Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,898 members, 7,806,623 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! (2407 Views)

What Every DBA Needs To Know About The New Mysql 5.7! / Android 5.0+ Vs Android 4.4.x- Programming / How to Upgrade to MySQL 5.0 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by Seun(m): 8:42pm On Sep 27, 2005
The much-awaited MySQL version 5.0 has finally been released.

New features include:
* Views (both read-only and updatable views).
* Stored Procedures and Stored Functions, using the SQL:2003 syntax, which is also used by IBM's DB2.
* Triggers (row-level).
* Server-side cursors (read-only, non-scrolling).
* New storage engines (ARCHIVE and FEDERATED).
* XA Transactions (distributed transactions).

Have you downloaded it already? I like the fact that many of the repetitive queries I run every day for statistics and stuff like that can now be stored in the database and executed more easily through stored procedures.

Yes, support for stored procedure is my favorite MySQL 5.0 feature! What's yours?

To Download MySQL 5.0, visit http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html

1 Like

Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by cushman(m): 8:53pm On Sep 27, 2005
Good work! This is really a good news!!!

Congratulations
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by skima(m): 9:03pm On Sep 27, 2005
Gr8 development. It will give us more time to relax.

Bravo Mysql.
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by joftech(m): 11:12pm On Sep 27, 2005
Stored procedures have been standard on MS Sql Server, Oracle and even ordinary MS Access.

MySql is good thanks to PHP, i hope a desktop friendly version of it soonest.

I thank those guys at MySql AB for coming out with these improvements.
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by yinkaboi(m): 7:34am On Sep 28, 2005
fantastic. i think i ll get jiggy with it. as an oracle certified associate in DBA i think it ll help a lot.

peaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee grin
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by timmy(m): 9:38pm On Sep 28, 2005
New features include:
* Views (both read-only and updatable views).
* Stored Procedures and Stored Functions, using the SQL:2003 syntax, which is also used by IBM's DB2.
* Triggers (row-level).

i was just discussing this issue with a fellow developer as regards Stored Procedures , finally i getto give a sign of relief. ill try to get my hand on a copy sha, guess illed prefer the .zip on rather that the installer, that should make my maintaning my old data easy..
seun is there any way or addon u can get that'll hust upgrade ur existing versiion?
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by Seun(m): 8:10pm On Oct 02, 2005
The windows installer doesn't allow me to just upgrade my MYSQL version, but on Linux you can use:
rpm -Uvh {name_of_updated_rpm_packages}

Then you look for the mysql_fix_privileges script and run it once to enable more 5.0 features.
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by skima(m): 10:13pm On Oct 03, 2005
Many web host dont upgrade often. I dont know why. Till now many havent upgraded to php 5. why? if u know of a host that have latest of this languages let me know.
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by joftech(m): 11:37pm On Oct 03, 2005
Many web host don't upgrade often. I don't know why. Till now many havent upgraded to php 5. why? if u know of a host that have latest of this languages let me know.

As an IT manager you must be able to access the good and bad impact of a new release, if the good outweigh the bad then you can go ahead and upgrade. Most new versions break at least 2 or 3 things in the present setup. Another impact is if there's anything like new hardware requirement for the new release, also if the new release won't add value to your present setup i don't see any reason why you/they must upgrade.
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by cerezo: 11:59am On Oct 14, 2005
Hi guys, just installed mysql 5.0, found out i need a mysqli extension to be bale to connedct from my php app.
Does anyone have thi already, or is there anywhere i cud download. It's really delaying me.
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by joftech(m): 8:47pm On Oct 14, 2005
MySql is in Trouble.

With the recent acquisition of InnoDb by Oracle all may not be well in MySql AB camp.

InnoDB provides the cool engines that powers MySql transactional storage engine and crash recovery capabilities. InnoDB table type is also good at transactional activities.

What did Oracle stand to gain from this move.
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by jerky1805: 7:24am On Nov 20, 2005
cerezo

Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released!
« #9 on: October 14, 2005, 11:59 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys, just installed mysql 5.0, found out i need a mysqli extension to be bale to connedct from my php app.
Does anyone have thi already, or is there anywhere i cud download. It's really delaying me.

i think u should go to the php website u would get it there or one of the php forums -sitepoint is a good one. u dont necessarily need the mysqli extensions. d mysql ones are just fine.
if u still need help drop me a line at jerky1805@yahoo.co.uk
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by Allta(m): 8:21pm On Nov 20, 2005
Hi all,

concerning the mysqli extension, I discorvered you need the php version 5 to integrate directly with mysql 5.0 and then you can enjoy the stored procedure part. But at our firm in London, we had to integrate a class that aids the construction of some methods which do the convertion without uninstalling phpv4 for phpv5.

But I will advice that you install phpv5 and mysqlv5 in other to enjoy the new features optimally
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by Seun(m): 7:23pm On Nov 23, 2005
Six weeks after Oracle bought Finnish software developer Innobase Oy, MySQL AB is working to provide its customers with an alternative to the open-source InnoDB database engine often used at the heart of its product, a MySQL executive said Tuesday.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1423768456
Re: MySQL 5.0 Database Has Been Released! by Seun(m): 3:42pm On Apr 18, 2006
Solid Information Technology, a provider of fast, always-on and flexible databases used in more than 3,000,000 mission-critical deployments worldwide, today announced its open source strategy. Solid™ is adapting its proven online transaction processing (OLTP) storage engine to work with MySQL Server, allowing businesses to adopt open source relational databases for mission-critical applications. A prototype of solidDB™ Storage Engine for MySQL will be available for download and community testing on April 24, 2006. The source code of solidDB Storage Engine will be covered by GNU Public License (GPL) and will be available as a beta release in July 2006. The product will be generally available in Q4 2006.

http://www.solidtech.com/en/company/in-memorydatabase/pressreleases/2006/pr_060417.asp

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=620

(1) (Reply)

How To Solve A Grade Problem Using A Pascal (lazarus IDE) / Project:an Application To Make Calls Using LAN/INTRANET Network / The Ultimate python tutorial series for 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.