Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,126 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes (22255 Views)

Fashola At The Kalakuta Museum Where Fela Kuti Was Buried / Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? / Political wisdom From Fela Kuti - Quotes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by fedupnigerian: 11:13pm On Nov 18, 2014
Fela Kuti! If you haven’t heard of him,you probably need to double check on your Nigerianess. You might want to think he was born into the wrong country,he was indeed a different kind of Nigerian.

Most Nigerians are very religious(but not righteous) Fela spoke against the imported religions,during a period were most musicians sang praises of those who mattered in society as is typical of highlife musicians so they could get some ‘change’, Fela spoke against what he percieved were the ills in the society he lived in which of cause was perpetrated by those who mattered in the society.

Fedup Nigerian brings you the finest Fela Kuti quotes.

1. “My name is Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. Black president or Chief Priest of Shrine.”

Fela’s introduction of himself.

2. “I must identify myself with Africa. Then I will have an identity.”

How he came up with Afro-beat.

3. “With my music, I create change…I am using my music as a weapon.”

Fela’s thoughts on his music.

4. Name?
Fela.
Just Fela?
Yeah, jus’ Fela.
Address?
My house.
Where?
Right here, in Surulere, man, yeah!”

A conversation between Fela and the police officer who ‘checked’ him in at Alagbon Close police station, the very first time Fela was arrested.

5. “A radical is he who has no sense…fights without reason…I have a reason. I am authentic. Yes, that’s what I am.”

His response to the question; would you call yourself a radical?

6. “You no go do so again, you no go come back again, inside barracks you go dey…you go dey where you belong.”

His ‘dream’ that the military, deter from seizing political power.

7. “Sufferhead must go. Jeffahead must come.”

Further dreams on politics.

8. “Alutta continua…alutta continua, no! it must not continue. The struggle must STOP!”.

Still ‘dreaming’

9. “Bleaching of the body to look lighter is immoral.”

Asserting his views on skin lightening.

10. “After all, the military do not just dance to my music, they march to it too.”

Fela’s sarcasm on a possible reason for the love-hate relationship between the Nigerian military and himself.

11. “Pastor dress na him dey clean pass e hard for my people dem to buy soap” (in Ofin head of state)

12. “So so water for Africa,water underground,water overland…water for man to drink for town e no dey” (in Original sufferhead)

13. “All the problems for this world,na him we carry for head for Africa”
(In Teacher no teach me nonsense)

14. To be spiritual is not by praying and going to church. Spiritualism is the understanding of the universe so that it can be a better place to live in.”

Fela’s explanation on one of his anti-Christian views.

15. Sex is a gift of nature. Why do men make laws to check it? A law telling you where to Bleep and another telling you when to Bleep.”

Fela’s views on why he likes having ‘unlimited access’ when it comes to sexual intercourse.

16. “…When I was first put in jail, the name of my prison cell was ‘Kalakuta’, and Republic? I wanted to identify myself with someone who didn’t agree with the Federal Republic of Nigeria…I was in non-agreement.”

Fela, on how he came up with the name; Kalakuta Republic, for his abode.

17. “I want peace. Happiness. Not only for myself. For everybody.”

One of his life ambitions.

18. “…not at all. You know what I want? I want the world to change.”

Fela’s reply to the question; Do you want to leave an imprint on the world?

19. “Everything I did wrongly is an experience…to be honest and truthful in all endeavours is an experience, not a regret.”

In response to being asked if he has any regrets.

20. “…man is here against his will. Where do we come from? What was before us?…when you think you die, you’re not dead. Its a transition.”

Fela being philosophical on life and death.

21. “…just want to do my part and leave…Not for what they’re going to remember you for, but for what you believe in as a man.”

Fela’s response on what he would like to be remembered for

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Nobody: 11:20pm On Nov 18, 2014
Good 1
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Rexnegro(m): 11:29pm On Nov 18, 2014
Mr mod front page tinzz please...anything fela deserve it. Pls let's immortalized baba 70 ... Fela ? Twale wherever u re!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Trailblazer1(m): 11:30pm On Nov 18, 2014
Fela was an activist, agreed.
Though I don't see any intellectual or inspirational cue from all these quote.
But one thing I'm very sure is that:

Buhari will miss him so much.
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by holatin(m): 11:33pm On Nov 18, 2014
i n case
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 18, 2014
I just love him....no homo
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by nigerianvenom(m): 11:41pm On Nov 18, 2014
Favourite fela's quote, "animal in human skin"-a name he referred to major gen Buhari who became a tormentor to all nigerians and still wishes to come back and torment us again.
But we reject any " animal in human skin"

2 Likes

Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Trailblazer1(m): 11:49pm On Nov 18, 2014
Fela's lifestyle opposes his activism

But he was a social crusader no doubt
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by fckmn24seg(m): 11:57pm On Nov 18, 2014
Fela I love you
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by sademola: 12:04am On Nov 19, 2014
Even though I might not totally agree with his way of life but his music and speeches were very deep and philosophical. He was a legend that I looked upto. RIP, Felt Anikulapo!

1 Like

Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by briantext(m): 12:07am On Nov 19, 2014
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Daluuzor(m): 12:22am On Nov 19, 2014
pls I need a list of Fela's top hit tracks and where to download them. thanks, I really enjoy his songs.
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by RAKITIC: 12:37am On Nov 19, 2014
Wetin man go talk
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Babzy11(m): 2:04am On Nov 19, 2014
Fela's *Black Man's Cry* and *Suffering and smiling* tracks for eternity
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by overhypedsteve(m): 6:01am On Nov 19, 2014
Trailblazer1:
Fela was an activist, agreed.
Though I don't see any intellectual or inspirational cue from all these quote.
But one thing I'm very sure is that:

Buhari will miss him so much.
how can anybody who lay claims on the status of literacy not see anything inspirational in this quotes? This quote can be applied in the study of philosophy, politics and religion. Fela is one person nigerians must be proud of. He showed us what we couldn't see

he said:
“Everything I did wrongly is an experience…to be honest and truthful in all endeavours is an experience, not a regret.”

In response to being asked if he has any regrets.

20. “…man is here against his will. Where do we come from? What was before us?…when you think you die, you’re not dead. Its a transition.”

cmon man even Sigmund Freud the Austrian authority didn't say anything more intellectual than this.
And please done be deceived Fela comes from one of the first few nigerian elite families after independence. He schooled in Britain and is considered as intellectually sound enough for him to be considered as one of Nigeria most influential authority on political psychology. His teaching influences the old, young and illiterate more than that of any nigerian professor on political science. He is one of Nigeria most important personality in the area of political socialization.
and Mr man i stand as a authority on the study of political sciences. I do not need anyone to backup my point cus my point is fact. I ve studied enough to tell you this is fact and you say yes sir! Dont quote me

1 Like

Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by overhypedsteve(m): 6:03am On Nov 19, 2014
Daluuzor:
pls I need a list of Fela's top hit tracks and where to download them. thanks, I really enjoy his songs.
search for them in Notjustok.com
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by joseph1832(m): 6:32am On Nov 19, 2014
Very insightful!. Sex is truly a gift of nature and going to church doesn't make one spiritual!.

Religion and Politics! According to Majek Fashek.

1 Like

Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by omenka(m): 6:39am On Nov 19, 2014
Top 21 according to whom
Fela must have said way smarter things than these.

Maybe these should be at the bottom of his top 5000 quotes.
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by joseph1832(m): 6:48am On Nov 19, 2014
omenka:
Top 21 according to whom

The saying above will make sense to those who want it to make sense.

To me, the qoute on sex and spirituality makes a whole lot of sense!.
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Nobody: 6:57am On Nov 19, 2014
Original African/Nigerian.
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by walemoney007(m): 8:01am On Nov 19, 2014
The "Abami eda"
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by dotna(m): 8:51am On Nov 19, 2014
Fela mind was brilliantly too ahead for the nation to understand.

17. “I want peace. Happiness. Not only for myself. For everybody.”
This is self sacrifice

19. “Everything I did wrongly is an experience…to be honest and truthful in all endeavours is an experience, not a regret.”
This is motivating
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Daluuzor(m): 8:59am On Nov 19, 2014
overhypedsteve:
search for them in Notjustok.com
thanks
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by fedupnigerian: 1:37pm On Nov 19, 2014
omenka:
Top 21 according to whom

You should look closer into those quotes to comprehend they are deep words,if you still dont see how brilliant they are...then,maybe the problem is with you.
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by fedupnigerian: 1:49pm On Nov 19, 2014
Trailblazer1:
Fela's lifestyle opposes his activism

But he was a social crusader no doubt

Can you explain further on how his lifestyle contradicts his activism? He spoke against western and easterm religions,he didnt follow those religions,he spoke against western values encroachimg on our traditional values and he was unapologetically African,ever seen a picture of Fela in a suit,maybe there is but i personally am yet to see.
If you are saying he cant be a role model,then maybe you can have a point but that his lifestyle contradicts his activism,i dont agree with you.

Maybe you can come and tell us a few things we have overlooked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by fedupnigerian: 1:49pm On Nov 19, 2014
Daluuzor:

If you aint satisfied with what you got from notjustok try typing 'Fela Kuti' into the search box at waptrick dot com.
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Dejohnbull: 1:56pm On Nov 19, 2014
nigerianvenom:
Favourite fela's quote, "animal in human skin"-a name he referred to major gen Buhari who became a tormentor to all nigerians and still wishes to come back and torment us again.
But we reject any " animal in human skin"
Amen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by Daluuzor(m): 4:47pm On Nov 19, 2014
fedupnigerian:

If you aint satisfied with what you got from notjustok try typing 'Fela Kuti' into the search box at waptrick dot com.
wow!! that's great, thanks bro
Re: Top 21 Fela Kuti Quotes by fedupnigerian: 8:15pm On Nov 19, 2014
Daluuzor:

wow!! that's great, thanks bro

Youre welcome

(1) (Reply)

Senator Gemade Wins APC Senatorial Primary Few Hours After Decamping From PDP / Police Parades Chike Ibezim Arrested For Cyberstalking / Updates From Ondo State APC Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.