Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) (19244 Views)

Wole Soyinka And Wife At Amaechi's Book Launch (photos) / Nairaland Poetry Club Chatroom. / 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by OMA4U(m): 3:43pm On Nov 22, 2014
First of all, let us praise Almighty God for his grace and mercies to be alive today.

I am very pleased and excited to welcome everyone to the launching of Nairaland Poetry Club. On behalf of all NPC members, I extend my greeting and recognition to Seun Osewa, the Founder and CEO of Nairaland. God bless you, Creator. To our dear Mods and our VIP and all other invitees, I thank you for honouring our invitations. I also appreciate the viewers, guests, and ghost readers. Thank you all.

I will like to distinctively show deep acknowledgements to the our VIP guests on the high table:

* LARRYSUN: He's a Master of Literature, Commander of the Literary Force, The Grammarian, and prominent prose writer with significant, glamourous, mind blowing prose works. He is the well-known author of the Trilogy: The Brand of Cain, The Paradox of Abel, and The Taint of Judas (Coming soon) and Black Maria: A Tales of Two Thieves. I thank you so much, Sir.

*NOBLE4D: He's a great poet and teacher, who has impacted his students with great literary style and forms. He's always there to help us write better poetry. He's one of the judges of the just concluded Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition. Recently, Sir Noble has been appointed with another brilliant poet, Timpaker, as the patrons of NPC. Thank you for your advice to make this event a success.

*TIMPAKER: He's a veteran soldier of words, whose words are mighty enough to pull down Jericho and as well effective to build Rome. He's one of the just concluded Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition. He was also the winner of last year Poetry Competition (Organised by Cuddlemii) with his awesome poem, Seductress is Hapless. Thank you, my dear brother. *winks*

*TEXANOMALY: She's a wonderful poet and critic. She was the first to lecture us during the past Nairaland Writing Workshop organised by Divepen. Also, she's a member of the Editorial Board of Storried.com

*PRINCESA: This is also a talented prose writer as well as a poet. She has dazzled the literature section with beautiful literary works. She's the author of Taking Chances and her awesome poems radiate the poetry section. Visit the thread One Poem For The Road to read Princesa.

FIRESTAR: She's a veteran poet with distinct artistic style of constructing poem. Like Princesa, she has dazzled the literature section with beautiful literary works.

ROYVER: This is another Soldier of Words, who has blessed the literature section with awed stories like his popular I See Things Others Do Not See. This Doctor was the Winner of Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition along side with KRYSTALXXX.

KELVINGRAPHICS: I appreciate and recognise KELVINGRAPHICS, the designer of the advertising poster.

Please, pardon me to brief others.
COOGAR, JENNINMA, KRYSTALXXX, , SAMMYHOE, THEROCK555, MIZMYCOLI, ISHILOVE, AND IBIME. You are all welcome to the high table. Thank you once again.

NAIRALAND POETRY CLUB
VISION: To attain mastery and skills in the art of constructing beautiful poems.

MISION: Through rigorous teaching and learning from the Masters' works, NPC aims to reach out to Africa and the world at large through eloquent use of words.

MORE OBJECTIVES:
Monday: A poem will be chosen to study (Weekly rotation between African and Non-African Poems) and a theme/form will be chosen to write on incorporating the elements learnt from the chosen poem.

Tuesday/Wednesday: Discussion about the poem and the devices that make it unique.

Thursday/Friday: A conclusion on the analysis of the poem and it will be posted on NPC thread.

Saturday: Submission of poems by members from which two poems will be selected for NPC Anthology.

The last Saturday of every month, there will be collaborative poems among members. This is to create a unified voice among NPC members.

COMPETITION: It holds twice a year. (Mid-year: Collaborative Competition; End of the year: Individual Competition and the winner will be the poet of the year).

End of every year there will be NPC Anthology (Volume One for the first year. Hope to get it published)

Club President: Poet of the Year automatically qualifies and two other members will be nominated, followed by general votes. The President will take over and lead the members through another year.
OMA4U is the acting President of NPC.

Thank you all for your time. Thank you all NPC members for your supports and cooperation. Thank you Almighty God.

Abeg a don try. e no easy to type joor……..phew!

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 22, 2014

You can join the club at the NL Poetry Club chatroom. Thanks www.nairaland.com/2011764/nairaland-poetry-club-chatroom

Ayamlaykorn

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 22, 2014
[b]Good evening Nairaland. Here I present to you the e-event for the launch of the Nairaland Poets Club. Some may ask what the club is about. Well,the club is about four things.

1)Creating a centrally unified voice for all Nairalande poets. The club will serve as a voice for them all.

2)To attain mastery and skills in the art of constructing poems. Through rigorous teaching and learning from the Masters, NPC aims to reach out to Africa and the world at large through eloquent words, lines, and verses.

3)To take as a responsibility the much anticipated publishing of the Nairaland Anthology that will be in electronic and printed form. It will consist of the best poems of all time by Nairaland poets.

4)To create interactive and competitive sessions for Nairaland poets/members. An example of this is the just concluded Nairaland Collaboration Poetry Competition. Shots are coming soon from the competiton.

Tonight I re-present to you the event to mark the official opening of the Nairaland Poets Club. And now,shouldn't we introduce to you my friends on the high table? Our VIPs
[/b]

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by sosiqdude(m): 4:49pm On Nov 22, 2014
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 22, 2014
I know you are already dying to know who the VIPs aregrin. But before I unveil them,remove the hood from their faces allow me to please open this launch with an awesome short poem by a comrade She's firestar and thus she wrote:

In a world where you cease to exist
I'll run
I'll be hung
Bask in sun

Strings across my digits
Acoustics sprung.

Living is where we belong.
Have patience.
When you wake
We'll sing that song

But now
I mark this day
With beloved friends
Dear hearts of the quill

Let us throng
Let's march on.
Stronger today
Stronger than yesterday.

Shalom!

Thanks for this firestar....

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Gladyys(f): 6:51pm On Nov 22, 2014
laykorn:
I will start to make mentions now. At a few minutes to 8,I will remove the mentions to clear ground for the event. Thanks in advance.

This is a list of our V.I.P invites. Although,here,everyone is V.I.P,but the presence of some people need to be especially highlighted. Thanks....
Divepen
noble4d
Jennminna
texanomaly
princesa
coogar
timpaker
Royver
Krystalxxx
Kelvingraphics
SammyHoe
TheRock555
Larrysun
yuzjet
MizMyColi

Invites from the just concluded Collaboration Competition...
philtrum
Basille
Joel17
gottoboy,
harddon
Chuksemi
giyazz,
firestar
kagari
AmiableJay
pureIvory
Gladyys
midasbliss
ad3ola
IGItee
eke40seven
sosiqdude

Planning team...
OMA4U(acting president)
noble4d
JigsawKillah
iyabodeh
ayozainy
laykorn
timpaker
gloriaz
yuzjet

These are names of the people who have been part of the WhatsApp and BBM groups to plan on the launch and agendas of the club. I say a big thank you to everyone...

Ayamlaykorn

Owk
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 22, 2014
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by texanomaly(f): 7:12pm On Nov 22, 2014
iyabodeh:
Needed for further modifications. grin

I'll be here with iyabodeh if anyone needs me. smiley
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 22, 2014

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by princesa(f): 8:29pm On Nov 22, 2014
*rushes in*

Hope I'm not too late again. Oma4u, what's up? Have we started?
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Obinnau(m): 8:35pm On Nov 22, 2014
Keep up the good work guys. Been requesting for frontpage from the supermods but it looks like they are on break.
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Chuksemi(m): 8:39pm On Nov 22, 2014
Present.
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by noble4d(m): 8:47pm On Nov 22, 2014
noble is here
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by firestar(f): 9:00pm On Nov 22, 2014
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by princesa(f): 9:00pm On Nov 22, 2014
Hello and hi everyone! *waves at familiar faces in the crowd* cheesy

Firestar, timpaker been a while!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 22, 2014
Now let me unveil for us the VIPs......but before that allow me to post a few shots from the just concluded Nairaland Poetry Collaboration Competition. These are pictures of one of the two poems the winners,krystalxxx and Royver came up with.

By their extraordinary skills in the art of "inking" and explaining what they inked,they emerged winners of NCPC. Let us take this time out to officially re-congratulate them.......

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 9:10pm On Nov 22, 2014
More...

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by timpaker(m): 9:11pm On Nov 22, 2014
Have you seen my pen?
The sword of my heart

Have you seen my pen?
The sting of my muse -

Have you seen my pen?
The flute for my rhythm

Have you seen my pen?
In its ink my poetry swam

Have you seen my pen?
It squirts the tears of my soul

Have you seen my pen?
I need to paint my thoughts

Have you seen my pen?
The silent voice that echoes from afar

When you see my pen
Tell it that my joy reside in it.

Good evening....

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by OMA4U(m): 9:12pm On Nov 22, 2014
I have updated. Now, we are waiting for our VIP to give us speech.

Welcome Sir and Ma

*abeg the network is a snail presently, so I may not reply to Posts very fast*
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 9:20pm On Nov 22, 2014

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 22, 2014
On the first post of this thread the acting president has updated on the agendas of the club. Iyabodeh you can step on the poduim to give your speech now....

Iyabodeh wrote that speech when the NCPC ended,but we decided to let it be posted today at the launch. Thanks so much Iyabodeh...

And next is another speech from our great teacher,Sir Noble.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by noble4d(m): 9:31pm On Nov 22, 2014
Distinguish ladies and gentle men. The magnificent President, the humble invitees and viewers, I greet you all.

All my time here in Nairaland, I've been gazing through the window striving to retrieve the key to the unlock door, but I failed severely.

Today is the day of merriment and fulfillment. A day that will stay glued to my heart forever.

I cried heartily when I see or hear people speaking ill about poetry. They see it as beans that takes time to be cooked, they see it as a building where no one lives. Some people even yelp at the poets saying awful things, they see poets as lazy people. But now, I'm a happy man because today is the day when rivers will flow, when failure will be broken, and proofs be seen.

Poetry is a  lot of things to a lot of people. Its the chiseled marble of language. There are equally numerous reasons for writing poetry. But poetry, unlike prose, often has an underlying and over -arching purpose that goes beyond the literal. Poetry is evocative. It typically evokes in the reader an intense emotion: joy, sorrow, anger, catharsis, love e.t.c.

Poetry can be powerfully moving, beautiful and even funny. Using a piece of poetry within your speech/writing can add quality and depth to your message.

I'm Noble4d, a patron to this innovative poetry club.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by OMA4U(m): 9:31pm On Nov 22, 2014
princesa:
Hello and hi everyone! *waves at familiar faces in the crowd* cheesy

Firestar, timpaker been a while!

Our honourable Poetess, Madam Princesa, we're awaiting your speech, ma'am.

Tag:
Timparker, firestar, LarrySun
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Royver(m): 9:35pm On Nov 22, 2014
Good evening everybody****takes a seat at the back***

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by OMA4U(m): 9:35pm On Nov 22, 2014
noble4d:
Distinguish ladies and gentle men. The magnificent President, the humble invitees and viewers, I greet you all.

All my time here in Nairaland, I've been gazing through the window striving to retrieve the key to the unlock door, but I failed severely.

Today is the day of merriment and fulfillment. A day that will stay glued to my heart forever.

I cried heartily when I see or hear people speaking ill about poetry. They see it as beans that takes time to be cooked, they see it as a building where no one lives. Some people even yelp at the poets saying awful things, they see poets as lazy people. But now, I'm a happy man because today is the day when rivers will flow, when failure will be broken, and proofs be seen.

Poetry is a  lot of things to a lot of people. Its the chiseled marble of language. There are equally numerous reasons for writing poetry. But poetry, unlike prose, often has an underlying and over -arching purpose that goes beyond the literal. Poetry is evocative. It typically evokes in the reader an intense emotion: joy, sorrow, anger, catharsis, love e.t.c.

Poetry can be powerfully moving, beautiful and even funny. Using a piece of poetry within your speech/writing can add quality and depth to your message.

I'm Noble4d, a patron to this innovative poetry club.

Thanks.

*Standing ovation* *crowd clapping and cheering*

Thank you, our dear Patron, Noble.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by princesa(f): 9:36pm On Nov 22, 2014
Good evening to every honourable poet seated in this venue, on behalf of the organisers of this event, I say a very big welcome to you all.

Please permit me to take a little of your time...

I am personally happy for a day like this, it reminds me of good old days when the poetry section was just as lively. Some of us 'old faces' are familiar with what I mean. If you can remember the 'Rhymes' or the 'Rant' thread, then indeed you've come a long way here, just as I have.

But that not withstanding, we love and appreciate the influx of poets both old and new, and our collective effort in making this 'not so sort after' art form a success.

Knowing what poetry means personally to us, I think is all we need to forge ahead regardless...our passion and self conviction for this art form.

So Special thanks to Oma4u and lakhorn, Iyabodeh for their resilience and determination with this project, guys keep it up! Little drops of water...

I am also honoured to be a VIP here amongst so many great poets...

Thank you for your time and enjoy the rest of the evening. smiley

*comes down from podium*

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by OMA4U(m): 9:37pm On Nov 22, 2014
Royver:
Good evening everybody****takes a seat at the back***

Mr. Royver, the high table is your seat. Kindly please gait forward and give us a speech.

Welcome Sir

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 22, 2014
Thanks so much sir noble. That was a very moving speech. You just made me feel proud to call myself a poet. Thank you so much again sir. Royver we await yours

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by OMA4U(m): 9:41pm On Nov 22, 2014
timpaker:
Have you seen my pen?
The sword of my heart

Have you seen my pen?
The sting of my muse -

Have you seen my pen?
In its ink my poetry swam

Have you seen my pen?
It squirts the tears of my soul

Have you seen my pen?
I need to paint my thoughts

Have you seen my pen?
The silent voice that echoes from afar

When you see my pen
Tell it that my joy reside in it.

Good evening....

Welcome, Sir.

*extending the butt of microphone to you*
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 22, 2014
Thanks princesa. I went digging up on the old times in the Poetry section someday,and I regretted not being a part of this from the old days. The section has indeed changed. The launch of this club is the first step we're taking to revive it. O wish I were a part of the older days *sobs into microphone*
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by OMA4U(m): 9:45pm On Nov 22, 2014
princesa:
Good evening to every honourable poet seated in this venue, on behalf of the organisers of this event, I say a very big welcome to you all.

Please permit me to take a little of your time...

I am personally happy for a day like this, it reminds me of good old days when the poetry section was just as lively. Some of us 'old faces' are familiar with what I mean. If you can remember the 'Rhymes' or the 'Rant' thread, then indeed you've come a long way here, just as I have.

But that not withstanding, we love and appreciate the influx of poets both old and new, and our collective effort in making this 'not so sort after' art form a success.

Knowing what poetry means, personally to us, I think that is all we need to forge ahead regardless...our passion and self conviction for this art form.

So Special thanks to Oma4u and lakyhorn for their resilience and determination with this project, guys keep it up! Little drops of water...

I am also honoured to be a VIP here amongst so many great poets...little Princesa grin

Thank you for your time and enjoy the rest of the evening. smiley

*comes down from podium*

Thank you, Madam Princesa. God bless you, ma.

I remember the old days when I used to sneak in to read poems without commenting until cuddlemii came up with the competition.

*feeling nostalgic* I am a murderer by default by princesa. That poem was so vivid and emotional.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A Nairalander Poses With Obaseki As Governor Endorses His Book (Photos) / The Teacher (home-coming) +18 / Innocent Ilo Wins 2020 Commonwealth Short-story For African Region

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.