Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,702 members, 7,802,092 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York (63982 Views)

Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School / 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:20pm On Nov 15, 2014
MissMeiya:

Are you a judge?

I wish I was.

I deserve to be one.

That is really my calling on Earth.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 15, 2014
Those blaming the school are just being irrational I think.
It's one thing to blame, it's another thing to pin-point exactly what the blamed should have done and if that activity was within the jurisdiction of the blamed.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by opyscol(m): 8:20pm On Nov 15, 2014
AlphaLycan:
There are many sides to a suicide story.....but one sure thing I know is,its rare to see a born and bred Nigerian commit suicide.
Wot of d suicide bombers in the north eastern part of naija?? Were they raised in the US! Or ur one of those "THAT WUD RATHER KILL THEMSELVES THAN COMMIT SUICIDE" ;

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 15, 2014
priscaoge:
[size=14pt] When they are fed with cereals, what do u expect undecided undecided Just because the teacher scolded @ her for cheating n she choose to kill herself? Hmmmm, odikwa egwu!

Welcome to my School Where the exam hall is always filled with security officers who are ready to beat d hell out of u n still drag u to their office for more insults! undecided

Welcome to my school where d students who cheat during exam are made to fill Malpractice form, face the Panel n still get expelled from school.

My school where the lecturers will always insult and embarrass you during lectures. [/size]
as much as I would like to say it's her fault, and that sucide is not a Nigerian way of solving problems, I would also like to add that if you 've not lived through someone's life as he/she has, be cautious with accusations. Sucide takes time to build, being caught cheating might just have been the final straw. Who knows if she just found out that she had HIV, women are weaker vessels u know...nd we ought to respect the dead as well.... Not trying to promote sucide as being a way out of challenges or "depression" as the westerners do call it. I am simply saying it is never what it seems..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:21pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

Its the truth, I'm not playing emotional stuff...

do you know the things the teacher would have said to the girl
do you know what she was going through at home and at school

she died because of what she was going through.... stop commenting out of ignorance, you obviously haven't seen anyone who is suffering from depression... none of your relatives or close friends have suffered from depression so shut the f*ck up...

So you are saying the teachers caused her depression?

Amd you are the one saying someone should not talk out of ignorance?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 15, 2014
Pamcrest:
What a pity! This poor girl was battling depression or some serious spectrum disorder. I think we don't have d full story but the mother partly shares d blame......she's aware of her daughter's condition n d girl should have been placed under some form of controlled learning conditions. If d school knows of her condition, then d instructor is liable......when she caught d girl cheating, she should have involved d school counsellor, given her condition. But this is rhetoric as d girl is dead. What are d lessons learnt from this unfortunate episode?
My humble submission
Of course, the school would know of her health issues.
So many unanswered questions...we don't even know if the German class she was in was part of the controlled learning. Or if the school had done anything to make sure that the girl is safe.
I also wondered why the girl was yelled at if the instructor/school knew she had mental health issues.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

They should have left her with the phone,that's what he is saying
Sagamite:

I wish I was.

I deserve to be one.

That is really my calling on Earth.

LOOOL I love the bolded. grin

"Shut up, counselor! I'm holding you in contempt for being a cretinous fúcktard."

*mutters* "Product of a failed education system..."

1 Like

saxywale:

I am no lawyer but then again. Is there something/anything the school could have done to intervene

I was not there so I cannot tell how the teacher reacted but depression should not be an excuse to cheat so the teacher was right to take away her phone.

I don't know if he yelled but if he did, then it was a mistake. He should not have yelled at a person who suffers from depression.

But then again, did he know that she suffers from depression? In schools sometimes the teacher who invigilates an exam, is not the same teacher who teaches the class and knows the students.

I think that someone who suffers from severe depression and is suicidal should not be at school taking exams but should be treated.
If however the parties involved decide that the kid should take exams, then the kid has to take the exams under equal conditions. Else everybody can claim to be mentally ill and take an exam with the help of google.

The mother decided that her child is able to cope with exam stress. She was wrong, she should blame herself.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

Of course, the school would know of her health issues.
So many unanswered questions...we don't even know if the German class she was in was part of the controlled learning. Or if the school had done anything to make sure that the girl is safe.
I also wondered why the girl was yelled at if the instructor/school knew she had mental health issues.

Don't you also wonder why her mother sent her school knowing she had mental illness?
Why does she let her out of the house ?
She should have kept her at home free from yells even at the height of provocation
Yes
That's what you are saying

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 15, 2014
donnypool:

ya, but the school did what they had to do. holding someone against their wish is kidnap and can be a very good lawsuit.
Law is much more complex than that.In Canada, holding someone (especially one who has mental health issues) against their wish is not kidnap. That is where a citizen arrest usually comes in. A police, peace officer and other citizens can hold a person or arrest a person against the person's wish if there is enough reason to believe the person is suffering from mental health issues and may cause harm to herself or others.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 15, 2014
There is nowhere cheating is tolerated. If you are not an expert in hiding your cheats that's your business. When you are caught, don't blame it on the teach or anybody else but on yourself. The teach made a silly mistake by continually exchanging words with her. It is the instructor duty to make sure she is well taken good care of than shouting or have some wrong words with her. Who knows what slurs the teacher must have used for her and the impression the peer pressure will have on her after the test?

Perhaps, there is a little case there. The parents should try to sue the teach than not trying at all. Meanwhile, Nairaland is full of test cheats! Hahaha...
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Heart2heart(m): 8:26pm On Nov 15, 2014
IMT ENUGU
mohammedmagnus:
please which school do you attend?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 15, 2014
babyosisi:

Do you see any father in that story?
Perhaps a man in the family would have been able to call her to order with this frivolous suit
Two are better than one,the Bible says
That is just my point there

Maybe her father is dead. Maybe not. Irrelevant.

Obama was raised by single mother and became the president of the United States of America so stop generalizing.

Two people can be even more foo*lish than one person.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:26pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

The teacher might not be aware of the victim's health issues. Then again, there was no point yelling at the girl. She could have just reported her to the governing board for the case to be handled properly and not embarrass the poor girl.

It is "embarrassing" if a teacher shouts at a kid that is cheating?

What the fck kind of arguments do liberal funky-wannabe people give for fck sake? undecided

This is the same useless mentality that is destroying UK's kids.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 15, 2014
all4naija:
There is nowhere cheating is tolerated. If you are not an expert in hiding your cheats that's your business. When you are caught, don't blame it on the teach or anybody else but on yourself. The teach made a silly mistake by continually exchanging words with her. It is the instructor duty to make sure she is well taken good care of than shouting or have some wrong words with her. Who knows what slurs the teacher must have used for her and the impression the peer pressure will have on her after the test?

Perhaps, there is a little case there. The parents should try to sue the teach than not trying at all. Meanwhile, Nairaland is full of test cheats! Hahaha...

I quoted it earlier
The city investigated and found no misconduct in the teacher's action and she is not part of the lawsuit
You folks should read the posts carefully

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by zeroshadow: 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

she was suffering from depression.... so the teachers didn't cause it... the teacher influenced It indirectly...

babyosisi:

They should have left her with the phone,that's what he is saying

when did I say they should have left the phone with her

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

You country of residence should be sued for her death.

Or is it not because of your country of residence language she tried to cheat and triggered the whole thing?

Bloody hard language. I have been trying to learn the shyt for years with all their die, der, das (all just to say "the"wink and then Sie, sie, ihre that does not translate directly to an English sentence to the point I am suicidal too.

Abeg Stumm!

ROFL grin grin grin grin grin

I think Nigeria should be sued in the first place for not teaching kids German in pre-school. If they had done it, the girl would have passed easily.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2014
[size=18pt]A city investigation cleared the instructor of any wrongdoing and she is not named in the suit.[/size]

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/mother-teen-killed-sues-10-million-article-1.2008409

[size=18pt]There it is

The teacher did nothing wrong.this is happening in a place where investigations are done thoroughly
There must be a standard of procedure to handle cheating and she did it appropriately,she did nothing wrong
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:29pm On Nov 15, 2014
GlorifiedTunde:
You guys don't understand. She is just a child, she probably doesn't know how wrong it is. Its a medical disease just like depression.

If she was a white kid, the handling would have been better. No one supports cheating, but we all don't know the history of this girl - if she's been abused or not...

May we not have such a child in Jesus name.

You are dumb!

A 17 year old is a child?

A 17 year old is too young to know cheating in an exam is wrong?

And this foool has a right to vote? angry angry angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by 50calibre(m): 8:29pm On Nov 15, 2014
Omotayo was a foolish child, her mother is better off without that burden. I've got no sympathy for anyone who takes their own life, and neither will I mourn such person for even a day. Her mother shouldn't mourn a child who couldn't consider her a reason to live.

Severe bouts of depression is an extremely rare trait among black people, more so Nigerians who are usually exposed to very harsh conditions from birth.

This foolish child emigrated to the US, at 17 she was no longer a toddler, one would expect a Nigerian bred 17 year old child to be mentally & psychologically resilient... I haven't a spent up to 15 years of my life in Nigeria, but I'm hard as nails. That doesn't mean I don't feel depressed at times, but never to the point of contemplating suicide, never!!

No wonder the bible says; foolishness abound in the heart of every child, but the rod shall drive it far away from them. A good lashing to miss Omotayo, could have sent that demon out of her. Why didn't she commit suicide in Nigeria where I'm sure she'd faced far stiffer punishments?

This a story of a foolish child who moved into a new environment & instead of acquiring positive trait, acquired the negative ones.. Suicidal urges are peculiar mostly to white people who feel the need to end their lives when faced with slight difficulty (sometimes, something as little as cyber bullying is enough)

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

she was suffering from depression.... so the teachers didn't cause it... the teacher influenced It indirectly...

when did I say they should have left the phone with her

What should the teacher have done?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

It is "embarrassing" if a teacher shouts at a kid that is cheating?

What the fck kind of arguments do liberal funky-wannabe people give for fck sake? undecided

This is the same useless mentality that is destroying UK's kids.
The kid has mental health problem for f.cuk sake. She is not a normal kid
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:31pm On Nov 15, 2014
babyosisi:

Not a joke o
She has turned to Americans that find someone to blame in order to profit out of misery
She is most likely a single mother
I suspect a husband would have been able to squash the foolishness,two people cannot be foolish simultaneously
Someone told her she could make millions out of this and she ran with it
Remember many of these lawyers take on these cases on contingency
The plaintiff usually doesn't pay a dime till it settles and they take 30% of the claim
If she had to hire a lawyer and pay an hourly rate or daily rate to be represented,she wouldn't attempt this
If it had been a hot dog seller or lunatic that yelled at her,do you think he will be sued?
No lawyer will even take the case
But here there is an established top notch school and a school system they want to milk and they decided to give it a shot

I suspect the lawyer contacted her and she jumped to it

American judges need to start clamping down of frivolous claims by awarding punitive costs.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

You are dumb!

A 17 year old is a child?

A 17 year old is too young to know cheating in an exam is wrong?

And this foool has a right to vote? angry angry angry angry

Some people don't even read the original post let alone the subsequent ones
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by holatin(m): 8:32pm On Nov 15, 2014
another increase in mortality rate
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 15, 2014
babyosisi:

I quoted it earlier
The city investigated and found no misconduct in the teacher's action and she is not part of the lawsuit
You folks should read the posts carefully
The city alone has no right to the investigation. Not until the parent lawyer has battled that out of the court there is no legal right to that claim yet. The city doesn't have the jurisdiction to say what is misconduct or interpret the law. Keep messing with your right! Is yelling at emotional patient not a misconduct on the part of the teacher?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

What should the teacher have done?

Knelt down and begged for the phone
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:33pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

Called her parents

I didn't say it was the school's fault... Every accident is preventable...

Called her parents for what?

How would that have stopped her killing herself?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:34pm On Nov 15, 2014
fr3do:

You profane chimp!
Are u God?

You are a cretinous fuuktard!

I am you GOD!

WORSHIP FOOOL!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:34pm On Nov 15, 2014
babyosisi:

Knelt down and begged for the phone

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Proffdada: 8:35pm On Nov 15, 2014
priscaoge:
[size=14pt] When they are fed with cereals, what do u expect undecided undecided Just because the teacher scolded @ her for cheating n she choose to kill herself? Hmmmm, odikwa egwu!

Welcome to my School Where the exam hall is always filled with security officers who are ready to beat d hell out of u n still drag u to their office for more insults! undecided

Welcome to my school where d students who cheat during exam are made to fill Malpractice form, face the Panel n still get expelled from school.

My school where the lecturers will always insult and embarrass you during lectures. [/size]
I guess most of u never felt the humiliation of being accused of cheating when you are actually far above that, the emotional distress most times are colossal and suicidal which spur outta control when not in check as in this case. bullying is a key feature in this case which was instigated by someone in higher authority. I never supported her action but counseling would have helped

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

'Leaked Mathematics Question Paper': WAEC Reacts / Lady Who Turned A Stripper To Pay Her School Fees Celebrates Graduation (Photos) / 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.