Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Popular Masquerades In Nigeria - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Popular Masquerades In Nigeria (31191 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / Get Set Go / Masquerades In Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 05, 2008
Lol! I'm so scared of this things. . . .wouldn't dare come out on a masqurade day(s). . . .esp. their canes cry
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 7:14pm On Dec 05, 2008
seriously though, why do some of these masquerades like flogging women and children?

thats just wrong and extremely disrespectful.

I think any masquerade who specializes in flogging others should be unmasked.
Chai, aaaalu. I meluo mmonwu!. Masqurades nowadays do not necessarily flog women, they scare them away. Flogging is outdated and any masqurade that maintains that culture should be banned in my own opinioncheesy cheesy

Some masqurades like idi nla like these ones  from ondo state shown below. Why you dey complain, my Tpia? grin
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 7:22pm On Dec 05, 2008

Biko, of all the masquerades in Ijaw land, why you go bring this nonsense na? You could have brought the Pirirangala masquerade, which is 40 feet tall and dances on stilts, the Odum masquerade which is the sea snake and is 40 feet long and emerges from the river, or the flamboyant Pioru masquerade or the Egwein masquerade which floats on air and dances on water.

If I had pictures I would post them. . . . . I doubt any masquerade can phock with the Odum.
ODUM

Celebrated by the Ijaws of Okrika in the Okrika Local Government area of Rivers state. It is celebrated once in 10years or at major occassions. The festival which displays a Boa constrictor masquerade on water, is very colorful, flamboyant and quite expensive to celebrate.The high point of the festival is the offer of gifts such as live goats or other animals which the odum swallows without blinking.
I will appreciate any picture please . There are masqurades called odum in igboland. odum in igbo means leopard but it seems that it means python in ijaw language. Am I wrong?
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 7:23pm On Dec 05, 2008
Do Hausas and Fulanis have masqurades?
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by tpia: 7:49pm On Dec 05, 2008
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:02pm On Dec 05, 2008
that must be your girlfriend in that picture.

na so you likeam.
otuocha! That idi nla can cause global warming but I like them though because they are pretty and prettier than you.

who you dey call your tpia by the way? Are you smoking something?
I meant to say, Tribalist elect. iwe la iwe, nne m.
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by tpia: 8:07pm On Dec 05, 2008
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:15pm On Dec 05, 2008
Ijele: The biggest masqurade in igboland. Makes a rare appearance(an average of once per decade)
correction! The biggest mask in West Africa.
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:18pm On Dec 05, 2008
tpia:

All this flogging and beating should be eliminated from African culture.

Ugh! That would just take the fun and excitement out of it, It would just be like any sh*tty carnival found anywhere in the world, The masks context and meaning would be lost and besides its fun seeing people taunt masquerades, lol.
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:18pm On Dec 05, 2008
correction! The biggest mask in West Africa.
Have you seen the whole masqurades in west Africa?. Both the visible and invisible?. Did you hear about the one in Ekiti that cannot be photographed otherwise you will get a picture of Lizard. Masqurade dey ooo.
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:20pm On Dec 05, 2008
I repeat- masquerades need to be able to do their thing without intimidating women and children. ie the masquerades who do these things. And I'm wholeheartedly in support of them being unmasked if they don't stop.

the person unmasking them shouldnt do so without backup however.

You are more interested in unmasking and desecrating our masqurade than anything else. Did a masqurade knock you up?. We can always ban them and not unmask them unless you want to disappear. Masqurade no be ordinary human being ooo. you no sabi wetin dey inside. na mmuo be that.
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:21pm On Dec 05, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

Have you seen the whole masqurades in west Africa?. Both the visible and invisible?. Did you hear about the one in Ekiti that cannot be photographed otherwise you will get a picture of Lizard. Masqurade dey ooo.

Uhh, Im quoting DISNEY mate! They had one made for them and is featured in their Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Here read this,
http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/Deluxe-Resorts/Disneys-Animal-Kingdom-Lodge.html
The Ijele, the largest and one of the most respected masks in sub-Saharan Africa
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:27pm On Dec 05, 2008
Lagos: Lagbaja masqurade

Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:30pm On Dec 05, 2008
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Written by Louis Mongello    
The showpiece of most unique resort, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, is the 33 acres of land where more than 100 animals roam on three "savannas." Many of the Resort's guest rooms overlook this savanna, where exotic animals such as giraffe and zebra graze and rest at watering holes - perfect for photo opportunities. This six-story tall deluxe resort was designed by architect Peter Dominick, known for designing Disney's Fort Wilderness Lodge. Both Lodges include lobbies that vault six stories right up to the ceiling.
The Igbo Ijele (pronounced e-bo e-gelay), a rare and colorful ceremonial African mask that stands 16 feet tall, graces the lobby of Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.
The mask, featured as one of the authentic African art pieces at the newest Disney resort, is the only Ijele known to exist outside of Africa. It was acquired by Elizabeth [/b]Etchepare, who lived in Nigeria with a family of Igbo people while a graduate student with the University of Santa Barbara. During her studies, Etchepare built a relationship with elders of the group and successfully commissioned them to create, build and initiate the mask through tribal rituals.
The Ijele, the largest and one of the most respected masks in sub-Saharan Africa, [b]usually appears every 10 to 25 years among the Igbo people of Nigeria for celebrations and important events. This rarity is regarded as an attribute of greatness.

The mystical aura of the Ijele is derived from its complex construction and its meaning. The Ijele represents all aspects of Igbo life, dealing with the material and spiritual worlds through the various colors, designs, fabrics and figures found on the mask. Construction by a team of commissioned artists can involve four men working eight to 10 hours a day, seven days a week, for at least six weeks. The men work in seclusion before moving to an outside area for the final touches.
The Framework -- A brightly colored cloth completely covers a cone-shaped frame supported on a circular foundation. The cloth creates a kaleidoscopic, rainbow effect. Hundreds of tassels are attached to the arches and the rim of the base.
The Headdress -- Up to 100 stuffed figures fill out the spaces on the headdress, representing three categories:
- man and daily activities such as riding a bicycle or climbing a tree to cut fruit;
- the spirit world, which is represented by various masks;
- plant and animal life shown through various species on the mask such as the giant python encircling the foundation.
About 12 bright panels, nearly six feet in length, hang down from the disc to conceal the mask carrier.
The Performance -- The person wearing the mask, who goes through physical and spiritual preparation for the event, goes under the framework, aided by followers to steady the mask. The Ijele orchestra, which consists of a line of drummers, flutists, dancers and singers, prepares the crowd. The mask is preceded by a male dancer and followed by the orchestra.
It begins its movement slowly, but during the 15-minute ceremonial dance, the Ijele is always majestic, enforcing his image as the king of masks and a figure of supreme mystical authority. The Ijele moves with agility as its large body goes forward, backward, side to side and in semicircular turns from left to right, going back into an enclosure.

There may still be a bigger masqurade somewhere in cameroun or Ghana that cannot be photographed. Thank you for the link though and i got the min of 10 years outing.
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by tpia: 8:49pm On Dec 05, 2008
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by tpia: 8:51pm On Dec 05, 2008
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 10:12pm On Dec 05, 2008
no need to ban them.

they should just stop trying to intimidate people.

and yes, they can be unmasked. All it takes is a steady hand.

Everything about you is by force. Do you know what is diplomacy?. Unmask our masqurade at your own peril because some of them no be human being dey inside as you dey seeam so. Masqurades for naija no be Olabowale.
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by tpia: 11:47pm On Dec 05, 2008
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 7:29pm On Dec 06, 2008

If a tiny boy like this can stand on a bike without fear, nothing is impossible.
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:21pm On Dec 06, 2008
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:23pm On Dec 06, 2008
Marikoto: yoruba
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:25pm On Dec 06, 2008
mami water: Cross river
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:31pm On Dec 06, 2008
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:37pm On Dec 06, 2008
Delta: Egugu masqurade
[img]http://www.nigerianembassy.nl/Obavisit9.JPG[/img]
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:53pm On Dec 06, 2008
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:56pm On Dec 06, 2008
Onitsha: Ojionu masqurade
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 8:57pm On Dec 06, 2008
Ebonyi: Odudu bariba
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 9:01pm On Dec 06, 2008
Anambra/Enugu:
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 9:20pm On Dec 06, 2008
Yoruba masqurade
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 9:22pm On Dec 06, 2008
Igbo masquarde mask
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 9:23pm On Dec 06, 2008
Kalabari masqurade
Re: Popular Masquerades In Nigeria by AloyEmeka9: 9:25pm On Dec 06, 2008
Opobo, Rivers state: chics make una see natural six packs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osun State Anthem / Ooni Ogunwusi & Wuraola Visit Tukur In Abuja - Photos / Ezeuzu Awka Officially Opens His New Palace (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.