Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Life or Free Will: which is more important? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Life or Free Will: which is more important? (1449 Views)

The Fallacy Of "Free Will" / Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? / Human Free Will vrs God's All-Knowing Nature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life or Free Will: which is more important? by salako: 9:28am On Sep 28, 2005
For a long time now i have not stood under the banner of Christianity mainly because two Christians can have completely opposing views on whether it is OK to kill or not and both use the same bible to support their stance (and other things like that). It just seems pointless.

The man known as Jesus adopted a philosophy which basically suggests that Free Will is more important than anything even life itself.
He went on to demonstrate his philosophy by using his free will to put his life before his values.

Some people fully believe that "A man that puts his life before his free will, is already a slave to anybody that dare take it." and "A man that puts a vice before his free will, is already a slave to anybody that dare harm it.".

Please bear in mind the following statements:

"Free Will is there to protect man from his vices". (IE man has the free will to avoid them)
"Mans vices are: Pride, Greed, Envy, Sloth, Gluttony, Lust and Anger".

MY QUESTION IS THIS: Which is more improtant Life or Free Will?
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by Hndholder(m): 3:25pm On Sep 28, 2005
Free will is a gift from most high. If you die your spirit still enjoy that free will.
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by layi(m): 3:51am On Sep 29, 2005
Without freewill, you only exist as a mere robotic creation...u don't Live.
Its freewil that makes us appreciate Life. U need freewill to really LIVE
They are inseparable..none is more important.
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by salako: 8:39am On Sep 29, 2005
layi:

Without freewill, you only exist as a mere robotic creation...u don't Live.
Its freewil that makes us appreciate Life. U need freewill to really LIVE
They are inseparable..none is more important.

Layi if you are a slave, essentially, you are without free will. Your master can force you to kill, steal, have sex (rape) or do anything. Your will becomes your masters. You  have life but no free will except for that which your Master grants.
To enslave a person is to coerce them to act against their will for their life. It is one or the other. Complete free autonomy over ones life or not... for the purpose of survival. They are separable.
So again... which should come first?
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by Hndholder(m): 9:17am On Sep 29, 2005
You almost mis the point here, No earthly decision without influnce from others. You chose to be a slave out of your free will to chose from so many things in life.
If you are forced against your free will. You call for it but not known to you. Even killed for what ever you sow you reap.
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by Hndholder(m): 1:56pm On Sep 30, 2005
Man and his free will
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by salako: 6:51pm On Sep 30, 2005
Hnd-holder:

You almost mis the point here, No earthly decision without influnce from others. You chose to be a slave out of your free will to chose from so many things in life.
If you are forced against your free will. You call for it but not known to you. Even killed for what ever you sow you reap.

Yes but influenced decisions are made without the threat of imminent death. The question is 'if it were a choice between acting against your will or death... which takes president? Your life or your will?
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by Hndholder(m): 10:42am On Oct 04, 2005
One need not to be foolish to commit suicide in the name of free will,Every one will prefer to live. Free will is a spiritual event not a choice of alternative. Every one would want to be rich but all can not be rich. Eve after death free will still exist.
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by salako: 12:45pm On Oct 04, 2005
Well what I mean by free will is - what one has the power to control. One cannot control whether or not they become rich. One can only control ones actions.
Free Will is there to protect man from his vices (Anger, Vanity, Sloth, Gluttony, Greed, Envy & Lust), men that submit to (stop fighting) their vices live in violation of Gods commands.

It is easy to submit to these vices; once a man loses the will to fight his vices, he becomes misguided from God and a slave to his own desires as opposed to Gods.
Once a man is a slave only to his own desires, he automatically compromises any allegiance to God, and thus becomes a self-serving renegade in this world, that belongs to God and only God. We here are all servants and must conduct ourselves in that manner favourable to our Master.

Under no circumstances can a man commit suicide for the sake of free will. Suicide is a selfish action born out of vanity.

So in the respect to the question posed by myself. Free will is to be observed before life. For, if one chooses life over their will to observe Gods Laws then they live in violation of God and peace.
A life in sin (without God) is filled with fear, doubt and conflict.
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by layi(m): 12:09pm On Oct 05, 2005
ajsalako:

Well what I mean by free will is - what one has the power to control. One cannot control whether or not they become rich.
I disagree. Some people are born into wealth but they can become paupers with a singular negative act. Lots of people are born poor but they work their way into affluence. U can control wether you become rich or not.

ajsalako:

Free will is to be observed before life. For, if one chooses life over their will to observe Gods Laws then they live in violation of God and peace.
To Live is in itself a law of GOD. Deuteronomy 30:19 . No law can stand against your life. Gods laws are just.
Mind you, the laws are meant for the living.
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by salako: 2:22pm On Oct 05, 2005
1. working for wealth is not controlling wealth.
2. losing wealth is not controlling wealth

Where did you find Deuteronomy 30:19 in my last post? I did not, quote the bible. shocked
If nobody can stand against life, how did Jesus die? All he had to do was give-up his beliefs, and he would have been speared.
He chose to be faithful to his beliefs at the risk of and his inevitable death. Was that violating gods law about life? i don't think so.
Tell me Layi - What decision do you think Jesus make when they threatened his life, to silence his beliefs? rolleyes
I believe the free will to observe gods laws, is of more value than life itself. wink
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by nferyn(m): 10:38pm On Oct 19, 2005
Absolute free will does not exist. Your choices are limited by both internal and external factors

Life is only as important as it's consequences on the happiness of people be it your own or the people close to you (family, friends, children). The more impact your life has, the more important it becomes, be it positive or negative.

The impact that was a direct consequence of your choices is what you are ethically bound to (e.g. if you have children or enter in a marriage, you can no longer autonomously decide over your own life and commit suicide, you have no such obligations with regards to your parents, as you did have no say in being born - but of course that does not mean you should disregard their feelings)
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by nikos: 5:04pm On Jun 12, 2007
I sincerely think it will do us a lot of good to av a working definition as to wot FREE WILL is
Re: Life or Free Will: which is more important? by nikos: 5:12pm On Jun 12, 2007
is anyone in the house?

(1) (Reply)

Overcoming witchcraft Attacks against Your Mind And body / PICTURES- Boy Storm The Alter During A Mass Audience At St Peters Square Rome. / What Does Christmas Means To You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.