Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,929 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

The Delta Dream - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Delta Dream (1208 Views)

Caption This Photo Of The Delta State Governor / Kidnappers Grab Son Of Secretary To The Delta State Government / Beaf: Where The Delta Igbo On Satellite Pictures.or how to collect delta bursary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Delta Dream by RedHotChic(f): 6:44am On Dec 03, 2008
Delta state has itsekiris, Urhobos, Igbos, Ijaws etc in large groups but one thing I've noticed about them is that they tell you they are from Delta and they will only tell you their tribe when you seek further information. Americans do the same. They tell you I'm from Illinois, i'm from Oklahoma but my parents are from India or even Ney York. They represent their city and town before their ethnicity.

An attitude like that will reduce ethnic tension by almost half in Nigeria. I dream of the day when an igbo man born in Sokoto will tell you he is from sokoto without going further to explain his heritage. Like Deltans do, a yoruba man born and raised in umuahia will tell you he is from Abia before explaining his ethnic heritage. A day when every Nigerian shall have an equal opportunity in whatever state they were born irrespective of ethnic or racial origin. A day when a Fulani man will successfully run and become the governor of Osun State without ethnic rancor. I have that dream.

How and when can we achieve that? when shall we adopt the Delta example?. If Deltans can do it, why cant we all?
Re: The Delta Dream by JJYOU: 6:54am On Dec 03, 2008
RedHotChic:

Delta state has itsekiris, Urhobos, Igbos, Ijaws etc in large groups but one thing I've noticed about them is that they tell you they are from Delta and they will only tell you their tribe when you seek further information. Americans do the same. They tell you I'm from Illinois, i'm from Oklahoma but my parents are from India or even Ney York. They represent their city and town before their ethnicity.

An attitude like that will reduce ethnic tension by almost half in Nigeria. I dream of the day when an igbo man born in Sokoto will tell you he is from sokoto without going further to explain his heritage. Like Deltans do, a yoruba man born and raised in umuahia will tell you he is from Abia before explaining his ethnic heritage. A day when every Nigerian shall have an equal opportunity in whatever state they were born irrespective of ethnic or racial origin. A day when a Fulani man will successfully run and become the governor of Osun State without ethnic rancor. I have that dream.

How and when can we achieve that? when shall we adopt the Delta example?. If Deltans can do it, why can't we all?
you
Re: The Delta Dream by OgidiBoy(m): 6:58am On Dec 03, 2008
An Igbo person claiming sokoto of all places wow!!! Noting wrong with sokoto but come on.
Re: The Delta Dream by PastorPLC: 6:59am On Dec 03, 2008
@Post,

It aint going to work.  It will continue to be a dream to you.  I have studied Nigeria and it's "tribe first and Nigeria later" in our blood and it will continue to flow in our vein.  Any person trying to tell you that your dream will come to pass in nigeria is only deceiving himself.

It is also my dream to see that happen but the truth is that, it aint going to work in Nigeria. 

Delta State is a different thing because they believe saying they are from Delta State will easily let you know where they come from.  Many Nigerians don't know if Iitsekiris, Urhobos, Igbos or Ijaws is in Delta State and some never heard of Itsekiri, Urhobo before.  So, if Itsekiri or Urhobo man says he is from Itsekiri, you may be thinking that may be a community in the North.

You can see the reason they prefer to go for Delta State.
Re: The Delta Dream by PastorPLC: 7:16am On Dec 03, 2008
Why it cannot work again.  Culture differ.  So, you can expect a Jew to tell you he is from Arab or Arab guy to tell you he is from a jewish State. No, it is impossible.
Re: The Delta Dream by udezue(m): 7:37am On Dec 03, 2008
lol Itsekiri Ijaw Urhobo dey fight and kill each other and don't even like Igbo Deltans so biko I don't see why anyone should look up to Deltans.
Re: The Delta Dream by RedHotChic(f): 7:41am On Dec 03, 2008
@Post,

It aint going to work. It will continue to be a dream to you. I have studied Nigeria and it's "tribe first and Nigeria later" in our blood and it will continue to flow in our vein. Any person trying to tell you that your dream will come to pass in nigeria is only deceiving himself.

Same the said about Obama.

It is also my dream to see that happen but the truth is that, it aint going to work in Nigeria.
You never can tell whats gonna happen in the next 30 years.

Delta State is a different thing because they believe saying they are from Delta State will easily let you know where they come from. Many Nigerians don't know if Iitsekiris, Urhobos, Igbos or Ijaws is in Delta State and some never heard of Itsekiri, Urhobo before. So, if Itsekiri or Urhobo man says he is from Itsekiri, you may be thinking that may be a community in the North.
Thats a lie. Ijaw is pretty popular for sure.
You can see the reason they prefer to go for Delta State.
They prefer to use Delta because they see themselves as Delta indigenes first before their tribe.
Re: The Delta Dream by RedHotChic(f): 7:41am On Dec 03, 2008
you are a dreamer keep on dreaming. it would never happen in nigeria,
Oh ye of little faith. I have a dream.
Re: The Delta Dream by RedHotChic(f): 7:44am On Dec 03, 2008
lol Itsekiri Ijaw Urhobo dey fight and kill each other and don't even like Igbo Deltans so biko I don't see why anyone should look up to Deltans.
Are the yorubas not fighting each other?. Are the igbos not fighting each other?
Re: The Delta Dream by arramyjay: 7:46am On Dec 03, 2008
I hope it will come to pass.
Re: The Delta Dream by udezue(m): 7:52am On Dec 03, 2008
RedHotic

okay true even Igbo Yoruba get issues so do Deltans so why are u telling me to look up to Deltans when I know I can't win election in Delta coz I am Igbo. Why are Urhobo ppl even Ijaw still mad as hell that Asaba be capital not Warri? To them Asaba no be core Delta yet I'm supposed to look up to them coz they say Deltaaaaa. Were they saying Deltaaaa when Itsekiri were fighting Ijaw vs Urhobo?
Re: The Delta Dream by hollandis(f): 8:49am On Dec 03, 2008
I will blame Ibori ,obasanjo and many ethnic leaders in Delata.I am a true deltan ,son of the soil.In event after event ,the sad picture of a state under siege .The people are helpless in the face of this relentless onslaught as it is repeated with disgusting monotony. The Genesis of such clashes are very trivial and could have other wise been settled. Truth is there is no basis for ethnic clashes in Delta. The Political and ethnic leaders are seriously benefitting from this communal clashes.
Sometimes I wonder if there is God in Nigeria
Re: The Delta Dream by Muza(m): 9:17am On Dec 03, 2008
RedHotChic:

Are the yorubas not fighting each other?. Are the igbos not fighting each other?

Its only the hausas that are not killing each other grin
Re: The Delta Dream by RedHotChic(f): 9:22am On Dec 03, 2008
I hope it will come to pass.

Trust me, it shall come to pass.
Re: The Delta Dream by JJYOU: 1:58pm On Dec 03, 2008
udezue:

RedHotic

okay true even Igbo Yoruba get issues so do Deltans so why are u telling me to look up to Deltans when I know I can't win election in Delta because I am Igbo. Why are Urhobo people even Ijaw still mad as hell that Asaba be capital not Warri? To them Asaba no be core Delta yet I'm supposed to look up to them because they say Deltaaaaa. Were they saying Deltaaaa when Itsekiri were fighting Ijaw vs Urhobo?
why should asaba at the extreme end of border with onitsha be capital of delta. where do most indegenes of asaba do business or spend their money? dont you see the injustice done there? it is these tribal injustice that causes naija wahala.
hollandis:

I will blame Ibori ,obasanjo and many ethnic leaders in Delata.I am a true deltan ,son of the soil.In event after event ,the sad picture of a state under siege .
Sometimes I wonder if there is God in Nigeria

if God was not showing mercy on naija we would have been worse than comgo or somalia. there are too many myopic people in naija who dont care about the consequences of their actions
Re: The Delta Dream by BADLEE: 11:53pm On Dec 03, 2008
REdHOtCHIc

atimes i see you like a big fool, you are asking of what may happen in the next thirty years, now tell me what has happened in the past thirty years, ?
Re: The Delta Dream by RedHotChic(f): 12:48am On Dec 04, 2008
REdHOtCHIc

atimes i see you like a big fool, you are asking of what may happen in the next thirty years, now tell me what has happened in the past thirty years, ?

Forget the past for it's gone and work towards a better future.

(1) (Reply)

Credible Election: Don’t Trust Jonathan • Ibb Is Finished -pastor Tunde Bakare / Would The World Be A Better Place If Women Rule Every Affair? / Niger Delta Amnesty Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.