Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? (7229 Views)

The Agony Of Monogamy- By Tola Adeniyi / Men What Would You Do If Your Wife Tells You She Wants To Practice Polyandry???? / A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by LordReed(m): 2:47pm On Dec 06, 2014
If Nigeria allowed polygamy and polyandry, would people end up monogamous because men would be jealous of their cohusbands and women of their cowives?
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by Infomizer(m): 3:12pm On Dec 06, 2014
No. But did Nigeria disallow them in the first place?
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by LordReed(m): 3:46pm On Dec 06, 2014
Infomizer:
No. But did Nigeria disallow them in the first place?

Nigeria's civil laws do not currently recognize polyandry or polygamy as legal.
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by mutter(f): 3:54pm On Dec 06, 2014
Nigerian Laws recognize polygamy as legal.

What is against the law is to have a civil marriage and then go ahead to have a customary one. But that law is a dead law. also Sharia law allows for polygamy.

At the same time the constitution makes all children legitimate. So even if a man goes ahead to have a customary marriage after a civil one the children or the customary marriage are legitimate.

Polygamy is a part of our culture and As much as no woman wants to share her husband sometimes sharing can be better than being abandoned.

2 Likes

Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by Infomizer(m): 3:58pm On Dec 06, 2014
LordReed:

Nigeria's civil laws do not currently recognize polyandry or polygamy as legal.
Really? That's the first time I'm hearing that. Not a law aficionado anyway, but imma try and confirm.
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by LordReed(m): 4:46pm On Dec 06, 2014
mutter:

What is against the law is to have a civil marriage and then go ahead to have a customary one. But that law is a dead law. also Sharia law allows for polygamy.

At the same time the constitution makes all children legitimate. So even if a man goes ahead to have a customary marriage after a civil one the children or the customary marriage are legitimate.

Polygamy is a part of our culture and As much as no woman wants to share her husband sometimes sharing can be better than being abandoned.

As I wrote under civil law, the recognition is under customary law which is different. Same with Sharia law which recognizes it and is different as well.

1 Like

Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by mutter(f): 5:28pm On Dec 06, 2014
Sorry no mention of the civil law above. Besides civil law is not necessarily superior to customary and sharia law.
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by LordReed(m): 6:39pm On Dec 06, 2014
mutter:
Sorry no mention of the civil law above. Besides civil law is not necessarily superior to customary and sharia law.

It is not but most of the marriages contracted today are done under civil law. Most people will not contemplate marrying under customary law because it is not as well understood as civil law and civil law seems to cater to our modern society better than customary laws.
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by EfemenaXY: 4:21am On Dec 07, 2014
mutter: As much as no woman wants to share her husband sometimes sharing can be better than being abandoned.

Oh really?

Probably for women with zero self-esteem and no independent source of personal income.

5 Likes

Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by cococandy(f): 5:56am On Dec 07, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Oh really?

Probably for women with zero self-esteem and no independent source of personal income.
person go run for that WOMAN for this nairaland grin
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by SAMBARRY: 10:39am On Dec 07, 2014
cococandy:
person go run for that WOMAN for this nairaland grin
grin
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by bukatyne(f): 3:00pm On Dec 07, 2014
mutter:

I doubt it

Again, it depends on the woman in question. Not All women are totally dependent and cannot survive outside their husbands.

Some women decide to abandon the polygamous man instead.

Not All women are helpless as nollywood potrays

1 Like

Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by mutter(f): 4:20pm On Dec 07, 2014
bukatyne:

I doubt it
Again, it depends on the woman in question. Not All women are totally dependent and cannot survive outside their husbands.
Some women decide to abandon the polygamous man instead.
Not All women are helpless as nollywood potrays

So in other words the predominant view of the young ladies here is that a woman that is financially independent can afford to leave her husband.

In order words the main substance of a marriage is financial and once you are financially independent marriage no longer has much meaning?

Have you ever considered that a woman may just love her husband so much that she would be prepared to tolerate a second wife just so that she can still be with the man she loves.
I know so many women women who remain in the marriage because the love their husbands and would feel empty without him.

3 Likes

Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by HFOG(f): 4:30pm On Dec 07, 2014
mutter:

So in other words the predominant view of the young ladies here is that a woman that is financially independent can afford to leave her husband.

In order words the main substance of a marriage is financial and once you are financially independent marriage no longer has much meaning?

Have you ever considered that a woman may just love her husband so much that she would be prepared to tolerate a second wife just so that she can still be with the man she loves.
I know so many women women who remain in the marriage because the love their husbands and would feel empty without him.
One man's food is another man's....(complete for me)
Btw, happt Sunday, ma'am.

1 Like

Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by bukatyne(f): 4:53pm On Dec 07, 2014
mutter:

Nobody has said the substance or meaning of a marriage is money else many financially balanced women would not get married

Been financially empowered however gives a woman a choice to walk out when necessary.

I love my husband so much much BUT I will give him the space he desires if he ever decides to marry a second wife.

If other women can compromise that, I cannot.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by LordReed(m): 4:58pm On Dec 07, 2014
bukatyne:

Nobody has said the substance or meaning of a marriage is money else many financially balanced women would not get married

Been financially empowered however gives a woman a choice to walk out when necessary.

I love my husband so much much BUT I will give him the space he desires if he ever decides to marry a second wife.

Thanks

Would you consider Polyandry for any reason?
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by Alephilomath: 4:59pm On Dec 07, 2014
mutter:

You make sense.

Your third sentence: do that also apply to the male gender??
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by bukatyne(f): 5:01pm On Dec 07, 2014
LordReed:

Marry more than 1 husband?
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by LordReed(m): 5:02pm On Dec 07, 2014
bukatyne:

Marry more than 1 husband?

Yes.
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by mutter(f): 5:04pm On Dec 07, 2014
HFOG:

One man's food is another man's....(complete for me)
Btw, happy Sunday, ma'am.

Happy sunday and a blessed second advent!

This is one of the biggest nightmares any woman dreads. When you are young and rebellious you feel that way but as one gets older and the responsibilities increase, you learn to see things differently and sometimes react differently, you learn how to adjust yourself and have also some other priorities.
I don`t support it but I just have seem too many friends and people I know go that way. Many of the young guess from then now have two three wives and the young girls that where spitting fire then are accommodating it now.

By the way this thread got me thinking again and I asked my Schatz if he would contemplate it since quite a few of his friends have more than one wife now.
He told me he had enough stress with me! And that most of his friends are in hell no because it does not really work out these days.

1 Like

Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by bukatyne(f): 5:05pm On Dec 07, 2014
LordReed:

Yes.

LOL!

This should win the award of 'question of the century'

Polyandry ke?

You did not ask if I could have extramarital affairs, it is marriage you are asking me about!

Hahaha!

On a second thought, do you want to be my second husband? wink
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by HFOG(f): 5:07pm On Dec 07, 2014
mutter:

Happy sunday and a blessed second advent!

This is one of the biggest nightmares any woman dreads. When you are young and rebellious you feel that way but as one gets older and the responsibilities increase, you learn to see things differently and sometimes react differently, you learn how to adjust yourself and have also some other priorities.
I don`t support it but I just have seem to many friends and people I know go that way. Many of the young gus from then now have two three wives and the young girls that where spitting fire then are accomodating it now.

By the way this thread got me thinking again and I asked my Schatz if he would contemplate it since quite a ffew of his friends have more than one wife now.
He told me he had enough stress with me! And that most of his frineds are in hell no because it does not really work out these days.
Hmm. You're worded oh. See the looong essay you use reply my short statement. No bi small thing o. Me is suspecting you're a lawyer abi how do I explain your lengthy write-ups
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by HFOG(f): 5:08pm On Dec 07, 2014
LordReed:

See JAMB question
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by HFOG(f): 5:11pm On Dec 07, 2014
bukatyne:

Come again? That's my big brother you're talking to oh. Pls we're not polygamous where we come from
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by LordReed(m): 5:11pm On Dec 07, 2014
bukatyne:

LOL!

This should win the award of 'question of the century'

Polyandry ke?

You did not ask if I could have extramarital affairs, it is marriage you are asking me about!

Hahaha!

Well if it was legal then you at least have no constraints in considering it.

If it was legal...you never know.... wink
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by LordReed(m): 5:13pm On Dec 07, 2014
HFOG:

See JAMB question

O ya, answer. If Government approves of polyandry you go gree for more husband?
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by HFOG(f): 5:15pm On Dec 07, 2014
bukatyne:

Thanks
Hmm. Me share same views with you ma'am. Just that life and the experiences of others makes us a little sober and less emphatic when we discuss these issues. We only pray for His grace and mercy to keep us from evil and keep evil away from us.
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by bukatyne(f): 5:17pm On Dec 07, 2014
LordReed:

Well if it was legal then you at least have no constraints in considering it.

If it was legal...you never know.... wink

Whether legal or not,

I am satisfied with my baby kiss kiss kiss
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by bukatyne(f): 5:18pm On Dec 07, 2014
HFOG:

Come again? That's my big brother you're talking to oh. Pls we're not polygamous where we come from

Sis,

Your brother was asking me leading kwestions o!
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by bukatyne(f): 5:19pm On Dec 07, 2014
HFOG:

Hmm. Me share same views with you ma'am. Just that life and the experiences of others makes us a little sober and less emphatic when we discuss these issues. We only pray for His grace and mercy to keep us from evil and keep evil away from us.

Amen

1 Like

Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by HFOG(f): 5:26pm On Dec 07, 2014
bukatyne:

Sis,

Your brother was asking me leading kwestions o!
My dear, the question fear me sef.
Re: Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? by HFOG(f): 5:28pm On Dec 07, 2014
LordReed:

O ya, answer. If Government approves of polyandry you go gree for more husband?
Na government laws we dey live by?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? / I Divorced My Nigerian Husband / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.