Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,576 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

My Message To All First Time Voters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Message To All First Time Voters (519 Views)

Rivers Re-run: What Amechi Said On Radio And MY Message To The APC, / Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation / Man Caught With 2,000 Voters Cards In Mimiko’s Ward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Message To All First Time Voters by hischoice(m): 12:48pm On Dec 14, 2014
Dear First Time Voters,

To the young first-time voters, congratulations. You finally have a go at making an employment decision for who occupies the highest office in your country. We, old voters, have failed you - reason the nation is bleeding today. So don’t take our advice on who to vote for.

But I can share with you what mistakes we made and how we made them, if that would help in shaping your decision.

A middle-aged man came to us towards the end of 2010. He said he had no shoes. Truth be told, he was not lying. But then, he wanted more than a thousand pair of shoes. He wanted us to put the next four years of our lifetime (and yours!) into his hands. Fellow-feeling driven, we didn't ask him what he intended doing with our excess crude reserve, we also didn't remember to invite him to one of our universities to meet our undergraduates - engage them in deep intellectual discussions and ultimately re-ignite some hope in them. After all, he was carrying a PhD and was their lecturer until about a decade before.

We were just swept away by…nothing, vagueness, blurriness. Don’t mind me, it’s only that looking back, I regret we didn't have anything to hold him accountable for, should he fail to manage our company (our country) well.

Now, he would win us hands-down in any court of law if we press for charges.

Instead of discussing the job descriptions and how he would fit into it, we were finding faults in this other applicant; a more elderly man who had done a similar job before. “He does not practice our religion. Look at him, he looks old and frail. Don’t give him the job; he will turn his back on us later. He prays five times a day. Can we afford that?” We all said that. I said that too.

Yes, we gave our man the job. And yes, it turned out he didn't know the name of the office he occupied. I’m not joking. If he did, he wouldn't be counting the increase in pass rate at O'level examinations as an achievement.

Now, his contract is over. He wants a renewal. I ask for his scorecard. First thing that worries me on the list is the unending number of road projects he claims we are embarking. He notices my dissatisfaction; and quickly says I could come and see the roads for myself. "I need not." I screamed at him. "Two thousand seven hundred kilometers of road in total under construction, yet our Civil Engineering graduates are roaming the streets – Doesn't add up, my friend!” What more proofs do I need that those projects aren't touching lives?

I have since thrown the papers at him. He failed!

This is one important point in the history of this country. And every first time voter should count himself lucky to be a part of the formulators of what is to become the future of Nigeria. A little apprehension is okay. A few nerves too. It is caused by the moment we are in. Now is NOT the time to listen to your parents. If they knew what is right, they would have made better electioneering decisions in time past; and Nigeria would not be where she is today.

This is your decision to make. Only yours. Read wide. Engage your thoughts deeply. Stay off NTA.

If you do those and still vote the incumbent, then, I will respect your decision.

Yours,

A much older voter.

(1) (Reply)

Gov Fayose Distributing Chicken And Rice To Police Officers / Buhari Or Jonathan? / Happy New Year To All Buhari-osinbajo Supporters.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.