Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,841 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) (30814 Views)

When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Radiator Fan Only Works When AC Is Switched On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by itsmayiela(m): 8:19am On Nov 16, 2014
HELP!
I drove a friend's car and when i came to a stop, i discovered that the radiator fans are misbehaving. they are constantly running even when i off the ignition.

this is bad.
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by Zaikon(m): 9:08am On Nov 16, 2014
Wen some engines are shut off, especially on a hot day, de
temperature in de engine can actually This is y de electric coolin fans can run for
several minutes in order to cool down de engine
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by chillex8(m): 9:14am On Nov 16, 2014
Before you started the car, were they running?

If no, then your engine was overheating, and that was a protective measure to cool it down.

It must have stopped running after a while..

Get your cooling system checked.

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by AutosBay(m): 9:22am On Nov 16, 2014
I would check the coolant sending unit sensor or a relay. (Keep in mind, it's almost never the relay..) But if it does it when its hot its 100% normal for that to happen. Does the car seem to be running at the same temp it always used to? If it was somewhat overheating or running at a hotter temp it may be keeping the fan on to cool it down after its off. A lot of cars will do that. But if its not doing it when its cold I wouldn't even worry about it. its totally normal for a car to do that.

2 Likes

Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 16, 2014
Winch kin motor?
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by mayor2013: 11:22am On Nov 16, 2014
CityNG:
Winch kin motor?

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by mayor2013: 11:24am On Nov 16, 2014
Have never seen where a car after you must have shut down the entire system the fan still works. Am sure those road side Acradabada electricians have done it again

3 Likes

Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by Nobody: 11:39am On Nov 16, 2014
The 80s and 90s VW products actually do it.

The design is to have the fan switch fail into an on position to protect the engine.

Many a battery have been killed due to this because they normally run in for a few minutes after you stop. So you don't know if it's the normal few minutes run or a permanent one when you park and walk away.

2 Likes

Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 16, 2014
mayor2013:

grin grin grin grin

Oga moderator wants us to be more funnier in the section grin
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by king406(m): 12:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
Peugeot cars do that after driving for a long time without air con. They use electric radiator fan and it works for a couple of minutes when the engine is hot even if the engine/ignition is off.

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 16, 2014
CityNG:

Oga moderator wants us to be more funnier in the section grin

You know say you fit still become comedian?
My GOD you're very funny. grin

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:46pm On Nov 16, 2014
shocked
mayor2013:
Have never seen where a car after you must have shut down the entire system the fan still works. Am sure those road side Acradabada electricians have done it again

shocked. Passat, santana old school 1980's
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by mayor2013: 4:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
CityNG:
The 80s and 90s VW products actually do it.

The design is to have the fan switch fail into an on position to protect the engine.

Many a battery have been killed due to this because they normally run in for a few minutes after you stop. So you don't know if it's the normal few minutes run or a permanent one when you park and walk away.

Yea bro. You flashed me back on this one. Volks wagen does that. I know of the volks wagen LT. But the time frame is just way too small to count. But this "op" own is just grin grin
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by mayor2013: 4:02pm On Nov 16, 2014
itsmayiela:
HELP!
I drove a friend's car and when i came to a stop, i discovered that the radiator fans are misbehaving. they are constantly running even when i off the ignition.

this is bad.

@ "op" pls tell us what car is this?
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by itsmayiela(m): 5:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
Its a 1996 VW vento. yes, the roadside rewires did some magic on the thermostat and the car starts with the fan running (with or without ac)n

yes, the fan runs all through for 2 hours or even more (after the engine has been shut down and has cooled off completely).

The vehicle's ECU was swapped some weeks back but all had been okay except for this new development. Now, the fan hardly comes on when the AC is put on (it comes on and off arbitrarily and without any protocol).

I suspect a bad relay or the coolant sensor (the roadside rewires will still feast on us again)
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by itsmayiela(m): 5:36pm On Nov 16, 2014
the raditor fan blows at a very slow speed when the engine is off but never switches off. we had to remove one of the battery's terminals b4 it went off.

NB: the fan was still running even when we removed fuse 19 controlling the radiator fan
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by erico2k2(m): 3:01pm On Nov 17, 2014
itsmayiela:
the raditor fan blows at a very slow speed when the engine is off but never switches off. we had to remove one of the battery's terminals b4 it went off.

NB: the fan was still running even when we removed fuse 19 controlling the radiator fan
there lies your problem, tempering with the thermostat.I hope others read this and learn from your mistake,would you replace your liver with a kidney? that's what happened there.
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by itsmayiela(m): 3:32pm On Nov 17, 2014
AutosBay:
I would check the coolant sending unit sensor or a relay. (Keep in mind, it's almost never the relay..) But if it does it when its hot its 100% normal for that to happen. Does the car seem to be running at the same temp it always used to? If it was somewhat overheating or running at a hotter temp it may be keeping the fan on to cool it down after its off. A lot of cars will do that. But if its not doing it when its cold I wouldn't even worry about it. its totally normal for a car to do that.

Oh yes, Autosbay won the day. it is surely the coolant sending unit sensor that got soaked with muddy waters and thereby created partial contact. The roadsider got the entire unit soaked in water containing detergent (i was scared the unit will be damaged) and got it thoroughly washed and sunned. The fans and the airconditioner have started behaving normal now.

In all, the roadsider rewire collected N800 from me.

Thanks to all NLanders for the info.

Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 17, 2014
OP, you need to replace your temperature fan switch except if the "rewire" has shorted the wire to continuously run.

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by itsmayiela(m): 6:08pm On Nov 17, 2014
CityNG:
OP, you need to replace your temperature fan switch except if the "rewire" has shorted the wire to continuously run.

Oh yes, roadside rewires, by default, always connect car fans to be constantly running. this process they cannot reverse. More reasons why we urge u guys to come establish decent garages here in naija.

2 Likes

Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 17, 2014
itsmayiela:

Oh yes, roadside rewires, by default, always connect car fans to be constantly running. this process they cannot reverse. More reasons why we urge u guys to come establish decent garages here in naija.

Actively working on that but it's sort of a long term project.

My idea is not just a garage but also include a wrecking yard.
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by redcliff: 7:57am On Dec 03, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
shocked

shocked. Passat, santana old school 1980's

Nobody beats the bolded to that... word!
Re: Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) by pademi(m): 8:28pm On Dec 25, 2022
My 2012 Toyota Vensa radiator fan starts intermittently without even when the ignition is off and the engine is cool, pls how can this be corrected?

(1) (Reply)

Fatal Accident On Benin Expressway (Graphic Photos) / South Africa Nervous Over Nigeria's Rising Auto Industry / Could This Be The Reason For High Fuel Consumption?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.