Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning (7378 Views)

Policemen Push Patrol Van To Start In Lagos (Photos) / People In Jos Climb Mast Just To Listen To Buhari During Campaign / A Soldier Killed This Boy In Benin City this morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by boyyyyyyyy(m): 11:11am On Nov 28, 2008
this morning serious fighting start in the city of jos,why the political killing?  Confirmed
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by Muza(m): 11:41am On Nov 28, 2008
Is the fighting political,religious or ethnic?
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by QuotaSyste(m): 11:45am On Nov 28, 2008
Muza:

Is the fighting political,religious or ethnic?
Don't mind asking. What ever it is for, your illiterate almajiri clowns will surely hide it under "political" So, no need asking, but we all know it's ethnic.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by BlackRevo: 11:55am On Nov 28, 2008
We really need to solve all these ethnicity problem by putting tribes that can tolerate each other in the same state and making laws that governmens how we relate to other tribe. The government shoud set up a special division in the police and military that will be deployed immediately within 24hrs when ever there is an issue like these to stop the total breakdown of law and order before a solution is found.

It doesn't matter if it is political or not or anything but these things scares me alot they are not just right?
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by SkyBlue1: 12:14pm On Nov 28, 2008
Black_Revo:

We really need to solve all these ethnicity problem by putting tribes that can tolerate each other in the same state and making laws that governmens how we relate to other tribe. The government shoud set up a special division in the police and military that will be deployed immediately within 24hrs when ever there is an issue like these to stop the total breakdown of law and order before a solution is found.

It doesn't matter if it is political or not or anything but these things scares me alot they are not just right?

I disagree, the problem does not lie with putting people who can "tolerate" each other together, but having an effective police system that can enforce law and order and having an enforcement agency that is able to bring culprits of a crime to justice even years after the crime is perpetrated. As things stand and as far as i am aware, there is no notable detective or forensic agency or section in the country and if they exist they are doing a very lousy job. How many people have been killed throughout the north as a result of "riots" and how many people have been convicted as a result of such? When you hear stories of police officers standing by while hooligans carry out their despicable activities then what do you expect? What is the message being sent out? When crimes put under the umbrella of "religous riots" are treated as childs play then what on earth do you expect? That it will stop automatically? A people are being given a message that there is nothing wrong with what they are doing and you expect them to stop? I can't wait for the day when a leader with balls will be able to throw a few imams and even pastors in jail for inciting their followership to violence and i am not afraid to be blunt and i may be wrong, but this problem is more pronounced in the north and with imams. Wasn't IBB quoted as saying it was "god's will" in response to one of the earlier riots in the 70s as i am led to believe? So what is the message?
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by QuotaSyste(m): 12:56pm On Nov 28, 2008
Sky Blue:

I disagree, the problem does not lie with putting people who can "tolerate" each other together, but having an effective police system that can enforce law and order and having an enforcement agency that is able to bring culprits of a crime to justice even years after the crime is perpetrated. As things stand and as far as i am aware, there is no notable detective or forensic agency or section in the country and if they exist they are doing a very lousy job. How many people have been killed throughout the north as a result of "riots" and how many people have been convicted as a result of such? When you hear stories of police officers standing by while hooligans carry out their despicable activities then what do you expect? What is the message being sent out? When crimes put under the umbrella of "religous riots" are treated as childs play then what on earth do you expect? That it will stop automatically? A people are being given a message that there is nothing wrong with what they are doing and you expect them to stop? I can't wait for the day when a leader with balls will be able to throw a few imams and even pastors in jail for inciting their followership to violence and i am not afraid to be blunt and i may be wrong, but this problem is more pronounced in the north and with imams. Wasn't IBB quoted as saying it was "god's will" in response to one of the earlier riots in the 70s as i am led to believe? So what is the message?
Until Igbo president emerges, expect no president of your nigeria to do such thing. Obasanjo, a Yoruba president was there and it happened under his nose, what did he do? nothing and no arrest till this date because the victims were Igbos. This is why i support General Laurant Nkunda 100% for fighting to defend his people who are being killed on daily bases.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by otokx(m): 2:18pm On Nov 28, 2008
What are they fighting for again?
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by SkyBlue1: 2:23pm On Nov 28, 2008
QuotaSyste:

Until Igbo president emerges, expect no president of your nigeria to do such thing. Obasanjo, a Yoruba president was there and it happened under his nose, what did he do? nothing and no arrest till this date because the victims were Igbos. This is why is support General Laurant Nkunda 100%.

Unless i am missing something the victims continue to be the people which goes beyond igbos as you always like to make the issue about. What about people who are killed or attacked by their families or communities when they decide they don't want to be muslims anymore? Are those all igbos? Churches burnt down are they only igbo churches? So igbos are the only non muslims or non northerners living in the north? When will you begin to allow your debates flourish beyond such a view that i won't blame others for seeing as myopic?
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by QuotaSyste(m): 2:29pm On Nov 28, 2008
Sky Blue:

Unless i am missing something the victims continue to be the people which goes beyond igbos as you always like to make the issue about. What about people who are killed or attacked by their families or communities when they decide they don't want to be muslims anymore? Are those all igbos? Churches burnt down are they only igbo churches? So igbos are the only non muslims or non northerners living in the north? When will you begin to allow your debates flourish beyond such a view that i won't blame others for seeing as myopic?
You can go and tell your stories to a Cameronian or an Ivorian that doesn't know exactly what is happening in your northern nigeria. But not to me and other Igbo people. We the Igbos know that the killings are targeted towards Igbo people, but a non Igbo like you who is not feeling the pinch can think what ever you like and make up what ever other stories you feel like to justify what is happneing there, that is your own cup of tea. Fact is 99% of the vicitims are Igbo, so go to hell with your questions of what about other people and churches and non Igbos living in northern nigeria.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by SkyBlue1: 2:37pm On Nov 28, 2008
QuotaSyste:

You can go and tell your stories to a Cameronian or an Ivorian that doesn't know exactly what is happening in your northern nigeria. But not to me and other Igbo people. We the Igbos know that the killings are targeted towards Igbo people, but a non Igbo like you who is not feeling the pinch can think what ever you like and make up what ever other stories you feel like to justify what is happneing there, that is your own cup of tea. Fact is 99% of the vicitims are Igbo, so go to hell with your questions of what about other people and churches and non Igbos living in northern nigeria.

Normally i might be shocked that someone has accused me of justifying killing of innocent people but since it is you i guess i should expect such. I should really stop trying to join issues with you because it has laways proved a lesson in futility; especially when you can't be courteous enough to read through my posts before spewing accusations of non existent justifications on my part. Anyway, to each his/her own, God Bless and have a nice day  smiley.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by BlackRevo: 3:28pm On Nov 28, 2008
@Sky Blue In as much as i admire your solution, but don't disagree outrightly like that to mine. Take warri for example, the ijaws,itsekeris and uhrobos fighting each other everyday. If you check Nigeria there are many others like that. I was generalizing it from religious riot to tribal hatred ,every kind of fighting in Nigeria. We should restructure the country first, The whole ijaws for example can decide to have one state instead of been scattered in many states.then tribes who can tolerate each other can then go on to form states and regions.One important question where will that leader come from that will sanitize Nigeria that they will not accuse him of supporting his tribe? and then going against him.After these then we can setup the laws and then your solution comes into the fold.

Unless i am missing something the victims continue to be the people which goes beyond igbos as you always like to make the issue about. What about people who are killed or attacked by their families or communities when they decide they don't want to be Muslims anymore? Are those all igbos? Churches burnt down are they only igbo churches? So igbos are the only non Muslims or non northerners living in the north? When will you begin to allow your debates flourish beyond such a view that i won't blame others for seeing as myopic?

This view is very myopic but sometimes i sympathize with them because of the emotions from history, they are just one the members of the attacked but maybe the one with the highest population. but they have always failed and failed times and times again to ask themselves "Why are we the main targets of these religious and ethnic fighting"? If they can find answers to that then thats the day their life start changing for the better

@QuotaSyste please tone down your emotion and reason with other people advise. You are putting your trust on a politician, i bet you they will put a puppert igbo there that will make yar adua a child's play.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by Seun(m): 3:30pm On Nov 28, 2008
If all the people participating in these riots were locked up, the riots will stop. It's just crime 101

Crime 101: If a crime is rewarded and not punished, it will not stop happening. Nothing more.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by plawson(m): 4:05pm On Nov 28, 2008
how sure are we of this fight that we are all commentng about?
besides the boyyyyyy who started the thread hasn't let us know
if he has confirmed the basis of the fighting.

untill we know that our comments may not really be right. ok?
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by scottN(m): 4:10pm On Nov 28, 2008
Jos again? How come its not on the news yet?
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by Sauron1: 4:15pm On Nov 28, 2008
Seun:

If all the people participating in these riots were locked up, the riots will stop. It's just crime 101

Crime 101: If a crime is rewarded and not punished, it will not stop happening. Nothing more.

The fights don't happen every year. If the previous fighters had been locked up, they would be out of jail by now to cause more chaos.
Unfortunately, Naija Prisons don't reform---They harden prisoners.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by Seun(m): 4:16pm On Nov 28, 2008
Curfew set in Nigerian city of Jos after clashes

JOS, Nigeria, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Authorities imposed a night-time curfew on the central Nigerian city of Jos on Friday and soldiers deployed on the streets after at least four people died in ethnic-religious clashes over a local election.

"Government is imposing a curfew in Jos ,  and the environs from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. (1700-0500 GMT)," Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau state, of which Jos is the capital, said in a broadcast.

Residents said soldiers had deployed on the streets of the city, where clashes have broken out in the past between the Muslim and Christian communities, and that several churches and mosques had been burned. (Reporting by Shuaibu Mohammed; Writing by Nick Tattersall; Editing by Kevin Liffey)
http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnLS145397.html

JOS, Nigeria, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Authorities imposed a night-time curfew on the central Nigerian city of Jos on Friday and soldiers deployed on the streets after ethnic-religious clashes over a local election killed at least four people.

Youths with machetes hacked to death a policeman and burned tyres in one part of the city. Residents said several mosques and churches had also been set ablaze. Scores of people ran to take cover in a police station, a Reuters witness said.

"All law-abiding citizens are assured that government is on top of the situation and should go about their normal lives," Jonah Jang, governor of Plateau state of which Jos is the capital, said in a broadcast.

"Government is imposing a curfew in Jos , and the environs from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. (1700-0500 GMT). Government wishes to advise against any further attempt to test its will to maintain peace on the Plateau," he said.

A police spokesman said one officer had been killed in the unrest. A senior doctor at Jos University Teaching Hospital said he could confirm three people had died in his hospital.

ELECTION RUMOUR

The violence was triggered by a disputed vote for a new local government chairman in Jos North, the commercial centre of Plateau state and a key political constituency.

Residents said demonstrators from the Hausa ethnic group began protesting in the early hours of Friday after a rumour spread that their ANPP party candidate had lost the race to the ruling PDP party.

"The group said they were not fighting people but fighting government because of their action," said one witness, who asked not to be named.

Plumes of thick black smoke rose up over the Akpata neighbourhood. Some residents said several homes and shops had been set ablaze.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation with 140 million people, is roughly equally divided between Muslims and Christians, who generally live peacefully side by side.

But hostility has simmered in the past in Plateau state.

Hundreds were killed in ethnic-religious street fighting in Jos in 2001. Three years later, hundreds more died in clashes in the town of Yelwa, leading then-President Olusegun Obasanjo to declare a state of emergency and impose a curfew.

The tensions in Plateau state have their roots in decades of resentment by indigenous minority groups, who are mostly Christian or animist, towards migrants and settlers from Nigeria's Hausa-speaking Muslim north.

The official results of Thursday's vote have not yet been announced but ANPP observers at polling stations had forecast a clear win for their candidate. (For full Reuters Africa coverage and to have your say on the top issues, visit: http://africa.reuters.com/)
http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnLS181652.html
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by muddie4u(m): 4:18pm On Nov 28, 2008
I got a call from my lil sis the fighting is real
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by scottN(m): 4:20pm On Nov 28, 2008
Jos used to b my favourite northern city! Its sad that ethnic-religious crises has turned it to a nightmare.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by princekevo(m): 4:20pm On Nov 28, 2008
I can see some people exchanging blow over here on an uncomfirmed story, as i may call it.
Someone first asked a wise question here which remains unaswered by either the poster or anyother person who have the knowledge of the news.
Is the fight,political,ethinical or religious? Someone should have answered that instead of the blind arguement.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by kanayo74(m): 4:30pm On Nov 28, 2008
i always ask myself one question and that is must we be violent when it come to religious matters?
Christan's and Muslim alike dont practise their religion,
Islam is supposed to be the religion of peace, but all we see and hear from them is Violence
Christianity is supposed to be a religion of love but hatred is all that goose through their mind.

may we be saved from all this and learn that our ideas will always differ as long as we have different finger prints

life is full of fun why not enjoy it and let religion die a natural death
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by GoldCircle: 4:52pm On Nov 28, 2008
These rascals are at it again! Gosh! I miss Obasanjo! Will Yar'adua have the moral rectitude to stop them? soon, this madness will begin to spread all over the country! God help us!
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by QuotaSyste(m): 5:03pm On Nov 28, 2008
GoldCircle:

These rascals are at it again! Gosh! I miss Obasanjo! Will Yar'adua have the moral rectitude to stop them? soon, this madness will begin to spread all over the country! God help us!
You missed Obasanjo for what reason? What did he do to stop the same madness when he was in power? Can you remind us please? Was any arrest or prosecution made during his time? Don't come here to distort facts if you don't know what to post.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:05pm On Nov 28, 2008
QuotaSyste:

Until Igbo president emerges, expect no president of your nigeria to do such thing. Obasanjo, a Yoruba president was there and it happened under his nose, what did he do? nothing and no arrest till this date because the victims were Igbos. This is why i support General Laurant Nkunda 100% for fighting to defend his people who are being killed on daily bases.

Last I heard Igbo's are not the only ones suffering in Nigeria. Was it not over 600 Hausa that were killed in the town of Yelwa!
Im sick of your bickering about how east is being oppressed. NIGERIA is being oppressed by all our forking leaders. From Abakaliki to Maidugiri. ALL OUR LEADERS.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by scottN(m): 5:06pm On Nov 28, 2008
GoldCircle:

Was it not during OBJ's regime that all these started?
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 28, 2008
kanayo74:

i always ask myself one question and that is must we be violent when it come to religious matters?
Christan's and Muslim alike don't practise their religion,
Islam is supposed to be the religion of peace, but all we see and hear from them is Violence
Christianity is supposed to be a religion of love but hatred is all that goose through their mind.

may we be saved from all this and learn that our ideas will always differ as long as we have different finger prints

life is full of fun why not enjoy it and let religion die a natural death

Have you heard or seen christians go on riot in nigeria before?

And what do you miss OBJ for?
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 28, 2008
@ POster, Your grammatical structure wasn't well formed anyways,

I need no 2nd thought that RACISM will soon be the ORDER of the day in some states of Nigeria.

try me,
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:09pm On Nov 28, 2008
GoldCircle:

U must be a mumu.

'More than 10 000 people have died in fighting since Olusegun Obasanjo was elected as the president of Nigeria in 1999'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yelwa_massacre
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:11pm On Nov 28, 2008
nuzo:

Have you heard or seen christians go on riot in nigeria before?

And what do you miss OBJ for?

So who were the ones that killed the over 600 Hausa's in Yelwa. It's not your fault that your thinking ethnocentric
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by abdurrazaq(m): 5:12pm On Nov 28, 2008
@QuotaSyste & Co.
You will do yourselves favour by not taking every crisis against the Igbos only. It's too bad. You don't even know what cause the fight, you've already jumped to conclude that it was all against your Ethnic group sad
Youths with machetes hacked to death a policeman and burned tyres in one part of the city. Residents said several mosques and churches had also been set ablaze. Scores of people ran to take cover in a police station, a Reuters witness said.
there was a phone conversation with AIT correspondent in Jos this afternoon to confirm the story. it's a pity.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 28, 2008
@josboy
Who started it first?
Are the christians suppose to keep mum and watch the jihadist butcher them as usual?
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:17pm On Nov 28, 2008
@ nuzo
get out of here with your he said she said propaganda.
It's so funny if you ask the average Hausa, they will say they the ones who reacted. Nonsense utter nonsense.
Re: Fighting Start In Jos City This Morning by QuotaSyste(m): 5:18pm On Nov 28, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Last I heard Igbo's are not the only ones suffering in Nigeria. Was it not over 600 Hausa that were killed in the town of Yelwa!
I'm sick of your bickering about how east is being oppressed. NIGERIA is being oppressed by all our forking leaders. From Abakaliki to Maidugiri. ALL OUR LEADERS.
Stop bitching around. Who are all your leaders? and why mention Abakaliki when commenting on your nigerian leaders? is that supposed to convince who? Your leaders have been awusas and Yorubas who has spoilt the country, so stop at that and do not widen the horizon. You are quick to mention 600 awusas that were killed, now tell us how many thousands of Igbos that haven been killd in the same religious madness of your awusa people by your awusa people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Fire Near Alausa Central Mosque / EFCC Arraigns Ex-sgf Babachir Tuesday / Nigerians Attack VP Osinbajo Over Rearrest Of Omoyele Sowore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.