Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,840 members, 7,802,692 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? (15410 Views)

Nigerians Who Returned From Niger Queue For HIV/AIDS Test (photo) / Even The Orthopaedic Hospitals Will Reject This One ( Pic) / The Facts About Condoms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by maclatunji: 3:03pm On Dec 02, 2014
A bit controversial...

Written by Roy Ofili

maclatunji:
Yesterday December 1st 2014 was World AIDS Day. This year’s theme was Focus, Partner, Achieve: An AIDS—free Generation. A lot of awareness campaigns took place throughout the world from the Statement of the Whitehouse around noon in the United States to our very own local parades one of which I experienced as I drove down to the bank this morning.

This little but highly enthusiastic group of young boys and girls donned the traditional red ribbon colour of the day atop pure white shorts and T-shirts and were dancing around on the road, gyrating to their jingles and handing out posters and handbills and free condoms. And it is in the last item that the day’s drama for me took place.

I was astounded to see that most drivers were vehemently refusing the condoms. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I honestly thought there would be a mad rush for that particular merchandise or at the very least an indifferent acceptance of the commodity as it was politely handed over to them by the grinning AIDS crusaders. But instead there was a certain level of hostility I didn’t quite understand. A bus driver would reach for a handbill, maybe even a poster, but as soon as the roll of condoms came flashing out, his face would lose its colour and the man would hand everything he had collected back, notwithstanding the protests by the young folk that he could hold on to those if he liked, as if collecting the handbills that were affiliated with the condoms was somehow wrong or indicting. Some drivers resorted to aggressively winding up their windows. There is an adage that says If the bird learns to fly without perching then the hunter must learn to shoot without missing. The youth resorted to throwing the condoms like missiles into the cars and buses before the driver had a chance to wind up completely. I must say they rarely missed, much to the chagrin of the drivers!

It made me wonder though, why were they refusing the condoms? Surely it wasn’t because they were shy? Or are condoms still widely viewed in our society as taboo? Like do people still hide to purchase them? Or are they afraid to be seen with it on their persons? Maybe they think they would automatically be tagged irresponsible and immoral for accepting them?

Condoms still remain a valuable asset in the fight against AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Diseases. As a barrier method, it is easy to carry, use and dispose, and various brands of the product ensure that it is easily affordable. Consistent use of condoms has been shown to reduce chances of contracting HIV by as much as 80%. And different types of condoms from the Ultra-thin to the roughly textured ones ensure that in no way is intimate pleasure curtailed for either partner.
All the above is all well and good, but remember I too was driving yesterday, and by the time the crusading youths got to my vehicle they had packaged poster, handbill and condom into a well compressed missile. So what did I do?

What do you think I did? I calmly wound down my window further and asked for a neat, unsqueezed poster and handbill and two rolls of condoms. I don’t think I have ever made anyone smile so much from collecting their products as much as those youths did yesterday.

The ABC of HIV prevention still stands: Abstain, Be faithful, and Condom use. There is no need to be ashamed of the latter; it might just be your own life you are saving.

Source: http://storried.com/my-interesting-experience-on-world-aids-day/

13 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by maclatunji: 3:04pm On Dec 02, 2014
Would I accept a pack of free condoms?

I don't know. It might depend on my frame of mind at that point in time.
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by ejikeme(m): 4:27pm On Dec 02, 2014
try it over here.....
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Seun(m): 5:05pm On Dec 02, 2014
Everytime I visit the supermarket, I walk by the condoms on display. I would like to buy a pack but most of the cashiers are ladies, so I can't.

29 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Built2last: 5:17pm On Dec 02, 2014
Seun:
Everytime I visit the supermarket, I walk by the condoms on display. I would like to buy a pack but most of the cashiers are ladies, so I can't.

Seuuuuuuun, why shall you shy....STDs no get shyness ooo

You can buy baloon with rubber ring instead...all naa rubber

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Seun(m): 5:37pm On Dec 02, 2014
I would accept a pack of free condoms. As long as the person who is offering it to me is not a lady, cos that would be so embarrasing heh.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 02, 2014
I think it has to do with being shy, I don't think they're hypocrites. Give Nigerians some time, they'll get there one day smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by pinkycute(f): 5:51pm On Dec 02, 2014
What if ur lady bring out condom, for you to put on Will you be shy to accept it

Seun:
I would accept a pack of free condoms. As long as the person who is offering it to me is not a lady, cos that would be so embarrasing heh.

5 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 02, 2014
Seun:
2nd time you're saying this today. Lol. Oga you use style shy oooooo.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 02, 2014
Seun:
pinkycute:
What if ur lady bring out condom, for you to put on Will you be shy to accept it
grin lipsrsealed grin grin

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by akinsadeez(m): 6:27pm On Dec 02, 2014
I remember while in school, whenever we had organizations come in to my faculty give aids lecture, at the end of which they would unfailingly give free condoms, I would watch in disbelief as my friends would reject the free condoms. These are guys who walked around with packs of condom and always had condoms in their purse.
Why would someone who goes around with condoms reject free condom. Is there anything bad in people knowing that one is sexually active

9 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by ITbomb(m): 7:01pm On Dec 02, 2014
A friend of mine grin once told me that his gf quarrelled with him because he used cheap gold circle on her that a girl of her class deserve at least a Durex at N300 per pack. WTF shocked

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by baba11(m): 8:41pm On Dec 02, 2014
maclatunji:
Would I accept a pack of free condoms?

I don't know. It might depend on my frame of mind at that point in time.
So if you collect it,what are you going to do with it?Throw it away or do the needful?!hennn....#Chai!
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by baba11(m): 8:44pm On Dec 02, 2014
Seun:
If you really need it,there's no need to be shy...atleast,you are an adult so you are free to do whatever you like in as much as it's within the ampits of the law of the land...

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by baba11(m): 8:51pm On Dec 02, 2014
What is the essence of giving free condoms?are they promoting promiscusity or abstinence....So if i took it,wouldn't i find somehow to use it....i believe they are marketing their products not minding degrading moral in our society...If you want to preach nay HIV,preach faithfulness to your spouse and abstinence.Why will you give someone condoms without asking his marital status...#Chai##SMH

18 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by MysticZeus: 10:13pm On Dec 02, 2014
'

Well, I don't accept such gestures.

I would rather walk into the Pharmacy or Supermarket to get a Pack of My desired brand of Condom.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by maclatunji: 12:37am On Dec 03, 2014
baba11:
So if you collect it,what are you going to do with it?Throw it away or do the needful?!hennn....#Chai!

Just keep it, it doesn't bite does it?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by maclatunji: 12:44am On Dec 03, 2014
I think the problem with such a campaign is that it portrays people as being unable to control their sexual urges and must have sex when they should not.

So whilst many may be having such sex, they don't want to be found out.

Baba11's question to me points this out. His only options for me is either: "throw it away" or "use it". There are several other options:

1. Just keep it.

2. Use it for something else other than sex.

3. Give it to someone else (a married friend).

5 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by maclatunji: 12:45am On Dec 03, 2014
baba11:
What is the essence of giving free condoms?are they promoting promiscusity or abstinence....So if i took it,wouldn't i find somehow to use it....i believe they are marketing their products not minding degrading moral in our society...If you want to preach nay HIV,preach faithfulness to your spouse and abstinence.Why will you give someone condoms without asking his marital status...#Chai##SMH

An interesting submission.
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Rexphobia(m): 7:09pm On Dec 03, 2014
I have nothing sensible to say.

Scratch that....

If you will like someone to anonymously drop a pack of latex (ruff rider and durex), at your door or under ur bed from time to time. Click like... In fact, I don't want like... Just share.

I hate buying condoms from the pharmacy too as the cashier and other customers need not imagine much. Them go dey look me like na me sin pass.

Make online stores like Jumia begin sell CD make man pikin fit order, nack punnani and free *holy.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by kimond101: 7:09pm On Dec 03, 2014
True
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by eemalex(m): 7:09pm On Dec 03, 2014
Not all
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by datguru: 7:09pm On Dec 03, 2014
No sane person should accept free condom
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by iceberylin(m): 7:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
They no get sense grin
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by englishmart(m): 7:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
I Don't know pls. Don't ever ask me again

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
I'm here to read comment.
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 03, 2014
Abeg, if u get free condoms, send am to my email. I really need them pls.

Thank.
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by holatin(m): 7:12pm On Dec 03, 2014
no. some don't like it.
you know sex with condom is like bathing with suit.
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Calebosko(m): 7:12pm On Dec 03, 2014
dats non of my business,cus am a virgin,

my father told me to concentrate in my studies hey in france

the only tin i know is vaseline and saliver,

beside hey in france they dont use condom.

Oh les i forget......Team vaseline, i want to ask vaseline and salifer which one swit pass?

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Cwaya(m): 7:12pm On Dec 03, 2014
Seun:

hehe
Uncle Seun iyav said it all ! grin cool
Re: Are Nigerians Who Reject Free Condoms Hypocrites? by Swizdoe(m): 7:12pm On Dec 03, 2014
Question for the gods

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Does Condom Protect You From AIDS? / No New Confirmed Cases Of Ebola In Lagos! / Anambra Records First Coronavirus Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.