Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Best Videos Website In My Country - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Best Videos Website In My Country (988 Views)

CREATE THE BEST VIDEOS AND GRAPHIC IMPRESSIONS NOW!!! / Where Can I Check My Google Rank Based On My Country(nigeria) / Cost of Developing a Website in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Videos Website In My Country by bukavu(m): 2:59pm On Dec 03, 2008
Hello every one

I am not very good but i am glad i've built the best videos website in my country (the DR Congo), i have checked.

I know nigerian have got far better websites i just want to ask your views on the website.

Its built with joomla and the seyret component, most videos are locked for registered members only and are videos of 45 minutes to 2 hours long.

My naira webmasters what do you think, www.congovideos.com

Holla
Re: Best Videos Website In My Country by yawatide(f): 3:45pm On Dec 03, 2008
Why? So you can lift stuff from there and use it to improve yours?  tongue

Anyways, you might want to try http://www.viewnaija.com/

1 thing about your site (and I say this with a very, very independent mind):

1) It runs slow.  I am afraid for those who will open it at a cybercafe with a slow connection.  Joomla! is already a slow CMS and those videos are making it even slower.  I personally think Joomla! for a site like this is overkill but I could be wrong.
Re: Best Videos Website In My Country by bukavu(m): 5:00pm On Dec 03, 2008
Why? So you can lift stuff from there and use it to improve yours?

Is there anything wrong improving your website from the best, i call it inspiration

Anyways, you might want to try http://www.viewnaija.com/

I didn't ask to compare websites, just wanted your views on improving or changing mine which you gave me somehow

Here
It runs slow. I am afraid for those who will open it at a cybercafe with a slow connection. Joomla! is already a slow CMS and those videos are making it even slower. I personally think Joomla! for a site like this is overkill but I could be wrong.

I forgot to tell you that the website is intended for people from Congo living in USA, Canada, Europe and UK where the internet is fast like hell, I put my videos on 400kbps which is not possible to watch in a congolese internet café with a 128kbps and no one complains,

Otherwise, thank you for your point of views, letting you know that the front page is full of thumbnails not videos
Re: Best Videos Website In My Country by yawatide(f): 5:24pm On Dec 03, 2008
I know I haven't had my cafe au lait yet but I am pretty sure your original post (that is, before u modified it grin) said something about asking if there were any Nigerian video sites that we are aware of so you could check them out.  Maybe not in those exact words but something close.  If not, why did you respond to the "so you can lift" statement below?
Is there anything wrong improving your website from the best, i call it inspiration

Again, I know I haven't had my cafe au lait yet but I am pretty sure you have modified your original post wink

Per your thumbnails comment, yes I know you have thumbnails and not actual videos on the main page.  Having said that, at some point, I will have to click either the flash movie or the thumbnails so that I can be taken to a page with the actual video right? wink

By the way, I am in the states and the site did take more than a few seconds to load (I have DSL at home and a T1 connection at work).  In fact, a website analyzer has this to say about the home page of your site:

Total HTTP Requests: 98
Total Size: 804224 bytes

-----

14.4K  642.91 seconds
28.8K 331.26 seconds
33.6K 286.73 seconds
56K 179.88 seconds
ISDN 128K 68.69 seconds
T1 1.44Mbps 23.86 seconds

Focus on the bolded portions only, assuming every one of your target audience has "super fast" connections

-----------

Largest file: http://www.congovideos.com/images/banners/pub-lafontaine600.gif
size: 393KB

so you see mon frere de la republique, that I am being as independent minded as possible.  I hope that you at least see it that way.  I have the best of interests of both you and your site at heart, trust me  cool

By the way, when you say no one complains, what's the criteria? how many people have you heard back from? what percentage does that boil down to with respect to your customer base? Even delta.com has at least 5 complaints a week. Trust me, I know wink
Re: Best Videos Website In My Country by bukavu(m): 5:50pm On Dec 03, 2008
Hello

Responding to my thread shows something positive, I didn't complain

I am new in this forum and in my post I started by saying "i'm not very good"

My first post has not been changed, I thought forums usually show when a post have been edited, I don't know about this one but I haven't changed mine.

Your analysis of my frontpage is good, I will look into it and try to change whatever I can, thank you.

As complaints goes, my audience is happy, and delta.com is,  ok, lets cut it there, thank you for your advices ma soeur de States

PS: how did u get the analysis about the speed on my website, i'd like to check it too
Re: Best Videos Website In My Country by yawatide(f): 6:36pm On Dec 03, 2008
I am new in this forum and in my post I started by saying "i'm not very good"
You are.  Custmozing Joomla! is not a task for the faint-hearted.  A little busting of balls doesn't hurt anyone  tongue

My first post has not been changed, I thought forums usually show when a post have been edited,
Not this one, or at least, if it does, I am not aware.  Moderator?

As complaints goes, my audience is happy, and delta.com is,  ok, lets cut it there, thank you for your advices ma soeur de States
As long as you know this for a fact, it's all good.  Per advice, thanks.  But don't you mean to say "etats" and not "states"?  tongue

PS: how did u get the analysis about the speed on my website, i'd like to check it too
Sure: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/ - just enter your url and let the site do the rest.

a bientot!
Re: Best Videos Website In My Country by otoidea(m): 12:16pm On Dec 05, 2008
Re: Best Videos Website In My Country by yawatide(f): 12:36pm On Dec 05, 2008
oto,

IMHO I would prefer your site to the viewnaija site *if and only if* they could find a way to arrange the "recently added videos" such that I don't have to scroll ad infinitum. I hate that.

(1) (Reply)

Please Review My Site / Facebook, Twitter And Linkedin.who Rules? / Can I Use Php With Ms Sql Database?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.