Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:24 AM

How To Write A Lives Essay For The New York Times - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How To Write A Lives Essay For The New York Times (555 Views)

Help With Motivational Essay For Msc / The New York Times Names The Heir To Chinua Achebe / Essay For Volunteer Group Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Write A Lives Essay For The New York Times by Orikinla(m): 3:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
The “Lives” essay has been running in our magazine nearly every week since 1996. For those who don’t know, it is a place for true personal stories, running about 800 words long, and in the print edition, it’s the last bit of editorial content, right inside the back cover. Though we do solicit professional writers, it is open to anyone with a good tale to tell, and we try as best we can to keep up with the steady torrent of submissions. At the risk of making our jobs utterly impossible, I want to encourage even more writers to take the plunge — because the more stories we get, the higher the quality of what ends up on the page. In doing this, it is not our intention to set people up for failure. The truth is, while getting published is a wonderful achievement, the process of writing a story is itself a rewarding experience. You won’t be sorry for having tried.

To help you think about how you might approach writing your own “Lives” essay, I asked the magazine’s editors for a single, succinct piece of advice. This is obviously not meant to be a comprehensive list, and we would love for readers (and writers) to submit their own counsel in the comments section.

Here’s what my editors suggest:
• More action, more details, less rumination. Don’t be afraid of implicitness. And the old Thom Yorke line: “Don’t get sentimental. It always ends up drivel.”

• If it reads like it would make for a Hallmark TV episode, don’t submit it.

• Meaning (or humor, or interestingness) is in specific details, not in broad statements.

• Write a piece in which something actually happens, even if it’s something small.

• Don’t try to fit your whole life into one “Lives.”

• Don’t try to tell the whole story.

• Do not end with the phrase “I realized that … ”

• Tell a small story — an evocative, particular moment.

• Better to start from something very simple that you think is interesting (an incident, a person) and expand upon it, rather than starting from a large idea that you then have to fit into an short essay. For example, start with “the day the Santa Claus in the mall asked me on a date” rather than “the state of affairs that is dating in an older age bracket.”

• Where, exactly, did it start?

• Write past what you think the end of the story is. (Hat tip to Raymond Carver.)

• Do not make it about illness or death, unless that is the story you have to tell.

• Try an Oblique Strategy.

• Go to the outer limit of your comfort zone in revealing something about yourself.

• Embrace your own strangeness.

• If you can’t write it, try telling it.

Oh, and here’s the address for submitting your essay: lives@nytimes.com.

Courtesy of http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/author/michael-chima-ekenyerengozi

(1) (Reply)

Stop Reading And Start Acting / How To Earn Money Through Writing / Episode 12: Chronicles Of Isioma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.