Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,751 members, 7,806,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' (6433 Views)

Jamb! This Better Be True!!! Please Help My Cousin Confirm This.. / What You Don't Know About National Open University Of Nigeria (noun) / The Origin Of The Word Oyibo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Esdb(m): 4:46pm On Dec 04, 2014
I was taken aback when I saw this too.
And this can cause confusion so read fastidiously.

The children of brothers and sisters are First cousins to each other.

The children of first cousins are second cousins to each other. The child of one's first cousin and the first cousin[/b]of one's parents is one's [b]first cousin first removed.

The grand child of one's first cousin or the first cousin of one's grand child is one's second cousin twice removed .

Phew! The top of my head hurts from trying to know what that means. I got lost at the first removed part whoevver understands pls do explain.

Torh... I read this and it explained a bit to me what all that means... Hope it does to you too.

If someone walked up to you and said "Howdy, I'm your third cousin, twice removed," would you have any idea what they meant?
Most people have a good understanding of basic relationship words such as "mother," "father," "aunt," "uncle," "brother," and "sister." But what about the relationship terms that we don't use in everyday speech? Terms like "second cousin" and "first cousin, once removed"? We don't tend to speak about our relationships in such exact terms ("cousin" seems good enough when you are introducing one person to another), so most of us aren't familiar with what these words mean.

Relationship Terms
Sometimes, especially when working on your family history, it's handy to know how to describe your family relationships more exactly. The definitions below should help you out.
Cousin (a.k.a "first cousin"wink
Your first cousins are the people in your family who have two of the same grandparents as you. In other words, they are the children of your aunts and uncles.
Second Cousin
Your second cousins are the people in your family who have the same great-grandparents as you., but not the same grandparents.
Third, Fourth, and Fifth Cousins
Your third cousins have the same great-great-grandparents, fourth cousins have the same great-great-great-grandparents, and so on.

Removed

When the word "removed" is used to describe a relationship, it indicates that the two people are from different generations. You and your first cousins are in the same generation (two generations younger than your grandparents), so the word "removed" is not used to describe your relationship.
The words "once removed" mean that there is a difference of one generation. For example, your mother's first cousin is your first cousin, once removed. This is because your mother's first cousin is one generation younger than your grandparents and you are two generations younger than your grandparents. This one-generation difference equals "once removed."

Twice removed means that there is a two-generation difference. You are two generations younger than a first cousin of your grandmother, so you and your grandmother's first cousin are first cousins, twice removed.

4 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by ammyluv2002(f): 4:50pm On Dec 04, 2014
embarassed
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 04, 2014
confused

5 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Esdb(m): 4:52pm On Dec 04, 2014
ammyluv2002:
embarassed
you don't get it too right?

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by killercute16(m): 5:12pm On Dec 04, 2014
I dont understand anything here

7 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by gmacnoms(m): 5:16pm On Dec 04, 2014
Op, please write dis thins u say in french, maybe we'll understand

5 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Crystalline(f): 5:28pm On Dec 04, 2014
Hmm... pls can u type in Nigerian language?
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by tpiah2: 5:49pm On Dec 04, 2014
so . . . . . . . . . .
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 04, 2014
??
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Esdb(m): 7:42pm On Dec 04, 2014
I have gotten it let's see if this would help. Check the education thread for it.
silvermania:
??
johnjohnson:
cool
johnjohnson:
cool jeez dis simple thing

Y are u scrolling down
[
Crystalline:
Hmm... pls can u type in Nigerian language?
EroticAngelina:
confused
ammyluv2002:
embarassed
ammyluv2002:
embarassed
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by HFOG(f): 7:46pm On Dec 04, 2014
Can't get what you wrote but let me try to explain what I've known or heard. My cousin is the child of my uncle or aunt. My children and the children of my cousins are second cousins to themselves. Meaning that I'm a second cousin to the children of my father's cousin.

2 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by unibenstudent1(m): 8:11pm On Dec 04, 2014
This is y yaba left will keep getting full

5 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by ggrin(f): 8:37pm On Dec 04, 2014
Nickzembarassed
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by BaddieKay(f): 8:46pm On Dec 04, 2014
really deep

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by iykofias(m): 8:46pm On Dec 04, 2014
All i can see is cousin and some few blah blah blah

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 04, 2014
Over here in Rome, cousin is cousin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Tonydeeb(m): 8:56pm On Dec 04, 2014
You be frenchman? Abeg, speak in english & we myt reconsider...
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Abbey2sam(m): 9:20pm On Dec 04, 2014
Can ýou please translate what you wrote to French .....

cuz we don't understand what you wrote in France

BTW, i school in France
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Esdb(m): 9:35pm On Dec 04, 2014
Abbey2sam:
Can ýou please translate what you wrote to French .....
cuz we don't understand what you wrote in France
BTW, i school in France
rapsodeep:
Over here in Rome, cousin is cousin
Tonydeeb:
You be frenchman? Abeg, speak in english & we myt reconsider...
unibenstudent1:
This is y yaba left will keep getting full
ggrin:
Nickzembarassed
I have explained ooooo boda yaba left u need to be there because u obviously don't talk with sense. Olodo. Omo
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by zaynie(f): 9:39pm On Dec 04, 2014
A and B are cousins, also first cousins.
A gave birth to X
B gave birth to Y
X and Y are second cousins.
X/ Y are first cousins once removed to A/B and vice versa.
A has a grandchild P
B has a grandchild Q
P/Q are second cousins twice removed to A/ B and vice versa.

You get?

5 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by dapotemi: 10:10pm On Dec 04, 2014
?wetin be dis
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by motherlode: 10:27pm On Dec 04, 2014
@op thanks at least i learned something new?!. grin
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by lanicky(f): 10:57pm On Dec 04, 2014
@Op...I think u're my first cousin...."thrice removed" undecided

What u wrote is as confusing as Nigeria's politics.

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by cococandy(f): 10:58pm On Dec 04, 2014
OP it seems like you're my third cousin four times removed angry

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by cococandy(f): 10:59pm On Dec 04, 2014
lanicky:
@Op...I think u're my first cousin...."thrice removed" undecided

What u wrote is as confusing as Nigeria's politics.
come on get outta my head cheesy
Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by lanicky(f): 11:03pm On Dec 04, 2014
cococandy:
come on get outta my head cheesy

Ur head?!! shocked

Lol..hehe

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Cpumping(m): 11:49pm On Dec 04, 2014
See ehh...

*sleeps off*

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by oseiwe(m): 12:02am On Dec 05, 2014
removed from where?

2 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About The Word 'COUSIN' by Gabreal1(m): 12:06am On Dec 05, 2014
zaynie:
A and B are cousins, also first cousins.
A gave birth to X
B gave birth to Y
X and Y are second cousins.
X/ Y are first cousins once removed to A/B and vice versa.
A has a grandchild P
B has a grandchild Q
P/Q are second cousins twice removed to A/ B and vice versa.

You get?
Haven't you heard tha students hate X and Y? Lecturers are always asking us to look for them. tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? / Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? / Why My Girlfriend Always Consciously Cover Her Breasts While Having Sex With Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.