Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,493 members, 7,801,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York (63976 Views)

Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School / 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

she was suffering from depression.... so the teachers didn't cause it... the teacher influenced It indirectly...

when did I say they should have left the phone with her
Exactly...The child has mental health issues...
In as much as I blame the mum for the child's nurturing. I believe the school/institution as a part in the blame too.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by zeroshadow: 8:35pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

What should the teacher have done?

called her parents or guardian

babyosisi:

Don't you also wonder why her mother sent her school knowing she had mental illness?
Why does she let her out of the house ?
She should have kept her at home free from yells even at the height of provocation
Yes
That's what you are saying

Your level of ignorance is annoying...
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Greatihex(m): 8:36pm On Nov 15, 2014
kramer:

I also want to know too because the way you described your school one would assume you schooled in a prison smiley
u neva c anytin self, my sch does worst. The supervisor wl slap u at least three times b4 d security guys wl force u to sign the malpractice form. It's a common thing.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 15, 2014
all4naija:
The city alone has no right to the investigation. Not until the parent lawyer has battled that out of the court there is no legal right to that claim yet. The city doesn't have the jurisdiction to say what is misconduct or interpret the law. Keep messing with your right! Is yelling at emotional patient not a misconduct on the part of the teacher?

If she is emotional enough to recognize that she has her phone with her at an exam,the teacher is within her rights to read her the riot act firmly and that is what she did.
The city agrees and she is still at her job

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

Why and when should they have called her parents?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:37pm On Nov 15, 2014
babyosisi:

They should have left her with the phone,that's what he is saying

When this foools want to start sounding "progressive", they just start sounding like complete ediots.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:37pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

Called her parents for what?

How would that have stopped her killing herself?

Exactly!

If it wasn't from the teacher scolding her for EXAM MALPRACTICE, it would have been by someone walking past her without greeting or saying hello. Eventually she had no emotional fortification to take on the real world.

Hope she's at a better place.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

Exactly...The child has mental health issues...
In as much as I blame the mum for the child's nurturing. I believe the school/institution as a part in the blame too.

Why is the school to blame?
zeroshadow:

Yes
They should have called her parents to come and collect the phone or beg her to hand it over
Kai

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:38pm On Nov 15, 2014
MissMeiya:

LOOOL I love the bolded. grin

"Shut up, counselor! I'm holding you in contempt for being a cretinous fĂșcktard."

*mutters* "Product of a failed education system..."

*STANDING OVATION*

You fcking understand and can vision the scenario perfectly. cool

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by lilmax(m): 8:38pm On Nov 15, 2014
Foolishness, thats what I have to say
all4naija:
The city alone has no right to the investigation. Not until the parent lawyer has battled that out of the court there is no legal right to that claim yet. The city doesn't have the jurisdiction to say what is misconduct or interpret the law. Keep messing with your right! Is yelling at emotional patient not a misconduct on the part of the teacher?
Thank you very much for this.
That is why at Hospitals, sometimes..lawyers are involved when some decisions her made concerning mental health patients.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

Law is much more complex than that.In Canada, holding someone (especially one who has mental health issues) against their wish is not kidnap. That is where a citizen arrest usually comes in. A police, peace officer and other citizens can hold a person or arrest a person against the person's wish if there is enough reason to believe the person is suffering from mental health issues and may cause harm to herself or others.

i'm in the same canada, a friend was caught cheating and the instructor just took their sheet and lead them out. its not his responsibility to find out their next plan of action. equal right for everybody. if you are mentally challenged, you can go to the disability center, and you will write your exam in a separate class.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 15, 2014
2buff:

Exactly!

If it wasn't from the teacher scolding her for EXAM MALPRACTICE, it would have been by someone walking past her without greeting or saying hello. Eventually she had no emotional fortification to take on the real world.

Hope she's at a better place.

The girl had attempted suicide before and didn't succeed
I wonder who yelled that time
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by zeroshadow: 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2014
Sagamite:

Called her parents for what?

How would that have stopped her killing herself?

she walked to the bridge alone.... if they had punished her by keeping her at the principal's office under supervision until her parents arrived it could have been preventable.... No one knows what she was going through at home.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

Law is much more complex than that.In Canada, holding someone (especially one who has mental health issues) against their wish is not kidnap. That is where a citizen arrest usually comes in. A police, peace officer and other citizens can hold a person or arrest a person against the person's wish if there is enough reason to believe the person is suffering from mental health issues and may cause harm to herself or others.

So in this case the teachers should have prevented her from going to the toilet?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by SAMBARRY: 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
grin awon products of the nigerian educational system are typing from experience grin
priscaoge:
[size=14pt] When they are fed with cereals, what do u expect undecided undecided Just because the teacher scolded @ her for cheating n she choose to kill herself? Hmmmm, odikwa egwu!

Welcome to my School Where the exam hall is always filled with security officers who are ready to beat d hell out of u n still drag u to their office for more insults! undecided

Welcome to my school where d students who cheat during exam are made to fill Malpractice form, face the Panel n still get expelled from school.

My school where the lecturers will always insult and embarrass you during lectures. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

she walked to the bridge alone.... if they had punished her by keeping her at the principal's office under supervision until her parents arrived it could have been preventable.... No one knows what she was going through at home.

Are you daft?
The girl said she was going to pee pee and never returned
Now I yelled
Biko don't do anything funny
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

What trash are you chatting?

So you mean in Canada if I see someone with mental health issues, I can detain them as I wish?

How is the teacher going to know she is going to cause harm?

Finally, are you saying it is an OBLIGATION for people in Canada to perform citizens arrest based on their layman understanding?

Or you just thought saying all these would make you sound "modern", "progressive" and "funky"?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
RIP to the poor girl.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

She was caught cheating...
The school had mercy and let her finish....
She submitted her paper and left like everyone else...
Instead of her to go pop champagne and celebrate say dem no fall her hand last last...
She went to jump off a bridge....
This is the school's fault HOW?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by zeroshadow: 8:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Why and when should they have called her parents?

she was unstable...

babyosisi:

Yes
They should have called her parents to come and collect the phone or beg her to hand it over
Kai

your reasoning is out of place..
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
babyosisi:

If she is emotional enough to recognize that she has her phone with her at an exam,the teacher is within her rights to read her the riot act firmly and that is what she did.
The city agrees and she is still at her job
That makes sense but she is aware of her condition before even starting with. There is a way to go around that as instructor or teacher. However, this is about sentiment as emotion is involved in the life of the suicide person.

But, that doesn't deter her parent from taking a lawyer to look into it if she has a case there.
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

You really do not know much about how schools are run.

Do you think the principal is sitting in his / her office all day long?

On some days principals are not even at school but in the town hall negotiating with mayors on budget issues or visiting other schools and developing new concepts.

Teachers have to attend to hundreds of students. They are all important. One kid hurt himself during the break, another one is crying, another wants to talk because someone bullied her. The breaks are short. Teachers have to rush to give lessons, then they have to attend to a meeting.

We are talking about a school here, not about a mental hospital.

Like I said, if she had suffered from severe depression and it was known that she was suicidal, she should not have been taking exams.

The point is, her mother should be THE LAST to put the blame on others.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by idealsico(m): 8:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
That's why I cointinue to pray for Musiwa. I don't know what brought him to this tread.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:45pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

she was suffering from depression.... so the teachers didn't cause it... the teacher influenced It indirectly...

when did I say they should have left the phone with her

And TV did not influence it indirectly?

Newspapers did not influence it indirectly?

Other students did not influence it indirectly?

The examination board did not influence it indirectly?

So how many people should we sue for $10m then for "influencing it indirectly"?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:46pm On Nov 15, 2014
saxywale:

The kid has mental health problem for f.cuk sake. She is not a normal kid

And how is that the school's fault that they need to pay $10m?
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Why is the school to blame?
The school most likely knew the girl had mental health issues. The report said the teacher yelled at her. The teacher was lucky, some mental health patient (most are usually aggressive) would have knocked the teacher out immediately or stabbed her.
Like i said, there are too many unanswered question.

If the girl was normal, i would say she deserved to be yelled or screamed at. But the girl is someone a ''Nigerian'' would call Mad aka w-e-r-e. Just because she is being treated and managed cos of an efficient health care system doesn't still rule out the fact that she has mental health issues.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Sagamite(m): 8:48pm On Nov 15, 2014
babyosisi:

Knelt down and begged for the phone

ROFLMAO!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

That is what our liberal, funky, progressive, modern-wannabees would tell us.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by UjSizzle(f): 8:48pm On Nov 15, 2014
There are too many depressed people in the United States. Why is that? They are supposed to be living the dream life, and yet all I ever hear is how dissatisfied people are with their lives and falling into a depressing well.

I guess life isn't always greener on the other side.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 15, 2014
all4naija:

Absolute nonsense!
I quoted the line from New York daily news and you are counteracting with an idea from your head
The teacher is not named in the lawsuit and was found to do no wrong
You read it there in black and white,if you have a counter news item,quote it

If my child cheats at an exam,somebody better yell at her and when she comes home she will see the mother of all yellings,if koboko no go join am
Re: Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

she was unstable...

your reasoning is out of place..

Are you sure her teacher or the teacher who invigilated the exam knew it?

And even if he knew it, why did the mother think that she was capable of coping with exam stress?

The mother should blame herself first for sending her SICK child to cope with exam stress. She has NO right to sue the school.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

2012/2013 U.t.m.e(jambite),federal Polytechnic Offa, Kwara State. / 'Leaked Mathematics Question Paper': WAEC Reacts / Lady Who Turned A Stripper To Pay Her School Fees Celebrates Graduation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.