Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,857 members, 7,806,425 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students (12099 Views)

He Made 3.49 (second Class Lower), Should He Forgo NYSC For Second Class Upper. / . / When Is The Next Registration For NYSC For Foreign Students For 2012? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 5:12pm On Sep 27, 2005
One year internship for engineering graduates begins next year

What do you think will be the outcome of the SITSIE? Graduating engineering students of the nation's tertiary institutions are now to be exposed to a mandatory one year internship programme before proceeding on the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme.

Also before being allowed to practise in the country, expatriate engineers must also be registered by the Council for the Regulation of Engineering (COREN) by October next year university and polytechnic graduates of engineering bias must partake in the scheme called Supervised Industrial Training Scheme in Engineering (SITSIE).

Reactions from members are welcomed.
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by obong(m): 6:38pm On Sep 27, 2005
sounds stupid. the government is bad at everything and education is too important to screw up
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by bijorium(m): 9:37pm On Oct 01, 2005
@ Hnd-holder
I am a 400 level Engineering Student. I am on industrial attachment at the moment. That translates to my graduating sometime next year barring any hiccups. Do you think that My set would go through this proposed programme. I would like to know. Thanks
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by CimonJorr(m): 1:08pm On Oct 02, 2005
I disagree with Obong on this one..

The actual idea/concept is not stupid.. The execution of this may eventually be faulty, but the ideas/concepts involved aren't.. this scheme has actually been in existence long before now.. it's just recently that there's been a push in trying to make it universally acceptable or compulsory for engineering graduates.. In addition, similar schemes exist in different parts of the world.. what would be nice is if this could be incorporated into the National Youth Service for the two to run concurrently..

About expatriate engineers being registered.. this also obtains in all parts fo the world.. Why should Nigeria be an exception
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by DEKING3(m): 6:25pm On Oct 02, 2005
The idea is not bad but if not properly managed, it'll derail like some wonderful initial concepts.
What actually worries me is that in this current educational disorder with strikes, govt's insensitivity to education in this country, it would only increase the time in which we would stay in school.

But anyhow, let's just hope for the best. By the way, why didn't they implement it in other courses of study?
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by CimonJorr(m): 2:07pm On Oct 03, 2005
@ De-King..

Actually, it is implemented in a lot of "professional" courses..

Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, Law, etc etc.. all have this implemented in one form or the other.. It all goes to making a better professional, in addition to creating some sort of standard [or minimum level of competence] within the profession..

As regards how it affects the ammount of time spent in schools, well... I'm sorry to say this, but "Nothing shake stone at S.T.P"..

ie.. Deal with it.. In my days, I spent 7 years pursuing a 5 academic session course.. wink
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by DEKING3(m): 5:06pm On Oct 03, 2005
Tanx Cimonjorr. Truelly I have to deal with it.
Come to think of it, I don't think it's implemented in any of this mangement courses. Or am I ignorant? Pls help.
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by CimonJorr(m): 7:39pm On Oct 03, 2005
I believe u are correct... though I'll guess you'll get my meaning when I refered to "Professional courses"... Any Engineer can function effectively as a manager, I don't think any manager can function effectively as an engineer.. wink
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by olaide07(f): 10:05am On Oct 04, 2005
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 11:01am On Oct 04, 2005
No going back Come October 2006 Gradute Engineers from University and Graduate Technologists from Polytechnic Must take part . Certificate of SITSIE is what NYSC will use not that of your university / polytechnic and no Enginering Gradute will ever be sent to secondary schools to go and teach again.
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by vizion: 1:29pm On Oct 04, 2005
what is the usefulness of this scheme?

is it not trying to repeat what the industrial training is all about?

the medical students have a similar program called housemanship but they(medical student) do not have any equivalent to our industrail training.

more over, underwhich establishment are the potential graduates going to serve (this scheme........)? the medical students have the teaching hospitals( and many more private clinics too) at their disposal

in my opinion, this is another example of a big shot in abuja giving out big sh!t all in the name of doing his job
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 2:01pm On Oct 04, 2005
If a doctor make mistake only one person will die. If lawyer make mistake not more than two will go to Prison. If one engineer make mistake Plenty of people dies. Think of bridges, Houses etc. This is the time to take Engineering serious
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by GodfreyGi(m): 8:31am On Oct 07, 2005
I think SISTIE is a great idea. However, i don't think this is a panacea for the [/color] low competence and the lack of depth as far as expertise is concerned embarassed

To go with this new initiative that is intended to give engineers some relevance, there should be some government policy that will create the enabling environment that will give Nigeria engineers the chance to practise and prove themselves. The government should add local content in all its projects (technical-wise).

GODFREY GIMOH
From LASU
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 1:52pm On Oct 07, 2005
All these are in place now
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by CimonJorr(m): 9:00pm On Oct 09, 2005
I still maintain that it would be nice if the 1yr SITSE program could run concurrently with the NYSC.. would achieve both aims simultaneously, as well as more or less guarantee that Nigerian graduates are sent to relevant places for posting..
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 9:35am On Oct 10, 2005
This sistie will correct the issue of using Engineers as a teacher during NYSC like law and medicine. It is already a law . Come october 2006
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by vizion: 1:21pm On Oct 13, 2005
so where are the engineers going to see placement for this SISTIE programme
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 1:36pm On Oct 13, 2005
Coren shall demand for the list of graduate engineers and Technologists. The posting would look like that of the DR in hospital and certificate of Sitsie will qualify the engineer and Technologist for NYSC.
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by vizion: 1:47pm On Oct 13, 2005
but which firms are dey going to be posted to?

when less that 20 percent of students get placement for their industrial training

which companies are going to employ these students?

what is going to happen to rest that don't have placements?

what is also going to happen to the six months industrial training for university students?

and the one year equivalent for polytechnic students?
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 2:04pm On Oct 13, 2005
Everything remain the same. later OND go to 3years so that one year will be part of it. 2+1=3

SISTIE programme is government program. the government pay with a special arrangement Companies are already showing intrest.
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by vizion: 9:46am On Oct 17, 2005
here in Nigeria, we have oil producing companies, the telecommunication firms and some IT firms that we be able to accommodate prospective engineers.

how many people will these companies be able to employ?

we have more than 42 universities in nigeria not to talk of polythenics student

does one realise that at the same time student are undergoing this programme, that corpers of the previous set will also be taking up spaces in the small placements that are available?

it is very much possible that more than 80% of students will spend one year at home doing nothing
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 10:17am On Oct 17, 2005
Prof Faborode Dean of Faculty of Engineering University of ife and Deputy President COREN is the head of this program. www.corenng.org You may contact him for more explanation. This is real come october 2006
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by vizion: 2:26pm On Oct 17, 2005
man that site has not been updated for over a year now

u c the people that want to add a year to our curriculum?
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 2:46pm On Oct 17, 2005
The web was hosteted this year but the orders were some decision took last year

COREN
COUNCIL FOR THE REGULATION OF ENGINEERING IN NIGERIA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home · About COREN · COREN Decree · Council Members · Registration
Registers & Registered Personnel · Accredited Institutions · News · Contact Us · Links

Updated Monday, July 25, 2005
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by CimonJorr(m): 12:02pm On Oct 18, 2005

HND-holder...

We don't follow you...
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 12:38pm On Oct 18, 2005
COREN took some decision last year in their former web site those were the one with 2004 updates. This www.corenng.org was lunched this year. I do not support the idea that it can not be done. Let wait and see and let us help until we achieve.
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by jnrbaino: 3:08pm On Dec 01, 2005
This program makes no meaning to me and people around.Infact,out of like 15 of my close friends in school.we're only two currently doing our industrial training.Reason being that most of the so called "companies" refused to take others.And at the end of the day you still learn nothing.Please,Nigeria should stop deceiving and waiting our time.I believe in this country and will definitely work for this country but they should leave us alone now.A enough of this mess!Today,it seems we're becoming stable,the next day every thing looks uncertain.Please,they should just stop!
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 3:18pm On Dec 01, 2005
Wait and see
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by jnrbaino: 3:35pm On Dec 01, 2005
ahahahahaha,you make me laugh.i should wait and see,no problem.Am all for Nigeria.Please will this program affect those that are suppose to go for service in Feburary.
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by Hndholder(m): 3:43pm On Dec 01, 2005
Come october 2006, Feb are free.
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by rilla64: 5:27pm On Dec 03, 2005
Na wah o! They want to kill us engineering students. After spending 4 years after sec school before getting admission and 6 to 7 years on a 5 year course and now this? Adding 1 year for this SISTE and 1 year for NYSC.
This adds up to
4+7+1+1= 12 years
trying to get in and get out, for guys like us.
Its not fair! 9 years of schooling is bad enough.
Solution:
let SISTIE run concurrently with NYSC.
Re: SISTIE: 1 Year Internship Before NYSC For Nigerian Engineering Students by lemax1: 7:36pm On Dec 05, 2005
hi guyz, was just wondering. if anyone knows the o=level requirements for computer engineering in uniben. i just checked thru the UME brochure and found out that it requires further maths. i'd like to know if the further maths stuff is really compulsory.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Corpers In Sokoto Protest Non-Payment Of INEC Allowances / 8 NYSC Members Kidnapped In Zamfara, Yet No Public Outrage - Bukarti / NCCF 2013 National Conference In Jos, Plateau State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.