Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,397 members, 7,808,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. (2762 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / Should I Quit My Job And Be Self-employed? / My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 15, 2014
Thanks
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by tempex88(m): 10:18am On Nov 15, 2014
Dontrun transport busniess. Try theoption of leave without pay.iam also in a similar situation but I love thefinancial insdustry.save hard, and don't do transport biz pls except u will drive d bus urself

3 Likes

Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 15, 2014
my own view though..
i advice u to gather enough money
Quit your Job and go for the PhD...
you can later become a university lecturer and be also comfortable with your life... smiley smiley smiley
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by zizazizu: 10:20am On Nov 15, 2014
Anything you wake up to that grieves you is worth walking away from, if you have the choice. You said 5 or 10 years to come, Ph.d in what u do is going to carry more weight. Reality check: whether in the bank or outside, the 5yrs will still come to pass. By then, nairaland will start charging for people who are 33yrs old seeking advice abt going for phd or doing a bank job!
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by JayKaba(m): 10:24am On Nov 15, 2014
It appears you are more interested in getting a PhD than working as an electrical engineer. I suggest you pursue your goal and go back to school for the program, moreso you are planning to invest in a business.

However, there is no guarantee that you will get a better job with a PhD degree. I advice you work on your business investment and take whatever job that comes along after the PhD program.
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 15, 2014
JayKaba:
It appears you are more interested in getting a PhD than working as an electrical engineer. I suggest you pursue your goal and go back to school for the program, moreso you are planning to invest in a business.

However, there is no guarantee that you will get a better job with a PhD degree. I advice you work on your business investment and take whatever job that comes along after the PhD program.

Yea bro, my bias strongly tilts towards lecturing. Lecturing accomodates all my personal goals like having a music school and mentoring youths.
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by xfire: 10:44am On Nov 15, 2014
Reading through your post, I will advise you to pursue your PhD dream. Seems money is not your consideration. You want to be fulfilled too.
But why limit yourself to Nigerian universities? If you did fairly well in your B.Eng and MSc programs, you will get scholarships and grants abroad, notably in US and Canada. Most PhD programmes in US universities are on done on scholarship. And with a PhD in engineering from a fairly standard university in US, your chances of getting a job there is high. Even if you decide to come back to Nigeria, you can still get a lecturing job, as many universities offer elect/elect. Either way, you don't lose. Besides, the time you will spend to acquire one will be shorter - 4 years.
I have a few friends currently pursuing their PhD programs on scholarship over there. It's good that you earn well in the bank. That money can helpful in sorting out your application processes.

2 Likes

Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Mclick(m): 10:45am On Nov 15, 2014
I think your choice should be based on prospects, passion and leading. What prospect do you have in banking as against P.hD in Elect Elect, apart from the prospects is, the clear passion. P.hD is a minimum of three years in Nigeria, consider the time too. Note, at a point in any chosen career even the one you have passion for, there will always come a time when you feel like quitting, at that point real success may just be a stone throw away. You may grow to become better than your bosses and contemporaries in banking who knows, Elect Elect P.hD may be where you will make it, but watch it, you have been in the banking industry for a while, thats where you started you Career from and what you want to do by going for a P.hD is transition so, it has to be approached with caution, putting every other things in considerations. If you are not a very top boss in your office, P.hD in Nigeria is a serious task not necessarily because you have to work hard but, sometimes if you are been supervised by a bitter fellow it become hellious, except you want to take the easy way out, you know what I mean. So Bro, put prospects, passion and leading into consideration. Pray about it and be sure

1 Like

Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Orunto: 11:01am On Nov 15, 2014
QUIT.

1 Like

Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by pickabeau1: 11:05am On Nov 15, 2014
Have u considered foreign unis

You may even get grants

Try USA Canada or Europe
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Laird(m): 11:07am On Nov 15, 2014
SAVE FUNDS THAT CAN LAST YOU SEVEN YEARS AND COVER YOUR UNIVERSITY EDUCATION

1 Like

Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 15, 2014
Thanks all for ur time and advise its just that its difficult to leave known for unknown but then the late myles munroe said the greatest tragedy in life is not death but a life without purpose.

How I wish some lecturers could give thier opinions. I am trying to look beyond the present and make far reaching decisions.
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by justfree1(m): 12:42pm On Nov 16, 2014
Job/work situation in Nigeria hardly gives people enough time for anything else, except weekends most times.
Most people would love to build an additional income source but timing is the problem.
I just found a way we could build an additional unlimited income source, part time even while we are at work.
interested? send me a message.
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by 234GT(m): 3:26pm On Nov 16, 2014
What is the fuss about lecturing self? Methinks lecturing is more risky that banking, because of cultists!

My advice is that you should stay there and hope you are promoted, while doing your further studies.

And you need to create a new love for your job. Banking is more interesting when you are still learning the ropes, but after one year, you would have mastered everything and the job becomes boring.

That is when you need to dig out a new love for your job!
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by 2times: 3:46pm On Mar 16, 2015
Guitarlife:
Thanks all for ur time and advise its just that its difficult to leave known for unknown but then the late myles munroe said the greatest tragedy in life is not death but a life without purpose.

How I wish some lecturers could give thier opinions. I am trying to look beyond the present and make far reaching decisions.

I am compelled to respond to this by the spirit;owing to the fact that I was once in your shoes. I am a casual observer on NL,never posting,always watching but I trust that I'll make a difference in someone's life today.

I am a lecturer in one of the government universities but started out as a banker. I worked in 2 new generation banks and ended up in the biggest commercial bank in Nigeria;I was advised with my branch and resigned very shortly afterwards.

Foolish was what everyone called me. My salary was double yours,am in my early 30's,had it all going for me with awesome prospects. One thing was missing- fulfilment. I knew deep down that promotion and salary increases were not a motivation for me. I was born to do something specific-Impart knowledge,change lives. After passing through different phases;one of which you are passing now. I took the bull by the horn. I RESIGNED!.I was equipped with only a first degree and set out for my masters,convinced that someday,I'll stand before people to share my inspiring success story. What sustained me was the fact that I had found my place-It was better for me to perish on my way to fulfilling destiny than to prosper in the wrong place.(I won't perish anyway,because all your provision and protection is in the place of your calling).I eventually got a lecturing job with my first degree and am at the verge of concluding a second masters.

There were a lot of tough times but passion is a force that tough times submit to. My life is much better,trust me,I don't feel like am working at all. I look forward to going to class because its always an awesome session with my students. My exposure through banking makes my lecture different- so the students say. I have hope for the future,there are grants,scholarships,innumerable opportunities which I never knew existed in the academia. I am respected everywhere I go when they hear am a lecturer,I have had my students parents call me to appreciate me for impacting the wards life. I have had many students tell me I inspire them,changed their life etc. I have brought a number of students out of cultism and other social vices;I have a large followership of students who knows that I have demonstrated myself as a person of integrity-never collected bribe,never dated any student.

I believe that 'all men were born great but not all men decides to be'.I sure didn't want to be like my bank ogas who gave 20years to the job and retired into oblivion. There's a time to make the decision but there will not always be.

In banking,the older you become,the less valuable you become while in the academia,the older you become,the more valuable you become. May I not forget to add that am doing well financially too,better than the bank I believe-looking at my income-asset ratio.

I may have written too long a piece but brother-I am living my life and boy do I love it.

8 Likes

Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Nobody: 6:49pm On Mar 16, 2015
2times:

I am compelled to respond to this by the spirit;owing to the fact that I was once in your shoes. I am a casual observer on NL,never posting,always watching but I trust that I'll make a difference in someone's life today.

I am a lecturer in one of the government universities but started out as a banker. I worked in 2 new generation banks and ended up in the biggest commercial bank in Nigeria;I was advised with my branch and resigned very shortly afterwards.

Foolish was what everyone called me. My salary was double yours,am in my early 30's,had it all going for me with awesome prospects. One thing was missing- fulfilment. I knew deep down that promotion and salary increases were not a motivation for me. I was born to do something specific-Impart knowledge,change lives. After passing through different phases;one of which you are passing now. I took the bull by the horn. I RESIGNED!.I was equipped with only a first degree and set out for my masters,convinced that someday,I'll stand before people to share my inspiring success story. What sustained me was the fact that I had found my place-It was better for me to perish on my way to fulfilling destiny than to prosper in the wrong place.(I won't perish anyway,because all your provision and protection is in the place of your calling).I eventually got a lecturing job with my first degree and am at the verge of concluding a second masters.

There were a lot of tough times but passion is a force that tough times submit to. My life is much better,trust me,I don't feel like am working at all. I look forward to going to class because its always an awesome session with my students. My exposure through banking makes my lecture different- so the students say. I have hope for the future,there are grants,scholarships,innumerable opportunities which I never knew existed in the academia. I am respected everywhere I go when they hear am a lecturer,I have had my students parents call me to appreciate me for impacting the wards life. I have had many students tell me I inspire them,changed their life etc. I have brought a number of students out of cultism and other social vices;I have a large followership of students who knows that I have demonstrated myself as a person of integrity-never collected bribe,never dated any student.

I believe that 'all men were born great but not all men decides to be'.I sure didn't want to be like my bank ogas who gave 20years to the job and retired into oblivion. There's a time to make the decision but there will not always be.

In banking,the older you become,the less valuable you become while in the academia,the older you become,the more valuable you become. May I not forget to add that am doing well financially too,better than the bank I believe-looking at my income-asset ratio.

I may have written too long a piece but brother-I am living my life and boy do I love it.
Thanx bro I so much appreciate ur input.
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Eskay201: 7:25pm On Mar 16, 2015
Career with income

Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Heartbeatmii: 9:16pm On Mar 16, 2015
Op

If you have a passion for a PhD, please quit your job but before you do try to apply to schools in the united states as there are innumerable funding opportunities for PhD in the US. even for Msc sef. you are 27 right? apply for PhD and also Msc on the side just in case the admissions committee says that your research experience is not enough for a PhD.

I was in your shoes too, working in an FMCG in Nigeria, pay was good but i went to bed at night with my mind on something else. I was tired of my job. so i applied for masters and got funding..

Goodluck
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jun 07, 2015
Heartbeatmii:
Op

If you have a passion for a PhD, please quit your job but before you do try to apply to schools in the united states as there are innumerable funding opportunities for PhD in the US. even for Msc sef. you are 27 right? apply for PhD and also Msc on the side just in case the admissions committee says that your research experience is not enough for a PhD.

I was in your shoes too, working in an FMCG in Nigeria, pay was good but i went to bed at night with my mind on something else. I was tired of my job. so i applied for masters and got funding..

Goodluck
Please can you kindly elaborate on how u got funding for the masters abroad? Thanks
Re: Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. by Coolcube: 2:09pm On Jun 08, 2015
2times:

You don't know how much you've bossted my morale. I'm just about picking a PhD form this very week. I considered stopping for a while but your advise gave me a strong push. I've always wanted to end my life in a university environment, turned down a lucrative job offer because it would hamper my master's programme. I targeted a PhD at 28 and I'm still under 25 now, so I know it's achievable ny God's grace. Thanks bro. I would like to you better, outside NL. Thanks once more.

(1) (Reply)

Http://fans2earn.com/?ref=1417 / Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? / CAC Business Registration For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.