Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,833 members, 7,802,668 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? (25667 Views)

Hospital Seeks The Public's Help In Identifying An Accident Victim (graphic Pics / 6 Diseases That Could Embarrass You In The Public / JOHESU Strike Claims Nigeria’s Only Neuropathologist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by omicron(m): 4:35pm On Nov 23, 2014
Some months ago, Nigerian doctors went on strike. What started as days of industrial action became weeks, then months. The masses were not happy. There were bitter complaints from every nook and cranny of the society about how insensitive, selfish, wicked and greedy Nigerian doctors are. It was as though medical practice in Nigeria was reserved for the 'meanies', seeing as everybody called the names with sweeping generalizations. Many said the doctors took an oath to protect lives and were not living up to it. Anyway, in the end, matters were apparently rectified and they resumed work.

Today- some months after the NMA strike was called off- JOHESU is on strike. JOHESU is an association of every other health worker in the hospital, minus doctors. The strike has lasted for sometime now. The doctors have been attending to patients alone. There has been deafening silence on this matter. There is no public outrage or outcry. Nobody is telling them they're not living up to their oath.

The interesting part is that the reasons for the strike of few months ago, are about the same reasons for the strike of today, yet, nobody is calling anybody greedy or insensitive or wicked.

There's undoubtedly a disconnect somewhere. I'm still trying to figure out what/where exactly it is.

** article originally authored by Anugwa Uche

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by sainty2k3(m): 4:57pm On Nov 23, 2014
Thank you op, even the nairaland MOD were not excluded, they hurriedly push every 'anti-doctor' post to front page. Everyone seems OK with the present Johessu strike, the other time they were jumping up and down creating threads to insult Doctors for going on strike. The solution to this problem is privatization, that's gonna serve everyone right

25 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Realtouchnot: 6:17pm On Nov 23, 2014
Just my thoughts

1 Like

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by mcdokwe(m): 7:35pm On Nov 23, 2014
Nigerians have bigger problems to worry about.

3 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by omicron(m): 9:40pm On Nov 23, 2014
mcdokwe:
How do u mean? Those problems were not existent during the NMA strike?

10 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by mcdokwe(m): 9:51pm On Nov 23, 2014
omicron:
How do u mean? Those problems were not existent during the NMA strike?
meaning they're insignificant compared to what burdens Nigeria at the moment

11 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by omicron(m): 9:57pm On Nov 23, 2014
mcdokwe:
ok.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by pair36(m): 5:31am On Nov 24, 2014
mcdokwe:
Worst timing ever. With all that is going on in the country? No one is even talking about them!

1 Like

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by heykims(m): 6:55am On Nov 24, 2014
The fact is dt when d NMA was on strike, all hospital activities were on standstill, no patient could be attended to by d now called consultant nurses, pharmacist, consultant orderlies nd d security consultants.
But to a little extent now dt d JOHESU is now on strike, doctors re still attending to patients in federal hospitals especially d emergency life-threatening cases.
This is probably d reason why d cry of the patients dt have been denied healthcare services has been submerged nd many re really suffering in silence. Also, the secondary nd primary health institutions re yet to join d strike.
I think JOHESU is just trying to take her time coz if they push d matter too much, Nigerians will surely tag them with unpleasant names as they did with NMA. The union has learnt lessons from NMA strike nd d negative reaction of d masses though NMA still largely achieved its objectives.

7 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by pharmguru: 7:30am On Nov 24, 2014
why would d public condem d strike wen dey ar fighting for a just cause?...which is fairness and justice in the health sector.
if i remenber well, NMA went on strike jst to frustrate the FG decision to meet JOHESU's demands inaddition to their outrageous 23 "commandments" to the FG. they left patients to die because of their selfishness and rivalry with JOHESU, & that's highly condemnable.
besides JOHESU did not just suddenly withdraw all services from the hospitals nationwide unlike NMA...they are not that heartless.
so my dear...thats why the public is silent

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by omicron(m): 7:54am On Nov 24, 2014
pharmguru:
why would d public condem d strike wen dey ar fighting for a just cause?...which is fairness and justice in the health sector.
if i remenber well, NMA went on strike jst to frustrate the FG decision to meet JOHESU's demands inaddition to their outrageous 23 "commandments" to the FG. they left patients to die because of their selfishness and rivalry with JOHESU, & that's highly condemnable.
besides JOHESU did not just suddenly withdraw all services from the hospitals nationwide unlike NMA...they are not that heartless.
so my dear...thats why the public is silent
lol, see twisting of facts.

You should rather have said that the effect of the strike isnt as much cos patients still get to see their doctors

47 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by drered(m): 9:48am On Nov 24, 2014
omicron:

You should rather have said that the effect of the strike isnt as much cos patients still get to see their doctors
Not really.. Patients were discharged in all the wards I visited when the strike started.. Doctors also couldn't see new patients.. So its effect is just as bad and this shouldn't be about who's got more balls anywayz..

7 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by gbodimowo(m): 10:18am On Nov 24, 2014
OK
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Rapsainot(m): 10:18am On Nov 24, 2014
Booked
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by danaiks(m): 10:18am On Nov 24, 2014
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by taiwoflb: 10:18am On Nov 24, 2014
This is what happens in Nigeria always just like ASSU and NASU

This question will prove who is smartest: you or your kids
Source: [url=https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=This+question+will+prove+who+is+smartest%3A+you+or+your+kids&oq=This+question+will+prove+who+is+smartest%3A+you+or+your+kids&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8#q=This+question+will+prove+who+is+smartest:+you+or+your+kids+e+reporter+news]http://www.e reporter.com.ng/index.php/more-news/life-style-news/item/1590-this-question-will-prove-who-is-smartest-you-or-your-kids[/url]
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 24, 2014
OP please whats your point??

pls i school in Nigeria embarassed angry

2 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Ozilla(m): 10:19am On Nov 24, 2014
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by holatin(m): 10:19am On Nov 24, 2014
Are u new in Nigeria?
we attend to the same thing differently
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Rapsainot(m): 10:20am On Nov 24, 2014
Please is Johesu a name? undecided help a brother, I school in AFGHANISTAN....

3 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by LordMecuzy(m): 10:21am On Nov 24, 2014
Caveat Emptor
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Trafford(m): 10:21am On Nov 24, 2014
holatin:
ok

Kga
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by plainmirror(m): 10:22am On Nov 24, 2014
A man goes to his doctor and says, "I don't think
my wife's hearing isn't as good as it used to be.
What should I do?" The doctor replies, "Try this
test to find out for sure.
When your wife is in the kitchen doing dishes,
stand fifteen feet behind her and ask her a
question, if she doesn't respond keep moving
closer asking the question until she hears you."
The man goes home and sees his wife preparing
dinner. He stands fifteen feet behind her and
says, "What's for dinner, honey?" He gets no
response, so he moves to ten feet behind her and
asks again. Still no response, so he moves to five
feet. still no answer. Finally he stands directly
behind her and says, "Honey, what's for dinner?"
She replies, "For the fourth time, I SAID
CHICKEN!"

My pipo whose 'ear' needs a troubleshoot? grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by holatin(m): 10:22am On Nov 24, 2014
Trafford:

Kga
what ?
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Slickest(m): 10:22am On Nov 24, 2014
mcdokwe:
They become relevant when it affects you or some one u know ba?

1 Like

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by pat077: 10:23am On Nov 24, 2014
who is johesu? I hope it's nt anoda terror group like bokoharam.

6 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 24, 2014
Like wise when the industrial action started in NAFDAC, people were so blinded to know that its a general problem in the health sector.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by simplemach(m): 10:26am On Nov 24, 2014
I was here
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by pharmguru: 10:26am On Nov 24, 2014
omicron:

trust me, even u knw dt the hospital cant even function wen only cleaners go on strike not to talk of when the whole JOHESU goes on strike.
the sooner u guys understand that evry1 in the health sector is important, the better for evry1. besides there s strength in number grin
omicron:

trust me, even u knw dt the hospital cant even function wen only cleaners go on strike not to talk of when the whole JOHESU goes on strike.
the sooner u guys understand that evry1 in the health sector is important, the better for evry1. besides there s strength in number

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fake Doctor Dupes Cancer Patient Of N4 Million (Photo) / Man Used His Last Cash To Rescue A Trader Left To Die In Lagos / How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Tooth In Nigeria (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.