Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare (5332 Views)

Really..i Thought I Know Cars,but This Toyota Caught Me Off Guard / What I Saw At NNPC Gas Station. / Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by lonelydora: 10:44pm On Dec 08, 2014
After about 2 years of piloting through the muddy waters of Port harcourt, I decided it was time to flush my radiator. Car wasn't overheating. Infact, I rarely top water in the radiator from month to month. I dismantled the radiator and was about taking it to the place I will get it flushed, something struck me and I took along side my a/c condenser; and that was where the problem started.

After flushing both radiator and condenser, both were fixed and R134a charged to the correct pressure. Within 48 hours, the a/c started blowing hot air. On troubleshooting i found out that the condenser was leaking maybe because of the flushing.

To cut the long story short, I bought a brand new condenser, I rarely buy any Tokunbo or fairly used material, gas recharged to appropriate pressure but the a/c is still not cooling.

Now, a/c guy is telling me to change the compressor which I object because compressor was doing fine before the condenser flushing. He said the compressor is not working fine cos it's kicking on and off. I decided to put a stop to all the work until I find out from my fellow Nairalnaders.

Please guys has anyone encountered this problem? I need urgent answers cos the handshake of a/c has extended beyond the elbow.

Car is 2003 Honda Accord V6.

1st pix: Compressor

2nd pix: Radiator and Condenser before the flushing

3rd pix: Radiator after flushing.

4th: Condenser after flushing.

Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by ogtavia(m): 11:11pm On Dec 08, 2014
Currently having dt issue too...tho a mercedes Benz...look,ask ur mechanic or technician to investigate all ur AC hoses and Valves for weakness or leakage...check d compressor for leakage...compressor leaks when d pipe leading into it isn't properly sealed,it happens each time u change a compressor,check ur AC dryer as well,it works closely with ur condenser,finally,check ur AC air filter and evaporator...but most likely its a case of leakage since it began when u did routine maintenance,nothing is wrong with maintenance my brother,it even might av been waiting to happen....d mercedes is currently in a mechanic on AC wahala,changed compressor,condenser,dryer,valves,hoses...still all d same thing,...the mechanic wants to check d evaporator...and its also possible ur compressor might be d problem...I know u bought it new,yet,atimes,from experience,new isn't always best,except u bought from an OEM store.

1 Like

Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by mayor2013: 12:29am On Dec 09, 2014
Am not sure if your honda accord as a module that controls it, would have just said you should scan your Ac.
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by chukel(m): 4:12am On Dec 09, 2014
Lonelydora, run from dat ac technician. The same way they condemn radiator fan kicking on and off as a result of thermostat is d same way he wants to remove ur ac thermostat nd wire it direct so that ur compressor continues to spin constantly. Both u an ogtavia have the same issue. Ogtavia can change all the ac items in the benz but still won't work. U just need to vacuum that system. There is moisture in it. Some very good ac/fridge technicians have vacuum pump. This is just the reason why once an HVAC system is opened in Nigeria, it never works like before. Opened system MUST be vacuumed before refilling, else u trap air with moisture inside which will freeze and eventually kill the compressor from overwork.

2 Likes

Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by lonelydora: 5:38am On Dec 09, 2014
chukel:
Lonelydora, run from dat ac technician. The same way they condemn radiator fan kicking on and off as a result of thermostat is d same way he wants to remove ur ac thermostat nd wire it direct so that ur compressor continues to spin constantly. Both u an ogtavia have the same issue. Ogtavia can change all the ac items in the benz but still won't work. U just need to vacuum that system. There is moisture in it. Some very good ac/fridge technicians have vacuum pump. This is just the reason why once an HVAC system is opened in Nigeria, it never works like before. Opened system MUST be vacuumed before refilling, else u trap air with moisture inside which will freeze and eventually kill the compressor from overwork.
I suggested vacuuming to the guy he reluctantly agreed but I asked him to wait because I want to bring it to this forum.

@ogtavia, all the things you mentioned I have changed them except the evaporator. I will ask him to check it.
Thanks guys for your contributions so far. More contribution needed.

1 Like

Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by chukel(m): 6:41am On Dec 09, 2014
lonelydora:

I suggested vacuuming to the guy he reluctantly agreed but I asked him to wait because I want to bring it to this forum.

@ogtavia, all the things you mentioned I have changed them except the evaporator. I will ask him to check it.
Thanks guys for your contributions so far. More contribution needed.
in addition let him refill ur system with a dye containing 134a refrigerant so as to spot leaks. Dats after vacuuming ur system. Note that vacuum is not the same as flushing though the later is done in order to achieve result of the former. But it can never give u same result. And if ur system is leaking, u will not get enough negative pressure. So it affords u the ability to check leak and extract moisture from your system.
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by ogtavia(m): 7:40am On Dec 09, 2014
chukel:
in addition let him refill ur system with a dye containing 134a refrigerant so as to spot leaks. Dats after vacuuming ur system. Note that vacuum is not the same as flushing though the later is done in order to achieve result of the former. But it can never give u same result. And if ur system is leaking, u will not get enough negative pressure. So it affords u the ability to check leak and extract moisture from your system.

D Vehicle is already in d mechanic's shop,I shud be seeing d evaporator today....however,I will still suggest this things to him...tnx...however,u talked abt d technician fidling with d radiator fan and wiring it direct and d compressor works itself away....well,u must be a prophet.....cos d electrician advised this,tho he didn't remove d thermostat,I know better than allowing an mechanic touch my thermostat...what he just did was to connect d ac fan directly,such dt was d ignition starts,d fan starts too,it has nothing to do with d compressor,d compressor only starts when d AC is switched off....but whatever d case is sha,I will suggest vacuuming to d engineer...
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by chukel(m): 7:59am On Dec 09, 2014
ogtavia:

D Vehicle is already in d mechanic's shop,I shud be seeing d evaporator today....however,I will still suggest this things to him...tnx...however,u talked abt d technician fidling with d radiator fan and wiring it direct and d compressor works itself away....well,u must be a prophet.....cos d electrician advised this,tho he didn't remove d thermostat,I know better than allowing an mechanic touch my thermostat...what he just did was to connect d ac fan directly,such dt was d ignition starts,d fan starts too,it has nothing to do with d compressor,d compressor only starts when d AC is switched off....but whatever d case is sha,I will suggest vacuuming to d engineer...
when u put on ur ac, the compressor is supposed to cycle on and off based on the readings of the ac thermostat. It's not supposed to cycle continuously. But these clowns have a way of disconnecting that ac thermostat so that it runs continuously while ur ac is on. Dat will superbly shorten the lifespan of ur compressor.
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by ogtavia(m): 9:26am On Dec 09, 2014
chukel:
when u put on ur ac, the compressor is supposed to cycle on and off based on the readings of the ac thermostat. It's not supposed to cycle continuously. But these clowns have a way of disconnecting that ac thermostat so that it runs continuously while ur ac is on. Dat will superbly shorten the lifespan of ur compressor.

Naaahh...I didn't fall for dt bro...I always check d compressor each time I start d engine to make such that it isn't rolling...I lost a compressor dt way...so once bitten,twice shy.
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 09, 2014
The compressor IS meant to cycle on and off. If the cycling is too frequent, I would turn my attention to the high-pressure switch. I assume the gas quantity is correct?

How much gas was injected, and was PAG oil added? Was the gas charge done with those gas cylinders available in Nigeria?
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by chukel(m): 9:37am On Dec 09, 2014
ogtavia:

Naaahh...I didn't fall for dt bro...I always check d compressor each time I start d engine to make such that it isn't rolling...I lost a compressor dt way...so once bitten,twice shy.
u r not getting me. There is a difference between starting the engine and putting on the ac. U r referring to starting the engine and checking ur compressor. Naaaah. I'm referring to putting on ur ac and checking if the compressor cycles on and off or not.
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by inze(m): 11:53am On Dec 09, 2014
ogtavia:

The Bolded is a common practice by local mechanic and is very wrong, such will make your engine run cold always without reaching optimal running temperature. In other news, your MPG(miles per gallon) has just been decreased thanks to your mechanic
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by ogtavia(m): 3:18pm On Dec 09, 2014
chukel:
u r not getting me. There is a difference between starting the engine and putting on the ac. U r referring to starting the engine and checking ur compressor. Naaaah. I'm referring to putting on ur ac and checking if the compressor cycles on and off or not.

Of course it does cycle off and on...a compressor dt runs continuously will not last...however its difficult to know once d radiator fan has been made direct,I must confess....but u raised a valid point...I will make investigatns abt it anyways tnx...
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by lonelydora: 9:57pm On Dec 09, 2014
Guys thanks for your contribution so far. Now, how do I know the compressor is bad? Also should I take it to another technician? IF YES, how will I know if this next guy is good?

The truth is this guy has been the one handling my a/c issues, and for the past 3 years plus I have not had any issue with the a/c except refilling of gas. I even recommend colleagues and friends to him and they have testified he's good at it.

I brought this here so that i get more answers that is not changing the guy because the next guy may be worse than him.

So please more contributions needed.
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by MightyThor(m): 12:00pm On Dec 10, 2014
Guy I did the same flushing on my car at ikoku, though I drove there and told the guy to bring down the radiator but flush the condenser intact. That is a safer option next time, the less components are dismantled the better for your peace of mind and pocket.

1 Like

Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by sultaan(m): 6:26am On Dec 11, 2014
I posted this video once for someone who made the same mistake.

All you had to do was take a water hose and rise the fins with soap while still connected on the car you are just trying to get a better air flow through the fins.No need to flush ac condenser anymore
Radiator should just be drain run engine with water and redrain a couple of times the refill with coolant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0O1mcnwjZs

2 Likes

Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by lonelydora: 5:48am On Dec 21, 2014
Yes my people. My a/c is finally back and chilling. I finally changed the compressor and the system was vacuumed. Enough Oil and water mixture came out from the evaporator which was the major problem. I will create another thread to explain in detail later.
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by chukel(m): 10:23am On Dec 21, 2014
lonelydora:
Yes my people. My a/c is finally back and chilling. I finally changed the compressor and the system was vacuumed. Enough Oil and water mixture came out from the evaporator which was the major problem. I will create another thread to explain in detail later.
good to know. But u Neva thank me angry

1 Like

Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by lonelydora: 6:19pm On Dec 21, 2014
chukel:
good to know. But u Neva thank me angry
Thank you my brother. That"s why we r on this forum.
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by frackky: 9:11am On Apr 04, 2016
lonelydora:

@lonelydora, please share the address and possibly the contact details where you vacuumed and refilled your AC system. i believe this was done in port harcourt. I need this urgently to avoid damage to my own compressor. Thanks
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by Originalsly: 10:08am On Apr 04, 2016
sultaan:
I posted this video once for someone who made the same mistake.

All you had to do was take a water hose and rise the fins with soap while still connected on the car you are just trying to get a better air flow through the fins.No need to flush ac condenser anymore
Radiator should just be drain run engine with water and redrain a couple of times the refill with coolant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0O1mcnwjZs
Everyone should watch this video.....thanks for posting!
Re: What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare by lonelydora: 10:30am On Apr 04, 2016
frackky:

@lonelydora, please share the address and possibly the contact details where you vacuumed and refilled your AC system. i believe this was done in port harcourt. I need this urgently to avoid damage to my own compressor. Thanks

Call Henry on 08181334103. He stays close to Eleme Junction.

(1) (Reply)

How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? / Kia Optima Vs Hyundai Sonata / Blackberry Partners With Qualcomm To Power Future Smart Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.