Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,600 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:04 PM

Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? (14521 Views)

Naira Vs Dollar. Oil Prices Not The Problem, Stupidity Is. / Nigeria Naira Vs. Ghana Cedi / The Naira Vs Dollar Xchange Rate! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by BAC: 4:55pm On Jan 09, 2009
Guys did you see what happened to the Naira today. The CBN does not want to tell how far they want naira to fall. Guess what, it is a happy day to me. We have been enjoying our pounds between 230-260 for a long time.Imagine trading my almighty ££££ for N170 - N190. Very bad. It has been a sad story for about some months now. But its tme to do business,

I am coming to Nigeria loaded , My prediction is 1$ to N170.

Although I am losing asset value in Nigeria, but who cares. I am born to invest , let my children sell if they want.

Anyone knows what the £-N is on the "white" market today. (Black is a negative word), Haaa by brethren don't presecute me, I don't mean Black as in skin color.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by Thadude(m): 1:07pm On Jan 10, 2009
Yeah your right!, its a good time for holders of hard currency particularly the $$
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by BAC: 11:14am On Jan 13, 2009
What is the rate of Naira to £ today on the White Market,

help
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by food4tot: 8:28pm On Jan 13, 2009
The law of demand and supply is a very basic one.
The Nigerian government needs to know how to control the Naira in the market.

Too much Naira and its value is lost.

A percentage of the Nigerian Naira is imported because the CBN demand is higher than the installed capacity of the Mint. However, the Mint produces a greater percentage of the Naira in circulation.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by Bishop(m): 10:48pm On Jan 13, 2009
Now225 naira to GBP and 165 naira to USD.I hope the fall of the naira is not an ongoing process
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by KnowAll(m): 3:43pm On Jan 14, 2009
CBN is providing 90% of foreign exchange requirements the country needs so to counter such trend they allow the Naira to drop in value in other allow Nigerians in diaspora and foreing investors to fill the gap that is what is happening. When the pound was exchanging for 250 to 1, there was a lot of ££s sent to the country, when the ££ dropped to 170 western union transactions reduced drastically.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by damola1: 9:07am On Jan 15, 2009
The £ fell, because it's weak against other currencies, that's general and still is.

However, the Free fall of the Naira is totally unreasonable, over 40% loss in value. I mean that means everything imported is: 40% more, and tell me what's not imported, and there's no sign it's stopping.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by ohaechesi(m): 12:17pm On Jan 15, 2009
the rate in which naira is depreciating gets me curious. I can't believe it but its true
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by kings4ril(m): 1:14pm On Jan 15, 2009
the naira depreciation is unbelievable, if the CNN govnor was allow to carry on his project on devaluation of Naira the current Naira depreciation would not have affected the Naira this is bad. though the CNN of Governor is doing his best.

hello everyone, to those who can afford 1.250 million Naira, (petdrill development company limited) is offering a private placement 700,000,000 unit of ordinary shares of 1 naira each at 125 naira per shares, and it is projected that, in the next five year 1.250 million naira will be 142 million naira.
contact aims asset management financial adviser .

Kingsley ndifon: on 08082053517 for more information.
thank you.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by BAC: 2:36pm On Jan 15, 2009
1.2 million to make 142 million Naira in 5 years, yeh right. I hate that type of returns,
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by damola1: 2:39pm On Jan 15, 2009
What will happen to the Naira eventually?

It's 165 to $1 yesterday
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by sherrylo: 3:40pm On Jan 15, 2009
N165 to $1? there is trouble!
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by damola1: 4:06pm On Jan 15, 2009
Big big trouble,

No one says they shouldn't eat all the oil money, but must they drag us into their mess, I mean they loot all the millions, why can't they just maintain the economy!!!!
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by BAC: 6:08pm On Jan 15, 2009
Damola,

nothing to do with the thiefs, don't blame them this time, they themself have been hit on this one. It is all to do with the forces of demand and supply. Nigeria relies too much on her oil wells, now oil is fallen, . Last year I brought a litre of Petrol in London for £1.19p now I am buying for £0.84p what a happyday.
How are the mighty fallen, It is about time people go back to the village and do some farming.
(sorry if that offends) grin
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by brauneyes: 6:18pm On Jan 15, 2009
Any one know of today?
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by damola1: 6:45pm On Jan 15, 2009
It's 159 as at today.

Meanwhile it's the fault of the crooked politians.

The extra dough they made from the oil when it's blazing high could have been used to block the difference now, I mean, petrol is still N70/litre in here.

So really, they simply chop chop chop it all, and it's getting worse,

Going back to the village to farm is not a bad idea, actually will earn you some internation USD,
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by sunboy(m): 12:05am On Jan 16, 2009
Its now 155/$ since yesterday.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by stkris(m): 3:30am On Jan 16, 2009
the rate as of this moment is 150NGN/$ .
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by loma(m): 3:31am On Jan 16, 2009
From Black Market?
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by TPS360: 4:49am On Jan 16, 2009
pop em' dollars people, hmm , ,, pop em' kobo's, grin
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by fyneguy: 9:13am On Jan 16, 2009
$1= N175 now, Oluwa gba wa oooooooooooooooo
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by graciella(f): 1:37pm On Jan 16, 2009
I THINK NA THAT FOREX ABI FOREST OR WETIN UNA DEY CALL AM WEY START THIS THING.

MAKE DEM STOP FOREX FIRST
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by Fhemmmy: 2:21pm On Jan 16, 2009
graciella:

I THINK NA THAT FOREX ABI FOREST OR WETIN UNA DEY CALL AM WEY START THIS THING.

MAKE DEM STOP FOREX FIRST

This has nothing to do with forex, Nigeria is a Nation that is respected in the world cos of their Oil and now that Oil is tumbling and we only consume other stuff that is made by other nations, so Nigeria is in big trouble, except they are able to export other stuff to outweighs all the imports.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by 9japple(m): 2:26pm On Jan 16, 2009
hi forex rave is gradually dying down so try this offer
POOR means: P
:passing O:over O:opportunities R:repeatedly!. call 08068429492 for free testimonials of people who have succeeded using this internet robot
if you cant wait to the end of this post to start earning CALL 08068429492 for the package at once!!
But for the patient and prudent one reading this post,i mean you,yes you,here is the info free of charge
This package helped make 50000 naira in 4 days, over and over again!
All you need is a bank account,e-mail address,ability to follow the easy steps in this manual and LIFE to enjoy your money pay 4000 naira only into the following account
name:amazino robinson

number:126 1010015175; bank :at any skye bank branch nationwide
scan your teller to waywitwurdz@yahoo.com.

call 08068429492 for free details or waywitwurdz@yahoo.com but if you cant wait, its a tool which transforms your handset from call receiver to cash receiver! follow the steps in the set up and start making thousands of nairs weekly!to receive this underpriced manual simply pay 4000 naira only into the following account:
number:126 1010015175; bank :any skye bank branch nationwide
call 08068429492 to notify me of the payment and you receive your package that very hour! remember, POOR means: P
:passing O:over O:opportunities R:repeatedly!. call 08068429492 for free testimonials of people who have succeeded using this internet robot
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by vanducci(m): 2:27pm On Jan 16, 2009
see I kinna understand the CBN is on it as its seen as a result of low forex earnins against a hi demand on the home front.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by damola1: 2:29pm On Jan 16, 2009
A very high demand my friend. It's even scarce
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by BAC: 2:50pm On Jan 16, 2009
End of last year on this tread I predicted N175 to $1. I was a bit optimistic but Now that we have hit the $175. Would this stop now or not, Only God knows. Any one out there please update us with £ from the white market.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by 9ijaprince(m): 3:52pm On Jan 16, 2009
9japple:

hi forex rave is gradually dying down so try this offer
POOR means: P
if you cant wait to the end of this post to start earning CALL 08068429492 for the package at once!!
But for the patient and prudent one reading this post,i mean you,yes you,here is the info free of charge
This package helped make 50000 naira in 4 days, over and over again!
All you need is a bank account,e-mail address,ability to follow the easy steps in this manual and LIFE to enjoy your money pay 4000 naira only into the following account

number:126 1010015175; bank :at any skye bank branch nationwide

call 08068429492 for free details or waywitwurdz@yahoo.com but if you cant wait, its a tool which transforms your handset from call receiver to cash receiver! follow the steps in the set up and start making thousands of nairs weekly!to receive this underpriced manual simply pay 4000 naira only into the following account:
number:126 1010015175; bank :any skye bank branch nationwide
call 08068429492 to notify me of the payment and you receive your package that very hour! remember, POOR means: P

u never tire?
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by isolo: 10:38pm On Jan 16, 2009
Naira is coming back, and it will be fully supported by CBN. Next Monday is a big day for Naira. Already black market dealers are trying to get rid of their dollars, they are afraid they will lose big on Monday. any idea what target price the CBN is aiming at, How low the dollar will get
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by BOSS7: 11:44am On Jan 17, 2009
Just for those who are interested,I 've just checked the Naira to pound rate from the post office (MoneyGram) and it's N215 - £1.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by Thadude(m): 8:59pm On Jan 17, 2009
The indices doesnt show naira coming stronger against the dollar, rather its all a scam from Soludo to create artificial confidence in the Naira hoping that speculators will crumble. There is already a scare in the investment environment and the artificial stability of the naira without increament in the price of crude oil is a hoax and will not stop the jittery that was created by the confessed devaluation of the naira by Soludo, rather this will create more panic and an unprecedented rush for the dollar for conservation. Everyone knows Soludo was jittery in devaluing the naira in the first place, the drop in the price of oil caused a panic in Soludo and the business class will rely on the oil price to determine the true state of the naira. Even yesterday Yara-disaster confessed that the global financial crunch has affected Nigeria. If you have dollars conserve it, i bet dollar hoarding will begin, we are now caught in e-forex trading in Nigeria with the USD/NGN @149.500 / 152.370 (bid/ask) (1-17-09)and you know what happens in forex? fingers get burnt. I see a more stronger dollars cos the dollar is gaining grounds against the pounds, euro, CAD, Rumble for the first time in 16yrs. Unless oil price rises, brace up for N195 - $1 in the coming weeks with $35 per barrel (1-16-09) we are truly in for it no more cover for naira. I only hope the panic in govt will not push them to IMF for borrowing because that will lead to the total collapse of the naira even CFA will be stronger than the naira then.
International investors are checking out the reminder of their funds, local investors are confused!!!, The Nigeria investment environment requires a serious bail out, but politicians are busy bailing out their pockets and speaking words to us, as if words have ever cured Mr. president's kidney.
Re: Naira Vs Dollar: The Crash Of A Pampered Currency? by liquid7: 9:28am On Jan 18, 2009
well there more then just the government "fixing" the naira .
Where the government has failed is to make plans beyond oil and banking .2 sectors hugely hit by the credit crunch.
Lets analyse the naira .It is a currency highly dependant on strong oil prices and sadly if jan/feb shows weak oil prices then it is likely to be so at least till next winter.
oil prices traditionally are high in winter as it is more in demand then for heating europe ,NA and other cold countries.At the moment it is sitting $35/36 a barrel which is a poor sign.
People are flying less,switiching from suv to more fuel economical cars,using less heat and the list goes on to save money .
The banking sector has all but collapsed so really nigeria is going to be hit hard by the crisis.
Reason naira enjoyed for a few months to exchange the £ for 170 was because it got to nigeria late.Similarly how the pound exhanged for $2.1 in jan 2008 because the credit crunch did not hit the uk by then.
I think the naira tradtionally traded for about 250 to the £ and thats where it is heading once again to its usual level as the crisis hits nigeria too.
A lot put faith in merill lynch saying nigeria is safest economy but merill prediction in last 1 year has been totally laughable and based on the criteria that getting credit in nigeria is extremely hard but that on the other hand is also a bad thing long term as it is the cause of the current world recession.
A good read on why merill lynch might be wrong is http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1886:cost-of-doing-business-and-a-safe-economy&catid=117:news&Itemid=298

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Habits That Make People Stay In Poverty For Life / 3 Advantages Of Starting Small As An Entrepreneur / Nigerian Stocks The Best Global Performer,haven't Had A Run This Good Since 2001

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.