Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

The Origin Of Religion In My Opinion. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Origin Of Religion In My Opinion. (795 Views)

"What Is The Origin Of The Catholic Church?" / The Fastest Growing Religion In The World - Christianity Or Islam ? / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origin Of Religion In My Opinion. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 06, 2014
Over 70% of the world population believe in a supernatural entity greater than they are. What could be the cause of these. What pushes a man to create a god for himself considering the fact that we have So many gods, definitely gods are product of men.

It all boils down to the way we are,the way nature has shaped us,if being religious doesn't have survival advantage ,then we won't have much religious people now. Natural selection is an established scientific FACT whether you like it or not,confirmed by multiple experiments and it still continues to manifest itself in our environment, in fact people make use of the idea behind natural selection to make breeds of animal with desirous traits such as the super cow,in fact it's through the idea of natural selection and descent with modification that man was able to breed different dog breeds from the great wolves.

How does this apply to our discussion, Yes it does. I believe there was a time millions of years ago when some men(of the homo genus) weren't naturally inclined to creating a deity,where man felt he doesn't need any god to worship,this sort of men lived according to their own beliefs,they were unpredictable, they had not rules to guide their activities, being non religious people,and this trait didn't have survival advantage, So they soon became extinct, people with those trait,or Lets just say the traits comes in varying degrees where those with higher degrees of not being religious were extinct, than those with lesser degree of not being religious survived and passed the religious trait down the generation.

How do I know not being religious doesn't have survival advantage. In hunting,for hunters to survive they had to be Co operative ,they had to have rules that they strictly obeyed, those are the hunters that survived,majority of the occupation then was hunting. The non religious hunters did as they liked because they didn't believe in rules, they had no dogma,that made them unsuccessful hunters, So nature gradually discarded them,hunters who don't work together are likely to get killed by the sabred toothed tiger.

Now take a look at the situation, hunters who are Co operative among themselves are likely to be religious in nature,the have common goals,common beliefs,they act in similar ways, in fact in other to make their hunting techniques stand the test of time, they had to establish some laid down rules that every hunter must follow,this can be seen as a religion, they had to have some taboos, in fact to make their rules more feared and respected they had to claim the rules were given by a superior entity,leading to the creation of the first deity.

Viola. Religion was begotten.

I stand to be corrected. Share your opinion, I want to learn from you, how do you think religion started?
Re: The Origin Of Religion In My Opinion. by asalimpo(m): 8:48pm On Dec 06, 2014
You atheists and your tired old arguments. I cud search this board and come up with a thread as similar written a few years ago!
Is it like you cant pass d day without thinking of God?
So you gatta attack the thoughts by writng a lullaby to ur hell-bound souls?

Happy weekend bro.
Re: The Origin Of Religion In My Opinion. by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 06, 2014
asalimpo:
You atheists and your tired old arguments. I cud search this board and come up with a thread as similar written a few years ago!
Is it like you cant pass d day without thinking of God?
So you gatta attack the thoughts by writng a lullaby to ur hell-bound souls?

Happy weekend bro.

Ohhh you are that dude that claims con artists tricks are super Natural, hahaha I wonder how you would be acting while watching magic tricks performed right at your face,you would say they are demon possessed. I can perform some tricks for you, So you can call me angel Gabriel incarnate. Haha
Re: The Origin Of Religion In My Opinion. by plaetton: 9:19pm On Dec 06, 2014
Dapo777:
Over 70% of the world population believe in a supernatural entity greater than they are. What could be the cause of these. What pushes a man to create a god for himself considering the fact that we have So many gods, definitely gods are product of men.

It all boils down to the way we are,the way nature has shaped us,if being religious doesn't have survival advantage ,then we won't have much religious people now. Natural selection is an established scientific FACT whether you like it or not,confirmed by multiple experiments and it still continues to manifest itself in our environment, in fact people make use of the idea behind natural selection to make breeds of animal with desirous traits such as the super cow,in fact it's through the idea of natural selection and descent with modification that man was able to breed different dog breeds from the great wolves.

How does this apply to our discussion, Yes it does. I believe there was a time millions of years ago when some men(of the homo genus) weren't naturally inclined to creating a deity,where man felt he doesn't need any god to worship,this sort of men lived according to their own beliefs,they were unpredictable, they had not rules to guide their activities, being non religious people,and this trait didn't have survival advantage, So they soon became extinct, people with those trait,or Lets just say the traits comes in varying degrees where those with higher degrees of not being religious were extinct, than those with lesser degree of not being religious survived and passed the religious trait down the generation.

How do I know not being religious doesn't have survival advantage. In hunting,for hunters to survive they had to be Co operative ,they had to have rules that they strictly obeyed, those are the hunters that survived,majority of the occupation then was hunting. The non religious hunters did as they liked because they didn't believe in rules, they had no dogma,that made them unsuccessful hunters, So nature gradually discarded them,hunters who don't work together are likely to get killed by the sabred toothed tiger.

Now take a look at the situation, hunters who are Co operative among themselves are likely to be religious in nature,the have common goals,common beliefs,they act in similar ways, in fact in other to make their hunting techniques stand the test of time, they had to establish some laid down rules that every hunter must follow,this can be seen as a religion, they had to have some taboos, in fact to make their rules more feared and respected they had to claim the rules were given by a superior entity,leading to the creation of the first deity.

Viola. Religion was begotten.

I stand to be corrected. Share your opinion, I want to learn from you, how do you think religion started?

Actually sir, studies in anthropology shows that diversity is far more advantageous to progress and survival than a monoculture of attitudes and beliefs.
Populations stagnate when everyone believes the same, thinks the same and is expected to do the same .

For example: The early European puritan settlers in America isolated themselves in communes, where they co-owned and shared everything , including land , labor and crops. Well, they stagnated and nearly perished out of starvation and lack of any fulfilment until, they opened they communes to outsiders and allowed private ownership of land so that everyone was allowed the freedom to fend for themselves.

We can also make the case that sub-sahara Africa remained uncivilized for a very long time because there was little or not connect with outside world to interrupt the rigid social systems that did not allow anyone to think outside the box.
Re: The Origin Of Religion In My Opinion. by asalimpo(m): 9:40pm On Dec 06, 2014
Dapo777:

Ohhh you are that dude that claims con artists tricks are super Natural, hahaha I wonder how you would be acting while watching magic tricks performed right at your face,you would say they are demon possessed. I can perform some tricks for you, So you can call me angel Gabriel incarnate. Haha

yeah,i'm d guy.
Unlike you and your ilks who wear blinders, i know wen to admit that a phenomenom is para normal istead of blindly try to shoe horn it into some meaningless physcal logical mould tht it doesnt fit into.

Fyi, if tht guys story is true, his money was stolen thru spiritual means. But being an atheist you hav vested incentive for denying the obvious: it will bring down ur house of cards.
Re: The Origin Of Religion In My Opinion. by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 06, 2014
asalimpo:

yeah,i'm d guy.
Unlike you and your ilks who wear blinders, i know wen to admit that a phenomenom is para normal istead of blindly try to shoe horn it into some meaningless physcal logical mould tht it doesnt fit into.

Fyi, if tht guys story is true, his money was stolen thru spiritual means. But being an atheist you hav vested incentive for denying the obvious: it will bring down ur house of cards.

Haha, anything that doesn't have an explanation to you,then it must be spiritual,no enquiry must be made,just say the devil is involved or GOD did it, I like your logic. Your head is there.
Re: The Origin Of Religion In My Opinion. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 06, 2014
plaetton:

Actually sir, studies in anthropology shows that diversity is far more advantageous to progress and survival than a monoculture of attitudes and beliefs.
Populations stagnate when everyone believes the same, thinks the same and is expected to do the same .

For example: The early European puritan settlers in America isolated themselves in communes, where they co-owned and shared everything , including land , labor and crops. Well, they stagnated and nearly perished out of starvation and lack of any fulfilment until, they opened they communes to outsiders and allowed private ownership of land so that everyone was allowed the freedom to fend for themselves.

We can also make the case that sub-sahara Africa remained uncivilized for a very long time because there was little or not connect with outside world to interrupt the rigid social systems that did not allow anyone to think outside the box.

I am talking about Co operation Which is different from migration tendency and diversity, people could be diverse and still have similar beliefs and taboo in my opinion

(1) (Reply)

Christians: Is Playing 'who Wants To Be A Millionaire' T. V Game Show Gambling / The Anointing And The Anointed / Was My Action Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.