Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,088 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

How To Increase Your Network Speed With A LAN Switch - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Increase Your Network Speed With A LAN Switch (847 Views)

How To Increase Your Internet Speed With TP Link Router / How To Hack Wireless/lan Networks / Plz: Help Me Setup A Lan Of 10pcs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Increase Your Network Speed With A LAN Switch by SirNetwork(m): 3:31pm On Dec 04, 2014
Bros, as the traffic load grows on your network, how do you manage congestion and reduce collisions? Na by switching o.
Network switches are like the tires of a BRT bus—you take them for granted until there's a problem.
Effective switching is essential to handle the growing network traffic coming from video and other bandwidth-intensive applications, more user devices, and more packets headed to servers and storage in the cloud.
But you know say any small or midsized business can use LAN switching to sustain the speeds and availability that users need? In this article I go show you how and try as much as possible to be brief.
1. Segment Your Network Logically, Using VLANs
A traditional flat network (which places all traffic in a single broadcast domain) can easily overload switch links. Instead, apply your switch's VLAN features to send traffic only where it needs to go, at the speed it needs to go.
You can use a variety of Layer 2 and Layer 3 VLAN types to segment traffic. Many Cisco switches offer such services for small and midsized businesses.
2. Provide the Needed Capacity
Deploy the processing power and bandwidth that your segments, applications, and users need. To reduce latency, congestion, and collisions, apply switch capacity capabilities such as:
A fast engine: Switches that forward traffic at wire speed sometimes cost more but can be the performance difference you'd see between an old and new car.
Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP). This standard feature increases available bandwidth by trunking ports. Think of using LACP on four ports as dynamically adding four traffic lanes, not increasing speed fourfold.
3. Apply Wire-Speed Routing Between VLANs
Inter-VLAN routing is necessary for any user or server that uses multiple VLANs. Use your switch, not your router software, to route inter-VLAN traffic. And offloading the router allows it to better handle its WAN connectivity and firewall functions, improving overall network performance. Also take advantage of both the static and dynamic IP routing capabilities in your switch.
4. Prioritize Applications and Apply Traffic Shaping
Make the best use of your bandwidth by controlling access to it. You can use the following switch features to set performance parameters based on the traffic's importance and sensitivity to jitter and latency; also check to confirm that the connected devices support the feature:
Prioritize applications by 802.1p/q tag (a Layer 2 switching capability)
Prioritize applications by IP header (differentiated services code point (DSCP)/type of service (ToS), a Layer 3 switching capability).
Shape traffic to delay packets, using criteria such as bandwidth throttling or rate limiting.
5. Set Endpoint Parameters, Preferably Automatically
Set the switch's endpoint ports for optimal performance, using parameters such as storm control, number of devices allowed, quality of service (QoS), and VLANs.
Integrate Your Switching, Reduce Expenses
Applying these five tips--in combination with Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) or other monitoring and management tools as well as switch security features such as dynamic Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) inspection, IP Source Guard, and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Snooping to thwart attacks--can produce awesome network performance. And help your company save money. Na so I see am o.
Re: How To Increase Your Network Speed With A LAN Switch by minmini: 5:14am On Dec 17, 2014
Nice information. It's very useful tips to improve my internet speed. Now i have better internet speed. Finally i checked my internet speed using the site ScanMySpeed.com
Re: How To Increase Your Network Speed With A LAN Switch by sirrinky: 9:05am On Dec 17, 2014
Showing off ur newly acquired ccna knowledge abi? Welldone,but then what do u do wen u have an unmanaged switch in ur hands? U try sha

(1) (Reply)

For Those Who Knows Their Stuff: Check Out This New Hp In Town / Strong Hp Gaming And Workstation Laptop With Nividia 1gb Dedicated Graphic Ram / 4 Reasons To Buy '' Previously-used '' Gadgets In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.