Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,384 members, 7,800,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi (6927 Views)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by olabukola: 6:47pm On Dec 12, 2014
I am confused right now, which tribe is Rotimi Amaechi from. His name is as confusing as confusion hence I could not place him properly. Can somebody on the know clear my confusion pls.

If the rumour that he has been selected as VP is true, I personally feel that he will soon be our president.
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by morefire: 6:50pm On Dec 12, 2014
lol
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Lucasbalo(m): 6:52pm On Dec 12, 2014
It doesn't make any difference, he's a Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by temitemi1(m): 6:53pm On Dec 12, 2014
I no dey sure if d guy know him state of origin self grin grin grin
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 12, 2014
Ikwerre, that's why he is behaving like a tout

3 Likes

Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by iamodenigbo1(m): 6:58pm On Dec 12, 2014
ikwere,temi got it right

1 Like

Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 12, 2014
He belongs to the lineage of ancient igbos who were stocked and wared in the rivers area they now occupy destined for the slave ships.

With the end of the slave trade their captive slavers from the coastal region saw no value to them and then set them free.

The Ikweres which means freed men in the dialects of the Kalabari people then settled down withi. The confines of their once prison camps.

This is why Amaechi behaves and acts like a slave driver and boy boy even as serving governor.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-ANkfvJrqJBs/UufcoyoA0VI/AAAAAAAB4lg/BCsdRil_KtA/s1600/amae.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by olabukola: 7:04pm On Dec 12, 2014
iamodenigbo1:
ikwere,temi got it right

brito:
Ikwerre, that's why he is behaving like a tout
Is ikwerri a tribe? I thought its a dialect. We learn everyday.

Lucasbalo:
In Nigeria it makes.
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by amunkita(m): 7:07pm On Dec 12, 2014
Nah igala man....
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Nobody: 7:08pm On Dec 12, 2014
Amaechi is from Ikwerre.

btw: Kalabari is not a tribe, it is a Kingdom within the Ijaw tribe/nation.
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Nobody: 7:10pm On Dec 12, 2014
barcanista:
Amaechi is from Ikwerre.

btw: Kalabari is not a tribe, it is a Kingdom within the Ijaw tribe/nation.

A kingdom is not under a Nation.

The Kalabari people are distinct from the Ijaws.

Mumu.
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 12, 2014
The Ikwere people were a bunch of illiterate people who when sighting a white man for the first time agreed to all of his demands.

It was stated that an Igbo interpreter conveyed the wish of the colonial district head to build a wharf on their territory to which the shouted agreed in the their dialect which sounded of as Ikwere to the magga colonial master.

The name Ikwere accordingly was entered into the official Colonial gazette to classify these rare and new set of mumu people.

Nigerian colonial history records that the name "Ikwerre" was given by the colonial administration when they wanted to acquire the Rebisi waterfront to build the wharf. Using an Ibo interpreter to talk to the illiterate Rebisi (Port Harcourt) chiefs, they asked them: Would you permit us to use the waterfront to build the wharf for ships to berth? And they answered: A KWERULEM, meaning - "We have agreed." What the white-man was hearing was "Ikwerre," so he recorded it in the official gazette that the IKWERRE PEOPLE have agreed for the colonial administration to build the wharf. And since it was the official record of government, the name Ikwerre became the name of the Iwhnurohna people in all official documentations till date.

1 Like

Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 12, 2014
A very Ignorant Igboman.

The other major Ijaw linguistic group is Kalabari. Kalabari is considered an Eastern Ijaw language but the term "Eastern Ijaw" is not the normal nomenclature. Kalabari is the name of one of the Ijaw clans that reside on the eastern side of the Niger-Delta (Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana, Degema etc.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijaw_people#Tribes
BackDatAssUp:

A kingdom is not under a Nation.

The Kalabari people are distinct from the Ijaws.

Mumu.
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Lucasbalo(m): 7:21pm On Dec 12, 2014
olabukola:

Is ikwerri a tribe? I thought its a dialect. We learn everyday.

In Nigeria it makes.
It shouldn't be. We are all one from different tribes. United we stand, divided we fall. That says it all.
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by AustineE1: 7:25pm On Dec 12, 2014
olabukola:
I am confused right now, which tribe is Rotimi Amaechi from. His name is as confusing as confusion hence I could not place him properly. Can somebody on the know clear my confusion pls.

If the rumour that he has been selected as VP is true, I personally feel that he will soon be our president.
Op!point of correction,it is Igbo and not Ibo.....i tried so much to be civil with you,the next time you make such a mistake,either by omission or commission,you can be assured that you will get a red nose from me and other Igbos in this forum.Thank you,have a nice day!

5 Likes

Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by leshluap(m): 7:29pm On Dec 12, 2014
Can't realy say, but I know His Dad is from Niger state and his mum from Delta. he is a Niger-Deltan. I think.
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by oladele97: 7:30pm On Dec 12, 2014
Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi (born 27 May
1965) is the 15th and current Governor of
Rivers State, Nigeria, since 2007. He was re-
elected for a second term on 26 April 2011.
Amaechi was a member of the People's
Democratic Party before defecting to the All
Progressives Congress on 27 November 2013.
Early life and education
Amaechi was born in Ubima, Ikwerre Local
Government Area of Rivers State to the family
of late Elder Fidelis Amaechi and Mrs Mary
Amaechi. He was raised in Diobu, a densely
populated neighbourhood in Port Harcourt,[2]
[3] and had his early education at St Theresa's
Primary School from 1970 to 1976. He earned
his West African School Certificate in 1982
after attending Government Secondary School
Okolobiri. Chibuike received a Bachelor of Arts
degree (Honours) in English Studies and
Literature from the University of Port Harcourt
in 1987, where he was the President of the
National Association of Rivers State Students
(NURSS).
He completed the mandatory National Youth
Service in 1988. He thereafter joined the
Services of Pamo Clinics and Hospitals Limited
owned by Dr. Peter Odili, the former Governor
of Rivers State where he worked until 1992.He
is married to Judith Amaechi and they have
three boys.
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Nobody: 7:32pm On Dec 12, 2014
BackDatAssUp:
He belongs to the lineage of ancient igbos who were stocked and wared in the rivers area they now occupy destined for the slave ships.

With the end of the slave trade their captive slavers from the coastal region saw no value to them and then set them free.

The Ikweres which means freed men in the dialects of the Kalabari people then settled down withi. The confines of their once prison camps.

This is why Amaechi behaves and acts like a slave driver and boy boy even as serving governor.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-ANkfvJrqJBs/UufcoyoA0VI/AAAAAAAB4lg/BCsdRil_KtA/s1600/amae.jpg[/img]

Ameachi haters everywhere
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by HopeAtHand: 10:39pm On Dec 12, 2014
BackDatAssUp:
The Ikwere people were a bunch of illiterate people who when sighting a white man for the first time agreed to all of his demands.

It was stated that an Igbo interpreter conveyed the wish of the colonial district head to build a wharf on their territory to which the shouted agreed in the their dialect which sounded of as Ikwere to the magga colonial master.

The name Ikwere accordingly was entered into the official Colonial gazette to classify these rare and new set of mumu people.

Chai.. how i wish i could see you in real life..by now i would av reconfigured your brain.

First, Are u Kalabari or degema?
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Nobody: 7:59am On Dec 13, 2014
barcanista:
A very Ignorant Igboman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijaw_people#Tribes

A very silly tour who relies on wiki articles as refrence.

By the way I am not Igbo you osunite
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Ceenelly(m): 1:08pm On Dec 13, 2014
None of the above, the man is an ikwerre man
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Kanto: 8:31am On Dec 15, 2014
Amaechi like some of his people suffers identity crisis. The name of his sons are Chikampka and Obinna and the names should tell his tribe but as Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor said Nigeria is a country where we live on lies and deceit. So as far as I am concerned Amaechi has no tribe, he is hanging in the air.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by pazienza(m): 11:24pm On Dec 15, 2014
Kanto:
Amaechi like some of his people suffers identity crisis. The name of his sons are Chikampka and Obinna and the names should tell his tribe but as Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor said Nigeria is a country where we live on lies and deceit. So as far as I am concerned Amaechi has no tribe, he is hanging in the air.

Obinna? Are you sure? The Ikwerre version of that name is Ovunda. Amaechi is too Igbophobic to be using the central Igbo version of Ovunda for his son.
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by lafflaff123(m): 1:18am On Dec 16, 2014
The man is a Nigerian and that's what matters.
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by Moving722(m): 1:06am On Dec 19, 2014
Are Ikwerre in anyway related to Benin Kingdom? I know some Igbo's are for. ex the Onicha Igbo's come
from Benin and the Anioma Igbo's are mixed with Bini and Igbo
Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by tonychristopher: 11:02am On Dec 19, 2014
Moving722:
Are Ikwerre in anyway related to Benin Kingdom? I know some Igbo's are for. ex the Onicha Igbo's come
from Benin and the Anioma Igbo's are mixed with Bini and Igbo

if everybody comes from benin it then means that benin is a deserted area or that edo must be the most populous country in africa then, but from research edo was,used to and is a minority people so how come they have some parts of igbo, yorube igalla having edo

you see your logic and reaon doesnt add up

ikwerre is a clan in igbo and speak igbo dialect called ikwerre while the nsuka man speaks nsuka, the nnewi man speaks nnewi we have the bende man speak abiriba all are igbo langauges

FORGET THAT BENIN THING

1 Like

Re: Ibo, Ijaw, Kaleberi, Yoruba, Which Tribe Is Rotimi Amechi by sparkleRed(f): 10:34pm On Dec 19, 2014
Lucasbalo:
It does my dear, he is a"watever tribe he hails 4rm" be4 he became a Nigerian, d white man gave us d identity nigeria(Flora shaw)

(1) (Reply)

Funny Naija Street / Area Names / Scarification In African Cultures / Complex Genetic Ancestry Of Americans Uncovered.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.