Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? (18798 Views)

Getting Married: How Important Is Parental Consent? / Would You Marry The Guy/lady Without Parental Consent? / White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by BreezyRita(f): 9:30pm On Nov 27, 2014
I saw this question somewhere and felt like discussing it here.....

Parents of intending couples are expected to give their blessings and consent before their son or daughter could get married.

Even some religious institutions insist on having the parents or representatives of the couples on the day of their wedding to affirm that they've given their consent for the marriage to be consummated.

Parents fall out with their children because if the children's choice of man or woman, where they are from or what they do for a living.
There are thousands of reasons depending on family.

Some children still go ahead with the planned marriage at times without the consent or blessings of their parents. Of course, they're always pressured to go back and ask for forgiveness and blessings from them for the marriage to be successful......

My questions: Do you really need your parents' consent before marriage?? What if they refuse to give it? Should you give in and leave your to-be??

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by chibwike(m): 9:31pm On Nov 27, 2014
Ha!...this one is strong oh. Well its a two way thing.. You see, your parents consent is very important coz they tend to knw much tinz that you dont know,.buh in the other hand you are the person thats going to live with the person forever., not ur parents.

So i feel, as much as you acknowledge your parents consent, you should make your choice according to your own satisfaction.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by MrPresident1: 9:34pm On Nov 27, 2014
These is Africa, the land of values and culture, where values are cherished. In African culture, marriage is between families and not between individuals. You must seek parental consent, and it must be given before marriage can be consummated.

What a parent sees bending down, a child may never see even if he climbes the tallest Iroko tree.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 27, 2014
Parental consent is very important in a marriage..
parents can never mislead you,they must have a reason before rejectin ur partner.

2 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by MrPresident1: 9:37pm On Nov 27, 2014
Ishilove, frontpage things grin

1 Like

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by BreezyRita(f): 9:40pm On Nov 27, 2014
[quvote author=kristina1 post=28402767]Parental consent is very important in a marriage..
parents can never mislead you,they must have a reason before rejectin ur partner.[/quote]

At times the reasons could be quite selfish......
Say, tribal for instance.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by pasqal09: 9:44pm On Nov 27, 2014
Of course its very necessary, because the person you're choosing will also be their son/daughter in-law and a member of the family. So they must also give their consent.

2 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 27, 2014
BreezyRita:
[quvote author=kristina1 post=28402767]Parental consent is very important in a marriage..
parents can never mislead you,they must have a reason before rejectin ur partner.

Yeah,tribalism is eating us up,apart from that,parental blessings can go a long way in helpin the couple.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Charles4075(m): 9:55pm On Nov 27, 2014
Op, if you really know how it works try going against your parents consent and tell us your experience later..

4 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by jmoore(m): 10:00pm On Nov 27, 2014
I think there should be reasonable discussion between the parents and the man or lady on why they will not support the union.
Parents are not always right.

My brother(Igbo) wanted to marry a lady from Crossriver but they did not approve it. He brought another lady from Crossriver, same story. They told him to look for a wife in the southeast. My Mom tried to get an Igbo lady for him but he said that he doesn't like her.
Finally, he brought another lady from Crossriver. My parents approved their marriage to go on.

Consent is necessary but sometimes it depends on the reason.

5 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by ronald4lif(m): 10:02pm On Nov 27, 2014
I will always seek my parents consent and/or blessings and will accept their choices of rejection if the reasons are fair enough, but if they are trivial like race, tribal or religious issues I will stick with my woman. Parents are wiser but not in every issue especially ones regarding the heart. Methink the decision of a life partner should be that of those involve alone, I am to live with her not my parents or any one else for that matter

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Henrypraise: 10:29pm On Nov 27, 2014
U wan marry witout parents consent? Na u born ursef?

Parents consents are important n neccessary but we shudnt depend on dem. Except u wan hire parents.

Naija business idea: parents higher enterprise.

5 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Thinkr(m): 10:41pm On Nov 27, 2014
kristina1:
parents can never mislead you, they must have a reason before rejectin ur partner.
Lie. For EG. Igbo parents always want their first daughters to marry from their home town. Even their LGA. Against the person's choice which could be harmful.

6 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Raymysterio(m): 10:42pm On Nov 27, 2014
Necessary... Is like the iceing on the cake...
Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 12:14am On Nov 28, 2014

There is a Biblical responsibility that parents have to approve a marriage and a Biblical duty of a prospective couple to honor the parents.
___ Notwithstanding, parents ought not to force their children to marry without their free consent, nor deny their own consent without just cause. If the parents does deny without just cause, I believe there are people that the intending couple could invite into the matter...however our society doesn't really meddle into cases like this.

I still believe there are circumstances that warrant marriage without the parents consent.

9 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by tpia5: 1:00am On Nov 28, 2014
BreezyRita:

What exactly is wrong with a parent preferring their child not marry from a particular tribe?

1 Like

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 1:29am On Nov 28, 2014
MrPresident1:

What a parent sees bending down, a child may never see even if he climbes the tallest Iroko tree.

Rubbish , I have been right on many occasions which they didn't approve of and ended up losing out on a lot of things cos I believed this same shit you wrote. Now they know not to interfer or meddle in my affairs and only pray for my success in whatever I do

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by BreezyRita(f): 4:33am On Nov 28, 2014
tpia5:

What exactly is wrong with a parent preferring their child not marry from a particular tribe?

You think there's nothing wrong? Well, good for you

6 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by tpia5: 4:36am On Nov 28, 2014
BreezyRita:

You think there's nothing wrong? Well, good for you

What is wrong there?

1 Like

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by BreezyRita(f): 4:43am On Nov 28, 2014
tpia5:

What is wrong there?

When you've found someone you're sure you want to spend the rest of your life with, taken him or her home only to find out your parents have other plans for you? They're insisting your partner must be from your tribe and nowhere else??

Pray not to get there please

8 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 4:54am On Nov 28, 2014
kristina1:

That's not totally correct. Some parents are only after their selfish materialistic gratifications at the expense of the child's good. Just as we have good parents, we also have very terrible parents.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 5:00am On Nov 28, 2014
The decision on who to marry, ultimately, should reside with the couples not the parent(s). Parents role in the marriage process is strictly advisory.

We would do well to take very seriously the advise from our parents on our choice of a life partner but this does not imply that we allow them take the decision for us.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by BreezyRita(f): 6:20am On Nov 28, 2014
striktlymi:
The decision on who to marry, ultimately, should reside with the couples not the parent(s). Parents role in the marriage process is strictly advisory.

We would do well to take very seriously the advise from our parents on our choice of a life partner but this does not imply that we allow them take the decision for us.

True.... All these peeps saying "parents should have the final say in your choice of a partner have not seen how parents can ruin their children for little or no reason.

16 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 28, 2014
Thinkr:
Lie. For EG. Igbo parents always want their first daughters to marry from their home town. Even their LGA. Against the person's choice which could be harmful.
I know,some will insist on their daughter marrying a rich man.

2 Likes

Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 28, 2014
tpia5:

Maybe such tribe have bad history and they are protecting the interest of their child.
Re: Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 28, 2014
striktlymi:

That's not totally correct. Some parents are only after their selfish materialistic gratifications at the expense of the child's good. Just as we have good parents, we also have very terrible parents.
Some parent wl say unless you marry a rich person,they wl not give their blessing while some are only after their child happiness.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Walked Inside the Room and Saw My Friend Doing This... [Picture] / Types Of Virgin / Can U Date A Yahoo Guy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.