Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:02 AM

Nigerians Must Learn To Vote Out Failed Leaders!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Must Learn To Vote Out Failed Leaders!!! (492 Views)

What Nigeria Must Learn From The Death Of James Ocholi SAN - CramJones / Collect Tinubu’s N10,000 But Vote Out APC– Fani-Kayode Urges Lagosians / It’s Time To Vote Out ‘I Will Do President’ – Amaechi Blasts Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Must Learn To Vote Out Failed Leaders!!! by phantom(m): 10:30pm On Nov 21, 2014
saw this post on facebook from a friend. i decided to share here because i found the discourse quite entertaining...enjoy!
P.S; the initials of the posters are used for privacy andsome of the replies are long so bear with me... smiley smiley

post;

I guess the permutations are becoming clearer by the day.

The only candidate who stands a chance of defeating GEJ next year is Muhammadu Buhari.

No matter what anyone says, I prefer Buhari to GEJ any day. I don't think corruption will automatically disappear after his tenure. He may even fail abysmally, but I will support him because we should develop that culture of rewarding failure with a SACK at the polls. It is a culture that will pay us beyond a GEJ and/or Buhari presidency.

[b]Each time we use excuses and ethno-religious reasons to perpetuate failure, we also indirectly kill ourselves, while that quick orgasmic feeling of domination blinds us to the reality on ground. Ask the politicians in the North East, the current hot bed of Boko Haram. They never knew the urchins they were breeding in their quest to dominate the rest of Nigeria would come back to haunt them.

Like I said, if we look at this from the larger picture, we would know that a culture that is able to call a failure for what it is, and reward it appropriately will benefit the whole country in the long run. Once this culture gathers strength, leaders have it ingrained in them that they can actually be booted out of office by the electorate. This pushes them to performance, and not seek to pander to ethno-religious emotions by snapping photos with every General Overseer or kneeling for some phantom blessing.

That culture of reward for failure is exactly the SOLE reason I will choose whoever the APC presents. The brighter the prospects of the candidate, the better. As a swing voter that I am, I may turn out to be the most vociferous critic of a future APC president, because any political culture that will benefit Nigeria has to go beyond political party, ethnicity, religion and stomach infrastructure.

It should be a culture that should smell failure in its infancy, it should be able to voice that failure to its highest heavens enough to produce change if so desired, and should be continuous and self perpetuating enough to repeat its practice regime after regime after regime, elections after elections after elections.[/b]

replies:

Police and SSS teargassed the NASS guys because Tambuwal was going to chair a session to validate or not, the extension of emergency rule in the north. They are collecting signatures right now for a possible impeachment of the President. Very shameful
-I.O
Personally, I have no sympathy for Tambuwal. He was part of the government he is seeking to shit and pee on. And he only left when it became politically expedient to do so. But his current traducers already have their cup full.
-O.A
No one is talking about Tanbuwal. This is the institution of state. This is mutinous! I thing the goat called Nigeria is at the end of the tether really. How do you begin to talk about this!
-I.O
We just have to bear with the system. Its only concerted efforts that can improve it. Millitary is a no no as it never worked for us. I think what we need to master is the art of sacking a failed government at the polls. We never really got there after 1999. We have a chance in 2015.
-O.A

Not sure about Buhari. But, GEJ I know for sure. 101%! He is a Potato President. Uninspiring, unmotivated, unsure and generally unfit to be a leader. -O.O

...for me, its beyond Buhari. I am not as blind as his many supporters, but its more about ensuring failed leaders do not get rewarded with re-election. Many of those campaigning for GEJ I am sure would not let him near any management level of any company they run.
-O.A

I understand some supporters of GEJ though, especially those very close to power. GEJ is their source of butter and bread. The people I do not understand are those who are suffering and smiling like the rest of Nigerians due to the crappy situation of things, but remained fanatical supporters. They need prayers.

But then it's a matter of choice; they are free to support anyone. Austerity measures are here. Naira is crashing, price of oil is heading southward. Jonathanians and non-Jonathanians will suffer the consequences. The Politicians have looted enough for the fast-approaching hard times. -O.O

at the end of the day it's gonna boil down to the *sellability* 'pardon my french' of the candidate, the machinery behind them and how funded their campaigns are, period. Am not gonna go into who solves what problem, and whatever bias we have, what freaking matters is WHO IS GONNA CLOSE THE DANG DEAL !!! What GEJ's campaign team needs to do is to ratchet up to an even higher altitude, the huge extreme religious and ethnic bias about Buhari, and whether you like it or not, that's a gift that keeps on giving. You may end up calling me unreasonable, unpatriotic blah blah blah, but am just calling it as it is. PDP is like the Republican Party in the US, that just walloped the Democrats just a few weeks ago in governors and congressional elections by capitalizing on the smear campaign of the unfounded ills of Obama, which tapped into the unspoken and unintelligent fear of the electorate and that gave them a homerun ! So gentlemen, that's the game of politics for you !!! It's not about who you think is the best at cleaning and fixing the country, it's simply about the depths of the candidate's pockets, and the ability of their campaign team to manipulate the electorate using whatever that can to scare the bee gees out of electorate regarding their opponent. And again l say Buhari is a gift that keeps on giving, because all you need to do is tap into his many extreme religious rants and bias, then you have the electorate eating out of your palms ... -C.C

2015 election is not what it seems to be. It is all about renewal of oil block contract which allows Borno state Aristocrats to make more money from oil than the whole of Rivers state. This election is a do or die and oil wealth is being used to sponsor Boko Haram. If you look at federal appointment pattern it will seem that Borno and Adamawa are highly favoured but do they trust GEJ not to take the oil blocks away from their hand? They are not sure. Jonathan may delegate the process to stern faced Madueke. For the same reason they will never allow the country to be restructured or divided .Nigeria is in a big trap. The constitutional conference failed for the same reason. If Buhari is elected, Boko haram will likely relocate to sambisa forest but Niger delta militants may rise again. Moreover Buhari is already compromised. He cannot probe governors, he cannot probe former presidents. He may not be the same person essentially.My prediction is that GEJ will negotiate away, any plan to restructure the country, realocate oil blocks and change the revenue sharing formula in order to get re elected. The fall and continous fall of oil price is the only majic that will loosen the grip on Nigeria,s throat. -B.O

whatever you say and however the analysis, politics everywhere thrives on sentiments and politicians know how to use it to the fullest. I do not subscribe to GEJ leadership style neither am I sue how Buhari will acquit himself in a multi-religious and multi-ethnic Nigeria. In his previous public outings, it has been shown that he is as strong as his deputy . I still do not understand how his anti-corruption hyperbole will apply to characters like Tinubu and other co-travellers. It will not be as easy as one may think.-A.C
Re: Nigerians Must Learn To Vote Out Failed Leaders!!! by phantom(m): 10:32pm On Nov 21, 2014
the bolded in the main post is the lesson or point to note.

(1) (Reply)

2015 Governorship: PDP Clears Laraban Maku,othersshould Contest For Primaries. / Governor Fashola Opens Register For Sex Offenders In Lagos State / Nigeria New Oil Benchmark Is now $65-finance Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.