian economy to the Yorubas and they destroyed the economy. The list below is a partial list of mostly British and other foreign owned companies that Igbos were efficiently managing before the war, few of these companies were owned or partial owned by Yoruba.

Some Yorubas in the past have quibbled about preciselywho owned what but not on the point of whether Yorubas ruined all the companies that they acquired by the force of the indigenization decree. My response is that the issue has never been about who owned what, the substantive issue was and is that Yorubas ruined, defrauded, liquidated and destroyed all the companies they took over after the war regardless of who owned them before the war even including their own companies that they started but could not manage. For your information that single act of indigenization decree is largely responsible for our economic state of affair.“Pharmaceutical Nigeria Plc ,May and Baker Nigeria Plc,Vitafoam Nigeria Plc,Wahum Nigeria Limited ,CAP Nigeria Plc , International Paints of West Africa [IPWA], Berger Paints Nigeria Plc, Berec Nigeria Limited, Kabelmetal, Nigeria Bottling Company Plc, Leventis Nigeria Plc ,West African Portland Cement Company,[Lafarge],Wema Bank Nigeria Plc, Scoa Nigeria Plc ,CFAO Nigeria Plc, Cadbury Nigeria Plc, Wemaboard Estates, Odua Group, Livestock Feeds Nigeria Plc , Nigerian Breweries Plc, new nigerian Bank, Batta, Kingsway Stores, Crittal Hope (Nigeria) Limited, Mushin, Lagos State.Dunlop (Nig.) Industries Plc, Ikeja, Lagos State. •Galvanising Industries Limited, Ikeja, Lagos State. •Nigeria Construction & Water Resources Development Company Limited, Ibadan, Oyo State •Nigerian Wire & Cable Plc, Ibadan, Oyo State •Nigerite PLC, Ikeja, Lagos State •Nipol Limited, Ibadan, Oyo State •Odu'a Textile Industries Limited, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State •Soleh Boneh Overseas (Nigeria) Limited, Ibadan, Oyo State •Vono Products Plc, Mushin, Lagos State •Wema Bank Plc,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by rhymz(m): 8:15am On Jan 15, 2015
gatiano:
I've witness the wholeworld analyse my Igbo brothers and sisters, and they found one problem prohibiting them from greatness. That is pride. Igbos are extremely wonderful people, but pride is their greatest and major enemy.
Show me one man that has no pride in him..... You have to be an ed!ot to even claim you are igbo and are vomiting this nonsense.

1 Like

Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by tonychristopher: 8:21am On Jan 15, 2015
Sammyblake:

As a matter of serious conversation, shouldn't your first instinct be to answer to the substantive question about projects that Yorubas have embarked on and succeeded in Nigeria and out of the confidence that you derived from having responded properly to the inquiry at hand you can then proceed to asking any questions that you dim necessary. Your failure toaddress the question at hand before asking your question indicates that you are not a serious interlocutor like Ayo and I say that for the records.Notwithstanding your inability to rescue Ayo from his self-inflicted wound, again typical of a Yoruba man, I will not hesitate to take you to school if you chose to be babysitted for the record, although I will be repeating myself. Now in respect to your specificquestion, what Igbo built that Yoruba destroyed, in a nutshell almost every institution that the white man handed over to Nigeria after our independence Igbos built but because of your sophomoric question I will endeavor to break down what I mean for you
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 15, 2015
Neplusultra:
Leave dat tin alone!
that guy is a clown!!! cheesy couldn't help but laugh at his comment
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Nobody: 8:38am On Jan 15, 2015
Neplusultra:
Are u surprise?? shocked Lol!!
The thing tire me o.
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 15, 2015
chrisviral:

This got me laughing really hard.. My Dad had to ask me why? grin cheesy grin cheesy

Meanwhile ma'am caracta be looking for trouble on NL since 2005 and papa steppin be giving it to her.. ( you two are more entertaining to me that the Igbo that Igbo this) grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Igbos are Intelligent cheesy
The richest man in Nigeria is igbo grin cheesy
President is Igbo grin cheesy
Buhari is igbo grin (ogbuagu 1 of Abia) cheesy

Igbo rocking the boat since 00BC

I thought the OP said the sterotypes of Igbos that are not true. Mind you, my best friend is an Igbo. I was just saying what I do hear people say.
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Nobody: 9:10am On Jan 15, 2015
naijaobi:

You are difficult to live with, not igbos.

Well I havent lived with one before.
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

. Sir, I'll respect the fact that this is an igbo based thread and for the sake of unity i won't engage in any argument with you, cuz i consider you Igbos as our brothers and friends I'll say this anytime and anywhere # proudly yoruba... # peace
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by dfrost: 9:27am On Jan 15, 2015
gatiano:
my Igbo brothers and sisters

It's actually Ibos, not Igbos. Ibo is the tribe while Igbo is the language. Don't take offense for the correction
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by steppin: 9:55am On Jan 15, 2015
dfrost:

It's actually Ibos, not Igbos. Ibo is the tribe while Igbo is the language. Don't take offense for the correction
A blind man trying to lead a man who can see.
It's Igbo not ibo. The white man and yorubas use that since it's easier.
If you had known your roots, I wouldn't have to explain. Try and make that statement in politics section.

1 Like

Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Etetejake(m): 10:03am On Jan 15, 2015
Even I strenght. An igbo man can beat his opponent without weapon.
Re: 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True by Etetejake(m): 10:04am On Jan 15, 2015
Even I strenght. An igbo man can beat his opponent without weapon. What other tribes can do an Igbo man can do it even greater. Proudly Igbo boi

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Arrives Onitsha For The Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival- PICTURES / Ahmed Dahiru Zungeru Is Dead (Seriki Hausa Of Ibadanland) / Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.