Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Truth & Reconciliation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Truth & Reconciliation (1482 Views)

Genuine Reconciliation Between The East And Nigeria - Way Forward / Jonathan Storms Out Of Reconciliation Meeting; Accuses Obasanjo Of Being Behind / 21 PDP Governors Boycott Reconciliation Meeting In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Truth & Reconciliation by NegroNtns(m): 4:04pm On Dec 05, 2008
From Lucabrasi on another thread,

". . .these are the kinds of issues we should be looking more closely at to identify these fanning the embers of discord and hatered amongst the different ethnicities rather than allowing some politicians to deceive us"

I have wanted to ask members of NL a question but kept holding off and waiting to gauge the measure of response that will come out of the Jos uprising to see the extent of the resulting polarity. We live in a mix but because our interaction here is for most part at the mental level we can insulate the emotions and the physical from a lot of tensions that would otherwise be the outcome if we were in physical contact. In your response to this thread, I beg you to bring that same mental acuity to bear so that your opinion and insights on this question can positively add value and enrich the dialogue. I am not dismissing the various emotions and anger over the incidences and or the political state of the country, however there is a minimal cushion of tolerance left for the Igbos to continue to accomodate targeted victimization.

We have seen increase in the call for a second rise of Biafra, though I disagree in that approach as a solution, nonetheless I agree with those that want Nigeria dissolved. There are many ideas in my head - and I'm sure in your's too - for the way forward. Let's take a moment here and tackle a primary issue, that of commonality. As you can see in the opening quote, I am not the only person that have this view. It's a popular view, even though many of you have not expressed it, you without doubt advocate for it. Share yourself with us on the topic of TRUTH & RECONCILIATION.

We need a common point of rallying for our country, a shared patriotism that lepas beyond tribal boundaries. What is it? If you don't believe there is one, then what can you think of that could become one? Here is mine at the bottom -

NAME - Name is a powerful value in our culture. It has ancestry and legacy, it is the past, the present and the future and it is invoked for spiritual intercedence. The name of the country, NIGERIA, should be changed and it should be given a new name that each region can satisfactorily identify with. Nigeria does not have any meaning in any of our indigenous dialects. We do not identify with it as our legacy and thus we failed to see it as our past, our present or as our future. I propose that we hold a national review and change the name.

What is your idea for our commonality?
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by lucabrasi(m): 5:55pm On Dec 05, 2008
ill quickly make a few comments due to my quote on there so there wont be any ambiguity in statements or quotes,
you wrote that you dont agree with the people agitating for secession which i agree with you in totality on,however i do not agree that what is going on is enough to conclusively decide that nigerians as a whole do not have anything in common.

you asked for something or an objective that will transcend ethnic boundaries and my answer is a simple word"PATRIOTISM"
the chinese were patriotic that is why they r still together in spite of what they have gone through,same as so many other countries who are doing fine presently,if we had genuine love for our country and total patriotism then we will stick it out and collectively do whatever it takes to bring nigeria out of the doldrums, thailand is almost half of nigeria in population yet young men and women protested with stones and sticks to remove a pm, same as south korea whose young men and women protested and removed their leader so what excuse do we have for condoning corrupt politicians who not only siphon our moneys abroad but worse still have no qualms about paying brainwashed and disillutioned poverty striken almajiris to cause mayhem and promote tribal hatred and bigotry all because they either want an unfavourable result upturned or remain in their seats.

we all do not necessarily need to die for our country,but should have the mind set that we will do anything it takes to make nigeria great and damn the odds rather than calling for secession at every challenge we are facing, rwanda have not called for secession and we know what they have gone through
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by NegroNtns(m): 7:04pm On Dec 05, 2008
. . . and if you were giving a speech or writing an article on PATRIOTISM, how would you persuade that cohesion given the NIGERIAN political and cultural climate?

No two countries are the same given similar circumstance, there are situations we handle much better than other people and in which they point to us as models. We kill each other for political losses but unlike many other countries we do not go on rampage and kill opponents for losses on the sports field.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by bawomolo(m): 7:56pm On Dec 05, 2008
Nigeria does not have any meaning in any of our indigenous dialects. We do not identify with it as our legacy and thus we failed to see it as our past, our present or as our future. I propose that we hold a national review and change the name.

so how exactly did a name change help congo or burma?
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Pataki: 8:03pm On Dec 05, 2008
bawomolo:

Good question!

@ Lucabrasi,

You mentioned Patriotism, who exactly are we going to be patriotic to? Nigeria that is a failed nation. In my own view, patriotism is not the way out. It could seem as if it is, but in total terms retrospectively and now it has never worked and it will not work.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by lucabrasi(m): 3:36am On Dec 06, 2008
@pataki
we are going to be patriotic to the entity called nigeria, well it worked in india and china especially, patriotism is about believing in one's country irrespective of what anyone says to the contrary,and doing all i can to make it better which a lot of nigerians are not doing at the moment both home and abroad, there is suffering in china but the most poverty striken chinese man or woman,the marginalised chinese from the han tribe will rather live and die in china than give up on their country, that is patriotism
@negro ntns
personally i dont think anything i say can actually change the heart and mind of any nigerian,the most i think any single individual can do is challenge individuals on their own or collectively to believe in their country and actually strive hard and true to make their country great, it took obama to wake millions of americans up,it took mao to wake the chinese up
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by bawomolo(m): 4:08am On Dec 06, 2008
patriotism is china. really??
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by NegroNtns(m): 4:45am On Dec 06, 2008

Bawomolo,

We do not need to look for our examples in failed models. We should seek our path in the examples of those that tried it and succeeded. There are few of them.

personally i don't think anything i say can actually change the heart and mind of any nigerian

Lucabrasi,

Remember, we complement one another. There are those of us that are strongly tactical but can’t be bothered with the strategy and need someone to show them the way; and there are some in us who have the power of vision but lack the practicality to execute their own ideas and must depend on others to implement the goal, yet amongst us are those who are strong in communication and power of influence and can energize the crowd but really don't know what else to do with the people until they are shown by someone else how to control human resource. If each of us would commit to what s/he is best at and pass the problem task to the next stage of ownership then it will be a easy and team effort that could in turn become a nationalized movement and a galvanizing point for changing our country.

@Post,

If anyone is wondering how the Thai people forced their government out of power without violence, I just told you . . .
. . .it took obama to wake millions of americans up
- complementary effort of grassroot movement powered by a few. Let us be that few.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by bawomolo(m): 6:19am On Dec 06, 2008
Bawomolo,

We do not need to look for our examples in failed models. We should seek our path in the examples of those that tried it and succeeded. There are few of them.

and what makes you think it would be successful in Nigeria? English is Nigeria's lingua franca and there's no reason the country's name should be changed. you are just adding makeup to the problem. which language would the new name be?
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 6:47am On Dec 06, 2008
You got it right "Negro_Ntns" and this is what I told some Nigerians in another forum but no good response as they prefare talking about "waste of time things" instead one replies me and said Nigeria needs love, I don't even know what to say, in this poverty,hunger,pain and agony, can love work?

Their is something I don't just understand but occurs to me maybe the juju wey the politicians dey use na him make Nigerian no soji to react cus I can't just imagine knowing the truth and where the problems is copming from but just can't or not doing anything, But anyway I just believe the solution and the positive change for Nigeria lies in the hands of the Nigeria youths, (new generation).  I'm they can do better than all this senseless,stupid and selfish leaders we have in the government, I would know how the solution will be but a new independent-selected-committee or organisation will be a way to create strong foundation with Nigerian and foriegn supports who will all together debate on the steps on Nigerian rulers (AKIDADIDANI) on wether to be wildrawed (president,governnors and senates) or represent and monetor the whole govermental system in Nigeria till further conclusion is made.

We just have to stand up and make a positive change , the more the damage, the more harder it becomes to resolve.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by NegroNtns(m): 7:57am On Dec 06, 2008
Charles,

I see that the seed for change is already planted. Change is difficult, we desire new things but not if it requires sacrificing old and familiar ways. Through persistent persuasion and demonstrated outcomes people will begin to yield to favorable gains. Stay around, you have a role, I have a role, other people will share this view and join in with their roles and we all will need each other to execute for incremental but measurable outcomes.

and what makes you think it would be successful in Nigeria? English is Nigeria's lingua franca and there's no reason the country's name should be changed. you are just adding makeup to the problem. which language would the new name be?

Are you familiar with Lagos Island? There is a street called DOCEMO Street. The correct spelling is DOSUNMU and not DOCEMO. It’s an Edo name but belongs to Oba Dosunmu of Lagos. In the late 1800s the Governor-General of Lagos Protectorate at the time commemorated the street in honor of the King.

Can we do anything for ourselves without asking the Queen’s permission or sending a delegate to London to see if okay to abandon Anglo-Saxon in favor of a return to our ancestry? We were not the only ones colonized and we are not the only country that speak Queen’s grammar. India returned to the practice of ancestral philosophies and languages. So did Iran. We know where they are today and thats where we want to head in terms of nationalism. Let’s take examples that worked.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 8:15am On Dec 06, 2008
Thank you for your words "Negro_Ntns" and it will be my greatest plessure to contribute to make a positive change to Nigeria. Well I wish to be a little bit clearer in your statement cus I dont seem to get it clear enough. Sure it takes sacrifise in which I know and thats its just we all just have to take and fight for cus it doesnt seem like we have any other choice being the fact our leaders are too blind to see people are not in good positions instead they still steal the money and the most annoying thing is that they invest abroad making Nigeria system collapsing and people there suffering more and more.

I wish Nigeria opens their eyes and stand up for their rights, but I think the politician's juju is just too powerful or what?
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by lucabrasi(m): 4:32pm On Dec 06, 2008
@bawomolo
ill turn your comment on its head and ask you what country in your opinion can be said to be patriotic if you disagree china is?
@negro ntns
putting it that way,i totally agree with you that we all have our various parts to play in the emergence of a new nigeria,but digressing slightly i think getting rid of the cynism and general disbelief will prolly be the hardest thing to do than anything else, because we nigerians are so conditioned to "it wont work" "not possible"
once we can get rid of that mentality and have a "can do"attitude in all things coupled with true and enduring patriotism,i think we could move mountains,another thing is the cancer of tribalism that has eaten deep into our system,it has so affected us that we dont even think and evaluate issues coherently just because of our inherent hatred for each other, using the various northern sporadic skirmishes as an example,if you look through all the threads on here,99.9% of us have called for knee jerk violent reactions and secession without even independently and objectively looking at these issues and profering solutions, these actually makes me worried than any other problem
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 5:44pm On Dec 06, 2008
That is true and u r right about that, Well to me if they atleast can use that violence reaction in a public annoucement and create public awearness maybe it might even help make things faster by creating an image of Nigeria's situation to the Africa and also the rest of the world.

From their its a step my brothers,

I just know for sure that Nigeria's case wont be easy and smooth to resolve,
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by NegroNtns(m): 6:27am On Dec 07, 2008
We should begin the discussion on this by defining what the GOAL should be. To help in your definition here are few clues. These questions are not surveys, they are clues, a simple aid or check list to help formulate the wording or the result you desire to see. After the idea is formulated then respond with your GOAL or the OBJECTIVE that you will like to see accomplished with this effort.

1. Is something wrong with the way Nigeria is governed today, YES or NO?
2. Would you like to see a change and what should that change be?
3. Should Nigeria be dissolved or do you believe that given the right people in leadership and the proper agenda, a patriotic commitment can bring about sustainable change for all regions?
4. Who should have the democratic power to effect policy, the people or their government?

I used the same clues above and here is my response :

OUR GOAL
- Engage the human element and invest in a complete overhaul of the political and socio-economic landscape of Nigeria through active and dynamic empowerement of its indigenous citizens.

On a separate note, I want to ask the moderators here and Seun in particular that, I intend to turn this discussion into a political movement for transformation on the ground and before it is fully unwrapped I am interested in knowing if this will be tolerated and accomodated on NAIRALAND or do I need to move it elsewhere. It will be everything except this:

WHAT IT IS NOT = This is not a anti-government movement. It does not seek overthrow, coup, impeachment, war or riots.

WHAT IT IS = It is a voice for communicating legitimate grievance and seeking resolution that produces reasonable and widely accepted satisfaction on the ground.

Thanks.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 6:14pm On Dec 07, 2008
1. Is something wrong with the way Nigeria is governed today, YES or NO? - YES.

2. Would you like to see a change and what should that change be? - YES.

3. Should Nigeria be dissolved or do you believe that given the right people in leadership and the proper agenda, a patriotic commitment can bring about sustainable change for all regions? - DISSOLVED.

4. Who should have the democratic power to effect policy, the people or their government? - THE PEOPLE.

I this is a nice question that will bring the issue of the solution, So what will now be the solution (the way out), I believe Nigeria must first take control of the situation (create a committee, supported by a foriegn commissions) then this will lead to gradual improvement and way of executing the present and past politicians in government that has and have being involved in any criminal or ilegal act.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by lucabrasi(m): 9:04pm On Dec 07, 2008
there is a lot wrong with the way nigeria is presently governed,but what i see most alarming is our collective complacency and despondence as nigerians to the situation.
the change i ll advocate for nigeria is us shedding our complacency and believing in change,not the obama change as i really dont ant to sound too cliche,but change in the way we approach issues instead of injecting tribalism,change in the way we vote our leaders in, we should stop collecting bribes and vote our conscience, if we want to vote the best people in or else collecting 200 naira will continue to empower godfathers to annoint their chosen candidates and we really wont have a say because we have collected our pay off,
we should be patriotic and always stand up for and always work for the betterment of nigeria,secession from whichever tribal affiliation is not patriotsm!
i have more solutions but i believe these few are great starts on a road to socio political,economic recovery.
nigeria should not be dissolved because dissolving nigeria wouldnt really solve the endemic corruption which has eaten deep into our very psyche, if we dissolve and get divided into a million different states,the same problems will still be prevalent in these nation states as the very politicians,business men/women ,technocrats are from all the tribes in nigeria, true commitment to the experiment called nigeria.
the reason why i reckon we are sceptical about democracy in nigeria is because of its attendant negatives and its perception based on the current leadership, i believe a true and purely uncorrupted form of democracy will work in nigeria and is the way to go towards empowering the people into making the choices in their own political and socio economic self determination
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 9:19pm On Dec 07, 2008
Why cant we create a foundation or organisation, we can make it strong,

people who are interested or not should make opinions and lets see how it goes,
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by NegroNtns(m): 12:44pm On Dec 08, 2008
So what will now be the solution (the way out), I believe Nigeria must first take control of the situation (create a committee, supported by a foriegn commissions) then this will lead to gradual improvement and way of executing the present and past politicians in government that has and have being involved in any criminal or ilegal act.

Charles,

I like that word "gradual improvement", a creeping but ground solid build up, very inspiring! Thanks! cheesy

Part of the problem that we want to resolve and restore is human dignity. Our politicians are college graduates but their academic discipline have not empowered them to practice philosophical leadership. They understand how to rule but they lack understanding on how to lead. They are conducting themselves in manners that they witnessed their predecessors ruled. They do not know any other way of doing it. The ones that have a different understanding and a desire to introduce philosophical living are few in number and are dwarfed by the multitude that are ignorant. So while I understand your sentiments on how to dispose past and current office holders that have victimized us and I must admit that I share your sentiment, however, we need to practice restraint and approach the issue with prudence.

Somehow, in a non-extreme way, they should be made to account but the method of accounting should equally leave allowance for their redemption. We want to win people to our side, not further alienate. We definitely want to be a model of leadership and not of rulership. Also, It's okay to have foreign sympathisers but foreign sponsorship or support will corrupt the cause.

there is a lot wrong with the way nigeria is presently governed,but what i see most alarming is our collective complacency and despondence as nigerians to the situation.
the change i ll advocate for nigeria is us shedding our complacency and believing in change,not the obama change as i really don't ant to sound too cliche,but change in the way we approach issues instead of injecting tribalism,change in the way we vote our leaders in, we should stop collecting bribes and vote our conscience, if we want to vote the best people in or else collecting 200 naira will continue to empower godfathers to annoint their chosen candidates and we really wont have a say because we have collected our pay off,
we should be patriotic and always stand up for and always work for the betterment of nigeria,secession from whichever tribal affiliation is not patriotsm!
i have more solutions but i believe these few are great starts on a road to socio political,economic recovery.
nigeria should not be dissolved because dissolving nigeria wouldnt really solve the endemic corruption which has eaten deep into our very psyche, if we dissolve and get divided into a million different states,the same problems will still be prevalent in these nation states as the very politicians,business men/women ,technocrats are from all the tribes in nigeria, true commitment to the experiment called nigeria.
the reason why i reckon we are sceptical about democracy in nigeria is because of its attendant negatives and its perception based on the current leadership, i believe a true and purely uncorrupted form of democracy will work in nigeria and is the way to go towards empowering the people into making the choices in their own political and socio economic self determination

Lucabrasi,

I can tell you have a lot to say, I see the depth and the eagerness. Please share. I know you are cautious not to overwhelm and turn off readers but you can build talking points and just throw them out here for now. Later we can revisit the points for elaborate dialogue and expansion.

I agree we are complacent. Our people have withstood years of oppression, generations have been born into the same stagnant system and lived through it and passed it on "as is" or worse, to successive generations. We are not trained for leadership. Somehow our parents and their parents before them and the ones before those saw Western culture as a successful society. Anything from the West was progressive and desirable. Truth is, not all of them are fine and dandy. White man did not come to Africa to teach us to be like him but he came to rule over us, he wanted us to have enough understanding, writing and reading, so we could be a better servant to him and his children. When he left and our people took over, the same expectation of servitude was practiced and in fact expanded. Our rulers are black and look like us but they govern us in exact same fashion that the White man intended. To change that, we need academicians that are willing to learn leadership and practice leadership. Leaders that are willing to be of service to the people, instead of expecting the people to serve them. We must educate and have information to raise awareness. The local media will be our partner in that.

There is no true and uncorrupted democracy anywhere in the world but sharing in your spirit of optimism I believe we can make ours far better than what it is currently and rise out of the stagnancy and into dynamism.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 2:51pm On Dec 09, 2008
Thank you "Negro_Ntns", I have always seen your points from your words to develop Nigeria. We are clear and we all know the main thing, "NIGERIA IS CORRUPT DUE TO BAD POLITICIANS IN GOVERNMENT"

So I guess the main thing now is, we want a change ? YES

How and when , I have said my opinion (creating a foundation/group/society/organisation/commission with foriegn supports).

so I want people and others to contribute on how to make this movement possible. (movement to make Nigeria better).
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by texazzpete(m): 3:07pm On Dec 09, 2008
Charlesmud:

Thank you "Negro_Ntns", I have always seen your points from your words to develop Nigeria. We are clear and we all know the main thing, "NIGERIA IS CORRUPT DUE TO BAD POLITICIANS IN GOVERNMENT"

One of the reasons why Nigeria is in a shambles is because we believe the above statement.
Corruption in Nigeria resides not only in the Elite, but in nearly all strata of the Nigerian society. Corruption has become a way of life, a means to an end and the holy grail of personal satisfaction.
There is little difference between the Minister stealing millions, the Principal siphoning school funds, the enterpreneur who does not pay salaries for months and the market women who use the bottom of the tin cup to measure rice.

Take nairaland as an example. Any topic on taxes and 419 shows that a huge chunk of our youth are in favour of tax evasion and offer tacit support for Yahoo yahoo. yet we still hide under the self-righteous belief that 'corruption of politicians is killing the country'

There's a reason songs glorifying corruption and ill-gotten wealth like 'Yahoozee' and 'Maga don pay' are chart toppers in Nigeria. And it's not because of politicians. It's the ordinary youths out there that are grooving to these insidious lyrics.
Even if we kill all the politicians alive today, the youth of today are far more greedy that their precursors.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Muza(m): 3:28pm On Dec 09, 2008
The youths will even be worse than our present leaders,what hope do we have? cry
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by lucabrasi(m): 4:25pm On Dec 09, 2008
@negro
ill resist the temptation of just going on and on,simply because the most important thing from what i have seen of Nigerian is stimulating the generality, i think we have the fight in us to face any leadership to a stand still, i reckon repeated betrayals of the people even after they have gone through a lot has reduced most nigerians to sceptics, quick example, look at the number of nigerians who died during the 1993 riots for abiola?when abiola came back from exile and he was told,his remark was that"he didn't send anyone to go on the streets to riot"
what foundation or compensation has kola abiola set up or foundation to help the victims, imagine families who have lost their bread winners since 93 without any compensation now being told again to fight, they ll feel reluctant

so i really think stimulating the people,voter education, educating them on the realities of what is going on is the key,another thing i have noticed is that we Nigerians love unnecessary duplication of agencies, do a quick count of anti corruption,human rights e.t.c agencies/organisations in nigeria and you ll be suprised why things have not changed yet.
everyoner wants to be called a president general secretary of an agency,

there are different reasons why nigerians do this
1.some do it in the hope that they can attract grants either from the government or foreigns grants
2.some mean well but because of our egoistic nature will not work under an established organisation, preferring the title president ,gen secretary e.t.c hence the reason why you ll find some agencies don't have more than 10 members
3.they are pure money making agencies for some technocrats or politicians and are used solely for money laundry re is a popular agency run by a very influential nig w is being used for money laundry by ministers and other govt functionaries, quite popular too cant mention names for obvious reasons,
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 4:27pm On Dec 09, 2008
texazzpete:

Corruption in Nigeria resides not only in the Elite, but in nearly all strata of the Nigerian society. Corruption has become a way of life, a means to an end and the holy grail of personal satisfaction.
There is little difference between the Minister stealing millions, the Principal siphoning school funds, the enterpreneur who does not pay salaries for months and the market women who use the bottom of the tin cup to measure rice.
Take nairaland as an example. Any topic on taxes and 419 shows that a huge chunk of our youth are in favour of tax evasion and offer tacit support for Yahoo yahoo. yet we still hide under the self-righteous belief that 'corruption of politicians is killing the country'
There's a reason songs glorifying corruption and ill-gotten wealth like 'Yahoozee' and 'Maga don pay' are chart toppers in Nigeria. And it's not because of politicians. It's the ordinary youths out there that are grooving to these insidious lyrics.
Even if we kill all the politicians alive today, the youth of today are far more greedy that their precursors.

Yes you are right But there is something you don't get clear, If Nigeria government is good then the citizens wont be forced to the corruptive or improper acts. MInd you there is corruption everywhere but their is also limitations to it.

But the case of Nigeria's corruption is due to the bad governance, I am sure you understand that if people have 70-80 percent of the basic things the need in life, they wont be any reason for then to mis-act partake in any improper things. All is was the cus of the money not flowing around Nigeria and Nigeria which means the money goes to some selected people (government officials and politicians and their family), So how do you want others to survive when they don't have and no hope of having ?

GOVERNMENT IS THE CAUSE !!!

lucabrasi:

ill resist the temptation of just going on and on,simply because the most important thing from what i have seen of Nigerian is stimulating the generality, i think we have the fight in us to face any leadership to a stand still, i reckon repeated betrayals of the people even after they have gone through a lot has reduced most nigerians to sceptics, quick example, look at the number of nigerians who died during the 1993 riots for abiola?when abiola came back from exile and he was told,his remark was that"he didn't send anyone to go on the streets to riot"
what foundation or compensation has kola abiola set up or foundation to help the victims, imagine families who have lost their bread winners since 93 without any compensation now being told again to fight, they ll feel reluctant
so i really think stimulating the people,voter education, educating them on the realities of what is going on is the key,another thing i have noticed is that we Nigerians love unnecessary duplication of agencies, do a quick count of anti corruption,human rights e.t.c agencies/organisations in nigeria and you ll be suprised why things have not changed yet.
everyoner wants to be called a president general secretary of an agency,
there are different reasons why nigerians do this
1.some do it in the hope that they can attract grants either from the government or foreigns grants
2.some mean well but because of our egoistic nature will not work under an established organisation, preferring the title president ,gen secretary e.t.c hence the reason why you ll find some agencies don't have more than 10 members
3.they are pure money making agencies for some technocrats or politicians and are used solely for money laundry re is a popular agency run by a very influential nig w is being used for money laundry by ministers and other govt functionaries, quite popular too can't mention names for obvious reasons,

You are right but were are suggesting a different form or way out, first not from any government influences or partnership due to there connection to the same corrupted victims.

We are talking on is making a new generated form of organisation/party/society/group or what so ever backing up with a foriegn agencies or organisation or even commission for it to be strong and stable. This 2 combination will be an open access to the public and always make whatever they do on public and majority demand or request or even opinion.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by bawomolo(m): 4:48pm On Dec 09, 2008
If Nigeria government is good then the citizens wont be forced to the corruptive or improper acts. MInd you there is corruption everywhere but their is also limitations to it.

The Nigerian government can't be good until the citizens change and demand change.  who do you think makes up the government? a bunch of robots.  most politicians can't survive without the support they get from market women, agbero and motor-park touts.  I think Nigerians need to start taking grassroot politics serious. most Nigerians don't know who their LG charmain, state senator or federal representative is.  These people directly impact your lives and there our eyes should be on them.  presidential election shouldn't be the only election you care about.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 5:02pm On Dec 09, 2008
bawomolo:

The Nigerian government can't be good until the citizens change and demand change.

You have said it all and just exactly what I said ,

So the fact we dont have a good governance (and no sign to be better in future), How can we come together to demand for a positive change ?
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by texazzpete(m): 5:20pm On Dec 09, 2008
Charlesmud:

Yes you are right But there is something you don't get clear, If Nigeria government is good then the citizens wont be forced to the corruptive or improper acts. MInd you there is corruption everywhere but their is also limitations to it.

But the case of Nigeria's corruption is due to the bad governance, I am sure you understand that if people have 70-80 percent of the basic things the need in life, they wont be any reason for then to mis-act partake in any improper things. All is was the cus of the money not flowing around Nigeria and Nigeria which means the money goes to some selected people (government officials and politicians and their family), So how do you want others to survive when they don't have and no hope of having ?

GOVERNMENT IS THE CAUSE !!!

Pah!
So explain why at least 70% of the boys doing Yahoo Yahoo are still in secondary school or are undergraduates, people who have not yet had a taste of the harsh realities of life on their own.

Whether governmen is the cause or not, corruption has taken root in Nigeria. it has since been enshrined as a way of life. This scheme of yours is doomed to failure because when the time comes Nigerians never have the spine to take a stand.

And please, don't even mention Thailand. We all know such a thing will hardly be possible in Nigeria.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 5:33pm On Dec 09, 2008
texazzpete:

Pah!
So explain why at least 70% of the boys doing Yahoo Yahoo are still in secondary school or are undergraduates, people who have not yet had a taste of the harsh realities of life on their own.
Whether governmen is the cause or not, corruption has taken root in Nigeria. it has since been enshrined as a way of life. This scheme of yours is doomed to failure because when the time comes Nigerians never have the spine to take a stand.
And please, don't even mention Thailand. We all know such a thing will hardly be possible in Nigeria.

Nigeria youths grow up to know and see Nigeria is of know good, grow up to understand fraud is the way to survive, grow up to see corruption happening from every angle. To back it up , they see nothing is being done to the corrupters.

This as being the popular and widely spread mentality of today's youth and I dont blame them cus all is due to the corruption that has been and still present in Nigeria government (both past and present leaders) and seeing that there is know hope for a better future for Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by lucabrasi(m): 7:33pm On Dec 09, 2008
bawomolo:

I think Nigerians need to start taking grassroot politics serious. most Nigerians don't know who their LG charmain, state senator or federal representative is. These people directly impact your lives and there our eyes should be on them. presidential election shouldn't be the only election you care about.
not when they have sold their conscience for 300naira per vote, just like any businessman if you sell me your vote and demand hundreds of millions while i am campaigning then you cant stand on a moral highground holding me responsible for re couping my losses, if the average nigerian is not educated on why they should stop collecting money then things would continue the way they are even if they know who their leaders are, the cost of campaigns impacts on the type of leadership one gets, theres a reason why campaign funding is taken very seriouys and pegged in western democracy
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 3:05am On Dec 10, 2008
lucabrasi:

not when they have sold their conscience for 300naira per vote, just like any businessman if you sell me your vote and demand hundreds of millions while i am campaigning then you can't stand on a moral highground holding me responsible for re couping my losses, if the average nigerian is not educated on why they should stop collecting money then things would continue the way they are even if they know who their leaders are, the cost of campaigns impacts on the type of leadership one gets, theres a reason why campaign funding is taken very seriouys and pegged in western democracy

Means the solution lies in our hands, Yes this is also part of it but is this the step to take now ?
Do we have to wait for the next election and vote on who we want while we know that whoever PDP or AC wants in power will still get there ?

I dont 100% blame those who buy or sell vote, all is due to poverty and they dont seem to find a way out since know Nigerian is talking or helping the situation.

I believe we all still have to come together to make a positive change, vote or no vote, sell or buy vote. It is all because of poverty, If things are good and everybody with good advantage of good life then am sure that wont happen in the first place.

We have to eradicate poverty, only then will the little corrupted citizens stop their improper acts which is all cursed by the government.
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by lucabrasi(m): 5:01pm On Dec 10, 2008
i blame these who sell votes because lets be honest here, 300 or 500 even 1000 is not enough to last a bachelor more than 2 days talk less of a family man or woman, so is 2 days feeding enough to sell one's conscience for years of perpetual slavery?
once the average nigerian starts to reject these pittance then they are ready to actually vote their conscience and people of their choice in, the fact of the matter is that when the people are ready to have their way,no government executive can resist especially in nigeria where iam 110% sure even the police army and other forces will join in condemning the government
Re: Truth & Reconciliation by Charlesmud(m): 5:21pm On Dec 10, 2008
lucabrasi:

i blame these who sell votes because lets be honest here, 300 or 500 even 1000 is not enough to last a bachelor more than 2 days talk less of a family man or woman, so is 2 days feeding enough to sell one's conscience for years of perpetual slavery?

First, Are you saying we have to wait for Nigerians to stop selling their votes ? which will take place 2011 or 2015 ?

Before we can do something positive to make a change for a better Nigeria, do we have to wait till then, when we all know the curse and see the signs its not getting better ,

lucabrasi:

the fact of the matter is that when the people are ready to have their way,no government executive can resist especially in nigeria where iam 110% sure even the police army and other forces will join in condemning the government

And when will this happen next generation or 2050?

Why is their so much poverty endurance in Nigerians? why cant we just do something since we know the main issue and know where the problems comes from,

GREECE is doing the same thing THAILAND did, Greece is presently rioting and asking for their prime minister to step down all because he wants to create private universities and cus of the huge gap between rich and poor, means the money is not spreading to all the citizens, (which is the same thing in Nigeria But we dont do anything).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Vote Gej/pdp Cohorts And See Inflation Destroy Our Naira / The SE Must Get Either The Senate President Or Speaker Of House Of Rep / Terrorism - Briton, Italian Kidnapped In Northwestern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.