Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,108 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

Can A Parent Be Your Best Friend? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can A Parent Be Your Best Friend? (552 Views)

A Parent's Level Of Patience Is Eternal... (hillarious Pic) / He Raped Me, Now Getting Married To My Best Friend... / Photos Of The Day! As A Parent, What Will Be Ur Reaction? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Parent Be Your Best Friend? by ALKARULEZ615(m): 3:04pm On Nov 28, 2014
Be it a chat about their daughter’s new date or sharing a glass of beer with their teenage son, parents of generation X have come a long way from being just parents to being friends with their kids. But is that the ideal style of parenting? While the ‘generation gap’ between parents and children seems to be diminishing over the last few years, the extent to which the bond of friendship between children and their parents should exist is a question that often comes to mind.

Experts too feel that ‘kids need their parents, not another friend’ as it is important to keep the boundaries. A serious consequence of the parent-child 'friendship' is the diminishing respect that children have for their parents. However, it’s also true that friendship can be a wonderful source of strength and an excellent way to satisfy the emotional needs of children, but where should one draw the line? Is it necessarily the right style of parenting?
Re: Can A Parent Be Your Best Friend? by GboyegaD(m): 3:06pm On Nov 28, 2014
Yes. I have seen a few friends who their parents are their best friends.
Re: Can A Parent Be Your Best Friend? by KanwuliaJara: 5:59pm On Nov 28, 2014
Not really.
Just like no one can.
I am my own best friend. kiss
Not that 'needy'! cool
Re: Can A Parent Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 28, 2014
Nope. There are secrets I can't share with them even though they are my parents

(1) (Reply)

Ugandan Maid Jailed For Four years For Attacking An 18-month-old Girl / What Meat/animal Will You Kill/eat Tomorrow The 25th..? / Reduce Your Electrical Bill Up To 80%, With Inverter...sale Repair & Install,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.