Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (325742 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 7:01pm On Apr 10, 2018
myport:
Hello great scholars on the forum, please I require collaborative support to achieve my PHD quest. I am a Phd candidate, due to age and some other constraints I am considering PhD by publication in a UK university. Based on this I have been mandated to have at least 3 co authorship journals and 2 single for application consideration.

PhD is in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. With research focus on effect of Sharing economy on SME and Entrepreneurial growth with focus on artisans in developing economies.

I hereby through this forum seek for co- authorship in a reputable international journal, from any one who is interested in this topic. My options are also open to book chapters authorship.

If I may ask, you are in what stage of your PhD? Who gave this requirement? Your supervisor or the university?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Matinoh: 11:50pm On Apr 10, 2018
hello wip7 . Good work you are doing here and I really appreciate your effort. I'm a very young lad in my early twenties and also a fresh petroleum engineering graduate yet to serve. I have really searched the web for MSc courses with funding abroad but got to see mostly direct PhD ( US, minimum of 5yrs) with guaranteed funding, monthly stipends etc. I'm swerving from petroleum engineering to either cyber security or data science/analytics. I really want to know which of the aforementioned courses will complement my petroleum engineering degree. Considering the fact that I have little or no knowledge about programming/IT, I'm kinda skeptical if I will be able to cope in any of these departments. And I would also like to know if I even have any chance of getting admitted. Thanks alot Sir.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by honey001(m): 5:53am On Apr 11, 2018
myport:
Hello great scholars on the forum, please I require collaborative support to achieve my PHD quest. I am a Phd candidate, due to age and some other constraints I am considering PhD by publication in a UK university. Based on this I have been mandated to have at least 3 co authorship journals and 2 single for application consideration.

PhD is in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. With research focus on effect of Sharing economy on SME and Entrepreneurial growth with focus on artisans in developing economies.

I hereby through this forum seek for co- authorship in a reputable international journal, from any one who is interested in this topic. My options are also open to book chapters authorship.

Presently am studying MTech in Entrepreneurship and Business studies in one of the Nigerian University, One of my lecturer had PhD in Entrepreneurship and Innovation in one of the university in the UK, Maybe I can link her with you?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by myport: 8:23am On Apr 11, 2018
wip7:

If I may ask, you are in what stage of your PhD? Who gave this requirement? Your supervisor or the university?

Thanks wip7 for your response, I am a candidate seeking admission. The position is that of the coordinator of the PhD program in the school.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by myport: 8:26am On Apr 11, 2018
honey001:

Presently am studying MTech in Entrepreneurship and Business studies in one of the Nigerian University, One of my lecturer had PhD in Entrepreneurship and Innovation in one of the university in the UK, Maybe I can link her with you?

Honey001 I appreciate you for this and would look forward to hearing from you. Which invariably means I am interested in speaking with the lecturer. Remain blessed.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by honey001(m): 10:04am On Apr 11, 2018
myport:

Honey001 I appreciate you for this and would look forward to hearing from you. Which invariably means I am interested in speaking with the lecturer. Remain blessed.

Alright sir.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 12:57pm On Apr 11, 2018
Matinoh:
hello wip7 . Good work you are doing here and I really appreciate your effort. I'm a very young lad in my early twenties and also a fresh petroleum engineering graduate yet to serve. I have really searched the web for MSc courses with funding abroad but got to see mostly direct PhD ( US, minimum of 5yrs) with guaranteed funding, monthly stipends etc. I'm swerving from petroleum engineering to either cyber security or data science/analytics. I really want to know which of the aforementioned courses will complement my petroleum engineering degree. Considering the fact that I have little or no knowledge about programming/IT, I'm kinda skeptical if I will be able to cope in any of these departments. And I would also like to know if I even have any chance of getting admitted. Thanks alot Sir.

Personally, I may advise you go for the Master of Engineering Management. This will enable you to fit in most engineering field specifically where both engineering and management skills/experience will be utilized.

Regarding, cyber security or data science/analytics: Based on my personal experience, exposure and trends, Data analysis is a recent and growing region that almost all organizations require these days. However, you may not need to have a degree in Data analysis to become a data analyst. Lots of free and affordable short courses online regarding data analyses. I have practical knowledge and applicable skills in Data Science. I learn all online, some free and some paid 6 months and I got Google development scholarship as well for data science training.

What will you need to do? You will need to have personal computer and access to the internet and strong willingness to learn and practicalize.

You will need to start by learning python language and R, then Work on real-life data science problems.

So how do you learn? this will depend on your long and short-term goals: Do you want to follow data science for skill track or career track?

Data Science/analysis: the career tracks cover everything you need to kickstart your career, from intro courses to most advanced offerings.While the skill tracks are shorter and let you specialize in a specific area, like data visualization or statistics.

After you decide, then start to learn basic Python and R packages. Then, focus your python and R towards data manipulation and machine learning. That way you can decide to become a data analyst, data scientist or data engineer.

Best wishes

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 1:49pm On Apr 11, 2018
myport:

Thanks wip7 for your response, I am a candidate seeking admission. The position is that of the coordinator of the PhD program in the school.

Alright. Personally, I think that requirement is huge especially if the applicant does not have a sophisticated research background. Anyway, I may advise you start to work individually to first identify the specific research you are interested.

You can find lots of call for papers here and you can contribute to book chapters and book series also. Have a look here and see which interests you:

http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/authors/writing/calls.htm

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by LaifMedia: 2:59pm On Apr 11, 2018
Good day Scholars in the house,

I am an Intending Ph.D student, intending to work on "Anticancer Research using Cancer cell lines". Please is there any platform where i can get funding for this research. Your contribution will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 5:00pm On Apr 11, 2018
LaifMedia:
Good day Scholars in the house,

I am an Intending Ph.D student, intending to work on "Anticancer Research using Cancer cell lines". Please is there any platform where i can get funding for this research. Your contribution will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Will your research be experimental or clinical? What facilities do you have at your end and have you had verifiable research background in cancer research? Will your research be specific or general? Which continent are you located?

Answers to those questions will help you or people to tailor your source of funding.

On more personal note: is not enough to just be Phd applicant to start searching for funding when you have not taken courses at Phd level, design your research with your supervisor and learn the actual way to undertake research and get expose to research environment.

Getting funding requires a lot, especially external funding organizations will like to know if you have the research capability to undertake the proposed research, if you can complete and meet up with scientific deadlines, want to see verifiable records of research achievements and want to see how you allocate the budget for the research etc.

In brief, you can find couples of Research grants & Funding under Mendeley and also ESMO also provides some potential funding organizations for cancer related research.

Best wishes!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 7:09pm On Apr 11, 2018
Apply for the Green Brain of The Year Contest

REWARDS
Awards for high schools:

1st group:1000 euro
2nd group:750 Euro + TRNC Trip for 5 Finalist
3rd group: 500 Euro

Awards for universities:

1st group:1000 euro(per person)

2nd group:750 Euro (per person) + TRNC Trip for 5 Finalist

3rd group: 500 Euro (per person)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by BrightFuture48: 11:19pm On Apr 11, 2018
wip7:

Personally, I may advise you go for the Master of Engineering Management. This will enable you to fit in most engineering field specifically where both engineering and management skills/experience will be utilized.

Regarding, cyber security or data science/analytics: Based on my personal experience, exposure and trends, Data analysis is a recent and growing region that almost all organizations require these days. However, you may not need to have a degree in Data analysis to become a data analyst. Lots of free and affordable short courses online regarding data analyses. I have practical knowledge and applicable skills in Data Science. I learn all online, some free and some paid 6 months and I got Google development scholarship as well for data science training.

What will you need to do? You will need to have personal computer and access to the internet and strong willingness to learn and practicalize.

You will need to start by learning python language and R, then Work on real-life data science problems.

So how do you learn? this will depend on your long and short-term goals: Do you want to follow data science for skill track or career track?

Data Science/analysis: the career tracks cover everything you need to kickstart your career, from intro courses to most advanced offerings.While the skill tracks are shorter and let you specialize in a specific area, like data visualization or statistics.

After you decide, then start to learn basic Python and R packages. Then, focus your python and R towards data manipulation and machine learning. That way you can decide to become a data analyst, data scientist or data engineer.

Best wishes

Thanks Prof for this wonderful breakdown on data science course. I have really picked lots of info in there.

PLS I just sent you pm sir.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 4:20am On Apr 12, 2018
BrightFuture48:

Thanks Prof for this wonderful breakdown on data science course. I have really picked lots of info in there.

You are welcome. I responded to your pm
Re: Thread For PHD Students by mfarad(m): 7:13am On Apr 13, 2018
BrightFuture48:

Hi, if you're interested in data science, you can check out open source society university (OSSU) data science track on GitHub. It's a curated list of courses all over the internet that will bring you up to speed and it's mostly free... All the best!
https://github.com/ossu/data-science/blob/master/README.md

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by BrightFuture48: 11:52am On Apr 13, 2018
mfarad:

Hi, if you're interested in data science, you can check out open source society university (OSSU) data science track on GitHub. It's a curated list of courses all over the internet that will bring you up to speed and it's mostly free... All the best!
https://github.com/ossu/data-science/blob/master/README.md
Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by mfarad(m): 12:55pm On Apr 13, 2018
BrightFuture48:

Thanks for the link.
You're welcome.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Matinoh: 6:54am On Apr 15, 2018
wip7:

Best wishes

information is power. Thank you very much sir for this info. I read that engineering management is the engineering MBA lol.. I really appreciate

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by BrightFuture48: 10:17am On Apr 20, 2018
wip7:

There are bunch of research areas in computer science and computer engineering, however, you will be fine and competitive if you can direct your focus on the emerging research areas in computer science. Below are some of the interesting areas that is researchable in any clime you find yourself:

Emerging Research Areas in Computer Science/Engineering

1. Data Mining and Geographical Information Systems (GIS): Research in this area explores efficient storage and visualization of data for analysis and pattern discovery. You may direct your focus toward anomaly and pattern detection, spatial and scientific data mining for application domains like transportation, bioinformatics, cyber security, and smart sensor networks.

2. High Performance and Cloud Computing Security (Hot topic actually): Research in this area explores the development and analysis of parallel algorithms for distributed or multiprocessor systems. You may look at energy-aware cloud computing, Data and infrastructure security auditing in cloud computing environments and Vehicular cloud computing (will be very nice research area).

3. Robotics, Embedded systems and Artificial Intelligence (I am a chemist but I know this very well and I teach it as an undergrad course in my uni, I use the AI for drug, toxin detect etc): Several research here fall under the general umbrella of AI. Lot of hot research areas in computer vision, computational biology, and e-commerce and probabilistic language models for use in spoken language interfaces and motor information. Embedded systems are just so emerging that almost all countries need it these days: You can research: wearable computers, body sensor networks, intelligent sensory devices and deeply embedded wireless sensor systems.

4. Bioinformatics and Computational Biology: Research in this area explores the use of computational methods to better categorize, visualize, and model biological data and systems. This you have to work with medical, biology and health related units and AI can be incorporated.

All above research does not require special funding. You just need your computer skills, data and start working. When you publish something great and developed unique products you will get sponsors. For instance, in 2015: I designed magnetic nanomaterials that can selectively extract valuable materials from the sea and was targeting boron. After publishing 3 papers on that, I applied for Funding to Turkish Govt and I got 65,000USD, you can see all my work after then I have to report that this is sponsored by TUBITAK (Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) see one of my attached papers.

#Note: to get funding, it may require that your research area has potential, will solve problems and you might have demonstrated via publication. You may consult companies like google that fund research with potential, some pharmaceuticals that may be interested in case you are working on bioinformatics, some electronic companies in case you are working on embedded systems etc.

Also, look at various research grants provided by TWAS: twas.org/opportunities/research-grants ensure you check the eligibility and other details.

Best wishes!
This is very interesting sir. I must admit I have learnt a great deal from your write up. Firstly, I will like know to know how possible it is to research this area individually with one's computer and adequate data especially in Data Mining and Geographical Information System?

Secondly, how can one publish some of personal research findings and possible publication on acceptable journal? I mean a thorough guide towards communicating research outcome, though not yet PhD student but potential candidate sir!

Thanks for your help the other day sir.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by drhammed: 12:23pm On Apr 20, 2018
wip7,

Prof Sir, I'd like to ask if it's possible to proceed to PhD after a non-thesis M.Sc.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Re: Thread For PHD Students by platypelloid: 4:23pm On Apr 20, 2018
RESPECT SIRS.
Hello house , PLEASE THIS IS WHAT I GOT FROM ONE OF THE UNIVERSITIES THAT I APPLIED TO.
PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO NOW .
HOUSE KINDLY ADVISE ME??
SHOULD I GO REWRITE THE ENGLISH TESTS??
MY SCORE WAS S L W R : 8 7 7 5,AND THE SCHOOL SAYS NO COMPONENTS SHOULD BE BELOW 6.

The email below was sent to me by The school?? DOES THIS SYNONYMOUSLY MEAN THAT IF I CAN GET THE ENGLISH REQUIREMENTS,I HAVE AUTOMATICALLY GOTTEN THE ADMISSION?
HOUSE PLS HELP.

Dear O

Thank you for your interest in the PhD program. Your Fall 2018 application has been reviewed and is considered ineligible at this time because you did not meet one or more of our admission requirements.

International students must meet University minimums on English Proficiency to be considered for admission. If your score is below the minimum, we encourage you to retake the test. Once you meet the University minimum we will reconsider your application for admission. Please email us if you have uploaded a new score.

Please check the requirements for admission here.

If at any time you would no longer like to be considered for admission, please email us to withdraw your application.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 11:03pm On Apr 20, 2018
myport:

I will be interested...I intended working on pull and push entrepreneurship using a mixed method. But if you have a distinctive construct just mail me so we start... All the best...

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 7:13am On Apr 21, 2018
drhammed:
wip7,

Prof Sir, I'd like to ask if it's possible to proceed to PhD after a non-thesis M.Sc.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Good day,

Yes some universities will accept you directly into the PhD program with non-thesis master especially if the Phd program is course based. Also, if the non-thesis graduate applicant can demonstrate some verifiable research experience he/she will Ben taken in most universities irrespective of the thesis/non-thesis master.

The essence of thesis based, is for the students to gain some research experience that will prepare such student for doctoral research.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:01am On Apr 21, 2018
platypelloid:
RESPECT SIRS.
Hello house , PLEASE THIS IS WHAT I GOT FROM ONE OF THE UNIVERSITIES THAT I APPLIED TO.
PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO NOW .
HOUSE KINDLY ADVISE ME??
SHOULD I GO REWRITE THE ENGLISH TESTS??
MY SCORE WAS S L W R : 8 7 7 5,AND THE SCHOOL SAYS NO COMPONENTS SHOULD BE BELOW 6.

The email below was sent to me by The school?? DOES THIS SYNONYMOUSLY MEAN THAT IF I CAN GET THE ENGLISH REQUIREMENTS,I HAVE AUTOMATICALLY GOTTEN THE ADMISSION?
HOUSE PLS HELP.

Dear O

Thank you for your interest in the PhD program. Your Fall 2018 application has been reviewed and is considered ineligible at this time because you did not meet one or more of our admission requirements.

International students must meet University minimums on English Proficiency to be considered for admission. If your score is below the minimum, we encourage you to retake the test. Once you meet the University minimum we will reconsider your application for admission. Please email us if you have uploaded a new score.

You have impressive English score except the reading that falls below the required. From the tone of the response from the university, the English requirement is a major inhibiting block to your admission. You may carefully, study the requirements again regarding CGPA and discipline criteria. If you meet up with those two, then focus on enhancing the reading part of your English in your next exam.

Best wishes!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:29am On Apr 21, 2018
BrightFuture48:

This is very interesting sir. I must admit I have learnt a great deal from your write up. Firstly, I will like know to know how possible it is to research this area individually with one's computer and adequate data especially in Data Mining and Geographical Information System?

Secondly, how can one publish some of personal research findings and possible publication on acceptable journal? I mean a thorough guide towards communicating research outcome, though not yet PhD student but potential candidate sir!

Thanks for your help the other day sir.

It is possible for a personal computer to do any of these researches. You don't need NASA computers ooo. Regarding data mining, just pick any research that interests you, do lots of literature survey on it and ensure you have the appropriate skill sets for the programming aspect and start. Data mining is not like you digging a big hole with an excavator to mine Gold and Uranium grin. The data mining research can be directed towards the following fields:

Social media analytics
Signal processing
Energy efficiency
Medical science and neurogenetics
Government domain such as secure sockets.
Finance analysis (Customer behaviour prediction, Stock prediction and oil price forecasting etc)

Below are some researchable and emerging topics on data mining:

Fraud detection - This has been used by various banks and companies to eliminate internet scammers and Credit card racketeers. Developing algorithm or solution in this field will be useful to both the industries and academics.

Spam mail detection - This is well used by many companies including Google, Yahoo, Hotmail etc. This is based on the classification system, so you need to develop certain classifier and then train the classifier using users pre-selected spam mail to detect spams.

Product Efficiency and Market Analysis - In the era of social media marketing, lots of companies need a third or second party to help process their data from various social media platforms so as to measure reach and effectiveness of their campaign.

Medical field: This is hotcake and research in this area is really increasing. There are some works on the application of Data Mining in Diabetes Prediction, to identify ovarian cancer recurrence and early disease prediction using various classifiers.

Regarding publication of works: In the next post, I will give some links and hints to study, after which you shall obtain some certificates but the certificate will be useless if you don't publish grin and follow the researchers' doctrine.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by drhammed: 9:11am On Apr 21, 2018
wip7:

Good day,

Yes some universities will accept you directly into the PhD program with non-thesis master especially if the Phd program is course based. Also, if the non-thesis graduate applicant can demonstrate some verifiable research experience he/she will Ben taken in most universities irrespective of the thesis/non-thesis master.

The essence of thesis based, is for the students to gain some research experience that will prepare such student for doctoral research.
wow, Thank you Prof.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by BrightFuture48: 10:30am On Apr 21, 2018
wip7:

It is possible for a personal computer to do any of these researches. You don't need NASA computers ooo. Regarding data mining, just pick any research that interests you, do lots of literature survey on it and ensure you have the appropriate skill sets for the programming aspect and start. Data mining is not like you digging a big hole with an excavator to mine Gold and Uranium grin. The data mining research can be directed towards the following fields:

Social media analytics
Signal processing
Energy efficiency
Medical science and neurogenetics
Government domain such as secure sockets.
Finance analysis (Customer behaviour prediction, Stock prediction and oil price forecasting etc)

Below are some researchable and emerging topics on data mining:

Fraud detection - This has been used by various banks and companies to eliminate internet scammers and Credit card racketeers. Developing algorithm or solution in this field will be useful to both the industries and academics.

Spam mail detection - This is well used by many companies including Google, Yahoo, Hotmail etc. This is based on the classification system, so you need to develop certain classifier and then train the classifier using users pre-selected spam mail to detect spams.

Product Efficiency and Market Analysis - In the era of social media marketing, lots of companies need a third or second party to help process their data from various social media platforms so as to measure reach and effectiveness of their campaign.

Medical field: This is hotcake and research in this area is really increasing. There are some works on the application of Data Mining in Diabetes Prediction, to identify ovarian cancer recurrence and early disease prediction using various classifiers.

Regarding publication of works: In the next post, I will give some links and hints to study, after which you shall obtain some certificates but the certificate will be useless if you don't publish grin and follow the researchers' doctrine.

Many thanks Prof. I can understand it more clearly now.

Looking forward to your next post sir.

Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by alakaloko(m): 4:59pm On Apr 21, 2018
Good day to Ogun and osun people.. Please what Is the total number of public secondary schools in Ogun/osun state

I have search the internet to no avail. I will be glad to have a web link to this information as soon as possible.. Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Krisdng: 9:18pm On Apr 21, 2018
I have B.eng and M.eng in chemical engineering.Pls. what's the process for Ph.D application.Hoping to apply this year
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:23am On Apr 22, 2018
Steps to Publishing in a Reputable Journal

Some of these steps are a compilation from Personal/Springer/Elsevier publishing academy intended for doctoral students and other young scholars and meant to be a guide but not rule or universally bound. Publishing and communicating academic results is a vital step in the research lifecycle and in the career of academics/researchers. This helps to exchange one's ideas globally and thus ensure one's receives the recognition from the research or results.

1. Identify researchable topics, ensure you have the facilities and platforms: A good research paper starts long before writing the manuscript. First, identify emerging/hot topics and background reading of the question you are answering/trying to provide solutions to. Carefully formulate the study design/data collection avenue/sources, as well as ensuring you follow appropriate research laws and regulations, as all will contribute to making a publishable paper.

How can you identify a research question?

Begin by searching for and reading literature in your field of interest will be a starting point. Regular reading is the most common way of identifying a good research question. This enables you to keep up to date with recent advancements and identify unsolved problems or certain issues that keep appearing. You may start with general interest journals, but don’t limit yourself to journal publications only; you can also look for clues in the news or on research blogs. Once you have identified a few interesting topics, you should be reading the abstracts of most articles in that subject area and focus on recent works (1-9 years back). Readin in entirety the papers that are directly related to your research interests.

#TIP: Keep an eye out for Review papers and special issues in your chosen subject area as they are very helpful in discovering new areas and emerging/hot topics. Before you start, ensure you answered these questions: What are the best methods for achieving your research aims? and Do you have the necessary resources to carry out your methods?

Writing for academic journals is a highly competitive activity, and it’s important to understand that there could be several reasons for a rejection. After you have completed your research, the next is:

2. Do not rush submitting your article for publication: A proactive approach and attitude will reduce the chance of rejection and disappointment. The logical flow of activities dominates every research activity and should be followed for preparing a manuscript as well. Such activities include carefully re-reading your manuscript at different times and perhaps at different places. Re-reading is essential in the research field and helps identify the most common problems and shortcomings in the manuscript, which might otherwise be overlooked.Sometimes its very helpful for young researchers to share their manuscripts with more experienced colleagues with proven records of academic publishing in reputable journals and other senior researchers in that field to request their feedback.

3. Select an appropriate publication outlet for your work: Don't just submit the work that you laboured for to Hoax or Predatory Journals and Publishers. Also, do not attend Questionable Conferences that only want to collect your money. Many academics are eager to publish in worthless journals these days. These worthless journals charges fee, have non-credible or honourable editorial members. These types of journals/questionable conferences are giving rise to a wider ecosystem of pseudoscience. For the academic who wants to add credentials to their résumé should avoid such journals/conferences. Some journal websites state that the journal is indexed DOAJ, SCI, WOS, SCI-E, Scopus etc when it is not. I advise you to ALWAYS check at doaj.org that a journal is indexed in DOAJ even if its website carries the DOAJ and importantly check clarivate analytics master journal list at mjl.clarivate.com for reputable journals. Here you can find Hoax and Potential predatory scholarly open‑access publishers list @ beallslist.weebly.com

#Important: Less experienced scholars sometimes choose to submit their research work to two or more journals at the same time. Research ethics and policies of all scholarly journals suggest that authors should submit a manuscript to only one journal at a time. Doing otherwise can cause embarrassment and lead to copyright problems for the author, the university employer and the journals involved.

4. Find suitable Journals to publish your work: After the research is done and manuscript prepared, your next step is to choose a suitable journal for the publication of the research results. It is important that you select a suitable peer-reviewed journal which will present your result in the best way and convey it to the right target audience. You need to know that the list of journals you have published can directly and indirectly affect your professional reputation, career advancement, and funding opportunities.

These are some of the several criteria to consider when selecting the Journals:

1. Is there a match between the subject of your article and the journal's aim and scope?

#Tip: To narrow down the topics the journals are interested in, go through the aims and scope of the journal. Then select few of the recent publications go through the title and the abstracts.

2. What is the target audience and readership?
If your paper is highly specialized or technical, you’ll do better to publish in a journal with a specific target audience, otherwise, choose broad-based journal that reaches a wide and non-technical audience.

3. What is the “CV value of Journal”?
As a rule of thumb, prestigious journals have a rejection rate of around 88%, while average journals rejection rate is around 50% and very low-rated journals will have rejection rates less than 15%. Hence, check the following and ensure you verify that info written on the journal website is real:

a. The impact factor/Cite score of the journal: This should be greater than 0.5 at least and we have high-level Journals from 3 to 28 impact factors.Don’t just look at the actual impact factor, since impact factor values vary by field. Consider the impact factor relative to those of similar journals within your field.

b. Editorial board members: Prestigious journals usually have eminent researchers as members of their Editorial Board. Visit the journal website to check the names on the Editorial Board. Are the Board members well-known in your field of study? and do the editorial board have substantial published works?

c. Check the publisher: Is the journal owned by an individual company or well-known respected publisher or sponsored by a prestigious society in your field? Example of some well known-publishers is Elsevier, Springer, Wiley-Blackwell, Taylor & Francis, RSC publishing, ACS publishing, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. publishers, Routledge, De Gruyter, Cambridge University Press etc. Publishing regular research/review papers with these reputable publishers are total FREE of cost.

d. Peer-review: You must ensure you publish in a journal that uses either single-blinded or double-blinded peer-review system to assess your manuscript. This is always stated on the website of the reputable journals. You must check the Peer review period. How many issues does the journal publish in a year? Many journals list the date submitted and date accepted per paper. Comparing these dates will give an approximate idea of the turnaround time.

#TIP: Journals with online submission systems are likely to have a faster turnaround than journals that ask you to mail/email your manuscript. Ensure the journal have fast post-acceptance service. If the journal has an online edition, does it post accepted articles online once approved for publication? If so, this means that your article will be published online soon after it is accepted.

e. The journal must be cited in acceptable indexes: These are acceptable indexes and you can choose which fit your specific situation: Arts Humanities Citation Index (AHCI), Institute for Scientific Information/Web of Science (ISI/WOS), Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI), Science Citation Index (SCI), Sciences Citation Index Expanded (SCIE) and Medical citation index (MCI).

To check just visit the http://mjl.clarivate.com and you can just type the name of the journal to see the index.

To be continued

14 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by BrightFuture48: 1:08pm On Apr 22, 2018
^^^
Thanks Prof these are gem of wisdom.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Profeme: 8:03pm On Apr 24, 2018
wip7:
Steps to Publishing in a Reputable Journal

Some of these steps are a compilation from Personal/Springer/Elsevier publishing academy intended for doctoral students and other young scholars and meant to be a guide but not rule or universally bound. Publishing and communicating academic results is a vital step in the research lifecycle and in the career of academics/researchers. This helps to exchange one's ideas globally and thus ensure one's receives the recognition from the research or results.

1. Identify researchable topics, ensure you have the facilities and platforms: A good research paper starts long before writing the manuscript. First, identify emerging/hot topics and background reading of the question you are answering/trying to provide solutions to. Carefully formulate the study design/data collection avenue/sources, as well as ensuring you follow appropriate research laws and regulations, as all will contribute to making a publishable paper.

How can you identify a research question?

Begin by searching for and reading literature in your field of interest will be a starting point. Regular reading is the most common way of identifying a good research question. This enables you to keep up to date with recent advancements and identify unsolved problems or certain issues that keep appearing. You may start with general interest journals, but don’t limit yourself to journal publications only; you can also look for clues in the news or on research blogs. Once you have identified a few interesting topics, you should be reading the abstracts of most articles in that subject area and focus on recent works (1-9 years back). Readin in entirety the papers that are directly related to your research interests.

#TIP: Keep an eye out for Review papers and special issues in your chosen subject area as they are very helpful in discovering new areas and emerging/hot topics. Before you start, ensure you answered these questions: What are the best methods for achieving your research aims? and Do you have the necessary resources to carry out your methods?

Writing for academic journals is a highly competitive activity, and it’s important to understand that there could be several reasons for a rejection. After you have completed your research, the next is:

2. Do not rush submitting your article for publication: A proactive approach and attitude will reduce the chance of rejection and disappointment. The logical flow of activities dominates every research activity and should be followed for preparing a manuscript as well. Such activities include carefully re-reading your manuscript at different times and perhaps at different places. Re-reading is essential in the research field and helps identify the most common problems and shortcomings in the manuscript, which might otherwise be overlooked.Sometimes its very helpful for young researchers to share their manuscripts with more experienced colleagues with proven records of academic publishing in reputable journals and other senior researchers in that field to request their feedback.

3. Select an appropriate publication outlet for your work: Don't just submit the work that you laboured for to Hoax or Predatory Journals and Publishers. Also, do not attend Questionable Conferences that only want to collect your money. Many academics are eager to publish in worthless journals these days. These worthless journals charges fee, have non-credible or honourable editorial members. These types of journals/questionable conferences are giving rise to a wider ecosystem of pseudoscience. For the academic who wants to add credentials to their résumé should avoid such journals/conferences. Some journal websites state that the journal is indexed DOAJ, SCI, WOS, SCI-E, Scopus etc when it is not. I advise you to ALWAYS check at doaj.org that a journal is indexed in DOAJ even if its website carries the DOAJ and importantly check clarivate analytics master journal list at mjl.clarivate.com for reputable journals. Here you can find Hoax and Potential predatory scholarly open‑access publishers list @ beallslist.weebly.com

#Important: Less experienced scholars sometimes choose to submit their research work to two or more journals at the same time. Research ethics and policies of all scholarly journals suggest that authors should submit a manuscript to only one journal at a time. Doing otherwise can cause embarrassment and lead to copyright problems for the author, the university employer and the journals involved.

4. Find suitable Journals to publish your work: After the research is done and manuscript prepared, your next step is to choose a suitable journal for the publication of the research results. It is important that you select a suitable peer-reviewed journal which will present your result in the best way and convey it to the right target audience. You need to know that the list of journals you have published can directly and indirectly affect your professional reputation, career advancement, and funding opportunities.

These are some of the several criteria to consider when selecting the Journals:

1. Is there a match between the subject of your article and the journal's aim and scope?

#Tip: To narrow down the topics the journals are interested in, go through the aims and scope of the journal. Then select few of the recent publications go through the title and the abstracts.

2. What is the target audience and readership?
If your paper is highly specialized or technical, you’ll do better to publish in a journal with a specific target audience, otherwise, choose broad-based journal that reaches a wide and non-technical audience.

3. What is the “CV value of Journal”?
As a rule of thumb, prestigious journals have a rejection rate of around 88%, while average journals rejection rate is around 50% and very low-rated journals will have rejection rates less than 15%. Hence, check the following and ensure you verify that info written on the journal website is real:

a. The impact factor/Cite score of the journal: This should be greater than 0.5 at least and we have high-level Journals from 3 to 28 impact factors.Don’t just look at the actual impact factor, since impact factor values vary by field. Consider the impact factor relative to those of similar journals within your field.

b. Editorial board members: Prestigious journals usually have eminent researchers as members of their Editorial Board. Visit the journal website to check the names on the Editorial Board. Are the Board members well-known in your field of study? and do the editorial board have substantial published works?

c. Check the publisher: Is the journal owned by an individual company or well-known respected publisher or sponsored by a prestigious society in your field? Example of some well known-publishers is Elsevier, Springer, Wiley-Blackwell, Taylor & Francis, RSC publishing, ACS publishing, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. publishers, Routledge, De Gruyter, Cambridge University Press etc. Publishing regular research/review papers with these reputable publishers are total FREE of cost.

d. Peer-review: You must ensure you publish in a journal that uses either single-blinded or double-blinded peer-review system to assess your manuscript. This is always stated on the website of the reputable journals. You must check the Peer review period. How many issues does the journal publish in a year? Many journals list the date submitted and date accepted per paper. Comparing these dates will give an approximate idea of the turnaround time.

#TIP: Journals with online submission systems are likely to have a faster turnaround than journals that ask you to mail/email your manuscript. Ensure the journal have fast post-acceptance service. If the journal has an online edition, does it post accepted articles online once approved for publication? If so, this means that your article will be published online soon after it is accepted.

e. The journal must be cited in acceptable indexes: These are acceptable indexes and you can choose which fit your specific situation: Arts Humanities Citation Index (AHCI), Institute for Scientific Information/Web of Science (ISI/WOS), Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI), Science Citation Index (SCI), Sciences Citation Index Expanded (SCIE) and Medical citation index (MCI).

To check just visit the http://mjl.clarivate.com and you can just type the name of the journal to see the index.

To be continued

Thank you, sir.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.