Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,755 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study (6887 Views)

Anyone Studying In Portugal!!!! / Stay And Develop Your Country- Briton To Nigerian Youths / Can I Fly To Any Schengen Country Without Stopping At The Country Of Issuance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Eke40seven(m): 4:38pm On Dec 05, 2014
Since the advent of civilisation and formal Education, people have left their ancestral homes to seek for education far away from their cozy beds and loving families and the trend still exist till today. Germans go to America to study and vice versa. Nigeria is not an exception. In fact, as a Nigerian or African, there is obviously far more motivation to leave the shores of our dark continent or even sometimes still within the continent to seek for this education. According to the international student guide (2014), there are currently 1800 Nigerian students in the UK and 8000 in the US!

However, you can trust the fact that for an African, Nigerian especially it goes beyond education, there are other factors we seek for in guise of education. We look at the total package. The long and short term advantages which must be enticing enough for us if we must leave our "comfort zone", although many will not want me to ascribe that term to Nigeria, when we put the difficult challenges of existing in this nation into context.

Now, for those who have trodden or still treading the foreign education path, how do you comparatively assess the trade off. Do you listen to the news sitting on your couch in London and wished you were in Germany or have you ever sulked tearfully all day wishing to be under the tutelage of a Canadian professor in British Columbia while being envious of your friend who is a regular face in Western Union, building a second house in his ancestral home whilst enjoying the same quality of education? Do you in contrast think your country of location is the best for schooling and of a better prosect after that?
Let's here you out.

However, in order to ease and guide your line of thought I would recommend you think in the direction of the points below:

Ease of visa. (Scale 1-5)
quality of Education (Scale, 1-5)
General Affordability (scale 1-5
Ease of Admission """''. """""
Quality of life as a foreign student """""""

Size of fellow Africans/Nigeria and their attitude towards their fellow countrymen (scale 1-5)

Self sufficiency/survival/hustle (scale 1-5) (narrate) does the govt. policies help?

Long term benefits: Does the policies encourage you to stay back and gain employment; ease of gaining employment; citizenship/permanent resident permits, etc.

Why did you choose it, why not another country?

Do you think its worth the cost? Do you think you are going to break even pecuniarily in let's say, 5 years?

If you were to choose another country, where would it be?

Would you want to come back to your fatherland/motherland after studies?

You can also freely add other points and observation.
Let's make it informative.

** on the scale given, 1 is the lowest score and 5 highest

9 Likes

Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by busky101(m): 9:54pm On Dec 05, 2014
Yes boss, I get your point...
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Eke40seven(m): 5:46pm On Dec 09, 2014
Well, its weird, I will have to answer some of my own questions. Although am not in the best position to answer but let me keep the thread alive because of the immense benefits it will have for many.

FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY

*Ease of visa =3/5 Because of the blocked account/sponsorship letter
*Quality of Education= 4/5 (more than 35 of its unis are in the top 500 schools in the world)
*General Affordability = 5/5 (if you can afford to school in Nigeria, you can afford it apart from the higher cost of living of course)
*Ease of Admission= 3/5 (You can apply for an unlimited number of school to improve your chances but o'level will 98% of the time not give you Bsc admission neither will less than a 3.0/5.0 CGPA for masters)
*Quality of life as a foreign student= 4/5
* Size of African/Nigerian students= 3/5
*Survival/hustle= 4/5 (German economy is the best in Europe
*Long term benefits= 18 months for graduate job search after school; 2 years after graduate job equals an automatic permanent residence, blue chip for some profession, shengen country which gives access to more than 26 countries and easy access visa to US and Canada.

why Germany: good job policies for foreign students, English taught courses available, the economy.

is it worth the cost? More than one can imagine. Would even break even still while schooling.

If I were to choose another country, it would be Canada.

Fatherland? Home is where my heart is and my heart is where things work.

Roll in your contributions.
Can any other country beat that offer?

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by dencotech(m): 10:21pm On Jan 23, 2015
Dear Eke40Seven i love ur interview encounter post. I also had my Visa interview on 16th of January. I want to no if u have gotten a reply (Visa Offer) from the embassy. Also how long did it take for them to contact u after ur interview
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Eke40seven(m): 5:02am On Jan 24, 2015
dencotech:
Dear Eke40Seven i love ur interview encounter post. I also had my Visa interview on 16th of January. I want to no if u have gotten a reply (Visa Offer) from the embassy. Also how long did it take for them to contact u after ur interview

Bros, if them reply me? You no know how far be that grin.
This is what is called the "waiting period" the most tensed up period. just listen to music and have fun to get the thing out of your mind. The responses are NEVER at same time for two people going to different school or location. expect at least from 9 days to 11 weeks, (which are usually the extreme). Anything approaching these limits will be considered very lucky or unfortunate.

I hope the info is useful?

Good luck!
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by sonyville(m): 11:24am On Aug 01, 2015
Eke40seven I have followed ur write ups espechalky with the German visa stuffs. I appreciate.
Please I have a situation... I applied for master program at Tum munich, since may, but they are yet to decide on my application. I just discovered that it's always advised for applicants to start the visa earlier. They say it takes like 3 months from opening of block account to visa issuance. The winter semester resumes October 1st. Do u think I can still make it?
Secondly, having noticed the short time, I applied for German language course in Germany, with the intention of differing my admission to summer, cuz the school allows that. With the language school, I will be able to adapt easily. Do u think it's d right thing to do? Even with The intention of German school, I will still apply for a student visa. I believe with the masters application confirmation mail + invitation letter from the language school in Berlin, I will be issued a student visa. Whats your take?
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Eke40seven(m): 6:57am On Aug 02, 2015
sonyville:
Eke40seven I have followed ur write ups espechalky with the German visa stuffs. I appreciate.
Please I have a situation... I applied for master program at Tum munich, since may, but they are yet to decide on my application. I just discovered that it's always advised for applicants to start the visa earlier. They say it takes like 3 months from opening of block account to visa issuance. The winter semester resumes October 1st. Do u think I can still make it?
Secondly, having noticed the short time, I applied for German language course in Germany, with the intention of differing my admission to summer, cuz the school allows that. With the language school, I will be able to adapt easily. Do u think it's d right thing to do? Even with The intention of German school, I will still apply for a student visa. I believe with the masters application confirmation mail + invitation letter from the language school in Berlin, I will be issued a student visa. Whats your take?
Your situation is a dicey one. I applied to TUM around ending of March which is suppose to be the deadline but they didn't respond until in the early days of the second week of July.
So, be patient!
If you use a language school admission without a prior knowledge here or at least A2, your chances of getting the visa will be slim. I hope you had other options aside TUM?
my two cowries!
P.S. You can go to the main German thread to seek further advise but am sure an informed person will tell you same as above.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by sonyville(m): 9:06pm On Aug 05, 2015
Greetings oooh....
Please I want to place a fresh masters application to any school in Germany.

1. Do anyone know any school still accepting applications? If no

2. Any idea of school accepting applications for summer semester (March or April) even if the language of course is german?

3. My final Cgpa is 3.30 in 5 yr cuz (mech engr), do this meet the minimum requirement to secure admission in Germany? cuz I can't still find out why Tum munich denied me admission

Please I will need your guide on this cuz even.the Daad results is confusing.
Thanks my people my people.... Congrats to u all that have already scaled thru
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by stevemims(m): 9:11pm On Aug 05, 2015
sonyville:
Greetings oooh....

2. Any idea of school accepting applications for summer semester (March or April) even if the language of course is german?

3. My final Cgpa is 3.30 in 5 yr cuz (mech engr), do this meet the minimum requirement to secure admission in Germany? cuz I can't still find out why Tum munich denied me admission

Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by stevemims(m): 9:12pm On Aug 05, 2015
sonyville:
Greetings oooh....

Bring this to the other thread like Eke40seven advised earlier...
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by leo2314: 1:46am On Aug 20, 2015
Hi eke40seven, I already sent you an email, but this is just to let you know that I really need this infos to help me prepare for my interview. And I hope am not buggin you as it is I'm desperate to lay my hands on your material.

Best wishes! angry
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Obiwannn: 1:24pm On Sep 15, 2015
Lalasticlala, Ishilove, seun, justwise... Why didnt this make fp?
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Eke40seven(m): 7:11pm On Sep 19, 2015
Obiwannn:
Lalasticlala, Ishilove, seun, justwise...
Why didnt this make fp?
LOL.. May be because we didn't kill an anaconda or paste half naked and talentless celebrities... Or it simply skipped the mods' attention.

3 Likes

Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Obiwannn: 9:07am On Sep 20, 2015
Eke40seven:
LOL.. May be because we didn't kill an anaconda or paste half naked and talentless celebrities... Or it simply skipped the mods' attention.

I just taya oh
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by ugsams(m): 4:01am On Sep 30, 2015
This thread is not supposed to die untimely death.
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 04, 2015
ugsams:
This thread is not supposed to die untimely death.
my thoughts too
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by safer23(m): 3:44am On Oct 06, 2015
Mr Eke47,
Please, I need your step by step guide and I would really appreciate I we can communicate through email.
Ade_ade_01@hotmail.co m

Thank you, God bless you!
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by WildChild00(m): 12:32pm On Apr 20, 2016
Guten tag bruder,
I'm a prospective masters applicant to Germany, I would want to ask you so questions, I have PM you:
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by ArcFresky(m): 1:43am On Jun 18, 2016
Brother. How va Phd in architecture at TUM. What are my prospects with 3.59 n b.tech and 4.0 in mtech?. Their website is confusing
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Eke40seven(m): 3:00am On Jun 18, 2016
ArcFresky:
Brother. How va Phd in architecture at TUM. What are my prospects with 3.59 n b.tech and 4.0 in mtech?. Their website is confusing
you will have to check if offers are in English. You can reach the department or international office for clarification. That's why they are there in the first place

1 Like

Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by alabireal: 2:32pm On Feb 13, 2017
Hello sir

I really found your contributions and submissions here very educative and astonishing, it really depicts the ones from a well and vastly traveled fellow and I love that sir

I am a master's students here in France and planning to seek either a Ph.D. or another masters admission to Germany but has an issue on my mind

I will like to know the procedure of obtaining a residence permit to Germany in my case, as a person still having a valid resident permit of an EU country.

I have been to Germany on two occasions and really love the country, of course, France isn't bad but the language barrier issue here is something else and sometimes their narrow-minded perspective to life here is killing compared to Germany where I have seen people more open-minded with less complex

You feedbacks will be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by hybeenoni: 10:17pm On Feb 13, 2017
Please let's not derail this thread as it hold so much opportunity for people to get real grade A information.

Kindly take your questions and enquiry to the appropriate thread.
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by TWoods(m): 6:56am On Feb 14, 2017
Even though i got through school a while ago, i'd add a few things to the thread

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

*Ease of visa =3/5 getting tougher to get a visa but you improve your chances with admission to top tier schools with good funding offers
*Quality of Education= 5/5 I'm not sure where else you can get the same quality of education
*General Affordability = 2/5 Education is tremendously expensive here. If you don't have rich parents or were not able to secure funding, it can be a nightmare. Note that school loans are not available to international students
*Ease of Admission= 3/5 A good GPA and excellent test scores should stand you in good stead
*Quality of life as a foreign student= 4/5 Americans are generally very friendly, besides, you'll definitely find a Nigerian in practically most cities here
* Size of African/Nigerian students= 3/5 Depends on the school. Schools in smaller towns typically have fewer nigerian/african students. If that's important to you, then target bigger schools in larger cities.
*Survival/hustle= 0/5 Don't even think about it, you'll be on a plane out of the US before you know it. Being illegal here is not an experience you want to go through
*Long term benefits = 3/5 getting an H1B to work after school isn't automatic. Without it, you can't work here and will have to return home. If you can find a nice American girl to marry (a real marriage please!) then you're set for life!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by alabireal: 4:11pm On Feb 14, 2017
hybeenoni:
Please let's not derail this thread as it hold so much opportunity for people to get real grade A information.

Kindly take your questions and enquiry to the appropriate thread.

What's your problem, what I have asked that wants to kill the thread, I guess you are sick upstairs…..even in any way, do I direct my question to you...Idiot

Check out all inquiries and the adjourning questions in the thread and tell me what makes mine different…..narrow-minded bigot
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Eke40seven(m): 7:34pm On Feb 15, 2017
TWoods:
Even though i got through school a while ago, i'd add a few things to the thread

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

*Ease of visa =3/5 getting tougher to get a visa but you improve your chances with admission to top tier schools with good funding offers
*Quality of Education= 5/5 I'm not sure where else you can get the same quality of education
*General Affordability = 2/5 Education is tremendously expensive here. If you don't have rich parents or were not able to secure funding, it can be a nightmare. Note that school loans are not available to international students
*Ease of Admission= 3/5 A good GPA and excellent test scores should stand you in good stead
*Quality of life as a foreign student= 4/5 Americans are generally very friendly, besides, you'll definitely find a Nigerian in practically most cities here
* Size of African/Nigerian students= 3/5 Depends on the school. Schools in smaller towns typically have fewer nigerian/african students. If that's important to you, then target bigger schools in larger cities.
*Survival/hustle= 0/5 Don't even think about it, you'll be on a plane out of the US before you know it. Being illegal here is not an experience you want to go through
*Long term benefits = 3/5 getting an H1B to work after school isn't automatic. Without it, you can't work here and will have to return home. If you can find a nice American girl to marry (a real marriage please!) then you're set for life!

Wow! This is quite comprehensive! Great job. I wish more people could contribute.
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Evabee: 10:49pm On Jul 19, 2017
[color=#000099][/color]
[/quote]Good evening Eke40seven I'm planning on coming to germany by october, pls I'll need you to assist me with some information. My effortsin trying to chat you via email has proved abortive. Kindly reply me asap.[quote author=Eke40seven post=53745571]
Wow! This is quite comprehensive! Great job. I wish more people could contribute.
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Obidikejr(m): 2:39pm On Jan 10, 2018
Eke40seven:
Well, its weird, I will have to answer some of my own questions. Although am not in the best position to answer but let me keep the thread alive because of the immense benefits it will have for many.

FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY

*Ease of visa =3/5 Because of the blocked account/sponsorship letter
*Quality of Education= 4/5 (more than 35 of its unis are in the top 500 schools in the world)
*General Affordability = 5/5 (if you can afford to school in Nigeria, you can afford it apart from the higher cost of living of course)
*Ease of Admission= 3/5 (You can apply for an unlimited number of school to improve your chances but o'level will 98% of the time not give you Bsc admission neither will less than a 3.0/5.0 CGPA for masters)
*Quality of life as a foreign student= 4/5
* Size of African/Nigerian students= 3/5
*Survival/hustle= 4/5 (German economy is the best in Europe
*Long term benefits= 18 months for graduate job search after school; 2 years after graduate job equals an automatic permanent residence, blue chip for some profession, shengen country which gives access to more than 26 countries and easy access visa to US and Canada.

why Germany: good job policies for foreign students, English taught courses available, the economy.

is it worth the cost? More than one can imagine. Would even break even still while schooling.

If I were to choose another country, it would be Canada.

Fatherland? Home is where my heart is and my heart is where things work.

Roll in your contributions.
Can any other country beat that offer?

Guten tag Eke40seven , sorry for posting this here but I had to track your last post so I could get your much needed advice soon as I can... I have been a silent follower of your posts on the German visa threads. I nearly made it over in 2016, but due to the fact I started my application late I decided to let it go, I was in my 3rd yr in school ,now 'm in my 5th & final yr and I wish to go for my M.Tech/M.Eng in Germany soon as am done with my NYSC (2019)...

I have a few questions and would be most grateful if you can provide me with answer ...

I have a contact over who has advised, according to her own words >>>>

[/b] you might not be able to get admission immediately and it doesn’t work so easily so you might have to opt for the easiest way to get your first 1 year visa , which is, apply for a Studienkolleg once u reach B2 level in German. Here they prepare you for Uni (don’t show your degree in the embassy they won’t give you a visa. Nigerians have a bad reputation so even with admission you might have visa issues,. The Studienkolleg It’s like pre degree and you can apply to any Uni once you’re here while low key perfecting your German in the Studienkolleg and learning other things[b] <<<

1. Pls how True is that?
Is getting a masters admission that hard?
I wish to apply for a construction/Built Engineering course.. I will be graduating with a strong 2nd class upper and hopefully a 4.0 on graduation.

Is getting a visa that hard if you apply with your B.Tech amongst the documents? ...I mean withholding my B.Tech cert from the Embassy and applying as a fresher to a Studienkolleg so as to get a visa faster?

2. Averagely,..based on your knowledge of it ..how much does a Bachelor & Master's international student earn monthly for starters?... Note, I wish to apply for an M.Tech

3. What is the nature of the built/construction Industry there, as a masters student how easy getting a job in one of the built firms...

What are the job opportunities for me after graduation as I plan to pursue a PhD as soon as possible.

I have a 1 yr field work experience in building (residential/commercial) construction. And subsequent times during my 5yrs of school.

With knowledge of design softwares for:
Architectural design
Construction supervision
Project management
Project cost analysis
Structural design.

I have 2yrs (early 2020) left before I move over, so i have started a self taught German class now which I hope (by God's Grace) to diligent follow so my German will improve to atleast a B1/B2 before I begin my applications.

Danke Sher.

Anticipating your earnest reply.
Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Eke40seven(m): 2:52am On Jan 11, 2018
Obidikejr:

Guten tag Eke40seven , sorry for posting this here but I had to track your last post so I could get your much needed advice soon as I can... I have been a silent follower of your posts on the German visa threads. I nearly made it over in 2016, but due to the fact I started my application late I decided to let it go, I was in my 3rd yr in school ,now 'm in my 5th & final yr and I wish to go for my M.Tech/M.Eng in Germany soon as am done with my NYSC (2019)...

I have a few questions and would be most grateful if you can provide me with answer ...

I have a contact over who has advised, according to her own words >>>>

[/b] you might not be able to get admission immediately and it doesn’t work so easily so you might have to opt for the easiest way to get your first 1 year visa , which is, apply for a Studienkolleg once u reach B2 level in German. Here they prepare you for Uni (don’t show your degree in the embassy they won’t give you a visa. Nigerians have a bad reputation so even with admission you might have visa issues,. The Studienkolleg It’s like pre degree and you can apply to any Uni once you’re here while low key perfecting your German in the Studienkolleg and learning other things[b] <<<

1. Pls how True is that?
Is getting a masters admission that hard?
I wish to apply for a construction/Built Engineering course.. I will be graduating with a strong 2nd class upper and hopefully a 4.0 on graduation.

Is getting a visa that hard if you apply with your B.Tech amongst the documents? ...I mean withholding my B.Tech cert from the Embassy and applying as a fresher to a Studienkolleg so as to get a visa faster?

2. Averagely,..based on your knowledge of it ..how much does a Bachelor & Master's international student earn monthly for starters?... Note, I wish to apply for an M.Tech

3. What is the nature of the built/construction Industry there, as a masters student how easy getting a job in one of the built firms...

What are the job opportunities for me after graduation as I plan to pursue a PhD as soon as possible.

I have a 1 yr field work experience in building (residential/commercial) construction. And subsequent times during my 5yrs of school.

With knowledge of design softwares for:
Architectural design
Construction supervision
Project management
Project cost analysis
Structural design.

I have 2yrs (early 2020) left before I move over, so i have started a self taught German class now which I hope (by God's Grace) to diligent follow so my German will improve to atleast a B1/B2 before I begin my applications.

Danke Sher.

Anticipating your earnest reply.
I will try to answer the most important questions for now.
1.You have a Bsc you don't need SK certainly. But German is important to get jobs easily and for everyday life and survival. You apply to as many as possible, there are no guarantees, the higher you GP the better your chances

2. Earn? When I don't understand. Better German better opportunities in all sectors.
Germany have changed their laws regarding students so it's now easier for students to get visas.
3. PHD or job may be different people different opportunities, just develop your skillset especially IT and learn German.
I hope you find this useful.

1 Like

Re: Studying Abroad? Comparatively Assess Your Country Of Study by Obidikejr(m): 10:56am On Jan 12, 2018
Eke40seven:

I will try to answer the most important questions for now.
1.You have a Bsc you don't need SK certainly. But German is important to get jobs easily and for everyday life and survival. You apply to as many as possible, there are no guarantees, the higher you GP the better your chances

2. Earn? When I don't understand. Better German better opportunities in all sectors.
Germany have changed their laws regarding students so it's now easier for students to get visas.
3. PHD or job may be different people different opportunities, just develop your skillset especially IT and learn German.
I hope you find this useful.
Danke for your prompt response. Really appreciated...

1.When you say develop your skillset, The IT you meant is it Information Technology or Industrial Training?

2. The question of the built/construction will like to know what's the nature of the industry over there?

2a. How often have you seen African supervise or head construction site, as site engineers.

3. Are you in the country right now? How long have you been?

3a. Have you been able to get a part-time job? How long did it take you to get one?

4. How have you been able to manage school & work schedule?
E.g in Nigeria we still have lectures that starts 9am & ends 6pm... How do you cope?

5. What is the most sort after job in Germany? Although not necessarily the highest paid.

6. You know, I have met a few Germany Nationals online, ladies specifically, and they are really open about dating Africans... In reality,over there & based on your experience .. How open are Germany ladies towards dating African?.. And our naija girls over there, their head done cool down?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Hundreds Of Nigerians Are Relocating To Ghana / FAAN Releases Statement On Fire Incident, Assures Nigerians Of Safety / At Ikoyi Passport Office, Old Things Pass Away As Facility Leaves Applicants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.