Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,888 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama (1685 Views)

Nigerian Celebrities You Didn’t Know Are From Royal Families (photos) / 10 Celebrities You Probably Didn't Know Were Nigerians / 15 Things You Didn’t Know About Kim Kardashian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by ducii: 5:28pm On Nov 19, 2014

1) While playing for Enyimba International F.C., Enyeama was always substituted before penalty shootouts In 2001, Enyeama joined Enyimba International football club in the Nigerian Premier League, playing under manager Idris Ikhana. While he was the club’s first-choice goalkeeper, Ikhana made the decision to always sub out Enyeama before penalty shots. The tactic seemed to work. Enyimba won two CAF Champions League titles while Enyeama played for them.

2 He won a Player of the Year as goalkeeper despite not playing for the championship-winning team During the 2008-2009 season while playing for Hapoel Tel Aviv in the Israeli Premier League, Enyeama was named the Player of the Year. This was quite unusual. Goalkeepers rarely receive the award, and Hapoel did not win the championship that season

3 Enyeama kept a clean sheet for 1,062 minutes in his first Ligue 1 season with Lille OSC For his first 11 matches for Lille OSC, Enyeama didn’t let in any goals, playing 1,062 minutes with a clean sheet. Enyeama eventually let in a goal on Dec. 8, 2013, against Bordeaux. He came within 114 minutes of Gaëtan Huard’s 1993, 1,176-minute goalkeeping record without conceding a goal.

4 He was involved in a fatal car crash in 2004, Enyeama was a passenger in a car in Uyo, Southeast Nigeria, that hit two motorcycle riders. The two motorcyclists died and the driver of the car was in critical condition. Enyeama came out with several bruises – amazing, given that the car somersaulted twice as it swerved to avoid the motorbike.

5 He has played for the Nigerian Super Eagles for more than a decade Enyeama first debuted for the Nigerian national team in 2002, and has since racked up 95 appearances for the Super Eagles. He has played in three FIFA World Cup tournaments (2002, 2010, and 2014), and several Africa Cup of Nations tournaments, including the 2013 edition in which he was captain and helped secure Nigeria’s championship win.

6 At the 2010 World Cup, Enyeama shut down Argentina’s Lionel Messi In his second FIFA World Cup appearance, Enyeama was named Man of the Match in Nigeria’s opening match against two-time world champion Argentina. Nigeria won 1-0. Enyeama made six spectacular saves, four from football legend Lionel Messi. After the match, Argentinian manager Diego Maradona said Enyeama was the reason Messi was unable to score a goal, giving Nigeria the victory.

7 He attributes some of his critics’ comments to anti-tribal sentiment Enyeama is from Akwa Ibom state in South Nigeria, and believes that many of his critics are hard on him due to his ethnicity. He said, “My critics will remain as long I am still with the national team. I am criticized because I am not Hausa, Yoruba or Igbo but I am not worried…Critics make the game sweet so why should I be angry? When they criticize me, they only make me stronger so I give them thanks. I also thank God for giving me strength.

8 Enyeama was initially scared of participating in AFCON 2015, he said Ebola makes the Africa Cup of Nations too risky Though he said he will play in the tournament, Enyema also said he believes that Ebola has made the Africa Cup of Nations tournament too risky. He said, “I really wish it doesn’t happen with all the people that will be moving around. But I’m not CAF. I’m not the one who calls the shots…It’s risky for everyone because you go to Africa and then everyone is hugging you and shaking you, and what can you do? You’re at risk…But if it happens I will play, if we qualify.

9 He backtracked on a promise to strip naked if Nigeria won the Africa Cup of Nations tournament in 2013
Before Nigeria won the 2013 AFCON tournament, Enyeama said he would dance nude if that happened. Afterwards, however, he backtracked, saying, “I never said I would strip but I remember I did say I would take (off) my jersey but would celebrate with my underpants on but I was advised by well-meaning people against doing so and I changed my mind.

10 In 2014, he helped lead Nigeria to its first World Cup win in 16 years During the group stage of the 2014 FIFA World Cup tournament, Enyeama kept a clean sheet in Nigeria’s first two matches, resulting in a 0-0 draw with Iran and a 1-0 victory against Bosnia and Herzegovina – Nigeria’s first World Cup win since the 1998 tournament. Though he gave up three goals in their last group-match game against Argentina resulting in a 3-2 defeat, Nigeria still qualified for the round of 16 for the first time in 16 years.

http://afkinsider.com/78755/10-things-didnt-know-footballer-vincent-enyeama/11/

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by sweettease(f): 5:42pm On Nov 19, 2014
Him don try

Somehow, I thought he was igbo, is it just me? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by ducii: 5:45pm On Nov 19, 2014
sweettease:
Him don try

Yea me too, I swear i thot he was Igbo
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by Ezedon(m): 5:50pm On Nov 19, 2014
This is awesome, i dont really know what else to say that to ask God to continually bless him
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by dancruz(m): 5:58pm On Nov 19, 2014
sweettease:
Him don try

lolz.... Very common mistake!!
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by axortedbabe(f): 6:33pm On Nov 19, 2014
He has saved naija alot,i pray he wins dat bbc footballer of d yr..
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by sweettease(f): 8:08pm On Nov 19, 2014
axortedbabe:
He has saved naija alot,i pray he wins dat bbc footballer of d yr..
Hope you've voted sha smiley
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by axortedbabe(f): 8:11pm On Nov 19, 2014
sweettease:

Hope you've voted sha smiley
are u his campaign manager?
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by Timmytimmy: 8:22pm On Nov 19, 2014
If he were a Caucasian,our ears would have been filled with his praises.
Goal.com and brothers, una well done oh undecided angry
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by sweettease(f): 8:58pm On Nov 19, 2014
axortedbabe:
are u his campaign manager?
Keep up the thought and don't vote and a miracle will happen tongue
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by donstevico(m): 7:46am On Nov 20, 2014
nice
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by ducii: 8:53am On Nov 20, 2014
sweettease:

Keep up the thought and don't vote and a miracle will happen tongue

People should try and vote for him
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by pretydiva(f): 9:38am On Nov 20, 2014
Pls let us all cm out n vote 4 him as d African footballer of d year
Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Footballer Vincent Enyeama by ducii: 9:59am On Nov 20, 2014
pretydiva:
Pls let us all cm out n vote 4 him as d African footballer of d year

I think he deserves it this year. So let us come out and vote for him before these Francophone countries come and hijack it again.

(1) (Reply)

Stella Damasus Flaunts Wedding & Engagement Rings / Olamide Launches Clothing Line Called Baddo Wears, Now Sells On Konga & Jumia / Mercy Johnson, Dance Queen Kaffy Celebrate Their Hubbys #valentinesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.