Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,359 members, 7,780,981 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:50 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (323154 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by mapet: 11:30pm On Dec 18, 2014
Kokopos:

LordMecuzy:
Pls wats D grade point u must achieve in ur Msc before u can apply for a Phd.

Can an MBA student apply for a PhD in management?

You need minimum of 3.5 over 5.0 in MSc before you can apply for Phd.

With MBA getting Phd admission might be difficult. I also have MBA but looking forward to Msc management. My advice is that people should not bother about MBA instead go for MSc, since MSc management can also go for MBA but MBA cannot be seen as MSc in academic terms.

It actually depends on the school. I applied for DBA at GIBS, when I got the admission, I was told I have the option of choosing either DBA or PHD, and to hold my decision till the end of the second year. I believe schools could be making options available nowadays
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Kokopos(m): 11:31pm On Dec 18, 2014
clemz88:
hmm thats serious. But if I should use my HND n apply for admissn at open uni will I be given admission into 300L or 200L

I was given 200L even with my Pgd and MBA. I was angry and almost refused to register but my colleague and my wife encouraged me and am happy I listened to them. Don't look at the number of years you will spend just start and b4 you know it you are done.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Kokopos(m): 11:33pm On Dec 18, 2014
mapet:

It actually depends on the school. I applied for DBA at GIBS, when I got the admission, I was told I have the option of choosing either DBA or PHD, and to hold my decision till the end of the second year. I believe schools could be making options available nowadays

Please full meaning ofGIBS. Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Idumuose44: 11:35pm On Dec 18, 2014
dabriggs:

Of course not, Sir. No where in my post did I say or insinuate this. But I first need to find an arear of interest first. I do understand and appreciate the fact that other things are involved. I mean this topic alone offers a lot of information already on the subject.

But I do need one don't I? And it is good getting one early based on ones interest isnt it?

Brother, you said you are waiting to send a research question to your supervisor, hence my reply to you.

I am sure you have the wherewithal to do a PhD in your field and I wish you the best of luck

Enjoying the thread.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by sultan003(m): 11:36pm On Dec 18, 2014
B.eng Industrial/production engr
M.eng Industrial engr

PHD Industrial engr
Currently drafting my proposal on decision support systems and risk mgt implementation in manufacturing SMEs
Re: Thread For PHD Students by phabulous88(m): 11:37pm On Dec 18, 2014
Priceless24:

Why don't you apply to Canada as well, you have a better chance of getting PhD funding there. Over bias dey worry UK people

Yea! I've done my research on UoA, UBC, BCIT, MUN & UoT, great schools I tell you with minimum funding of about 14500 CAD for PhD students. I'm not just cool with the 5/6 years it takes to complete, I'll think about it and prolly give it a shot.

Thanks!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by mapet: 11:38pm On Dec 18, 2014
Kokopos:

Please full meaning ofGIBS. Thanks

Gordon Institute of Business Science
www.gibs.co.za
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Cindino20(m): 11:41pm On Dec 18, 2014
Phinity318:

I think Biodiesel will do, Plant and specifically Jatropha Cacaus plant, i have had personal and first hand experience on how this thing works,,, it is the future of Energy generation.

btw, is applying for a Phd programme that simple, i have always thought one requires at least three years teaching experience at uni or poly level .. does this varies from uni to uni, country to country or what? sombory enlighten me biko!!!

From the Lil I know in Europe u don't need lecturing experience....pHD itself is a job...u get paid for it (worse case u get stipends)..all u need to do is look for a workgroup write to them (proposal) if they re kul with it then they will refer you to departmental board for admission ( if the work group has financial issues they may recommend u for scholarship or grants or ask u to come with ur funds which is rare cos they don't want you to be stranded half way).

This is the german sys may differ from con3 to con3.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by clemz88(m): 11:44pm On Dec 18, 2014
Kokopos:

I was given 200L even with my Pgd and MBA. I was angry and almost refused to register but my colleague and my wife encouraged me and am happy I listened to them. Don't look at the number of years you will spend just start and b4 you know it you are done.
is well. Tnxs very much. I'll take pgd first cos of work in order to be equal to BSc after which I'll go for the BSc. Tnxz alot
Re: Thread For PHD Students by yinchar(m): 11:44pm On Dec 18, 2014
baba11:

Ond. ....electronics and electrical engineering
Bsc.......... electronics and computer engineering
Msc......... information technology (in view)
PhD............. cybersecurity
My doing PhD is on 50-50% scale and it must be on scholarship like my degree programme
If you aspiring for PhD scholarship...make sure you pass out in flying colors...min. of 75% in your MSc. P.hD Scholarship/funding is very competitive,wishing you all the best.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Dereformer(m): 11:45pm On Dec 18, 2014
Kokopos:

I love your determination and also kudos for having support from your beloved wife.

But sir could help sharing your age? It will sure encourage someone.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by youngice(m): 11:48pm On Dec 18, 2014
hilsocial:
My name is Hilary. I just graduated from FUTO ( Agric Economics) . I am interested in doing my M.Sc and Ph.D but i want to know how many years it will take for each and the average cost for each in Nigerian Universities and abroad. Thank you for your anticipated response.
what ever happens don't do MSC in FUTO
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Olusanya333(m): 11:48pm On Dec 18, 2014
I know there has been many post but I personally book this space till 2020 b4 then the world will have heard about me by His Grace. Till then this space remain booked permanently.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 11:49pm On Dec 18, 2014
Some PhD holders can even write simple English language. Smh... Now I know that Nigeria is doomed! angry angry angry
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Kokopos(m): 11:50pm On Dec 18, 2014
clemz88:
is well. Tnxs very much. I'll take pgd first cos of work in order to be equal to BSc after which I'll go for the BSc. Tnxz alot

Please if you can forget Pgd and go straight for Bsc. Even with your Pgd most employers will still see you as a HND holder. More so since you intend to do BSc later it will not be cost effective to start doing Pgd.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by baba11(m): 11:51pm On Dec 18, 2014
yinchar:

If you aspiring for PhD scholarship...make sure you pass out in flying colors...min. of 75% in your MSc. P.hD Scholarship/funding is very competitive,wishing you all the best.
Yea...Thanks....I'm well off as regard grade....

My only concern is how to get foreign full scholarship..... any links you know!?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Dereformer(m): 11:51pm On Dec 18, 2014
clemz88:

Don't do PGD. It will be a mistake.
PGD does not equate HND to BSC.

Look for any university around and register for part time studies.

I have HND, ACA. I am currently doing a Bsc in accounting and by the grace of God I will complete the programme next year.

I will enroll for my Msc in Accounting as soon as I am done with that.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Kokopos(m): 11:52pm On Dec 18, 2014
Dereformer:

I love your determination and also kudos for having support from your beloved wife.

But sir could help sharing your age? It will sure encourage someone.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by bynat(f): 11:53pm On Dec 18, 2014
Abeg corpers nko? lipsrsealed
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 11:54pm On Dec 18, 2014
baba11:

Yea...Thanks....I'm well off as regard grade....

My only concern is how to get foreign full scholarship..... any links you know!?
Write like a post-degree holder. Jeez! What messages are you sending to the world with those scribbles you put up there? angry
Re: Thread For PHD Students by PtitLapin(f): 11:57pm On Dec 18, 2014
I have a BA In International Studies and Foreign Languages, an LLM in International Law, an MA in International Studies, and I began a PhD in International Law this September. Yeah, I am a school addict! It has been a long and hectic journey but I wouldn't trade it for anything. My education has taken me to five continents...and counting... Woot woot! smiley

By the way:

For those intending to apply, one of the most important things is finding a compatible Supervisor. Your Supervisor can build you up or frustrate you easily. I learned the hard way!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by victorD3: 11:57pm On Dec 18, 2014
B.Eng in Civil engineering

MSc in Operations management in engineering

PhD in Construction management

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by bezimo(m): 11:57pm On Dec 18, 2014
B.Eng Civil Engineering(NG)

M.Sc Project Management for Energy and
Environmental Engineering(FR)

PhD Construction Engineering and Management (CA)

Research Interest:Occupational health and safety, integrated planning and control, agile project management and accelerated project delivery.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by iwriterng(m): 12:03am On Dec 19, 2014
all4naija:
Some PhD holders can even write simple English language. Smh... Now I know that Nigeria is doomed! angry angry angry

1. You can't even express yourself properly, without contradicting your message. Can or can't?

2.. There is nothing like "Simple English Language" it's a blunder.

3. smh? I have no respect for anybody that is too lazy to write.

4. Whatever happened to punctuations in your world is a really bad thing.

5. Doomed? Really?

If you know what a PhD degree entails, you would respect anybody with such degree.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Dereformer(m): 12:03am On Dec 19, 2014
Kokopos:

The same age with you.

I will complete my Bsc accounting next year. I will enrol for Msc immediately after that.

HND is indeed an aberration. I don't advice anybody to do that.

Latest by 50 I will bag a PHD in Accounting, so help me God.

18 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 12:04am On Dec 19, 2014
PtitLapin:
I have a BA In International Studies and Foreign Languages
LLM in International Law
MA in International Studies, and
I began a PhD in International Law this September. Yeah, I am a school addict! It has been a long and hectic journey but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
My education has taken me to five continents...and counting... Woot woot! smiley

Thank you! I am not completely impressed by your knowledge on the use of English language. We are supposed to look up to you people. All I can see here is poor writing skill and I am disappointed to say that.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 12:08am On Dec 19, 2014
Shei u don comple ur o'level? make u kno think say p.hd be like gce...
Re: Thread For PHD Students by baba11(m): 12:08am On Dec 19, 2014
all4naija:
Write like a post-degree holder. Jeez! What messages are you sending to the world with those scribbles you put up there? angry
Never mind!It's Nothing!!
happy now!? grin grin grin
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Raxxye(m): 12:08am On Dec 19, 2014
BSc, Physics/ Geophysics
MSc, Applied Geophysics
PhD, Environmental Geophysics ( prospective)

Got admission in early 2013, but couldn't push on for some reasons. Now I want to re-apply next year, but I'm considering a different school now (Unical).

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by PtitLapin(f): 12:10am On Dec 19, 2014
All4naija why are you picking on me? There's no need to be salty, amigo!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 12:12am On Dec 19, 2014
Idumuose44:

Brother, you said you are waiting to send a research question to your supervisor, hence my reply to you.

I am sure you have the wherewithal to do a PhD in your field and I wish you the best of luck

Enjoying the thread.

Oh ok. I see where the grey area is.

''I want to get one before I SEEK a supervisor..''. That is what my reply reads. I must know what I want to research about before I seek an appropriate supervisor. My reply also never talked about or implied needing only a research question for a Phd.

But it is all good. Thanks.

Enjoying the thread too.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by obinoral1179(m): 12:12am On Dec 19, 2014
mapet:
Me too reporting for duty.
I have been sort of a sojourner.

Bsc, Zoology (Genetics)
PGD Information Technology
Msc. Computer Science
MBA Business Administration
Now DBA/PHD Business Administration

I'm researching Behavioural Patterns of Executives that leads to Business/ Strategy Performance improvement

I'm in Gordon Institute of Business Science - University of Pretoria South Africa.

The beauty of my program is the flexibility of combining it with my job........

bro this ur combination looks na wa ooooo. But why did you choose to do PGD instead of going through MSC direct? Ur experience might help a brother here.

Thanks a lot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.