Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,371 members, 7,781,040 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:56 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (323156 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Anfieldboss: 2:51pm On Mar 02, 2020
Hello Prof. wip7,

I am interested in pursuing a PhD in Electrical Engineering overseas. My area of research interest is "Integration of Renewable Energy on Grid Distribution Network"

I have been in contact with lecturers overseas, and I have been asked to develop a research proposal.

I would appreciate anyway you can help me sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by na2016: 7:50am On Mar 03, 2020
Anfieldboss:
Hello Prof. wip7,

I am interested in pursuing a PhD in Electrical Engineering overseas. My area of research interest is "Integration of Renewable Energy on Grid Distribution Network"

I have been in contact with lecturers overseas, and I have been asked to develop a research proposal.

I would appreciate anyway you can help me sir.

Get a good survey paper on this topic and read, towards the end, you will see areas for further research. Ask your self if your can do it, if the answer is yes, then write your proposal around it and submit, you will be accepted

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Anfieldboss: 1:34pm On Mar 03, 2020
na2016:

Get a good survey paper on this topic and read, towards the end, you will see areas for further research. Ask your self if your can do it, if the answer is yes, then write your proposal around it and submit, you will be accepted

Thanks boss....I'll do as you have said.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by na2016: 8:39am On Mar 04, 2020
Anfieldboss:

Thanks boss....I'll do as you have said.

If you don't have access to journals and you need the survey paper, PM me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by jeswinner: 5:05pm On Mar 18, 2020
[quote author=jeswinner post=86510650]Bsc- Electrical/electronics engineering

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by habdulharsix(m): 1:04am On Mar 27, 2020
Good Morning Prof. I had my B.Sc. in Marketing and also undergoing my M.Sc. in marketing too. I'm through with the coursework remaining research work which to be completed this year. I intend starting my PhD immediately abroad after my M.Sc. but I'm confused on the areas I can venture into at that level(PhD) I don't know if you can be of help.

Thanks sir.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Rogz85(m): 12:10am On Mar 29, 2020
Kokopos:

My dear I have HND, PGD AND MBA. Years back I tried 3 Universities for Phd but was turned down because I have HND. I went back to open university for a Bsc. Am now in my 2nd semester of 400L. Once am done with Bsc even before final result comes out I will quickly register for Msc management with my PGD management because MBA might not also get me a Phd admission.
Your Ph.D was turned down because of your MBA not your HND.
MBA is a terminal degree and as such you cannot proceed to a Ph.D with it.
Kind regards

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by obstead200(m): 6:59am On Mar 30, 2020
na2016:

simple and short.
He couldn't just pick a topic out of thin air at this level. He is expected to have done some background work, Identify a research problem and a research gap and build a topic and proposal around it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by obstead200(m): 7:00am On Mar 30, 2020
Rogz85:

Your Ph.D was turned down because of your MBA not your HND.
MBA is a terminal degree and as such you cannot proceed to a Ph.D with it.
Kind regards
some schools grant waivers on the MBA thing these days
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Rowland92(m): 7:19am On Mar 30, 2020
I'm surprised s marketing scholar up to a masters degree is still confused on areas to do a PhD when marketing is so broad in scope to select from.
Are you sure you're academic or just going to school to get certificate without being academically sound in marketing.

habdulharsix:
Good Morning Prof. I had my B.Sc. in Marketing and also undergoing my M.Sc. in marketing too. I'm through with the coursework remaining research work which to be completed this year. I intend starting my PhD immediately abroad after my M.Sc. but I'm confused on the areas I can venture into at that level(PhD) I don't know if you can be of help.

Thanks sir.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by obstead200(m): 7:40am On Mar 30, 2020
Chidirolex:

Its not unethical. Show me were in the law its written you can't outsource your research. Our job goes beyond writing as you can also consult us to guide you, provide materials for you and also prepare you for your defense. That's not all our services anyway. We have a private tutor section too. Just check us out and let's wow you.
oga, but u know that What u basically do is to write projects and thesis for students. Forget the long grammar u attach to it. It is unethical. QED.

A friend of mine contacted one of Ur type to write his MBA thesis for Anglia Ruskin University. The result was that a highly plagiarised job was delivered to him. He submitted to the university and he is presently facing disciplinary actions

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by yak(m): 8:44am On Mar 30, 2020
plz ooo, doing PhD needs alot of money especially in Nigeria. Does anyone know abt scholarships in Maths/education because my wife already completed her M.Ed Mathematics but we may not have the funds to start PhD now
Re: Thread For PHD Students by na2016: 9:06am On Mar 30, 2020
obstead200:
simple and short.
He couldn't just pick a topic out of thin air at this level. He is expected to have done some background work, Identify a research problem and a research gap and build a topic and proposal around it

Well, I don't understand you message. Are you saying my suggestion to him was not correct or what? It may interest you to know that OP's has already identified a specific research area - "Integration of Renewable Energy on Grid Distribution Network".
This is a generic topic around which he can make a reasonable proposal on to get admission. Simple and easy way for him is to read a few good survey papers in this area (if they are available) or he can get 4 good papers around this area and decide what problem in this area he wishes to solve.

I think no much reading or background work is required for him to get admission.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by obstead200(m): 3:55pm On Mar 30, 2020
na2016:

Well, I don't understand you message. Are you saying my suggestion to him was not correct or what? It may interest you to know that OP's has already identified a specific research area - "Integration of Renewable Energy on Grid Distribution Network".
This is a generic topic around which he can make a reasonable proposal on to get admission. Simple and easy way for him is to read a few good survey papers in this area (if they are available) or he can get 4 good papers around this area and decide what problem in this area he wishes to solve.

I think no much reading or background work is required for him to get admission.

oga, we are both saying exactly the same thing.
Writing a proposal shud not be a problem to him because he shud have done some background work in his area of interest and identify a research gap.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by otabuko(m): 10:36pm On Mar 30, 2020
Educational Technology. Interest in Artificial Intelligence. Using plagiarism checker software as a case study.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 12:05pm On Mar 31, 2020
otabuko:
Educational Technology. Interest in Artificial Intelligence. Using plagiarism checker software as a case study.

This is an interesting research area. If you want to carry our research in Artificial intelligence, you must have fundamental skills in Machine Learning and experience with some programming language and algorithm to develop nearly complete detection methods.

Specifically, Plagiarism detection methods can be focussed on either of these Cross-language-based, character-based, structural-based, cluster or classification-based, Syntax-based, citation or Semantic-based techniques.

Then you have to select or develop which type of machine learning method you want to adopt.

I have a friend working on that for his PhD in the UK but his focus is on AI-based algorithm for online fraud detection, same concept.

Best wishes.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by otabuko(m): 10:33pm On Mar 31, 2020
wip7:

This is an interesting research area. If you want to carry our research in Artificial intelligence, you must have fundamental skills in Machine Learning and experience with some programming language and algorithm to develop nearly complete detection methods.

Specifically, Plagiarism detection methods can be focussed on either of these Cross-language-based, character-based, structural-based, cluster or classification-based, Syntax-based, citation or Semantic-based techniques.

Then you have to select or develop which type of machine learning method you want to adopt.

I have a friend working on that for his PhD in the UK but his focus is on AI-based algorithm for online fraud detection, same concept.

Best wishes.
Thanks so much.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 10:48pm On Mar 31, 2020
obstead200:
oga, but u know that What u basically do is to write projects and thesis for students. Forget the long grammar u attach to it. It is unethical. QED.

A friend of mine contacted one of Ur type to write his MBA thesis for Anglia Ruskin University. The result was that a highly plagiarised job was delivered to him. He submitted to the university and he is presently facing disciplinary actions

Ehya....sorry for your guy but that's what you get when you patronize cheap cooks....
Re: Thread For PHD Students by yak(m): 1:10am On Apr 01, 2020
yak:
plz ooo, doing PhD needs alot of money especially in Nigeria. Does anyone know abt scholarships in Maths/education because my wife already completed her M.Ed Mathematics but we may not have the funds to start PhD now

any suggestions here plz
Re: Thread For PHD Students by oke48(m): 11:05am On Apr 01, 2020
yak:

any suggestions here plz

You can PM me.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by yak(m): 4:02pm On Apr 01, 2020
oke48:

You can PM me.
done
Re: Thread For PHD Students by gordonz(m): 4:53pm On Apr 02, 2020
mapet:

It actually depends on the school. I applied for DBA at GIBS, when I got the admission, I was told I have the option of choosing either DBA or PHD, and to hold my decision till the end of the second year. I believe schools could be making options available nowadays

please sir, I would like to pm you . I am interested in applying for a PhD program at GIBS with my MBA, I would like to know how to go about the application processes and the requirements.
Thank you.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by bilal4riid(m): 10:00pm On Apr 02, 2020
Good day progressive minds, SCIE-HUB.TW is very helping in terms of downloading journal free. I hope no one is left out. Please comrades which SITE can we download paid books free as effective as scihub. Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by habdulharsix(m): 10:02pm On Apr 02, 2020
Please can anyone acquaint me with the processes of applying for PhD scholarships (management) from Nigeria and getting admission.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by oluwatomiwa(m): 4:17am On Apr 03, 2020
Good day progressive minds, SCIE-HUB.TW is very helping in terms of downloading journal free. I hope no one is left out. Please comrades which SITE can we download paid books free as effective as scihub. Thanks

Try. http://gen.lib.rus.ec/
and pdfdrive.com

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by speakout2015: 4:32am On Apr 03, 2020
https://b-ok.org

oluwatomiwa:

Try http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by kingjoe(m): 12:10pm On Apr 10, 2020
thanks for all your help.please some important journals critical to my study cant open.what can do
wip7:

Hi,

Kindly look up, I have given detailed steps to follow for a research proposal, follow the same steps. The proposal should be what you wish to do during your PhD. We don’t know it, only you know it.

Come up with a rough skeleton of your intended research, visit google scholar, Elsevier, Taylor, springer and Wiley and type the keywords in your proposed research and check out related published work.

I just did for you in the mention websites: energy efficiency in residential buildings

You can see that over 200,000 research articles have been published in terms of energy efficiency in residential buildings. Its quite easy to search, download, read and follow steps above.

That's how it is done. A potential PhD student must learn how to use a wide array of sources to find details/information for their research.

See the screenshots, follow it and read, then come up with what you intend to do and from reading you will come up with your own angle and develop it.

Best wishes

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Dyonne: 12:35pm On Apr 11, 2020
jayriginal:

That's quite untrue. Your masters is sufficient.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by briliantsak(m): 1:13pm On Apr 12, 2020
wip7:

I am happy you find it helpful! Now that you are doing the PhD ...don’t forget to contribute, support upcoming PhD students, tell us your challenges so all others can also contribute and provide ideas, solutions....

Also, your progress and advices will be appreciated!

Best wishes!

Thank you, sir. It has been interesting so far. I've become a better writer, critical thinker and reader. I started my program in August 2018. One of the things I've learned is that the supervisor is a major determinant of PhD success. I'm quite lucky to have a supervisor who gave me the freedom to try out my own research ideas without restricting me. I've been able to navigate new areas under his supervision. He didn't impose his own ideas and he's always ready to listen to students' ideas whilst pointing out the loopholes for them to cover up.

It was quite challenging at the beginning because my supervisor didn't give me a topic(s) to work on. Although he suggested some research themes, the themes were too large that I got lost whilst reading the literature. I had to come up with different proposals for his consideration. During each proposal discussion, he would ask critical questions to show me that the ideas won't work or not too novel. I was sad and scared because my other colleagues were already working and building up their proposals whilst I was still struggling to get a solid proposal. I learned not to compare myself to others and to celebrate my small wins. After many failed proposal attempts, I got one that was pleasing to my supervisors and myself.

I'm still learning, and I'm always grateful for the opportunity to become better. These are some lessons that might be beneficial to new PhD students:

1. Get to know your supervisor style: This is very important as I've said earlier. Talk to your research teammates. Some supervisors do like to micromanage while others prefer macro-management.

2. Set feasible milestones with your supervisor and do revise it regularly with him or her.

3. Keep track of your discussion with your supervisor. You can do this by preparing minutes of meetings after each meeting with him or her. Make sure he or she has the minutes for referencing and record keeping.

4. DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF WITH OTHERS: I can't overemphasize this point. It's easy for one to get distracted by colleagues' progress. Celebrate their success with them but never you compare yourself with them. Each PhD research is peculiar and specific. We are humans, we are different and so is our approach to life.

5. Read other people's PhD thesis: This is helpful as it would show you how a thesis should be at the end of the day. Also, you can reach out to researchers in similar research areas or fellow PhD students

6. Data management: Get serious with data management, perhaps cloud backup. Also, referencing software would ease your affairs especially when you start early.

7. Mistakes: Don't be afraid to make mistakes, you are training to become a better researcher. It's research because no one knows, that's why you are 'searching' and 're'searching.

8. Hobbies: Get a life outside your research, don't attach your whole existence to your research. You can learn a new language, learn how to play new games, join a club, read books, travel, make new friends and anything that rocks your boat. This is very important for your mental health and to keep you fresh.

9. Criticisms: Learn how to take criticisms. Don't be emotional about criticisms, they are meant to help you not to pull you down. There would be comments from reviewers, colleagues or even your supervisors; don't take it personally. Also, don't attach your self worth to your work lest you'd destroy yourself.

10. Your research: Talk about your research when you have the opportunities. Don't shy away from such opportunities to let people know your research. Be it a conference, seminar, or presentation competition.

11. Write: It's never too early to start writing. Write it out, don't assume you'd remember. Also, start writing your literature review and likely methodologies. Whenever you read relevant articles, summarize it somewhere for future reference. Write! Write!! Write!!!

12. Publications: This might not be feasible at the beginning of your study, but try to publish your work and collaborate with others. You can only become better when you continue trying.

13. Relationship: Keep good friends that you can always talk to. It can be your colleagues as they would understand your plight better. Keep in touch with your family and don't let the research frustration affect your relationships with your loved ones. Also, don't transfer aggression!!!

14. Be happy!!! It's very important �. Take care of your mental and physical health. I wish you the very best in your research.

Cheers!

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 2:12pm On Apr 13, 2020
hoppcee:
Please, for those interested in joining whatsapp platform in building a career in full time research and academics.
we will also give information on how to go about furthering for a PhD and other Post Doc Programmes
Send "Add me for Research" to

NO need to create a Whatapp group for this thread, So I will encourage you to delete your mobile.....whatever knowledge you have or want to share, let it be shared on this forum.

This Whatsapps group often leads to criminal activities, challenges, theft and irresponsible acts and most times disturbing.

Things shared online are easily picked up by google crawling networks and that help others to know the thread and learn. While mobile chats are restricted to mobile and can't be picked by google network meaning the intended knowledge is restricted.

Thank you for your understanding.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 2:14pm On Apr 13, 2020
kingjoe:
thanks for all your help.please some important journals critical to my study cant open.what can do

Visit: www.SCIE-HUB.TW insert the DOI of the article... it should be easy.

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.