Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop (30491 Views)

Aluminium Vs Asbestos Roofing Sheets. / Choosing Between PVC And Asbestos Ceiling Board. / What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by PRODUTIM1(m): 2:42pm On Dec 04, 2014
I needed the help of building engineers and those that have the experience to help me choose between using pvc and asbestos in my building project. I have just reach the level where i want to do the ceiling now.Some says pop is the best and is very costly. Also, pvc on the other use to swell up sometimes. Are people still using asbestos? Nairalanders pls your advice is urgently needed here.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by mufutau55(m): 5:22pm On Dec 04, 2014
PRODUTIM1:
I needed the help of building engineers and those that have the experience to help me choose between using pvc and asbestos in my building project. I have just reach the level where i want to do the ceiling now.Some says pop is the best and is very costly. Also, pvc on the other use to swell up sometimes. Are people still using asbestos? Nairalanders pls your advice is urgently needed here.

1. Nothing beats POP, but you heard right, expensive. But it's the best.
2. PVC, if you buy the cheap Chinese made it will wobble later... Some locally made ones are good like Amoula, Innoson, etc.
3. Asbestos.. that is something of the old, but many people still use it.. I have no comment on this.
4. People are also using Gypsum Board ceilings.. also a little bit expensive like POP.. (They come both in design and plain formats).

So, the choice is based on how heavy your pocket is.

Hajji M.

4 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by PRODUTIM1(m): 6:36pm On Dec 04, 2014
mufutau55:

2. PVC, if you buy the cheap Chinese made it will wobble later... Some locally made ones are good like Amoula, Innoson, etc.
3. Asbestos.. that is something of the old, but many people still use it.. I have no comment on this.
4. Please have also used Gypsum Board ceilings.. also a little bit expensive.. (Do a google search for it).

Hajji M.
Tanx so much bro I will do d search
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by mufutau55(m): 7:01pm On Dec 04, 2014
PRODUTIM1:
Tanx so much bro I will do d search

Ok.. Let me just show you the Gypsum board.. they are like N2,200 - N2,800 per sqm, it could be less with quality and design.
It's like POP kind of, they come like the asbestos sizes.

Hajji M.

Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by boljmak: 8:58pm On Dec 04, 2014
PRODUTIM1:
produtimi I think hajj M make a good point too. It depends on ur budget. Both are ceiling but the easthetics value are different.why don't you mixed pvc with pop by chosen pop for living room,dining and verrandah and you can decide to choose from pvc and asbestos for the rest space..atleast u hv bn able to cut d cost.Boljmak

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by mufutau55(m): 9:14pm On Dec 04, 2014
boljmak:
produtimi I think hajj M make a good point too. It depends on ur budget. Both are ceiling but the easthetics value are different.why don't you mixed pvc with pop by chosen pop for living room,dining and verrandah and you can decide to choose from pvc and asbestos for the rest space..atleast u hv bn able to cut d cost. Boljmak

Good advise... when money is short, mix the materials to save on cost. Thanks you.

Hajji M.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by segcymoor(m): 9:25am On Dec 05, 2014
@Haji u are too much sir. Even average enginer the man refer the question to hardly ve time for research.
May Lord enrich your knowledge. !
Compliment of the season in advance
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by trumpcoat(m): 9:42am On Dec 05, 2014
The gypsum boad is good and less but I don't use it because by the time the board multiply the design on it will be too much. I prefer plain one. And the best is POP.

www.trumpcoat.com.ng
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by mufutau55(m): 11:46am On Dec 05, 2014
segcymoor:
@Haji u are too much sir. Even average enginer the man refer the question to hardly ve time for research.
May Lord enrich your knowledge. !
Compliment of the season in advance
Thank you sir, for the compliments.
I know all our Engineers here are too busy with their various projects, so I just gave my unqualified/unprofessional opinion.

Hajji M.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by boljmak: 12:24pm On Dec 05, 2014
I am using Gypsum Ceiling for one of my site here in abuja. the design is simple and modern for recess indirect light. though, it is a little bit expensive like pop. Arc.boljmak

Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by PRODUTIM1(m): 2:49pm On Dec 05, 2014
boljmak:
produtimi I think hajj M make a good point too. It depends on ur budget. Both are ceiling but the easthetics value are different.why don't you mixed pvc with pop by chosen pop for living room,dining and verrandah and you can decide to choose from pvc and asbestos for the rest space..atleast u hv bn able to cut d cost.Boljmak
wow! Gud idea.Tanx
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by mufutau55(m): 3:54pm On Dec 05, 2014
boljmak:
I am using Gypsum Ceiling for one of my site here in abuja. the design is simple and modern for recess indirect light. though, it is a little bit expensive like pop. Arc.boljmak

Thank you sir.. May be you can give us some cost per sqm, if possible.

Hajji M.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by realK: 6:56pm On Dec 05, 2014
It all depends on your budget. I had to mix pop with asbestos in one project I am handling. You can get pop for prices ranging from 2500 to 3200 per Sqr meter depending on who you are talking to and complexity of the design.

We got asbestos from Amu at 1150 per 16 Sqr feet (one without design is 1100). We are using 4x4 to save cost on wood. I hope this helps.

Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by Dominionng(m): 12:56am On Dec 06, 2014
Gypsum ceiling is cheap if you want it plain like below. You can get the materials, installation and the full screeding for N1,800 - N2,000 per sqm.

...but more expensive if you crave for a paparazzi design like the last pics.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by boljmak: 10:27am On Dec 06, 2014
mufutau55:

Thank you sir.. May be you can give us some cost per sqm, if possible.

Hajji M.

DOMINIONNG make a very good point.. the price per square meter of Gypsum board installation and the full screeding ranges from N1,800 - N2,000 per sqm.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by boljmak: 10:58am On Dec 06, 2014
PRODUTIM1:

IT WILL NOT BE NICE IF I DON'T EXTEND THIS OPPORTUNITY HERE....END OF THE YEAR PACKAGE FOR OUR FRIENDS AND PROFOUND PATRONAGE OF GEMSTONE DESIGN LTD. WE ARE DOING FREE PHOTEREALISTIC 3D MODEL OF UR EXISTING OR PROPOSED PROJECT. EITHER FROM UR CLIENT OR UR PERSONAL PROJECT....ARE YOU SURPRISE??NO DONT BE..WE ARE DOING THIS TO APPRECIATE ALL UR PATRONAGE IN THIS GLORIOUS YEAR 2014. YOU CAN SEND UR 2D DRAWING TO gemstonedezn@gmail.com. Or call 08033796816. Arc. boljmak.
this offer will last till wed.10th dec.014.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by mufutau55(m): 11:55am On Dec 06, 2014
boljmak:

DOMINIONNG make a very good point.. the price per square meter of Gypsum board installation and the full screeding ranges from N1,800 - N2,000 per sqm.

Good. Thank you.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by komengo: 2:42pm On Dec 06, 2014
Pls use fibre cement ceiling boards ( No Asbestos in it again since 2001). You can get quailty ones from any Nigerite dealer. Others are easily damaged by water if the roofs leak. Fibre Cement is a bit fire resistant and is sound asorbant. So it it rains and ur roof is aluminium it won't be very noisy. PVC and gypsum boards r very cheap sub standard building materials that won't last.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by binie: 7:28pm On Dec 06, 2014
Stay away from asbestos its dangerous.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by marjo: 7:58pm On Dec 07, 2014
komengo:
Pls use fibre cement ceiling boards ( No Asbestos in it again since 2001). You can get quailty ones from any Nigerite dealer. Others are easily damaged by water if the roofs leak. Fibre Cement is a bit fire resistant and is sound asorbant. So it it rains and ur roof is aluminium it won't be very noisy. PVC and gypsum boards r very cheap sub standard building materials that won't last.
this comment intrests me. assuming one has a roof that leaks(nothing major) , what type of ceiling can one install that leakage will not quickly damage. is there any ceiling type that is a bit water leakage resistant.? i await a response pls.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by mufutau55(m): 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2014
marjo:

this comment intrests me. assuming one has a roof that leaks(nothing major) , what type of ceiling can one install that leakage will not quickly damage. is there any ceiling type that is a bit water leakage resistant.? i await a response pls.

In my un-professional opinion it will be PVC... cause it's like plastic, no damage to water.

Hajji M.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by Dominionng(m): 8:38pm On Dec 07, 2014
marjo:

Your best bet remains Gypsum ceiling Sir.

Fibre cement board is good, it can withstand a tank of water grin but the problem with this is that your roof can be leaking for years without you noticing.

Unlike Gypsum board which absorbs the water and indicates by changing colour at the particular spot where water drops so as to know the right place where the roof needs repair.

NOTE: When I say GYPSUM BOARD, I meant Original Gypsum board because 90% of the Gypsum boards in the Nigeria market were brought in from China. Unlike the Original board, they are not heat resistance, not fire resistance and they absorbs little or no water. They are prone to be weak after few drops of water, more of that and the ceiling is coming down.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by peaceland(m): 11:04pm On Jun 03, 2015
Dominionng:

Your best bet remains Gypsum ceiling Sir.

Fibre cement board is good, it can withstand a tank of water grin but the problem with this is that your roof can be leaking for years without you noticing.

Unlike Gypsum board which absorbs the water and indicates by changing colour at the particular spot where water drops so as to know the right place where the roof needs repair.

NOTE: When I say GYPSUM BOARD, I meant Original Gypsum board because 90% of the Gypsum boards in the Nigeria market were brought in from China. Unlike the Original board, they are not heat resistance, not fire resistance and they absorbs little or no water. They are prone to be weak after few drops of water, more of that and the ceiling is coming down.

Please what is FIBRE CEMENT BOARD?
WHO HAS OR MAKES IT IN NIGERIA?
Thanks
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by peaceland(m): 11:07pm On Jun 03, 2015
komengo:
Please what is FIBRE CEMENT ceiling board and who makes it in Nigeria, How different from normal 4*4 ceiling sheet from nigerite?
Thanks sir
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by Dominionng(m): 6:02am On Jun 04, 2015
peaceland:

Please what is FIBRE CEMENT BOARD?
WHO HAS OR MAKES IT IN NIGERIA?
Thanks

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cement_board
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by cleric(m): 6:24am On Jun 05, 2015
PRODUTIM1:

Please note that asbestos has a lot of health implications and as such if I were to be you, I would gladly rule it out of my options. As rightly mentioned by others, it all depends on your pocket.
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by virgoons: 11:37am On Jun 24, 2017
fixing ceiling board and some of lights normally very smarter look to decor your home.so many of people want to do with low effective cost with led lights and spots lights and then painting. we are doing these things with professionalism and effect of people quiet amazing after finishing of work.
problem which customer faced that some times from ceiling humidity got space and then after few years the board starting to leave paint and band as well.
is there any more solution you people have to solve these problems.please try to communicate and leave your answer

www.dubaielectrical-plumber.com

Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by garbahamzat(m): 3:45pm On Nov 27, 2017
opomulero:
Hamzat let me have your mobile number.
We can do things together
I am producing fibre ceiling board in Nigeria Osogbo to be precise, the ceiling comes in 0.6m by 0.6m I.e 2ft by 2ft. In any design of your choice, the cost of the ceiling is #350 per one and it is #1400 per pack .

1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by opomulero(m): 11:36am On Dec 11, 2017
Hamzat let me have your mobile number.
We can do things together
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by Engrgreg231(m): 4:51pm On Apr 25, 2020
mufutau55:

4. People are also using Gypsum Board ceilings.. also a little bit expensive like POP.. (They come both in design and plain formats).

Hajji M.
bro can you talk about this gypsum board and also I am handling a project but my client doesn't want to use asbestos outside the house nor the aluminum because the house has no parapet walls do you have any idea
Re: Advice Needed: Between Pvc, Asbestos And Pop by theipn: 6:30am On Sep 21, 2022
We understand how important your home is! That’s why our team works with paints with long shelf life, which last for many years and are resistant to all types of weather. We use products with the best quality for complete customer satisfaction. Best paints are our priority to give you an eco-friendly environment with zero harmful ingredients. We are always concerned with your safety first.

Hurry up to click now to book online home services. We believe in quality, experience, and artistry with the best wall paint services. All this you can get at very affordable rates which are matchless by our competitors. [url=http://hawaalbaherts.com/walls-paint-services-dubai/
]Walls Paint Services in Dubai[/url]Paint Services Dubai
Electrical services Dubai
Plumbing Services Dubai
Ceiling ServicesDubai
Waterproofing Services Dubai
Annual Maintenance Contract Services Dubai
Swimming pool Construction services Abu Dhabi

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days / Abuja's Amazing Construction Projects / Architectural Designs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.