Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. (34240 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga / Sleeping Position On Bed Threatens Marriage! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Huffington: 11:08am On Dec 12, 2014
"We can't destroy the inequities between men and women until we destroy marriage" - Ms Robin Morgan

"My current position on marriage is that I am against it. ... Politically, I am against it because it has been oppressive for women, and through privileging heterosexuality, oppressive for lesbians and gay men" - Virginia Braun

The above statements were made by two foremost feminists. Feminism in the right sense of it had always been about fighting for equality of rights for women. From the early days of the first wave feminist movements which focused mainly on suffrage and legal obstacles of equality in voting and property rights, to the second wave feminism of the 70s and 80s which sought for rights in the workplace, family and sexuality for women, the campaigns have always been for the men folk to stop the age long oppression of women in all aspects of life. The main focus of my write-up however is on how feminism may be affecting marriages all over the world. The effect may be more in the developed countries but it is slowly and surely creeping into Africa and Nigeria.

Robin Morgan who I quoted in the first paragraph is known as the mother of modern feminism. Though she was initially married with a son, she later divorced her husband, and declared for atheism saying that religion is patriarchal and thus demeaning to women. Another radical feminist, Linda Gordon was quoted as saying that the nuclear family must be destroyed and that the break-up of families is an objectively revolutionary process. Perhaps the most radical feminist statement yet came from Valerie Solanas in her writing, the S.C.U.M manifesto where she wrote that "to call a man an animal is to flatter him; he is a machine, a walking Love machine" She went ahead to call to women to overthrow all forms of male leadership as a way of making the world a better place. One common factor with these people apart from misandry is their real or imagined disdain for the institution of marriage and (for some) the encouragement of or active participation in Lesbianism and Gayism. To them, marriage is sexist and demeans women. Jane Lewis wrote, " Symbolically, the white wedding asserts that women’s ultimate dream and purpose is to marry, and remains replete with sexist imagery: the father “giving away” the bride; the white dress symbolizing the bride’s virginity (and emphasizing the importance of her appearance); the vows to obey the husband; the minister telling the husband “you may now kiss the bride” (rather than the bride herself giving permission, or indeed initiating or at least equally participating in the act of kissing); the reception at which, traditionally, all the speeches are given by men; the wife surrendering her own name and taking her husband’s.'' The list goes on and on.

But if i may ask, will the end of marriage as an institution as canvassed by some feminists actually translate to the end of women's travails and alleged oppression? Will the change in the natural roles of men at home as opposed to that of women mean an end to marital problems? If marriage is such a terrible anti-female experience, why then are feminists especially in developed climes campaigning for lesbian and gay marriages? Since marriage is bad, then the same sexes should stay off, shouldn't they? Does equal rights for both men and women translate to equality of both sexes? If both sexes are equal why then do we have different sports tournaments for men and women? Why did God create us differently if he didn't intend for us to assume different roles in life (Genesis 1:27)? I have heard some of them even seen on their facebook walls and other social media question why a woman must be submissive to the husband in marriage as directed by the scriptures. They suggest to their female friends ways to rebel against their husbands and "keep them in their right places". They are marriage counselors who themselves are not married. Before some people misunderstand me, i am not in any way supporting domestic violence or maltreatment in marriage as I believe in mutual respect between both sexes. But i am pro-marriage and i am a sincere believer that marriage MUST be a union between MAN and WOMAN, and not between man and man or woman and woman. Indeed the joy of companionship, the strength the couple find in the love between them, the way the two become whole in personality and emotionally, the pleasures and satisfaction of sex, the reward of having and raising children e.t.c can only come through the life-long permanency of marriage. The increasing rate of juvenile delinquency we have these days is a direct result of breakdown of the marriage institution especially in the developed world, where single parenting, baby mamaism, broken homes e.t.c is the order of the day.

In conclusion, while discussing this marriage issue with a female friend who prides herself as a feminist, she called those "other feminists" old fashioned and said the modern feminist like herself actually do not dislike marriage on principle. She said she disagrees with this general notion that a woman isn't complete till she is married off and that society frowns at single accomplished ladies like herself. My take on that is, marriage is not something to be rushed into just because you need to be called a Mrs. or because the biological clock is ticking away. It is a life contract and so care should be taken to get someone you are at least compatible with and can grow old with. Truly there is no perfect marriage, but like they say tough times don't last, but tough people do.
http://ndibenonso..com/2014/12/radical-feminism-versus-marriage.html

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by bukatyne(f): 11:18am On Dec 12, 2014
Genesis 1:27 - Bible Gateway

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+1:27

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them

I am trying to see from this verse where it talks about inequality. If the OP wants to quote the Bible let him/her make appropriate references.

@OP: no comment; the Bible passage attracted me

8 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by lilmax(m): 11:29am On Dec 12, 2014
always surprised when bukatyne talks about feminism with the bible and she knows it doesn't encourage it... It's either you accept it or become an atheist

Feminists said there is no head in the house that all are equal but the bible says man is the head,a leader....arguing feminism using the bible is foolishness

18 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Fkforyou(m): 11:53am On Dec 12, 2014
I heard all this, I want a different perspective....
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Huffington: 11:56am On Dec 12, 2014
bukatyne:

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them

I am trying to see from this verse where it talks about inequality. If the OP wants to quote the Bible let him/her make appropriate references.

I never said men and women were not equals, what i'm implying is that we are different and so have different roles to play in all aspects of life including marriage.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by bukatyne(f): 11:58am On Dec 12, 2014
Huffington:
I never said men and women were not equals, what i'm implying is that we are different and so have different roles to play in all aspects of life including marriage.

And who said we are same?

Even twins are different so what is the hype about difference?

No two humans is the same in this world

13 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 1:11pm On Dec 12, 2014
bukatyne:

the same bible says....

12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve." (1 Tim. 2:12-13).

there's hierarchy or seniority in God's kingdom!

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by bukatyne(f): 1:23pm On Dec 12, 2014
coogar:

the same bible says....

12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve." (1 Tim. 2:12-13).

The same Bible said we should not build balconies, wear clothes with mixed material (90% cotton, 10% wool), practice mixed cropping etc.

We should learn to understand the context per scripture

Acquilla taught Apollos the scriptures; she also taught with her husband in the synagogue

Besides, that particular scripture the OP referenced did not back up whatever he was proposing.

Ok then, whatever makes you sleep @ night cheesy

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 1:29pm On Dec 12, 2014
bukatyne:

The same Bible said we should not build balconies, wear clothes with mixed material (90% cotton, 10% wool), practice mixed cropping etc.

We should learn to understand the context per scripture

Acquilla taught Apollos the scriptures; she also taught with her husband in the synagogue

Besides, that particular scripture the OP referenced did not back up whatever he was proposing.

Ok then, whatever makes you sleep @ night cheesy

you are the only person i know that loves to preach feminism in christianity. we can as well disregard the other teachings in the bible just because you cannot accept your inferior position. a woman will always be under her man - that's what the scripture preaches.

if you were a scientologist or an atheist like many of the feminazis here then i won't even bother cos they are not bible-believing. however, to keep telling us men & women are weighted equally in the bible is the highest level of hypocrisy. feminism & the bible are polar opposites.

44 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by 5minsmadness: 1:29pm On Dec 12, 2014
Once again, the devil at work through his associates. Destroy marriage, destroy the family unit, destroy mankind.

8 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 1:34pm On Dec 12, 2014
5minsmadness:
Once again, the devil at work through his associates. Destroy marriage, destroy the family unit, destroy mankind.

you mean feminism is the devil? cheesy grin

8 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by 5minsmadness: 1:40pm On Dec 12, 2014
coogar:

you mean feminism is the devil? cheesy grin
Correction.

Feminism is from the devil.

38 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by bukatyne(f): 1:59pm On Dec 12, 2014
coogar:

you are the only person i know that loves to preach feminism in christianity. we can as well disregard the other teachings in the bible just because you cannot accept your inferior position. a woman will always be under her man - that's what the scripture preaches.

if you were a scientologist or an atheist like many of the feminazis here then i won't even bother cos they are not bible-believing. however, to keep telling us men & women are weighted equally in the bible is the highest level of hypocrisy. feminism & the bible are polar opposites.

A woman inferior to a man in the Bible?

Well well, the Bible supports slavery too wink

16 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Stillfire: 2:02pm On Dec 12, 2014
Are we to debate a secular view or a religious view? Which one? undecided

Religion is indeed patriarchal and demeaning to women. That was not God's original plan though.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 3:52pm On Dec 12, 2014
bukatyne:

A woman inferior to a man in the Bible?
Well well, the Bible supports slavery too wink

stillfire has replied you for me....

Stillfire:
Religion is indeed patriarchal and demeaning to women. That was not God's original plan though.
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 12, 2014
coogar:

the same bible says....

Wonders upon wonders shocked shocked shocked, Is Coogar xtian? Did he just quote scripture and take on Bukatyne about certain biblical facts?

Bros no vex ooo I honestly thought or rather assumed you were an atheist.

3 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by bukatyne(f): 4:15pm On Dec 12, 2014
coogar:

stillfire has replied you for me....

And you somehow missed the bolded...

Stillfire:

Learn to differentiate God's perfect will from His permissive will cheesy

God let Balam go to bless the Isrealites even though it was not His will

4 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 4:17pm On Dec 12, 2014
bukatyne:

And you somehow missed the bolded...

God's plan is irrelevant to this issue. eve fell since the first chapter of the bible & she was rightly punished for it. from then on, the place of a woman is below a man.

QED!!!

Learn to differentiate God's perfect will from His permissive will cheesy

God let Balam go to bless the Isrealites even though it was not His will

medicine after death....
the place of a woman is below the man right from when eve was cursed to the new testament when paul, timothy & co took centre-stage.

3 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by bukatyne(f): 4:20pm On Dec 12, 2014
coogar:

God's plan is irrelevant to this issue. eve fell since the first chapter of the bible & she was rightly punished for it. from then on, the place of a woman is below a man.

QED!!!

LOL! LOL!! LOL!!!

If God's plan is irrelevant, then what it?

It was Eve that fell now? Not the both of them? It was the consequences of their disobedience and Christ died to remove that curse grin

Coogar, go and read your Bibeli.

*** Just saw the addendum: Now you are definitely trolling cheesy

8 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 4:32pm On Dec 12, 2014
bukatyne:

LOL! LOL!! LOL!!!
If God's plan is irrelevant, then what it?

God's original plan was for man & woman to live in peace & harmony. eve welcomed a 3rd party that lured her to disobey God & she fell......she then lured her hubby to do the same & he fell.

It was Eve that fell now? Not the both of them? It was the consequences of their disobedience and Christ died to remove that curse grin

if christ died to remove the curse, why do you still go through pain during childbirth? why do men & women still have to toil to make a living? curse removed? you must be having a laugh. until you can scoop out a baby easily like you're taking a pee, the curse or the punishment still hovers over mankind.

Coogar, go and read your Bibeli.

*** Just saw the addendum: Now you are definitely trolling cheesy

we shall see who's trolling in the next bible passage:

To the woman he said, "I will make your pains in childbearing very severe; with painful labor you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."(Genesis 3:16)

now, who's trolling? grin

25 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by mutter(f): 4:36pm On Dec 12, 2014
There is no problem being under a man, my man!
I even love it - wear the crown and carry the load- why would I want to struggle authority in a kingdom where there is just one other person to bow down for me and to wear that crown carry the whole responsibility of running that kingdom.
Yes! men do have a price to pay for their one woman kingdom. grin

What I have problem with is men who think that because they are men they can`t work under a woman or take instruction from her. Even when they have no choice you can smell the rebellion inside of them.
However a mature and understanding woman let`s them keep their over bloated ego- the same way you give a baby a pacifier.

Now Coogar be good wink

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by coogar: 4:47pm On Dec 12, 2014
mutter:

There is no problem being under a man, my man! I even love it - wear the crown and carry the load- why would I want to struggle authority in a kingdom where there is just one other person to bow down for me and to wear that crown carry the whole responsibility of running that kingdom.
Yes! men do have a price to pay for their one woman kingdom. grin

this is what i like to read.....

What I have problem with is men who think that because they are men they can`t work under a woman or take instruction from her. Even when they have no choice you can smell the rebellion inside of them.
However a mature and understanding woman let`s them keep their over bloated ego- the same way you give a baby a pacifier.

Now Coogar be good wink

the best way to completely avoid office squabs is to stay away or avoid female superiors completely. women tend to overdo it in their bid to prove to all & sundry that she's not weak. one can still wield power with feminine qualities.

3 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by OCTAVO: 5:03pm On Dec 12, 2014
Hmmmmmmm smiley
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by holatin(m): 5:03pm On Dec 12, 2014
yes now.
They are always right, I Ve one as aunt, I just look at her and cry for how her life dey go with feminism attributes.

2 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 5:04pm On Dec 12, 2014
Hmmm
Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 12, 2014
Most feminists are deluded in some way.

12 Likes

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by dre11(m): 5:05pm On Dec 12, 2014
5minsmadness:

That's one of the end time works
Since marriage is the first institution that GOD did proclaim to man and the oldest.....
So, a way to get man to loose focus is to destroy that institution and make it useless there by making man fall from Grace to grass

Although, I support treating women with care, respect and love but, the way some feminist are going about it makes me wonder where is this world going. I from their perspective see that gender equality and feminist theory to be of two teaching which are at 90degrees apart from other.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 12, 2014
Hmm. I don't see how feminism is evil or devilish. It's just an avenue which women are using to fight and promote gender equality which has been denied for them. An avenue to structure peoples mind that it's nobody's world and your deed/success would determine your rank/worth regardless of your gender.

It's evil in the eye of misogynists who can't imagine seeing a successful or industrious woman. They view all of them as a sex object, submissive thing etc

By the way, the whole tag/naming ish is annoying to me. I believe a woman should be whatever she wishes, without being tagged as a feminist or think about what a man/someone else would say.

Just be you.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by onadana: 5:06pm On Dec 12, 2014
coolFRUSTRATION COMES IN MANY FORMS....

1 Like

Re: View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. by DancingSkeleton(m): 5:07pm On Dec 12, 2014
@OP asin undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Brother & Sister Recreate Childhood Photos For Their Parents’ 30th Anniversary / Man Starves Himself To Death In Benue After Losing Both Parents (Photo) / My Wife Is Threatening To Leave If I Can't Find Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.