Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

How To Start Your Own Fish Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start Your Own Fish Farm (15274 Views)

Starting Up My Fish Farm. / Bush Dog Killed In Our Fish Farm This Morning / How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by myjobsfinder(m): 5:23pm On Nov 25, 2014
A fish farm or fish based business could easily generate a good amount of money.

Even if you are not a traditional fish farmer, you could easily make a steady income from your home, using aquaculture fish farming techniques.

Fish is increasingly becoming more popular as a source of protein, and it could easily feed a small family with little cost or overheads.

There are also other benefits of fish farming.

Starting your own business

Starting any kind of business needs knowledge and experience in the related field. If you are new to the fishing business, it might be a good idea to start small and gather experience as you progress.

Managing a business requires many of the administrative skills, be it fish farming or any other business. It also means that you will not have a boss to give you directions and you will have to make decisions on your own, or with your partners.

Your first step - gain knowledge

To start your own in the aquaculture fish industry, you must first learn all about fish farming. Learning about fish farms will prepare you to make educated decisions.

Visit some of the fish farms in your locality or meet with people just like you who have entered the fish industry. The internet is vast source of knowledge.

Consider signing up for classes visit webinars and such, if you can, to gather more information about the business.

Every business has its own challenges, and you should do whatever it takes to gain firsthand knowledge about the business.

Taking a part time job at local fishery might also give you hands on experience.

Set your goals

Setting your goals before you start your business is very important at the beginning of your venture.

You should know exactly what you are going to produce, in what amounts, how many people you will need, how much money you will spend, and how much profit you can expect from your business.

This would be the first step for you towards making a business plan. Preparing a business plan will allow you to incorporate your business, get necessary government documents or licensing.

You will also need a business plan to get funding from a bank or get investors.

Analyze your market

Once you know what your options are and how much money you need, the next step should be analyzing your target market.

Who are your buyers?
What type of fish is most profitable?
How much can you supply?
Have you contacted anyone for your special needs or in case an emergency arises?
Have you considered all expenses associated with your business?

You need to think all these through.

Setup your business

Since you want to start small, you can setup a fishing pond right in your backyard. It is also possible to raise fish in a fish tank in your garage or indoors.

You can easily get all the supplies you need to set up your small fish farm and start fish farming. If you have buyers ready or know that you can easily sell your fish, make your fishing pond or tank big enough to make enough production.

Buy your supplies at wholesale prices. You can find wholesale fish supply stores online as well.

Fish farming - Building sustainable fish farm in your backyard

If you have decided to operate from home, you could designate a place in your backyard for a pond. You could easily dig a pond, and put fish in it.

You may have to process your water to make it suitable for young fish. You can buy small bags of fish from hatchery near you.

Make them you feed your fish with appropriate proper diet and take care of your pond or fish tank.

Harvest your fish and enjoy!!!

You can check out more business related articles at http://bisthoughts.com/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by chukwuka12: 6:26pm On Nov 28, 2014
Lovely. Thanks alot. Hoping to start soon no matter how little

1 Like

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by sandrajazmin(f): 8:23am On Oct 09, 2015
Love fish... Esp barbeque
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by boolet: 8:24am On Oct 09, 2015
Farming has always been the easiest way out of unemployment and abject poverty into unprecedented affluence.

4 Likes

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by nelsonguru: 8:24am On Oct 09, 2015
Good one. And you also need some ideas to fire up your fish farming start up http://entrepreneurdirect..com.ng/2015/09/what-you-need-to-fire-up-your-startup.html?m=1
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by sheddo619(m): 8:24am On Oct 09, 2015
the posters above me don't have anitin important to wrt,Sha am here to read comments,nice info there op
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Daniel058(m): 8:24am On Oct 09, 2015
Yea Yea I simply don't like the way computer based FARMERS TALKs ABOUT THIS fish farming., not as lucrative as you guys think..

If you aren't financially equiped, I don't advice you to jumpe into it, coz you will come out of it crying..

AVAILABILITY OF GOOD SOURCE OF WATER MATTER a lot.

Estimate the cost of a certain number of fishes u are to rear and keep extra half of the amount, coz uncertainties must surely set in

its a RISKY biz, involve baba God ooo,

I rest my case be that.

7 Likes

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by shegelu: 8:25am On Oct 09, 2015
m
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Lilimax(f): 8:25am On Oct 09, 2015
Interesting but I dislike CAT fish embarassed
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by donigspain(m): 8:25am On Oct 09, 2015
Fish farming is not as easy as ebook marketers tend to make us believe o!
Too many sensitive factors. Too many trade secrets. Too many everything. My friend once spent millions in this venture only to buy "dwarf" fingerlings. Upon everything wey we give these little demons dem swear say dem no go grow pass a given weight and length. angry angry

12 Likes

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by ebengems(m): 8:25am On Oct 09, 2015
I have heard that this business is a lucrative one, but no one wants to get his hands dirty for money...that's my next target of business

2 days left for AutoCAD complete video tutorial promo to elapse. don't waste that huge amount of money on AutoCAD Training. Everything that made AutoCAD and anything that is made of AutocCAD is clearly discussed in this video manual at 50% promo discount. After 11th October the price will fall back higher. don't take chances, get it today from konga store by checking my signature and profile picture . We deliver nationwide
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by anonimi: 8:26am On Oct 09, 2015
I hope Buhari will not KILL off local businesses and the capacity to create EMPLOYMENT for our youths through cheap IMPORTS like he has just done for rice:

agora4now:
Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import

The comptroller-general of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (rtd), has ordered the immediate removal of rice from import restriction list and the re-introduction of import duty payment at land borders.

The public relations officer of Customs, Mr Wale Adeniyi, who made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja, said that the restriction was only applied at land border stations before now, adding that the customs boss had lifted restriction on rice at border stations.

He said that all rice imports through land borders by rice traders would attract the prevailing import duty of 10 percent, with 60 percent levy. Rice millers (preferential levy) with valid quota allocation would also attract duty rate of 10 percent with 20 percent levy on rice importation.

“Over the years, importation has been restricted to the seaports because border authorities have found it difficult to effectively monitor and control importation of rice.

“When the decision to ban it (rice) was taken, it was not an effective measure because the smuggling of the product thrives with people using different means of conveyance, including small trucks, bicycles and even animals – putting them on donkeys and some actually carry it on their heads.

“These new measures will be for Customs to recognise their anti-smuggling operations in the border areas and ensure that all those importers through the borders bring their rice through approved routes and pay their extant duty

“Before the ban on rice importation, Customs had placed different rates of levy on rice imports – 30 percent levy was placed on rice millers (preferential levy) and 70 per cent for rice importers. The purpose was to encourage local production.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/customs-removes-rice-from-import-restriction-list-at-land-borders/114013.html

I wonder how the old pensioner who confessed he cannot perform at 72 will deliver his campaign promises:

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkytaHR0cDovL2Nkbi0wMS5uYWlqLmNvbS9vL3dObkJ2Mmc1cFl6QjJkblFua0UycVZJTy5qcGc=.prx.r800x600.3eeade4c.jpg[/img]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2236329_fbimg1426964019374_jpegf0426a8233bbbeb8b2d08838e693f36e

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Daniel058(m): 8:26am On Oct 09, 2015
Hhs
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by passionate88: 8:27am On Oct 09, 2015
This will be interesting.
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by sirwilly1(m): 8:30am On Oct 09, 2015
A thread of 2014 making it on front page in 2015. Hmmmm.

Still following....
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Nicepoker(m): 8:31am On Oct 09, 2015
sandrajazmin:
Love fish... Esp barbeque
barbeque is that a fish name?
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by janefarms2015: 8:32am On Oct 09, 2015
WE HAVE IN STOCK IMPORTED RECYCLING SYSTEM EQUIPMENTS FOR FISH PONDS, WE ALSO SET UP FISH, POULTRY AND SNAIL FARMS, SALES OF GENETICALLY SELECTED FINGERLINGS, JUVENILES AD GROW OUTS, ALL ENQUIRIES TO: janefarms2015@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Iammelvin(m): 8:32am On Oct 09, 2015
Nice one
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by trigar12(m): 8:33am On Oct 09, 2015
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by lilking(m): 8:38am On Oct 09, 2015
Thanks for the piece
[quote
author=myjobsfinder post=28339831]A fish farm or fish based business could easily generate a good amount of money.

Even if you are not a traditional fish farmer, you could easily make a steady income from your home, using aquaculture fish farming techniques.

Fish is increasingly becoming more popular as a source of protein, and it could easily feed a small family with little cost or overheads.

There are also other benefits of fish farming.

Starting your own business

Starting any kind of business needs knowledge and experience in the related field. If you are new to the fishing business, it might be a good idea to start small and gather experience as you progress.

Managing a business requires many of the administrative skills, be it fish farming or any other business. It also means that you will not have a boss to give you directions and you will have to make decisions on your own, or with your partners.

Your first step - gain knowledge

To start your own in the aquaculture fish industry, you must first learn all about fish farming. Learning about fish farms will prepare you to make educated decisions.

Visit some of the fish farms in your locality or meet with people just like you who have entered the fish industry. The internet is vast source of knowledge.

Consider signing up for classes visit webinars and such, if you can, to gather more information about the business.

Every business has its own challenges, and you should do whatever it takes to gain firsthand knowledge about the business.

Taking a part time job at local fishery might also give you hands on experience.

Set your goals

Setting your goals before you start your business is very important at the beginning of your venture.

You should know exactly what you are going to produce, in what amounts, how many people you will need, how much money you will spend, and how much profit you can expect from your business.

This would be the first step for you towards making a business plan. Preparing a business plan will allow you to incorporate your business, get necessary government documents or licensing.

You will also need a business plan to get funding from a bank or get investors.

Analyze your market

Once you know what your options are and how much money you need, the next step should be analyzing your target market.

Who are your buyers?
What type of fish is most profitable?
How much can you supply?
Have you contacted anyone for your special needs or in case an emergency arises?
Have you considered all expenses associated with your business?

You need to think all these through.

Setup your business

Since you want to start small, you can setup a fishing pond right in your backyard. It is also possible to raise fish in a fish tank in your garage or indoors.

You can easily get all the supplies you need to set up your small fish farm and start fish farming. If you have buyers ready or know that you can easily sell your fish, make your fishing pond or tank big enough to make enough production.

Buy your supplies at wholesale prices. You can find wholesale fish supply stores online as well.

Fish farming - Building sustainable fish farm in your backyard

If you have decided to operate from home, you could designate a place in your backyard for a pond. You could easily dig a pond, and put fish in it.

You may have to process your water to make it suitable for young fish. You can buy small bags of fish from hatchery near you.

Make them you feed your fish with appropriate proper diet and take care of your pond or fish tank.

Harvest your fish and enjoy!!!

You can check out more business related articles at http://bisthoughts.com/[/quote]
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by warrior01: 8:38am On Oct 09, 2015
Op, you're on your own; it's oil and gas or nothing. Even Buhari after promising to boost agriculture, has left it and ran to be the petroleum minister. Whe dey fool who? He even opened the borders for imported rice to flood in.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 09, 2015
Front Seat
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Valentine73(m): 8:41am On Oct 09, 2015
Lilimax:
Interesting but I dislike CAT fish embarassed
Tilapia & Heterotis are also fresh water fish being produced/farmed locally. Asides this there's still a vacum in the area of Ornamenal fish breeding

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by UniqueGem(m): 8:43am On Oct 09, 2015
My Uncle has 5 very big fish ponds in his Ikorodu farm. The fishes in about 2 of them are so very big you'd think they swallowed a baby. I think the most expensive thing about fish farming is buying the feeds, thats if you alread have a land. He showed me two ponds he just started, the fishes were matured already, while we fed them, he told me that -that bag of feed was the 29th bag in just 25days. He feeds them 3X a day. Though i didn't ask how much the bags of feeds were sold but i know its surely not less that 1k at least.
So Nice work OP, i can surely help in providing answers to some of the questions here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by 400billionman: 8:44am On Oct 09, 2015
Present..

I doubt this poster is a practical fish farmer. Writing and doing are two different things.

Pictures or... You know the drill..
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by j1mmy: 8:47am On Oct 09, 2015
tell that to all those stupid Nigerians who are spending thousands of dollars in the desert to get to europe

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It True That Grower Feed Slows Own The Growth Of Broiler? / By What Week Do You Start Giving Your Broiler Chicks Finisher Feed? / Lagos Acquires 2,134 Hectares Of Land In Other States To Boost Agriculture..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.