Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,893 members, 7,806,606 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

I Need Help Learning Chess - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Need Help Learning Chess (2249 Views)

Unibadan Distance Learning 2011/2012 Admited Student Let Meet Here / Unilag: Distance Learning Institute Form Is Out / University Of Abuja Distance Learning Admission List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 8:45pm On Nov 28, 2014
Hello Nairaland. I would like to have some help and advice on this: I want to learn chess, so I downloaded a mobile chess game; but I'm usually beaten to frustration each time I try to play it. And more to it is that I hate failure. I also downloaded a tutorial for chess (in PDF format, but my phone cannot open the file), so I will be glad to have some directions. Just drop it, however little: it all counts. Thank you.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by dunkem21(m): 8:58pm On Nov 28, 2014
First; Do you know the name of the various pieces on the board?
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by nobilis: 9:41pm On Nov 28, 2014
In which city are you?
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 9:55pm On Nov 28, 2014
dunkem21:
First; Do you know the name of the various pieces on the board?
Yes, I do.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 9:55pm On Nov 28, 2014
nobilis:
In which city are you?
Port Harcourt
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by nobilis: 10:03pm On Nov 28, 2014
Craigston:
Port Harcourt
Do you have a real chessboard or just your mobile chess game?
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 10:11pm On Nov 28, 2014
nobilis:

Do you have a real chessboard or just your mobile chess game?
Just a mobile chess game.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by nobilis: 10:16pm On Nov 28, 2014
Craigston:
Just a mobile chess game.

A mobile chess game can only do so much for you.
Is there no way you can get a real chessboard?
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 10:23pm On Nov 28, 2014
nobilis:

A mobile chess game can only do so much for you.
Is there no way you can get a real chessboard?
I'll see to that. Would the mobile chess game do for the while? Uh, how much could a real chess board cost? Maybe a plastic one or a laminated one.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by nobilis: 10:34pm On Nov 28, 2014
Craigston:
I'll see to that. Would the mobile chess game do for the while? Uh, how much could a real chess board cost? Maybe a plastic one or a laminated one.

One of the cheapest you might get might be around N2000 or N2500. It all depends.

And what kind of book are u studying for chess?
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Stanleyafam(m): 11:27pm On Nov 28, 2014
Craigston:
Hello Nairaland. I would like to have some help and advice on this: I want to learn chess, so I downloaded a mobile chess game; but I'm usually beaten to frustration each time I try to play it. And more to it is that I hate failure. I also downloaded a tutorial for chess (in PDF format, but my phone cannot open the file), so I will be glad to have some directions. Just drop it, however little: it all counts. Thank you.

I'm in ph too and I have a chess board but no one to play wt..u can hit me up..
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 1:02pm On Nov 29, 2014
nobilis:

One of the cheapest you might get might be around N2000 or N2500. It all depends.

And what kind of book are u studying for chess?
Chess Teaching Manual ( created by international master, Tom O'Donnell. Produced by the Chess Federation of Canada ).
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 1:04pm On Nov 29, 2014
Stanleyafam:

I'm in ph too and I have a chess board but no one to play wt..u can hit me up..
Uh, in which area of Port Harcourt do you live?
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Stanleyafam(m): 2:19pm On Nov 29, 2014
Craigston:
Uh, in which area of Port Harcourt do you live?

Eneka
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by nobilis: 3:38pm On Nov 29, 2014
Craigston:
Chess Teaching Manual ( created by international master, Tom O'Donnell. Produced by the Chess Federation of Canada ).
Have you read the book completely?
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 4:10pm On Nov 29, 2014
Stanleyafam:

Eneka
That's too far. I can't come there.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 4:13pm On Nov 29, 2014
nobilis:

Have you read the book completely?
No. My phone (BlackBerry Bold 3) cannot view PDF files. I searched for mobile readers but I couldn't find any free and suitable reader.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by nobilis: 7:57pm On Nov 29, 2014
Craigston:
No. My phone (BlackBerry Bold 3) cannot view PDF files. I searched for mobile readers but I couldn't find any free and suitable reader.

Okay. What do you plan to do now?
Can't you print the ebook?
And moreso, can't you find someone close to where you live who can teach you or at least, who you can play it with?
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 8:25pm On Nov 29, 2014
nobilis:

Okay. What do you plan to do now?
Can't you print the ebook?
And moreso, can't you find someone close to where you live who can teach you or at least, who you can play it with?
I downloaded PDF-To-Go and I can view the document, though it's limited as a trial version. I'll just reset the phone after 30 days and the free trial continues. I'll use the tutorial to understand the basics of the game, then, when I'm done with that, I'll find someone.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by nobilis: 8:31pm On Nov 29, 2014
Craigston:
I downloaded PDF-To-Go and I can view the document, though it's limited as a trial version. I'll just reset the phone after 30 days and the free trial continues. I'll use the tutorial to understand the basics of the game, then, when I'm done with that, I'll find someone.

Ok man. I wish you all the best.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 8:44pm On Nov 29, 2014
nobilis:

Ok man. I wish you all the best.
Thanks, thanks and thanks.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by tpiah99: 5:08am On Feb 15, 2015
I'm also thinking of learning chess, the online version is fun but its hard to beat the computer.

besides, its no longer even available unless you download it.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Nastydroid(m): 2:26pm On Feb 15, 2015
I also need someone to teach me,the game is just lying under my bed
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 7:45pm On Feb 15, 2015
Nastydroid:
I also need someone to teach me,the game is just lying under my bed
You have the board? Okay. Get an e-book for the game. Learn the rules from the book: they're easy to understand. Then download a chess app and learn by playing against the computer. That's what I do for now. When you're a bit competent, you can offer to teach someone: then you'll have a player with you.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 8:04pm On Feb 15, 2015
tpiah99:
I'm also thinking of learning chess, the online version is fun but its hard to beat the computer.

besides, its no longer even available unless you download it.
Yeah. It seems the computer knows your every next move. And chess requires thinking: who wants to think away his battery? I hope to buy a physical set soon.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Nastydroid(m): 12:18am On Feb 16, 2015
Craigston:
You have the board? Okay. Get an e-book for the game. Learn the rules from the book: they're easy to understand. Then download a chess app and learn by playing against the computer. That's what I do for now. When you're a bit competent, you can offer to teach someone: then you'll have a player with you.
thanks bro
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Nastydroid(m): 3:32pm On Feb 24, 2015
Craigston:
bro is your chess app using internet
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 6:04pm On Feb 24, 2015
Nastydroid:
bro is your chess app using internet
No. It's a mobile app. But it uses internet to display ads so I switch off data whenever I want to play.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Nastydroid(m): 7:35pm On Feb 24, 2015
Craigston:
No. It's a mobile app. But it uses internet to display ads so I switch off data whenever I want to play.
please give me the name or download link,mine do suck data
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by tpiah99: 7:37pm On Feb 24, 2015
Craigston:
Yeah. It seems the computer knows your every next move. And chess requires thinking: who wants to think away his battery? I hope to buy a physical set soon.

I'm playing (ie learning) it occasionally on the computer, but it (computer) is very hard to beat.

will also be practicing with the physical one soon.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 9:58pm On Feb 24, 2015
Nastydroid:
Solverlabs Chess. I dunno if it's available for other platforms. I'm using blackberry OS 6.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 9:59pm On Feb 24, 2015
Nastydroid:
Solverlabs Chess. I dunno if it's available for other platforms. I'm using blackberry OS 6. Hoping to get another phone soon.

(1) (2) (Reply)

25 Facts That Will Change The Way You Think About Babies / 5 Best Nigerian TV Adverts In The Last Ten Years / Guides To Print New Improved NIN Slip In Plastic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.