Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,850 members, 7,806,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

Edikaikong - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Edikaikong (14146 Views)

How To Prepare Edikaikong Soup With Saliva Inducing Pictures 4rm A Nairalander / Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups / How Do I Prepare Edikaikong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edikaikong by Leilah(f): 11:57pm On Nov 27, 2008
Hi everyone, I am cooking up a concoction once again. I have everything I need for the above soup. Thing is how do I thicken it? and also, can i put one ogiri into it or will that ruin it? doi slice up the snails or leave them whole.

Waiting in anticipation, cheesy
Re: Edikaikong by HRhotness(f): 12:00am On Nov 28, 2008
use d minimum amount of water possible. . . for boiling d meat and things, d water frm d veges shd be enough to cook itself, everything shd be chopped up, it presents nicer that way

what is ogiri? undecided
Re: Edikaikong by Leilah(f): 12:05am On Nov 28, 2008
you know that seasoning that smells very strong? I think its made from fermented melon seeds. Can I put the snails in whole like at the last minute?
Re: Edikaikong by ikamefa(f): 12:08am On Nov 28, 2008
thicken?  undecided start initially with as likkle water as possible

i thought  edikaikong is vegetable soup?( a mixture of various vegetables)

and no you can't put the snail in at the last minute! how is it gon cook? except you eat raw snails!  cheesy

ogiri is optional jor! me i prefer iru!

can someone help this lady out with a good recipe? grin
Re: Edikaikong by tpia: 12:52am On Nov 28, 2008
Re: Edikaikong by tosinadeda: 3:23am On Nov 28, 2008
na wa o!!!
all this for one pot of soup that might likely pour away after cooking grin
i nor be winch o
Re: Edikaikong by HRhotness(f): 3:33am On Nov 28, 2008
if u've ever tasted it, u'd knw it is all worth it
Re: Edikaikong by tpia: 3:55am On Nov 28, 2008
Re: Edikaikong by HRhotness(f): 3:59am On Nov 28, 2008
goodluck with that wink

it is my fav too
Re: Edikaikong by tosinadeda: 9:58am On Nov 28, 2008
tpia:

as a matter of fact, I'll be cooking it one of these days, using this same recipe I found and posted here.
hope my prophesy dsnt come to pass with u o grin
Re: Edikaikong by AmakaOne(f): 12:40pm On Nov 28, 2008
HR.hotness:

if u've ever tasted it, u'd knw it is all worth it

Re: Edikaikong by Leilah(f): 4:56pm On Nov 28, 2008
Thats exactly how mine looks but the snails are very hard. Im not sure why this is, Not sure if its cos I overcooked them or undercooked them undecided
Re: Edikaikong by TOYOSI20(f): 11:03pm On Nov 28, 2008
Love this soup so much especially when its richly prepared, cool
Re: Edikaikong by tosinadeda: 12:38am On Nov 29, 2008
TOYOSI20:

Love this soup so much especially when its richly prepared, cool

ole ni e cheesy
Re: Edikaikong by TOYOSI20(f): 2:01am On Nov 29, 2008
tosinadeda:

ole ni e cheesy

LOL, who no like better thing
Re: Edikaikong by tosinadeda: 8:57am On Nov 29, 2008
lol
na tru sha
Re: Edikaikong by oudeima: 11:49am On Nov 29, 2008
Oh my lord!
Where did you get the whole stuf?
would you mind guiding me?
I'm a lost soul in the world of food.
naaa, just kiding!
you're great if It's your style.
Waiting for acomment dear Leilah
Re: Edikaikong by tosinadeda: 6:20pm On Nov 29, 2008
i think ure seriously lost lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Edikaikong by Shentz(f): 6:12pm On Jun 25, 2009
I don't really like Edikaikong its weird like afang wayy better
Re: Edikaikong by Pepeye(f): 5:10am On Jun 27, 2009
*Shentz*:

I don't really like Edikaikong its weird like afang wayy better

how weird? shocked
Re: Edikaikong by iniguy(m): 7:40am On Jun 30, 2009
Edikan ikong if prepared in the right way with all the right ingredients is a dish to die for cool
Re: Edikaikong by corrall(f): 2:29pm On Jul 02, 2009
u guys, sorry to bust your bubble, but that picture up there doesnt even come close to what edikang ikong looks like.

whatever u do, after chopping the ugu, spray some salt on it and squeeze very well, removes loads of the water from the leaves. that way the soup will be thick, with the water from the waterleaves and meat stock, and enough palmoil.

trust me, i am from calabar.

2 Likes

Re: Edikaikong by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 02, 2009
corrall:

u guys, sorry to bust your bubble, but that picture up there doesnt even come close to what edikang ikong looks like.

whatever u do, after chopping the ugu, spray some salt on it and squeeze very well, removes loads of the water from the leaves. that way the soup will be thick, with the water from the waterleaves and meat stock, and enough palmoil.

Eyeneka, i was wondering the same thing.  Anyway, people have their own remixes. Affang and Editan are the best soups ever though.
Re: Edikaikong by corrall(f): 10:32am On Jul 03, 2009
my dear, editan is also nice n delicious, dat is if well cooked o, cos e get some pple wey no fit cook am.
Re: Edikaikong by mamagee6(f): 8:49pm On Aug 08, 2009
What is that?
Re: Edikaikong by corrall(f): 9:29pm On Aug 08, 2009
Editan is anoda type of vegetable soup in calabar
Re: Edikaikong by Nobody: 3:31am On Aug 09, 2009
What is Edikaikong? Sounds chinese
Re: Edikaikong by janedoe(f): 6:52pm On Aug 09, 2009
Hey guys,where do you get water leaf in the U.S or what is a good substitute for it?
Re: Edikaikong by chiejik(f): 8:18am On Aug 12, 2009
go to nigerian market you will get it there.
Re: Edikaikong by UKDREAM: 10:57pm On Aug 13, 2009
corrall:

whatever u do, after chopping the ugu, spray some salt on it and squeeze very well, removes loads of the water from the leaves. that way the soup will be thick, with the water from the waterleaves and meat stock, and enough pa
corrall link=topic=201178.msg4123780#msg4123780 date=1246541385:

]
I agee
Re: Edikaikong by janedoe(f): 12:01am On Aug 15, 2009
Thanks Chiejik,I've checked the only african store we have and they don't sell it but thanks all the same smiley
Re: Edikaikong by Potu(m): 7:32am On Sep 28, 2009

====================================
=================================

You are so right.  I don't know how to cook it, but edikan - ekong (stirr fried leaves) use to be my favorite dish.  I have no clue what that picture is!  Anyway, I have been out of Nigeria for many years, and dishes like that only exist in my dreams.  Yesterday, I tried my hands on moi moi -- Needless to say, I ended up in Four Season's Hotel, to congratulate my failed effort.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? / Ukpo Oka (corn Pudding) Recipe. With Pictures. / Shredded Beef Sauce Preparation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.