Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,488 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} (10914 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre. {NJTC} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 26, 2014
Good evening guys! The lecture starts by 9:00am through 12;00pm tommorrow 27th november 2014.
Marthak
Naijaboiy
Jennimma.Take over
BEST OF LUCKS
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 26, 2014
Microflux:
Good evening guys! The lecture starts by 5:30pm through 8;30pm today.
Marthak
Naijaboiy
Jennimma.Take over
BEST OF LUCKS
swidy,you should've informed me earlier. Thats the reason i asked for a timetable. I don't know what to do now and i hate disappointing people. Reschedule? What do you think? Or MarthaK and Naijaboiy can you handle it?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 26, 2014
Jennimma:

swidy,you should've informed me earlier. Thats the reason i asked for a timetable. I don't know what to do now and i hate disappointing people. Reschedule? What do you think? Or MarthaK and Naijaboiy can you handle it?
but i refered u to thread 4 d timetable. K. Wen shud i reschedule it to? Today!
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 26, 2014
Microflux:
but i refered u to thread 4 d timetable. K. Wen shud i reschedule it to? Today!
remember i asked for the timetable and i didn't see any.
I expected to see something like this
Date:25-11-2014
Subject:economics
time:9-12pm
Tutor:miz.mycoli

you get? Well,i can do it tomorrow by the hours of 9-12pm.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 26, 2014
Jennimma:

ohkay. 9am to 12pm 2morow. Kip it to heart. I wil do sumtin abt d time tabu issue thanks

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 26, 2014
Jennimma:

ohkay. 9am to 12pm 2morow. Kip it to heart. I wil do sumtin abt d time tabu issue thanks

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 27, 2014
Goodmorning Class.

You're welcome to this wonderful thread-NJTC. If you're sitting for the up-coming exam(JAMB), you need not be afraid. We are here to help you succeed. Your only job is to read...and when I say read,i mean it. Go through your jamb past questions and answer them. Discipline yourself not to peep at the answers while reading. Get textbooks and useful materials. Burn that night candle and then back it up with prayers.
Jamb is easy and you can pass in just one sitting.

Ok,enough of the tips. Lets get down to business. You can ask questions to me or to my co-tutors-MarthaK and Naijaboiy. Please feel free.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 27, 2014
USE OF ENGLISH

This is the first paper you see when you open your Jamb question script. It consist of 100 questions.
Section A-Comprehension, Summary and questions from the two novels-THE POTTERS WHEEL AND THE SUCCESSORS.

SECTION B- Lexis,Structure and Oral Forms.

Today,I'll be taking us on Comprehension and Summary.
-Tips on how to answer comprehension questions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by naijaboiy: 9:15am On Nov 27, 2014
*strolls into class*
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 27, 2014
HOW TO ANSWER COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS.

The key to great success in this section is to understand what is expected of you in each question. There are two or three passages you will be asked to answer consisting of 5 questions each.

1.READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY- Most students due to fear hurriedly read or skip the instructions...and this often cause them to fail. Know what is expected of you before anything.

2.READ THE PASSAGE- You skim through the passage letting your eyes run over the passage for words and phrases which give the main ideas.

3.GO THROUGH THE QUESTIONS- After skimming through the passage, read the questions carefully.

4.READ THE PASSAGE AGAIN- This time,you slow down to read carefully for relevant details. You will/may see the answers to the questions as you read.

5.GO BACK TO THE QUESTIONS- you then answer the questions by shading the right answers.

N/B: You've to be conscious of time. This section shouldn't take you more than 10minutes. Thats more reason you should practice now and time yourself.

More...

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 27, 2014
...CONTINUATION.

Most times,you may be asked to suggest a suitable title for the passage. Its usually the last question.

How to Answer.

Read the first sentence in every paragraph of the passage. I think its called "Topic Sentence" (i'm right,yes?). You'd find out that most of the ideas are in those first sentences...

For Example: Culled from Use of English 2009 Questions.

PASSAGE 1.

...CONTINUATION.

Most times,you may be asked to suggest a suitable title for the passage. Its usually the last question.

How to Answer.

Read the first sentence in every paragraph of the passage. I think its called "Topic Sentence" (i'm right,yes?). You'd find out that most of the ideas are in those first sentences...

PASSAGE 1.

...CONTINUATION.

How to Answer.

PASSAGE 1.

Brb...lemme swap my battery.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 27, 2014
Ummm... *clears throat* I believe we understand my last post. Just saw it came out thrice. So sorry
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by festwiz(m): 9:59am On Nov 27, 2014
Jennimma:
Ummm... *clears throat* I believe we understand my last post. Just saw it came out thrice. So sorry
For English tutorials your sentence "just saw it came out thrice" was poorly constructed

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 27, 2014
Nigeria is currently faced with two major problems which necessitate the use of the broadcast media to satisfy the ever-increasing demand for qualitative education in the country

(second paragraph) A way out of these problems lies in the provision of educational opportunities through the use of radio and television broadcasts...

(third paragraph) Also of importance is the fact that radio and television will offer good opportunities for the standardization of education in the country...

these are the first 3 sentences in the first 3 paragraphs of the passage.

Number 5 Question goes thus:
A suitable title for this passage is:
a. The Role Of Radio and Television In Nigerian Education.
b. Why Nigerian Teachers Should Use Radio and Television For Teaching.
c. The Need To Promote Teaching And Learning Through Radio And Television In Nigeria.
d.Enhancing School Broadcasting For Effective Teaching And Learning In Nigeria.

Answer is C. The second paragraph has the answer.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 27, 2014
festwiz:

For English tutorials your sentence "just saw it came out thrice" was poorly constructed
ok,i stand to be corrected. We're all learning too smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by sheddyboy: 10:18am On Nov 27, 2014
festwiz:

pls, we know you are perfect in english, dn't discourage her.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by sheddyboy: 10:22am On Nov 27, 2014
Jennimma:

ok,i stand to be corrected. We're all learning too smiley
you are awesome, thank you, God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by sheddyboy: 10:27am On Nov 27, 2014
festwiz:

you should have at least commended her before making any correction.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 10:29am On Nov 27, 2014
You may also be asked to describe the style used for the passage. JAMB usually uses these text types- Narration, Description, Argument, Exposition and Dialogue.

Its now left for you to understand the writer's text type.
It maybe Narrative- a description of events
Expository- describing or explaining something.
Argumentative- discussing a problem with a reason or set of reasons...etc
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by shakrullah(m): 10:30am On Nov 27, 2014
festwiz:

please we don't need u here. don't stain d thread. if u are that good y don't u take over from her. afterall, she is not been paid she is just doing it for the love and kindness she has over her fellow humans. Please am one of ur students don't let one antagonist stop ur good work. May u live long for d benefit of all. Thank u as u continue

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by festwiz(m): 10:33am On Nov 27, 2014
shakrullah:

please we don't need u here. don't stain d thread. if u are that good y don't u take over from her. afterall, she is not been paid she is just doing it for the love and kindness she has over her fellow humans. Please am one of ur students don't let one antagonist stop ur good work. May u live long for d benefit of all. Thank u as u continue
So because a simple error which i saw fit to be corrected now makes me an "antagonist"? Thats just uncanny.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 27, 2014
In Conclusion.

Note that the questions on the passages will test the following skills:
1. Comprehension of whole or part of the passage.
2. Comprehension of simple figures of speech and idioms
3. Coherence and logical reasoning.
4. Critical evaluation.
5. Summary
6. Lexical and contextual meaning.

The selected texts will reflect various subject areas varying from literature, religion, science, engineering, politics etc.

I'll gather more tips as we progress. I hope this would be of great help to us. Thank you for reading.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 27, 2014
Welcome sheddyboy and shakrullah. We just started as you can see. You can still keep a date with us from the hours of 9am. Lesson may last for 1hr 30mims,depending.

Again,we would be asking questions too. Its an interactive thread. Do feel free with your tutors. Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 27, 2014
Naijaboiy and MarthaK. Lets do this...you may wish to treat other sections(lexis, structure, oral forms, stress etc) in your spare time. Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by shakrullah(m): 11:08am On Nov 27, 2014
Jennimma:
Welcome sheddyboy and shakrullah. We just started as you can see. You can still keep a date with us from the hours of 9am. Lesson may last for 1hr 30mims,depending.

Again,we would be asking questions too. Its an interactive thread. Do feel free with your tutors. Thank you.
Thanks
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by sheddyboy: 1:52pm On Nov 27, 2014
Jennimma:

thank you, i appreciate the great work you are doing, am just wondering why this thread is yet to hit fp.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by kinxlink(m): 2:03pm On Nov 27, 2014
Following.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Harmthe(m): 3:20pm On Nov 27, 2014
thank jenimma i gain something from these.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by naijaboiy: 8:27pm On Nov 27, 2014
festwiz:

Who is this one
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by festwiz(m): 8:41pm On Nov 27, 2014
naijaboiy:

Who is this one
Your one time adversary.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 27, 2014
Please please please,no bashing on this thread. Lets let sleeping dogs lie

MarthaK,i just dey observe you o
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by naijaboiy: 8:50pm On Nov 27, 2014
festwiz:

Your one time adversary.
Makes no sense undecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i / Students Of College Of Education, Katsina-ala Protest Over Fees Increment (pics) / ASUU, VCs Fault FG’s Demand For Varsities 40% IGR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.