Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. (45230 Views)

7 Most Dangerous Roads To Travel In Nigeria( SEE PHOTOS) / Nigerian Visa Named The 9th Hardest In The World / Cities With The Best Roads In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by braine(m): 2:27pm On Nov 16, 2014
Ever wondered how types of roads are determined? There are many acceptable definitions for these, this is just one set, it is highly likely you have seen something different. Different places will have different rules on whats what or no rules at all. There are literally dozens of right answers to this. Almost all of these should really be affixed with "is usually" but because of how long this has gotten, It can't include every exception and variation.

*A road has no special qualifiers. It connects point a to point b.

*A street connects buildings together, usually in a city, usually east to west, opposite of avenue.

*An avenue runs north south. Avenues and streets may be used interchangeably for directions, usually has median

*.A boulevard is a street with trees down the middle or on both sides

*.A lane is a narrow street usually lacking a median.

*A drive is a private, winding road

*A way is a small out of the way road

*A court usually ends in a cul de sac or similar little loop

*A plaza or square is usually a wide open space, but in modern definitons, one of the above probably fits better for a plaza as a road.

*A terrace is a raised flat area around a building. When used for a road it probably better fits one of the above.

*A close is similar to a court, a short road serving a few houses, may have cul de sac

*A run is usually located near a stream or other small body of water

*A place is similar to a court, or close, usually a short skinny dead end road, with or without cul de sac, sometimes p shaped

*A bay is a small road where both ends link to the same connecting road

*A crescentis a windy s like shape, or just a crescent shape, for the record, above definition of bay was also given for crescent

*A trail is usually in or near a wooded area

*A highway is a major public road, usually connecting multiple cities

*A motorway is similar to a highway, with the term more common. No stopping, no pedestrian or animal traffic allowed

*An interstate is a highway system connecting usually connecting multiple states, although some exist with no connections

*A turnpike is part of a highway, and usully has a toll, often located close to a city or commercial are

*A freeway is part of a highway with 2 or more lanes on each side, no tolls, sometimes termedexpressway, no intersections or cross streets.

*A parkway is a major public road, usually decorated, sometimes part of a highway, has traffic lights.

*A causeway combines roads and bridges, usually to cross a body of water

*Circuit and speedwayare used interchangeably, usually refers to a racing course, practically probably something above.

*As the name implies, gardenis usually a well decorated small road, but probably better fits an above

*A view is usually on a raised area of land, a hill or something similar.

*A byway is a minor road, usually a bit out of the way and not following main roads.

*A cove is a narrow road, can be sheltered, usually near a larger body of water or mountains

*A row is a street with a continuous line of close together houses on one or both sides, usually serving a specific function like a frat

*A beltway is a highway surrounding an urban area

*A quay is a concrete platform running along water

*A crossing is where two roads meet

*An alley is narrow path or road between buildings, sometimes connects streets, not always driveable

*A point is usually dead ends at a hill

*A grove is thickly sheltered by trees

*A driveway almost always private, short, leading to a single residence or a few related ones

*Aroundabout or traffic circlecircle around a traffic island with multiple connecting routes, a roundabout is usually smaller, with less room for crossing and passing, and safer

These aren't hard and fast rules. Most cities and such redefine them their own way about what road can be called what.

237 Likes 50 Shares

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by Olucheye(m): 2:53pm On Nov 16, 2014
Thank You for sharing....always got me wondering why they've been all named differently and I've unsuccessfully tried to figure it out till now.

Bless you.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by farem: 2:55pm On Nov 16, 2014
After about 30 minutes of this thread, only single comment is found here. Were it be it's about "who rocks better" "miss or hit" "oh my god, see how butt..." and the like trashes, more views/comments would have been recorded/made.

I appreciate this piece of educative thread. Thanks

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 16, 2014
Hmmm..Nice to know
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 16, 2014
SuperMartins:
Hmmm..Nice to know

Wetin you dey nice to know?

Anyway in my hood, we have street, road, main road and express-road

That's all grin

@OP: what's a median? I saw it in ya post

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 16, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Anyway in my hood, we have street, road, main toad and express-road

That's all grin

abi naa..anyways ,My side is an avenue so I never really knew d reasons for such naming..used to think they were named because of d class of d occupants who live around dat vicinity..but now am more enlightened by this..happy Sunday to u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
SuperMartins:
abi naa..anyways ,My side is an avenue so I never really knew d reasons for such naming..used to think they were named because of d class of d occupants who live around dat vicinity..but now am more enlightened by this..happy Sunday to u

Me too, our own is a close, and it has just one entry/exit point. I felt that's why embarassed

4 Likes

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by braine(m): 3:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Anyway in my hood, we have street, road, main toad and express-road

That's all grin

A median is some sort of pavement that divides the road in the middle.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Me too, our own is a close, and it has just one entry/exit point. I felt that's why embarassed
cool if u ask me..jxt a few houses with lotsa calm neighbours..na dat kind area I prefer..
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
Nawa o! Indeed, we won't stop learning till we die.

OP thanks for this post.

2 Likes

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by nawtibownie: 3:34pm On Nov 16, 2014
Thanks for this piece, OP
A close is more like a cul de sac,a short. and narrow road.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by kuuljay(m): 4:21pm On Nov 16, 2014
Yard!!! I dey hear yard for my area but I no see am here,why the segregation

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by braine(m): 4:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
kuuljay:
Yard!!! I dey hear yard for my area but I no see am here,why the segregation

Oga, na you go describe that one oo.. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by braine(m): 8:07pm On Nov 16, 2014
nawtibownie:
Thanks for this piece, OP
A close is more like a cul de sac,a short. and narrow road.

Thanks. Forgot to include that.

I found something more enlightening down the other pages.
lomomike:

Nice work pal, I enjoy this however, little correction won't be bad bro,

@ bolded, a road has special qualifiers. It goes beyond connecting point A to B.

Roads are divided into three (3) vis:
Access Roads, Collector Roads and Distributor Roads.

Access roads are basically highways which connects one settlement, town, state with another. In Nigeria planning, the setback for Access roads are minimum of 45m, and highways usually have a width of 18-21m.
In road transport definition, they usually have fewer entry, U turn and exit points to minimize congestion, obstruction of free traffic flow and reduce accidents. Example is murltala mohammed expressway which links Zuba to AYA roundabout, Giri, Airport, Lugbe highway.

Collector roads: are roads which links the access roads with the distributor roads. They are roads which runs inside towns, villages, estates. Example is The road linking FHA Lugbe to the expressway is one example, and Sultan Dasuki way, kubwa and the Road at the Gwarinpa Gates which extends from Gwarinpa to Kubwa Expressway are other examples.

Distributors are roads which links from houses to collector roads, eg, the street/road linking to your own compound, close, house, cull de sacs etc.

This is highway and urban infrastructure/ urban development planning definition for roads.

NOTE: Every region, country have their own specified width and setback based on population density, vehicular speed, and volume etc consideration.

Other types of lesser road definition are shared service roads, shared service housing squares etc but these aren't common in Nigeria.
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by kelechiMarie(f): 9:41am On Nov 17, 2014
Great stuff
kisskisskisskisscoolkisskiss
kiss
kisskiss
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by kelechiMarie(f): 9:45am On Nov 17, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

kachi is here kiss kiss make i book space
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 17, 2014
kelechiMarie:
kachi is here kiss kiss make i book space

hahaha. Make yourself comfortable - hope you learnt something? I believe you did kiss

1 Like

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by kelechiMarie(f): 3:13pm On Nov 17, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

hahaha. Make yourself comfortable - hope you learnt something? I believe you did kiss
kisssure I did I didn't know half of those stuff before
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by braine(m): 1:38pm On Nov 19, 2014
farem:
After about 30 minutes of this thread, only single comment is found here. Were it be it's about "ho rocks better" "miss or hit" "oh my god, see how butt..." and the like trashes, more views/comments would have been recorded/made.

I appreciate this piece of educative thread. Thanks

The thing is that mods like Obinoscopy et al won't see this thread. The 'general' section is generally neglected.

2 Likes

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by HawksDude(m): 4:17pm On Dec 01, 2014
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by braine(m): 4:03pm On Dec 14, 2014
[quote author=HawksDude post=28503602][/quote]

smiley
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by Jibsonified(m): 8:10pm On Dec 16, 2014
This would sound lyka cliche NL, but seriously post lyk this deserve FrontPage

LAST BULLET:
Braine u make brain with this post.
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by braine(m): 8:20pm On Dec 16, 2014
Jibsonified:
This would sound lyka cliche NL, but seriously post lyk this deserve FrontPage

LAST BULLET:
Braine u make brain with this post.

Jibson baba, that's how informative posts are usually neglected. Well, hopefully, the happy-finger front-page-updater mod would see it.

1 Like

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by braine(m): 8:27pm On Feb 06, 2015
cheesy
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by FemiAdenekan(m): 8:15pm On Mar 21, 2015
Lalasticlala should do justice to this.

1 Like

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by 5p1naz(m): 8:31pm On Mar 21, 2015
Lol
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by michaelbiz: 8:31pm On Mar 21, 2015
My dear, na for Yankee dem dey rmbr all dis one oh.
For here na things like cele bus-stop, yellow corner, new garage, and waterside dey reign wink cheesy

3 Likes

Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by tiamiyukunle69(m): 8:31pm On Mar 21, 2015
Educating
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by holluwai(m): 8:32pm On Mar 21, 2015
How many of this we get for Nigeria?

Haven't seen Any Blv.
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by irishCream: 8:33pm On Mar 21, 2015
wink
Re: How Roads Are Named; The Difference Between An Ave, St, Ln, Dr, Way, Blvd Etc. by Misogynist2014(m): 8:33pm On Mar 21, 2015
fenks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rivers State Unveils Fuel Subsidy Intervention Buses / Accident Kills 4 Keke Riders In Abuja, People On The Run (Photos) / Kano Longest Underpass Ready For Use (video, Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.