Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script (49566 Views)

History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization / Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? / Original Nigerian Inhabitants? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 11:16am On Nov 18, 2014
Fresia01:
I learnt about nsibidi in university.... more of an igbo thing
Any university that thought you that is a fake university.
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by iamord(m): 11:22am On Nov 18, 2014
pak:

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Am extremely impressed by this. You must be a very very intelligent person ! Thumbs UP.

Please I have a few questions for you MissMeiya

* What nationality are you ?
* Where were you born ?
* Where did you school and what course ?
* Wher do you work and what do you do presently.

Don't mind my 'plenty' questions just impressed by your knowledge, works and that has made me curious

I have noticed her on here and can see she is smart.. She's definitely not following the crowd mentality

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by latolak(m): 11:25am On Nov 18, 2014
Very Interesting...

Learning it would be a tough task. Unfortunately we are in an era where learning is going out of fashion.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by christopher123(m): 11:26am On Nov 18, 2014
The Ekpe is a men’s society found in Abiriba, Aro-chukwu, Ohafia and many other Bende communities in Igbo land, it is a variation of the important Egbo Ejagham ( Ekoi) in the Upper Cross-River as well as the Efik Ekpe Society of Calabar. Egbo means leopard in Ejagham, while Ekpe is also the Efik/Ibibio word for the powerful creature (leopard) which is the symbol of the organisation. It is pertinent to note that Agu is the name of the leopard in Igbo, therefore it is clear that the Cross-River Igbos borrowed the Efik/Ibibio word.

In Aro-chukwu and Bende, the Ekpe society was the main legislative and judicial force in community government in the days of old. The striking, symbol-laden fabric of stich and dyed indigo and white (Ukara) is the Ekpe cloth in which the esoteric “language” of Nsibidi is embodied. Strong creatures of the forest, are important symbols of the Ukara cloth and this symbolizes the powerful authority of the Ekpe society.

Nsibidi is an ancient system of graphic communication dating back to at least AD 170. It has a variety of different characters and is indigenous to areas of Southeastern Nigeria and Southwestern Cameroon in the Cross River region, some of the major towns and cities that use Nsibidi are Abiriba, Arochukwu, Calabar, Ikom , Ohafia and other smaller towns within the Ejagham/Ekoi , Efik, Ibibio and Igbo speaking nationalities, it was also taken to Cuba and the Americas via the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. The Nsibidi name changed among the different groups, for example among the Igbo it is generally known as Nsibiri while in Cuba it is called Anaforuana.

Nsibidi is aesthetically compelling, encoded and does not correspond to any spoken language. It is a graphic script whose symbols refer to abstract concepts, actions and whose use facilitates communication among peoples speaking different languages. It comprises of hundreds of symbols that can be drawn in the air (as gestures, on the ground, on skin (as tattoos), on houses, on art forms, such as masks and textiles (Ukara). The early European missionaries and writers were able to record about 200 of these Nsibidi characters.

The Ekpe entourage comprises of the knit-bodied maskers “the runners” who are said to be the servants or slaves of Ekpe from the spirit world, when the masquerade is dancing it continuously sends signals and messages (Nsibidi) which only the initiated can understand. Each movement of the masquerade tells a story. In the ancient times the runners carried out regulatory functions in the name of presiding Ekpe spirit. The Ekpe spirit is housed within the Ukara- dressed “stationary masker” Uluo Ekpe (the house of Ekpe) from which the mysterious voice of Ekpe is heard during the funeral celebrations of its members.

The Ekpe Abiriba was brought from the Ena clan in the upper Cross-River during migration, hence in one of their songs, they say “Ekpe Ya Nko”, Nko being one of the homes of Abiriba Ena. To confirm the authenticity of the origin of the Abiriba Kingdom, the Ekpe Abiriba added a replica of a canoe and paddle to the Ekpe entourage indicating the crossing of the river, when the replica canoe is in motion it is referred to as Ubom Marima, the good boat.

The exhibition of the Ekpe society entourage is quite spectacular and it is with pleasure that we share with you pictures of the Ekpe entourage, which again would be on display during the Igwa Mang festivities in Abiriba this December.

notobs:
[b]Nsibidi is the sacred Language of the Sacred Ekpe cultural society practiced by Efik/Ibibio people of cross river and Akwa Ibom State. This is well documented in history. The Ekpe culture were also exported to cuba, brazil and the carribean by the Efik ibibio Ancestral people through slaverywith it sacred language for the initiates of that society, In Cuba It was called Abakua where the practice was suprisingly preserved after all these years. and in 2004/2005 the Abakua of cuba Came to calabar for a cultural exchange where the ekpe dance, songs and Nsibidi the language of communication were compared to the Ekpe display of the calabar and the similarities were glaring and the Abakua were able to communicate effectively with the calabar ekpe using the sacred language Nsibidi to the Amazement of the initiates of both countries http://afrocubaweb.com/efik.htm

The Igbos do not have anything to do with Ekpe, nor Nsibidi its sacred language. The author of this piece is deceptive and wallowing in revisionist history. The Igbos have their own rich cultural heritage, they should rejoice in that, and not try to hijack what doesn't belong to them.
[/b]

7 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

[s]Good grief. I knew it would only be a matter of time. Did I say it was Igbo? I'm not even Igbo.

Can't you read?

Not to mention I did use quotes and citations, so take it up with whoever I quoted.[/s]

Edit: I'm supposed to be working on my temper.

*smile* You're right. But I didn't say that.

lmao.....walahi u get scoin scoin for head....lol.
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 11:30am On Nov 18, 2014
Radoillo:

Before you start having a convulsion over what I never said, Nsibidi originated from the Ekoi/Ejagham people and spread from there to the Efik/Ibibio and the Eastern Igbo.

And you should get some education before coming here to say that the Eastern Igbo do not/did not practise Ekpe.
Thats in your imagination playing tricks with sacred facts, stop this usless revisionist. you can go to Wikipedia and edit and manipulate it to fit your revisionist history, The Efik Ibibio people are by far smarter than that, the linguistic dept and arts department at the university of Calabar and Uyo have done extensive scholarly work on Nsibidi and all our common and unique cultural practices and they are documented in Libraries allover the world, If you knew how to do research you would have found the facts for your self.

Manipulating Wikipedia is not a highly scholastic exercise anyone with a third grade education can do that. Keep wallowing in your intellectual fraud.
This your new found fad with Nsibidi, the sacred language of a sacred Ekpe cultural group will soon fade, Ekpe and Nsibidi will outlive you, your fad and your intellectual fraud just as it has done after all this centuries of unslaught from slavery, to colonialism, to christianity and modernism.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 11:37am On Nov 18, 2014
christopher123:
The Ekpe is a men’s society found in Abiriba, Aro-chukwu, Ohafia and many other Bende communities in Igbo land, it is a variation of the important Egbo Ejagham ( Ekoi) in the Upper Cross-River as well as the Efik Ekpe Society of Calabar. Egbo means leopard in Ejagham, while Ekpe is also the Efik/Ibibio word for the powerful creature (leopard) which is the symbol of the organisation. It is pertinent to note that Agu is the name of the leopard in Igbo, therefore it is clear that the Cross-River Igbos borrowed the Efik/Ibibio word.

In Aro-chukwu and Bende, the Ekpe society was the main legislative and judicial force in community government in the days of old. The striking, symbol-laden fabric of stich and dyed indigo and white (Ukara) is the Ekpe cloth in which the esoteric “language” of Nsibidi is embodied. Strong creatures of the forest, are important symbols of the Ukara cloth and this symbolizes the powerful authority of the Ekpe society.

Nsibidi is an ancient system of graphic communication dating back to at least AD 170. It has a variety of different characters and is indigenous to areas of Southeastern Nigeria and Southwestern Cameroon in the Cross River region, some of the major towns and cities that use Nsibidi are Abiriba, Arochukwu, Calabar, Ikom , Ohafia and other smaller towns within the Ejagham/Ekoi , Efik, Ibibio and Igbo speaking nationalities, it was also taken to Cuba and the Americas via the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. The Nsibidi name changed among the different groups, for example among the Igbo it is generally known as Nsibiri while in Cuba it is called Anaforuana.

Nsibidi is aesthetically compelling, encoded and does not correspond to any spoken language. It is a graphic script whose symbols refer to abstract concepts, actions and whose use facilitates communication among peoples speaking different languages. It comprises of hundreds of symbols that can be drawn in the air (as gestures, on the ground, on skin (as tattoos), on houses, on art forms, such as masks and textiles (Ukara). The early European missionaries and writers were able to record about 200 of these Nsibidi characters.

The Ekpe entourage comprises of the knit-bodied maskers “the runners” who are said to be the servants or slaves of Ekpe from the spirit world, when the masquerade is dancing it continuously sends signals and messages (Nsibidi) which only the initiated can understand. Each movement of the masquerade tells a story. In the ancient times the runners carried out regulatory functions in the name of presiding Ekpe spirit. The Ekpe spirit is housed within the Ukara- dressed “stationary masker” Uluo Ekpe (the house of Ekpe) from which the mysterious voice of Ekpe is heard during the funeral celebrations of its members.

The Ekpe Abiriba was brought from the Ena clan in the upper Cross-River during migration, hence in one of their songs, they say “Ekpe Ya Nko”, Nko being one of the homes of Abiriba Ena. To confirm the authenticity of the origin of the Abiriba Kingdom, the Ekpe Abiriba added a replica of a canoe and paddle to the Ekpe entourage indicating the crossing of the river, when the replica canoe is in motion it is referred to as Ubom Marima, the good boat.

The exhibition of the Ekpe society entourage is quite spectacular and it is with pleasure that we share with you pictures of the Ekpe entourage, which again would be on display during the Igwa Mang festivities in Abiriba this December.

You can scream all you want a decieve those you can decieve, the fact and the truth is that you and your cohorts are wallowing in intellectual fraud by participating in revisionist history.
Here are the facts Igbos have nothing to do with Ekpe, Nsibidi is the language of Ekpe cultural group.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Blueboy146(m): 11:38am On Nov 18, 2014
#booked
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by newscontinental: 11:38am On Nov 18, 2014
Please where can I learn this language?
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Haryorqunley(m): 11:40am On Nov 18, 2014
Great job
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 11:42am On Nov 18, 2014
newscontinental:
Please where can I learn this language?
you can start by initiating in Ekpe cultural group where generations of young men over the centuries have initiated and you can learn the real Nsibidi lanugage not this fad. fads are fleeting just like what this OP is propagating. the real Nsibidi is spoken by the initiate of the Ekpe Cultural society.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by jchima14: 11:45am On Nov 18, 2014
nice peace of work

If you don't pay attention to these 5 areas, divorce could be imminent
source: [url="http://e%reporter.com.ng/index.php/more-news/life-style-news/item/1451-if-you-don-t-pay-attention-to-these-5-areas-divorce-could-be-imminent"]e reporter news[/url]
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by christopher123(m): 11:45am On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

You can scream all you want a decieve those you can decieve, the fact and the truth is that you and your cohorts are wallowing in intellectual fraud by participating in revisionist history.
Here are the facts Igbos have nothing to do with Ekpe, Nsibidi is the language of Ekpe.

my dear this is not a peniss measuring contest, the word or name NSIBIDI is just igbo, meaning from the begining or earlier depending on the contest, mind you we are here to learn and we in south east with efik has so many similarity in culture till today, i do not expect you in South West to understnad this miasma but maube check this link out biko

http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/page/3

6 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by spade: 11:45am On Nov 18, 2014
I've known about this system for a while now.
It would really be nice to incorporate into some graphic designs.
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by coolzeal(m): 11:48am On Nov 18, 2014
A script is not only a technology for writing the spoken word, It is also a cultural symbol of a people and their identity. I thought we are preliterate not until I came across this brilliant article that has absorbed my mindset about our history and culture. We keep hearing about Hieroglyph, Meroitic writing etc. Which of course are African origin precisely. They should create an Nsibidi course in our academia.

2 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 11:49am On Nov 18, 2014
christopher123:

my dear this is not a peniss measuring contest, the word or name NSIBIDI is just igbo, meaning from the begining or earlier depending on the contest, mind you we are here to learn and we in south east with efik has so many similarity in culture till today, i do not expect you in South West to understnad this miasma but maube check this link out biko

We are talking about you and your cohorts through intellectual fraud are trying to steal a peoples culture and identity. this is a serious offence and i take it seriously.
Manipulating Wikipedia and other online platforms is not a highly scholastic exercise anyone with a third grade education can do that. Keep wallowing in your intellectual fraud.
This your new found fad with Nsibidi, the sacred language of a sacred Ekpe cultural group will soon fade, Ekpe and Nsibidi will outlive you, your fad and your intellectual fraud just as it has done after all this centuries of unslaught from slavery, to colonialism, to christianity and modernism.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Sabotage4700(m): 11:53am On Nov 18, 2014
wait until Yoruba people start protesting against NSIBIRI & AJAMI.
it just neva stops!

2 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by henryobinna(m): 11:54am On Nov 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

I've made FP before.
I know I know..
am actually talking about this thread.
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by newscontinental: 11:54am On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:
you can start by initiating in Ekpe cultural group where generations of young men over the centuries have initiated and you can learn the real Nsibidi lanugage not this fad. fads are fleeting just like what this OP is propagating. the real Nsibidi is spoken by the initiate of the Ekpe Cultural society.
Thanks but no thanks grin
notobs:
Thanks but no thanks
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 11:54am On Nov 18, 2014
christopher123:

You cannot start your learning with trying to claim what is not yours, Nsibidi is the Language of Ekpe Cultural group practiced in Akwa Ibom And cross river state. Not the igbos If you want to learn about our culture you come with humility and we can share, not comming with a fraudulent premise. After now Igbos say Nigeria hate them, Its this kind of attitude this that give Igbo people a bad name allover the world, claiming what is not theirs.
How can you wake up one day and claim Ekpe and Nsibidi, the cultural identity of Efik/ ibibio people.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by christopher123(m): 11:56am On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

We are talking about you and your cohorts through intellectual fraud are trying to steal a peoples culture and identity. this is a serious offence and i take it seriously.
Manipulating Wikipedia and other online platforms is not a highly scholastic exercise anyone with a third grade education can do that. Keep wallowing in your intellectual fraud.

MY BROTHER I WILL LOVE US TO BE A BIT INTELLECTUAL, DO YOU KNOW THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE CULTURAL GROUP, MAYBE YOU WILL NOT UNDERSTAND EITHER YOU ARE A YORUBA THAT IS A BIT FAR, BROTHER WE LEARN EVERYDAY, NSIBIDI IS PREDOMINANT IN IGBO AND EGEGHAM OR EFIKS CULTURURE, FOR US TO START THIS ARGUEMENT WHAT IS THE MEANING OF NSIBIDI THEN FROM WHICH LANGUAGE IS IT, THEN WE CAN TALK WHERE IT ORIGINATES

PLEASE WHAT IS THE MEANING OF NSIBIDI

THEN GIVE ME THE PROVES OF NOT IN IGBO CULTURE

GIVE ME ALSO THE PROVE OF EKPE NOT IN IGBO CULTURE,

IT WILL BE FROM THERE WE CAN MOVE ON, INSTEAD OF TALKING WITHOUT PROVES

GIVE US REFERENCES AS I AM DOING AND HAVE GIVEN ...THIS IS HOW INTELLECTUAL WORK IS DONE

USE REFERENCE TO BACK UP YOUR ARGUEMENT

http://www.scribd.com/doc/63616534/Ikpo-Nsibidi-Igbo

http://igbophilia./tag/nsibidi/

2 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by christopher123(m): 11:57am On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

You cannot start your learning with trying to claim what is not yours, Nsibidi is the Language of Ekpe Cultural group practiced in Akwa Ibom And cross river state. Not the igbos If you want to learn about our culture you come with humility and we can share, not comming with a fraudulent premise. After now Igbos say Nigeria hate them, Its this kind of attitude this that give Igbo people a bad name allover the world, claiming what is not theirs.
How can you wake up one day and claim Ekpe and Nsibidi, the cultural identity of Efik/ ibibio people.

By far the oldest form of writing recorded in Africa aside Hieroglyphs is the Nsibidi writing. The Nsibidi set of symbols is independent of Roman, Latin or Arabic influence and a completely indigenous creation of its African inventors. Also known as Nsibiri, Nchibiddi or Nchibiddy, Nsibidi writing is an ancient ideographic writing system that is indigenous to the Uguakima, Ebe or Uyanga ethnic groups of western Africa and dates back between 4000 and 5000 BC. The writing in found in the cultures of Cross River among the Ekoi, Efik, Igbo people, and related peoples of southeastern Nigeria and Cameroon.

http://www.feelnubia.com/index.php/culture/tongues/133-the-ancient-nsibidi-writing-system.html
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by thelegalpundit: 11:58am On Nov 18, 2014
Nsibidi has Igbo roots? Well, I've always known Nsbidi to an ancient writing deeply rooted, or should I say a form of writing which 'originated' from the Efik/Egaham speaking parts of Cross River State. This form of writing is gradually going extinct, although several research/studies have been carried out by the Cross Rivers State Min of Culture & Tourism to see how this form of writing can be revived.

Love your writeup though.

PS: Even Wikipedia sometimes have wrong facts.
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2014
christopher123:

MY BROTHER I WILL LOVE US TO BE A BIT INTELLECTUAL, DO YOU KNOW THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE CULTURAL GROUP, MAYBE YOU WILL NOT UNDERSTAND EITHER YOU ARE A YORUBA THAT IS A BIT FAR, BROTHER WE LEARN EVERYDAY, NSIBIDI IS PREDOMINANT IN IGBO AND EGEGHAM OR EFIKS CULTURURE, FOR US TO START THIS ARGUEMENT WHAT IS THE MEANING OF NSIBIDI THEN FROM WHICH LANGUAGE IS IT, THEN WE CAN TALK WHERE IT ORIGINATES

PLEASE WHAT IS THE MEANING OF NSIBIDI

THEN GIVE ME THE PROVES OF NOT IN IGBO CULTURE

GIVE ME ALSO THE PROVE OF EKPE NOT IN IGBO CULTURE,

IT WILL BE FROM THERE WE CAN MOVE ON, INSTEAD OF TALKING WITHOUT PROVES

GIVE US REFERENCES AS I AM DOING AND HAVE GIVEN ...THIS IS HOW INTELLECTUAL WORK IS DONE

USE REFERENCE TO BACK UP YOUR ARGUEMENT

http://www.scribd.com/doc/63616534/Ikpo-Nsibidi-Igbo

http://igbophilia./tag/nsibidi/

Are you an initiate of Ekpe? why should we share a sacred language with a non initiate, Listen Ekpe is cultural society with norms and practices and Nsibidi is its language, Every child from Cross River and Akwa Ibom where ekpe is practiced, Knows that the sacred language Nsibidi is only spoken by the initiates which are selective few. If you know what Nsibidi was or what it entails you wouldnt have asked me that question.

Its only a foreigner that asks a stupid question like that. And yet you claim Nsibidi is igbo and you know its origin. that was Nsibidi 101 and you have just failed the test.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 12:05pm On Nov 18, 2014
thelegalpundit:
Nsibidi has Igbo roots? Well, I've always known Nsbidi to an ancient writing deeply rooted, or should I say a form of writing which 'originated' from the Efik/Egaham speaking parts of Cross River State. This form of writing is gradually going extinct, although several research/studies have been carried out by the Cross Rivers State Min of Culture & Tourism to see how this form of writing can be revived.

Love your writeup though.

PS: Even Wikipedia sometimes have wrong facts.

Nsibidi has no Igbo roots, nsibidi is the language of Ekpe. Its origin and roots are in Efik/Ibibio people.
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by christopher123(m): 12:06pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

Nsibidi is only one among a number of precolonial, indigenous writing systems of Southeast Nigeria. The actual origin of the Nsibidi writing system remains unknown. This comes as no surprise, seeing that Nsibidi is/was the product of secret societies and is/was heavily associated with secret and magical rituals. Europeans first discovered the script in 1905 among Igbo-speaking people. However, the use of Nsibidi and its associated secret societies was also widespread in what is now known as Cross Rivers state.

Though the actual origin of Nsibidi is unknown, common consensus links the writing system to what is now the Cross Rivers geographical region. Some historians even take it further and assert that the Ekoi people (the Ejagham) are the ones responsible for the early development of the Nsibidi script. Notwithstanding the Ekoi assertion, the Cross River theory has credence. Going by oral tradition from various communities within Southeast Nigeria, the diffusion pattern of the Nsibidi-associated secret societies is apparently traceable to the Cross Rivers region. Whether or not it is Ekoi specifically is not conclusive (at least, insomuch as I have been able to find out).i am in my 30s and I have grown up to see nsibidi signs and my part of igbo land is very far from cross river

One thing I can categorically say is that nsibidi is an igbo word i would also love to knbow if it is an Efik word also, but the origin of NSIBIDI cant be said who developed it first and who refined it, but whenever Nsibidi is talked about what comes up is Igbo AND eFIK

Igbo and Efik had this long term relationship which they still maintain till today so NSIBIDI is just a point to prove that. Who Invented it we do not know and Who refined the invention we do not know, just like Ekpe society, who inented and refined the Ekpe amongst the two culrtures we do not know

One thing is sure, they Igbo and Efiks are good neighbours

8 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by christopher123(m): 12:06pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

Nsibidi is only one among a number of precolonial, indigenous writing systems of Southeast Nigeria. The actual origin of the Nsibidi writing system remains unknown. This comes as no surprise, seeing that Nsibidi is/was the product of secret societies and is/was heavily associated with secret and magical rituals. Europeans first discovered the script in 1905 among Igbo-speaking people. However, the use of Nsibidi and its associated secret societies was also widespread in what is now known as Cross Rivers state.

Though the actual origin of Nsibidi is unknown, common consensus links the writing system to what is now the Cross Rivers geographical region. Some historians even take it further and assert that the Ekoi people (the Ejagham) are the ones responsible for the early development of the Nsibidi script. Notwithstanding the Ekoi assertion, the Cross River theory has credence. Going by oral tradition from various communities within Southeast Nigeria, the diffusion pattern of the Nsibidi-associated secret societies is apparently traceable to the Cross Rivers region. Whether or not it is Ekoi specifically is not conclusive (at least, insomuch as I have been able to find out).i am in my 30s and I have grown up to see nsibidi signs and my part of igbo land is very far from cross river

One thing I can categorically say is that nsibidi is an igbo word i would also love to knbow if it is an Efik word also, but the origin of NSIBIDI cant be said who developed it first and who refined it, but whenever Nsibidi is talked about what comes up is Igbo AND eFIK

Igbo and Efik had this long term relationship which they still maintain till today so NSIBIDI is just a point to prove that. Who Invented it we do not know and Who refined the invention we do not know, just like Ekpe society, who inented and refined the Ekpe amongst the two culrtures we do not know

3 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by christopher123(m): 12:08pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

Nsibidi has no Igbo roots, nsibidi is the language of Ekpe. Its origin and roots are in Efik/Ibibio people.

what is the meaning of the word "NSIBIDI" pls

lets get cracking here, I know the meaning in Igbo but what is the meaning in Efik,

the tonation of NSIBIDI isnt efik, cos efik language is nasalized not tonalized like Igbo

But pls let learn today

Tell me the meaning of word NSIBIDI in Efik

2 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Youngbullet09(m): 12:08pm On Nov 18, 2014
hello nairalanders I need ur help and support.
I want study physics in federal university of technology akure (futa) I scored D7 in my weac/neco result but c in other subjects like physics,maths,biology,geography&economics etc, will futa accept D7 in chemistry if I'm applying for physics. or better still can I write biology instead of chemistry in jamb.
I also want to find out the four subjects to register in jamb. Please anyone with idea should please help me.
God bless you all.
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nimen(m): 12:10pm On Nov 18, 2014
How can i learn?
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 12:12pm On Nov 18, 2014
christopher123:

The origin of nsibidi is unkonwn to you because you are igbo and a non initiate of the Ekpe cultural group whose language is nsibidi, If you were an initiated member of Ekpe then you would know its origin and it root, it will keep eluding you as long as you do not initiate in the cultural society and keep lying about it.

And please stop attaching your self to us we are different ethnic stock there is igbo, Efik/Ibibio, there is no one in Nigeria that do not know that Ekpe is synonymous to "Calabar people" just like igbos have their egedege dance and other cultural practices.
You will never see a calabar man wake up one day and clain Egedege or you numerous age groups are ours or originated with us, talkless of claiming that the origin is unknown,
Its only an Igbo man like you that can come up with such atrocities.The highest form of fraud against any people group is stealing or taking their culture and identity from them, what you Igbo's are trying to do now is unforgivable.

5 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 18, 2014
LordReed:
This script looks so complicated. To learn the logical flow of it's writing looks like it will require years to master. MissMeiya how long did it take you to learn how to write it?

You know, the brain is a marvelously genius organ. The way you store things in your mind is not confined by notions like "letter" and "word" unless you force it to. Nsibidi has a vocabulary that can indeed be learned. Just as you learned the Latin alphabet, and then simple words, and use those words to form larger words using compounds and prefixes... Logographic scripts have their own building blocks.

There are written languages in existence that do not have an alphabet. Writing can be formed by characters that represent spoken syllables, individual sounds (what you know as letters), entire words, or a combination of these. Then there are systems in which symbols actually represent entire concepts. Modern versions of these systems (called ideograms), now include characters that represent spoken units--these languages are called logograms. The theory is that no developed written language can be truly ideographic--it would be limited in its ability to fully express what we as human are capable of saying.

But! Elements of ideograms still remain in such logographic writing systems as Chinese. They are called radicals. These are the building blocks I referred to. Take this example:

This is the Chinese radical for woman: 女
Here are the characters that come from it:
女 means "female", 姐 means "sister", 好 means good (well, obviously wink ), etc.
Radical for mouth, 口 --> 名 (name), 吃 (eat), 味 (taste)

And so on. Even if you haven't seen a character before, you can make an educated guess as to its meaning, based on the radicals it's made up of--just the way you do with unfamiliar English words by breaking it apart into its simpler components. Multiple characters can similarly be compounded to form new words.

Now let's look at Nsibidi. (About time, right? cheesy)

Here's one Nsibidi radical: meaning "leaf"
Derived characters:
(life), (tree), which in turn has its own derivatives: (forest, bush), (root, origin, source)

To answer your question, it didn't take me long. But then, I wasn't focused on trying to compose using it. My efforts were mainly in organizing the characters to make them easier for other people to use and learn. And that was awhile ago sef. I'd direct you to the guy behind the project for questions about memorization and usage.

It seems complex for two reasons: One, it's a "foreign" way of thinking about writing. And two, it's still in a very early stage. Almost prenatal. If you see the original forms of the written languages that exist, you'll know that they tend to simplify and merge over time, as people use them. The difference between Traditional (中國) and Simplified Chinese (中国) is a great logographic example.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

I’m A Bride Waiting To Be Dressed Up - Silekunola Naomi / Oba Saheed Elegushi Marries Hadiza Tanko As Second Wife (photos) / Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.