Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. (11981 Views)

The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. / Does Adeboye Now Believe In Canonization Of Saints? / I Now Believe God Is Real. My Evidence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by honourhim: 10:58pm On Nov 13, 2014
plaetton:

I agree that the African mind is destroyed, but you cannot absolve the role of religion in the past 100 and something years.

The Roman catholic church in Nigeria, for example , is engaged in an endless war with our cultures.
Anything cultural is viewed as demonic, and this is passed on to generations.

I have been in occasions where people refused to break or eat Kola nut because of religion.
Whereas, in the Vatican, a lot of top catholic priests smoke cigarettes , drink alcohol, even snort cocaine, while still maintaining their pretences of peity.

Do you know that Catholic church contributes to the development of this country in some ways? Ok it is when they support nonsense that you will clap for them? You dey try.
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by honourhim: 11:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
hifaif:

Things started working well for Europe during the age of Enlightenment. Prior to that time, religion (especially, Christianity) caused Europe to be underdeveloped just the way Africa is now.

lies
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by theunusualmoon(m): 11:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
Dapo777:

Because the qualities attributed to God is paradoxical. I can show you the paradoxes, create another thread for it.
Bro almost everything is paradoxical.
you immerse a seed into the soil but it yields a tree that grows out of the soil in the opposite direction
You come into the world young and crying but you leave old and smiling
You put good smelling appetizing food in your mouth but.......am sure you know how it leaves your body.
One minute its raining,the next minute the sun is out.
Even the evolution you are talking about is very very very paradoxical.
One minute an organism is harmless to humans but in a thousand years it becomes deadlier than ebola virus.
This is not to say I am cool with you saying GOD is paradoxical but I just gave you the above to make you understand this your "paradixical claim" is not enough excuse for you to be an atheist.

1 Like

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 13, 2014
Dapo777:

Evolution is not a one time process,its continuous and its still happening,only very slowly that no generation can notice any micro changes due to the speed at Which evolution is occurring. The fossils are references to the way those organisms were millions of years back.
Lol. This dude! Let me play with this statement a little before reverting back to the main issue.

If no generation can notice any micro changes due to speed, and micro changes result in macrochange, and macrochange is not permanent but many micro changes, how then do we know that their is Evolution?
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 13, 2014
honourhim:

lies

Tell us the truth, then. With evidence.

2 Likes

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by honourhim: 11:04pm On Nov 13, 2014
hifaif:

Tell us the truth, then. With evidence.

Where are the evidences of your own point?
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 13, 2014
honourhim:

Very good. Never in the course of this argument loose track of the subject matter. A sure way to avoid it is by allowing the atheist prove his points without mentioning God.

1 Like

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by urheme: 11:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
Dapo777:

Evolution is not a one time process,its continuous and its still happening,only very slowly that no generation can notice any micro changes due to the speed at Which evolution is occurring. The fossils are references to the way those organisms were millions of years back.

Inconclusive nonsence, complicated trash, evolution theory is vague and a fat lie.

From the fossils you are talking about, can you in an orderly manner arrange the organisms, starting from the singlar cell,which one first and which is last for now.

Evolution is the only aspect of science i totally dissagree with if not i love all.

1 Like

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by krayzieklay(m): 11:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
@Op.. Are you just realizing that now? Anyways,hope you slept well? Pls,don't forget to wake others ( honourhim, Reyginus, urheme e.t.c) sleeping and snoring beside you. Thanks. wink
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by urheme: 11:16pm On Nov 13, 2014
Dapo777:

Yes I am working towards it. I must accomplish something before I leave this world. My presence on earth cannot go wasted back to the ground.

Aren't you some beauty,
Very inspirational smiley
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 13, 2014
Reyginus:
Lol. This dude! Let me play with this statement a little before reverting back to the main issue.

If no generation can notice any micro changes due to speed, and micro changes result in macrochange, and macrochange is not permanent but many micro changes, how then do we know that their is Evolution?

Through fossils. I don't get What is it u don't understand or Ar u just playing intellectual pranks?
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 13, 2014
theunusualmoon:
Bro almost everything is paradoxical.
you immerse a seed into the soil but it yields a tree that grows out of the soil in the opposite direction
You come into the world young and crying but you leave old and smiling
You put good smelling appetizing food in your mouth but.......am sure you know how it leaves your body.
One minute its raining,the next minute the sun is out.
Even the evolution you are talking about is very very very paradoxical.
One minute an organism is harmless to humans but in a thousand years it becomes deadlier than ebola virus.
This is not to say I am cool with you saying GOD is paradoxical but I just gave you the above to make you understand this your "paradixical claim" is not enough excuse for you to be an atheist.

I saw this coming.

Those things you call paradoxical are not paradoxical. They have scientific explanation for those things u call paradox.

Paradox is When we have two conflicting attributes in a single entity simultaneously. Like a square circle.

1 Like

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 13, 2014
honourhim:

The Enlightenment was a sprawling intellectual,
philosophical, cultural, and social movement that
spread through England, France, Germany, and
other parts of Europe during the 1700s. Enabled by
the Scientific Revolution, which had begun as early
as 1500, the Enlightenment represented about as
big of a departure as possible from the Middle
Ages—the period in European history lasting from
roughly the fifth century to the fifteenth.

The millennium of the Middle Ages had been
marked by unwavering religious devotion and
unfathomable cruelty. Rarely before or after did the
Church have as much power as it did during those
thousand years. With the Holy Roman Empire as a
foundation, missions such as the Crusades and
Inquisition were conducted in part to find and
persecute heretics, often with torture and death.
Although standard at the time, such harsh
injustices would eventually offend and scare
Europeans into change. Science, though
encouraged in the late Middle Ages as a form of
piety and appreciation of God’s creation, was
frequently regarded as heresy, and those who tried
to explain miracles and other matters of faith faced
harsh punishment. Society was highly hierarchical,
with serfdom a widespread practice. There were
no mandates regarding personal liberties or rights,
and many Europeans feared religion—either at the
hands of an unmerciful God or at the hands of the
sometimes brutal Church itself.

The Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment,
however, opened a path for independent thought,
and the fields of mathematics, astronomy, physics,
politics, economics, philosophy, and medicine
were drastically updated and expanded. The
amount of new knowledge that emerged was
staggering. Just as important was the enthusiasm
with which people approached the Enlightenment:
intellectual salons popped up in France,
philosophical discussions were held, and the
increasingly literate population read books and
passed them around feverishly. The Enlightenment
and all of the new knowledge thus permeated
nearly every facet of civilized life. Not everyone
participated, as many uneducated, rural citizens
were unable to share in the Enlightenment during
its course. But even their time would come, as the
Enlightenment also prompted the beginning of the
Industrial Revolution, which provided rural dwellers
with jobs and new cities in which to live.

http://m.sparknotes.com/history/european/enlightenment/context.html

5 Likes

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:27pm On Nov 13, 2014
urheme:

Aren't you some beauty,
Very inspirational smiley

Thanks
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:29pm On Nov 13, 2014
urheme:

Inconclusive nonsence, complicated trash, evolution theory is vague and a fat lie.

From the fossils you are talking about, can you in an orderly manner arrange the organisms, starting from the singlar cell,which one first and which is last for now.

Evolution is the only aspect of science i totally dissagree with if not i love all.

I am still studying evolution,not yet conclusive about it though. Even from my Op What I supported was abiogenesis not evolution. Although abiogenesis leads to evolution
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:33pm On Nov 13, 2014
krayzieklay:
@Op.. Are you just realizing that now? Anyways,hope you slept well? Pls,don't forget to wake others ( honourhim, Reyginus, urheme e.t.c) sleeping and snoring beside you. Thanks. wink

No one is sleeping beside me. tongue
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by theunusualmoon(m): 11:34pm On Nov 13, 2014
Dapo777:

I saw this coming.

Those things you call paradoxical are not paradoxical. They have scientific explanation for those things u call paradox.

Paradox is When we have two conflicting attributes in a single entity simultaneously. Like a square circle.
What is the scientific explanation for an organism that is harmless today but becomes harmful tomorrow.If not evolution?

1 Like

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Oduduwaboy(m): 11:38pm On Nov 13, 2014
@dapo777, religion has kept the black man subjugated to his environment whereas the other races have subjugated their environment through a proper application of scientific knowledge. While the European is landing space probes on comet Rosseta , the blackman is busy talking about a non-existent god and his afterlife! stop vexing yourself by discussing with these fake religionists, please!

2 Likes

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:40pm On Nov 13, 2014
theunusualmoon:

What is the scientific explanation for an organism that is harmless today but becomes harmful tomorrow.If not evolution?

Are u referring to Ebola?
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 13, 2014
Dapo777:

Through fossils. I don't get What is it u don't understand or Ar u just playing intellectual pranks?
Let me help you here by making the question clearer.

According to you, micro changes are responsible for macro changes which are not noticed because of the speed involved in the micro change.

Also, by Evolution being continous, macro change keeps changing in the micro level before we get another change in the macro structure. In essence, we are witnessing NOW, a product of micro level change.

Then you went ahead to suggest (you said all these things not me) that we will never witness the macro change a statement opposing your idea that what we are now is a biological change.

So, I ask you, if no generation can witness any of this change then how then can we know that we are in an Evolution? You went ahead to suggest that it is through fossil records. The moment you said this, your entire began to shake again. You know why, if Evolution is continous, then as products of Evolution, we are witness to THIS evolution. I am still coming. Just handle this for now.
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:43pm On Nov 13, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
@dapo777, religion has kept the black man subjugated to his environment whereas the other races have subjugated their environment through a proper application of scientific knowledge. While the European is landing space probes on comet Rosseta , the blackman is busy talking about a non-existent god and his afterlife! stop vexing yourself by discussing with these fake religionists, please!

Abi ooo,just take a look at nairaland. We Nigerians are busy arguing on a paradoxical deity,instead of brainstorming together on how to effect a change. Anything that doesn't bring food to the table immediately isn't worth discussing in Nigeria. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by theunusualmoon(m): 11:44pm On Nov 13, 2014
Dapo777:

Are u referring to Ebola?
No! Not ebola but according to evolution metamorphoses is certain isnt it?
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by krayzieklay(m): 11:47pm On Nov 13, 2014
Dapo777:

No one is sleeping beside me. tongue
Guy,clean your eyes wella now.. Three grown up men are still drooling and snoring beside you. A bowl of chilled water on their faces will do... lol

1 Like

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 13, 2014
Reyginus:
Let me help you here by making the question clearer.

According to you, micro changes are responsible for macro changes which are not noticed because of the speed involved in the micro change.

Also, by Evolution being continous, macro change keeps changing in the micro level before we get another change in the macro structure. In essence, we are witnessing NOW, a product of micro level change.

Then you went ahead to suggest (you said all these things not me) that we will never witness the macro change a statement opposing your idea that what we are now is a biological change.

So, I ask you, if no generation can witness any of this change then how then can we know that we are in an Evolution? You went ahead to suggest that it is through fossil records. The moment you said this, your entire began to shake again. You know why, if Evolution is continous, then as products of Evolution, we are witness to THIS evolution. I am still coming. Just handle this for now.

Ok I get you.
Let me correct myself. We are witnessing evolution only on the micro level. The macro changes due to evolution is seen in fossils of predecessor of the modern animals we have now.

Okay now?
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 13, 2014
theunusualmoon:

No! Not ebola but according to evolution metamorphoses is certain isnt it?

Ok So your point is?
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 11:53pm On Nov 13, 2014
krayzieklay:

Guy,clean your eyes wella now.. Three grown up men are still drooling and snoring beside you. A bowl of chilled water on their faces will do... lol

Lol go to jokes section
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by krayzieklay(m): 11:55pm On Nov 13, 2014
Dapo777:

Abi ooo,just take a look at nairaland. We Nigerians are busy arguing on a paradoxical deity,instead of brainstorming together on how to effect a change. Anything that doesn't bring food to the table immediately isn't worth discussing in Nigeria. cheesy

Looolz... Man gas wack na.

But you sef follow indirectly o... See the fake news you put as your signature in other to generate traffic.. cheesy cheesy
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 12:00am On Nov 14, 2014
Dapo777:

Ok I get you.
Let me correct myself. We are witnessing evolution only on the micro level. The macro changes due to evolution is seen in fossils of predecessor of the modern animals we have now.

Okay now?
Let's move on from where we paused.

Do you think that the evolution of every biological entity started together at a definite time or that they started differently?
To even make it clearer, when it happens in a specie does it begin simultaneously or differently?

Good Night.
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by plaetton: 12:01am On Nov 14, 2014
honourhim:

Do you know that Catholic church contributes to the development of this country in some ways? Ok it is when they support nonsense that you will clap for them? You dey try.

And what exactly do they contribute that cannot be gotten without them?

Is their so-called contribution to development a sort of blood money as a recompense for the havoc they have wrecked on our cultures and identity?

2 Likes

Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 12:02am On Nov 14, 2014
krayzieklay:

Looolz... Man gas wack na.

But you sef follow indirectly o... See the fake news you put as your signature in other to generate traffic.. cheesy cheesy

Na the way be that Na cheesy
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by Nobody: 12:05am On Nov 14, 2014
Reyginus:
Let's move on from where we paused.

Do you think that the evolution of every biological entity started together at a definite time or that they started differently?
To even make it clearer, when it happens in a specie does it begin simultaneously or differently?

Good Night.

I am not in the right position to answer that question, whatever I give as an answer would only be speculative.
Re: I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. by plaetton: 12:09am On Nov 14, 2014
Reyginus:
If everything, even the African environment, was employed in the destruction of the mind of the african then why do we have base it all on Religion in particular?

When this same Religion is seen in high proportion in countries of prosperity what then justifies us to assert that the african mind was destroyed by it?

Wouldn't it be better to suggest that their is something inherent in every man capable of turning anything around it for its personal and selfish gain? Like a kind battle between the ego and alter ego turning every idea in several ways on its head before the stronger wins.

Oh please!

What are the countries of prosperity do you see this same religion practiced in the manner it is practiced in Nigeria?

Our main concern here is why do we stubbornly refuse to let go when even those that brought the crap to us have relegated it to the realms myth ?

I still cannot understand why an African adamantly believes that Jesus is real, died for him, loves him, and is coming back with his space rocket to take him to the darkside of the moon, while the jewish people whose forefathers witnessed the events of 1st century Palestine , say bullshyte.

If the Jews don't buy the crap, no African should be buying it this post-enlightenment era.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Signs To Identify Fake Pastors / Testimonies: Face To Face Encounter With Jesus Christ And The Revelations Of Heaven And Hell / Is Winners Chapel Church Right About This Discrimination Matter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.