Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (81) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (325819 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Cindino20(m): 4:00pm On Nov 27, 2020
taiwo92:

Impressive.
Can we connect Dr?
Mean while my own profile goes this

B.Eng Civil Engineering/Nigeria
MSC in view Environmental Enginering Munich, Germany.

Research Interest: Climate change, water , energy and food nexus, sanitation in global south, sustainable development in developing countries.

sure we can connect..check PM.

C.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 4:03pm On Nov 27, 2020
DrTims:
Federal University of health sciences, Otukpo is recruiting. You can apply. More opportunities are coming up. Don't give up smiley
Nice one!

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Cindino20(m): 4:04pm On Nov 27, 2020
speakout2015:
Kindly update the group with summary of any of your published work/results based on your research interest so that we can learn and understand you more better. Thanks!

if you re interested in electrochemistry/rechargeable batteries, below is the link to my google scholar page. It contains my publications thus far. The results from my doctoral work will be published in the coming months.

C.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 5:42pm On Nov 27, 2020
blcoolfemol:

If you have excellent CGPA in undergraduate and MSc with journals. Seek PhD abroad that comes with funding in countries like Canada, US or Europe. You will be glad that you never took a lecturing job in Nigeria.

I wish you all the best.

I disagree with you!
Being an Academia in Nigeria is worth it.This entitlement mentality of looking for 'Funder' before embarking on a Ph.D is not good.
You should not demean the Nigerian educational system!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 5:51pm On Nov 27, 2020
ccffwx:
I have not given up hope on becoming a lecturer. I hold a Masters degree in English Language and Literature as well as a Bachelors degree in the same discipline. I graduated as Best Graduating Student, applied for GA at my Alma mater but it was an effort in futility. Hard to believe but I have documents to back up my claim.

I proceeded with Masters, published a book and wrote some articles in journals and festschrifts. To build experience, I focused on expanding my teaching career.

I am sincerely and really interested in lecturing at the university level. Anyone who can help should kindly do so. I have been applying to various universities but the Nigerian university system prefers connection to merit/ contribution to knowledge. Thank you.

lugonmaeze@gmail.com
Your interest in lecturing at the University level is great!
In Nigeria,it is easier to secure a lecturing job with a Doctorate degree rather than a Masters.Endeavour to get a Ph.D!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 6:02pm On Nov 27, 2020
[quote author=ccffwx post=96367652]I have not given up hope on becoming a lecturer. I hold a Masters degree in English Language and Literature as well as a Bachelors degree in the same discipline. I graduated as Best Graduating Student, applied for GA at my Alma mater but it was an effort in futility. Hard to believe but I have documents to back up my claim.

I am sincerely and really interested in lecturing at the university level. Anyone who can help should kindly do so. I have been applying to various universities but the Nigerian university system prefers connection to merit/ contribution to knowledge. Thank you.

Keep your interest in lecturing at the University level alive!
Don't be discouraged.First,endeavour to get a Ph.D.
Also have your Original articles published in reputable Journals(atleast 5 articles),this will give you an edge during the selection process.
Presently,Universities in Nigeria don't employ GAs that's why you've not be selected but keep the dream alive!

Goodluck to you!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by blcoolfemol: 6:42am On Nov 28, 2020
Alright then, I wish you good luck.

KelvinCoaster:

I disagree with you!
Being an Academia in Nigeria is worth it.This entitlement mentality of looking for 'Funder' before embarking on a Ph.D is not good.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 7:40am On Nov 28, 2020
blcoolfemol:
Alright then, I wish you good luck.

Nice one!
I wish you goodluck too!!

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by benji93: 1:14pm On Nov 28, 2020
I think both of you are only partially correct. He's wrong because he opined no one should take a lecturing job in Nigeria. Nigeria needs a lot of influx of good researchers now. On the other hand, if you get a PhD opportunity overseas at institutions that offer a lot more, take it. I am not forcing anyone, but i sincerely hope that our researchers that are doing well overseas and with some power to hire students, can either add Nigerian students with research potentials to their research team thereby setting up a chain reaction that could result in at least a number of people they train/mentor/supervise end up back home, or they can offer their research expertise during sabbaticals or via adjunct professorships, or do the coming home themselves at a point in their lives. Without this influx, which requires some sacrifice on the part of our researchers, I do not think this country can progress with respect to research. We effectively have a system in which the mechanism of information dissemination is stable in mediocrity. There's no way we fix this without that influx, one way or another. The majority of our researchers back home are not doing well research-wise. They still publish in predatory journals and very low-impact journals, which frankly is not exactly their fault. You cannot give what you don't have. It's what they were taught. So saying the Nigerian research environment or even Nigerian tertiary institutions are not good is factual and it's not to demean the Nigerian educational system. Sad but True. Note that I am referring to the general status quo. There are definitely a number of Nigerians in Nigeria doing good research. The Nigerian educational clime needs a breath of fresh air. I won't lie to you it will take a lot of will for someone doing well to come home, some may even call doing that suicidal. However, that's exactly what the system needs.
KelvinCoaster:

I disagree with you!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 2:16pm On Nov 28, 2020
benji93...The point(s) you made is just 5% of the problem.I am speaking from experience now:99% of Nigerian lecturers expect the government to build research laboratories and create funds to facilitate research.This has been the blame-game ASUU have played since 1994.Anyone with a drive to succeed can set up a mini-laboratory where basic,fundamental and original studies can be carried out.Rather,what you have are lecturers that prefer to spend their money on buying SUVs and building mansions.Majority of our colleagues in Europe and the USA have private labs(example,wip7).This makes a large chunk of their success-stories because they are able to solve problems at-a-go!
'Setting up private research laboratories is a major game changer'.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by benji93: 3:02pm On Nov 28, 2020
You are definitely not getting my point.
1. My point is most of the researchers in Nigeria are not competent researchers. As I said you can only give what you have. If you have not been properly trained you cannot just create a mini lab even if you wanted to. So what do you expect from someone not well equipped intellectually to do research? You need to be able to ask the right questions that are answerable from the knowledge available at the moment. And as far as I am concerned you usually don't know how to do research properly and independently until after a PhD. So yes if you want to do you PhD elsewhere, which means you want to learn how to do research then go wherever offers you that training. I am s talking about those wanting who to get a PhD.
KelvinCoaster:
benji93...The point(s) you made is just 5% of the problem.I am speaking from experience now:99% of Nigerian lecturers expect the government to build research laboratories and create funds to facilitate research.This has been the blame-game ASUU have played since 1994.Anyone with a drive to succeed can set up a mini-laboratory where basic,fundamental and original studies can be carried out.Rather,what you have are lecturers that prefer to spend their money on buying SUVs and building mansions.Majority of our colleagues in Europe and the USA have private labs(example,wip7).This makes a large chunk of their success-stories because they are able to solve problems at-a-go!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 3:43pm On Nov 28, 2020
[quote author=benji93 post=96530492]You are definitely not getting my point.
1. My point is most of the researchers in Nigeria are not competent researchers. As I said you can only give what you have. If you have not been properly trained you cannot just create a mini lab even if you wanted to. So what do you expect from someone not well equipped intellectually to do research? And as far as I am concerned you usually don't know how to do research properly and independently until after a PhD.

I can see that you have a narrow understanding of 'the research process'.
What makes a person a 'competent researcher'? Majority of Nigerian Graduates go abroad and become the best in their fields!Let me educate you on the reason:They are 'stuffed' with theoritical knowledge without requisite practical know-how, because of my earlier position.Having access to practical exposures abroad blended with the vast theoritical knowledge acquired in Nigeria makes the 'Researcher' competent.I think i have made my point clear!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by benji93: 5:35pm On Nov 28, 2020
No i don't have a narrow understanding of the "research process". You are the one that obviously doesn't know much. You said that the majority of Nigerians go abroad and become the best in their field, that's very false, emphasis on "very". What does that even mean?. Perhaps, some of them, maybe 10/20%. Besides most of those that go on to become the best don't come home anyway. Maybe you are just not communicating well enough, but your opinion that they are stuffed with theoretical knowledge is kind of not useful. I do not know what to do with that information. About half of the researchers in the world do theoretical/computational work. What will we say about mathematicians? Na play dem dey play? You must think all researchers need labs to do research. We definitely should think about the theoretical researchers too. Their contributions are as important. Whether directly or indirectly is another question.

My point is, irrespective of what kind of research we are talking about, theoretical or experimental, the training back home needs a lot of improvement and i mean a lot. It's not good. The system consists of people, so if the system is this bad, you can only point to the competence of the researchers/professors. I do understand the force behind your arguments though, you are likely someone who completed a post-grad degree in Nigeria or currently pursuing one, but no i am not trying to deride you or something. Note that my description is a general one. As i understand, from some of his posts, it's obvious Prof Wip here works with some students studying in Nigeria. There are other competent researchers like that in Nigeria. Infact you may be working with a competent professor yourself. For a while now i have been looking at the publication records of different professors at some of the best Universities in Nigeria, and most of these publications were not published in respectable journals. This is my basis for labeling the Nigerian researchers as mostly incompetent. I will admit though, I have been mostly looking at Physics researchers and i occasionally come across the profiles of some researchers from chemistry, petroleum Engineering doing very well. You look at the quality of thier research and the journals they are published and you say, wow nice.

KelvinCoaster:
I can see that you have a narrow understanding of 'the research process'.
What makes a person a 'competent researcher'? Majority of Nigerian Graduates go abroad and become the best in their fields!Let me educate you on the reason:They are 'stuffed' with theoritical knowledge without requisite practical know-how, because of my earlier position.Having access to practical exposures abroad blended with the vast theoritical knowledge acquired in Nigeria makes the 'Researcher' competent.I think i have made my point clear!

4 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Vicrown(m): 5:49pm On Nov 29, 2020
Fully-funded Masters and PhD scholarship in Vienna, Austria (various disciplines)

In this video, I talk you through the numerous available fully-funded masters and PhD scholarships at the Central European University, Vienna Campus. The available programmes are mostly in social sciences, humanities, and data science.
Bonus: No application fee & no English test required (for those with a proof they studied exclusively in English language)

Watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfgBhKSnIBI

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Vicrown(m): 9:59am On Dec 06, 2020
Fully-funded PhD scholarships at the University of Warwick in the UK

1. Chancellor's International Scholarship (42 spaces, all PhD programmes at Warwick, practical science, social science, law, humanities, etc)

2. PAIS Studentship (several spaces at the Department of Politics & International Studies (PAIS)

I won the PAIS Studentship this year and currently studying and working as a teaching assistant at the university. In this video, I share vital info on how to apply for these generous scholarships by sharing the personal tips that helped me secure mine.

Watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WWpp4g0cj8

1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 06, 2020
KelvinCoaster:

Who funds the private research lab? Pls, let's be realistic for once...The salary is poor and not enough for you to save so where will you get the one to set a private lab. Hope you know how much those instrument cost. It is a lie that it makes a large chunk of their success stories...The institutions offers them this facilities and only in few cases would one engage in private labs...They are paid for publishing, who pays you here....This system contributed to who you are don't rubbish it

6 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 4:57pm On Dec 07, 2020
Vicrown:
Fully-funded PhD scholarships at the University of Warwick in the UK

1. Chancellor's International Scholarship (42 spaces, all PhD programmes at Warwick, practical science, social science, law, humanities, etc)

2. PAIS Studentship (several spaces at the Department of Politics & International Studies (PAIS)

I won the PAIS Studentship this year and currently studying and working as a teaching assistant at the university. In this video, I share vital info on how to apply for these generous scholarships by sharing the personal tips that helped me secure mine.

Watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WWpp4g0cj8

Nice one!
Vicrown.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:53am On Dec 08, 2020
Just published: Energy storage device from waste chicken bones (biocarbon)

The world energy crisis has been ignited by overconsumption and undue pressure on fossil fuel supplies. Researchers have directed concerted efforts on energy storage devices to curb this hazard. In recent years, as a competitive and powerful energy storage system, supercapacitors have attracted interest. Energy storage devices that fill the gap between batteries and traditional capacitors are supercapacitors (SCs). They can store and supply more power than capacitors at higher power outputs than batteries. Combined with high cyclability and long-term reliability, these features make SCs attractive energy storage devices.

Summary of Research: Waste chicken bones were collected, processed, and modified with heteroatoms to improve its efficiency. Various electrochemical tests were performed and nearly 2500 data generated were fed into artificial intelligence-based machine learning to study the performance and predict the energy density of the SC.

Researcher and Publication: Work was carried out alone by WIP7, some stability and recycling tests carried out with the commercial system developed for a start-up company that focuses on an electric bicycle. Results published in Materials Chemistry and Physics with a cite score of 4.9 and impact factor 3.4. This is a free journal of Elsevier. The university and Government pay 2800$ for publication incentive for this published work.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 9:49am On Dec 09, 2020
Are you interested in developing rapid sensors for Diabetes detection or monitoring? Apply for Start-up Grants!

Advanced Technologies & Treatments for Diabetes is delighted to announce its 2021 Start-up Grants to be offered to outstanding start-up companies presenting an innovative product currently in the pipeline. Apply to receive a €2,500 grant (plus further benefits) and participate at the prestigious International Fair of New Technologies during ATTD 2021. The start-up companies that are awarded a grant will receive a 4sqm booth and will give a short presentation and introduction of their company.

Apply here: https://kenesit.wufoo.com/forms/attd-2021-startup-grant-application/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:25pm On Dec 09, 2020
Postdoctoral researcher (machine learning for solar energy) Position

In this position, you will have a chance to make an impact by applying tools from artificial intelligence (AI) to the computational design of novel energy materials. Candidates with a Ph.D. in computational physics, chemistry, or materials science who are curious about applied machine learning in natural sciences. The prior machine learning experience is a bonus, but not a must. The starting salary for a Postdoctoral researcher is approx. 3600€/month.

Apply here:

https://rekry.saima.fi/aaltohome/application_edit_welcome.html?job_id=3057&field_id&place_id=102&did=5900&jc=1&lang=en

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Blueelf: 12:08pm On Dec 10, 2020
KelvinCoaster:

Setting up a private lab is quite capital intensive. Funding is necessary for research; whether private lab or govt lab. The story remains the same. Funds are needed. Please note that wip7 conducts his research in a western society with easier access to funding. He isn't a good basis for comparison please

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Blueelf: 12:12pm On Dec 10, 2020
ejibaba:

Who funds the private research lab? Pls, let's be realistic for once...The salary is poor and not enough for you to save so where will you get the one to set a private lab. Hope you know how much those instrument cost. It is a lie that it makes a large chunk of their success stories...The institutions offers them this facilities and only in few cases would one engage in private labs...They are paid for publishing, who pays you here....This system contributed to who you are don't rubbish it

I have disagreed with his submissions. From what he writes, he is either not based in Nigeria or not knowledgeable of the Nigerian Situation. Even sales reps earn more than an assistant lecturer in Nigeria - a PhD student that ought to conduct original research. Original research is time and capital intensive. That's why in the USA for example, . PhD students operate under a funded Principal investigator and not on their own.

Private lab Ke

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by subcbouy: 1:21pm On Dec 10, 2020
Blueelf:

I have disagreed with his submissions. From what he writes, he is either not based in Nigeria or not knowledgeable of the Nigerian Situation. Even sales reps earn more than an assistant lecturer in Nigeria - a Ph.D. student that ought to conduct original research. Original research is time and capital intensive. That's why in the USA for example, Ph.D. students operate under a funded Principal investigator and not on their own.

Private lab Ke
Are you saying an individual cannot fund his/her research if he/she is capable.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Blueelf: 2:21pm On Dec 10, 2020
subcbouy:
Are you saying an individual cannot fund his/her research if he/she is capable.

The question is:

How many PhD students in Nigeria or even Lecturers are capable of doing so? Do you expect people being paid peanuts as salaries without any research grants whatsoever to fund their own labs?

Some of you get to western Lands and then forget where you're coming from. Please face reality. It is very difficult for a Nigerian Academic to own, fund or even run his/her own private lab

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by subcbouy: 2:53pm On Dec 10, 2020
Blueelf:

The question is:

How many Ph.D. students in Nigeria or even Lecturers are capable of doing so? Do you expect people being paid peanuts as salaries without any research grants whatsoever to fund their labs?

Some of you get to western Lands and then forget where you're coming from. Please face reality. It is very difficult for a Nigerian Academic to own, fund, or even runs his/her private lab
But Some persons have funded their studies without government or whatsoever. You stated that research can only be funded. Do you think all research is intensive costly?

4 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by benji93: 11:47am On Dec 11, 2020
Ah, we are obviously referring to experimental research here. With all due respect a sociology PhD student doesn't quite need to be heavily funded to do their research.
subcbouy:
But Some persons have funded their studies without government or whatsoever. You stated that research can only be funded. Do you think all research is intensive costly?

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by subcbouy: 12:37pm On Dec 11, 2020
benji93:
Ah, we are obviously referring to experimental research here. With all due respect a sociology PhD student doesn't quite need to be heavily funded to do their research.
Thank you. I was wondering when he referred that all PhD students operate under a funded principal investigator and not on their own. Individuals who have the capability will be supervised, there is no such thing that experimental research is solemnly to funding. The problem in our hemisphere is that everything you can imagine is lacking for any researcher to conduct a thorough investigation.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 12:45pm On Dec 11, 2020
African agriculture knowledge transfer partnerships: Funding

The African agriculture strand of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership scheme supports a partnership between:

A UK registered higher education, research, and technology organization and an African business or not-for-profit organization or a knowledge base in Africa. The business partner and African knowledge base partner must both be based in the same one of the following countries: Republic of Ghana, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Republic of Kenya, or the Republic of South Africa.

You can receive funding project costs of any amount, although typically projects cost no more than £125,000 per year and typically projects last 24 months, depending on the project requirements. The deadline is Wednesday 14 April 2021 11:00am.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by olawalepopoola: 12:50pm On Dec 11, 2020
I am a Nigerian trained Scientist and I had made a promise to myself to publish in top journals especially in SCOUPUS/SCI/SCIE journals. Being Nigerian trained doesn't make you inferior. The most important thing is to follow international best practices in research. I am rounding up my PhD (if not for ASUU strike) very soon and I am already getting opportunities for postdoc in China and South Africa.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 12:59pm On Dec 11, 2020
MIT funding for Faculty members in Africa

MISTI Global Seed Funds grant program promotes and supports early-stage collaborations between MIT researchers and their counterparts around the globe. Many of the joint projects funded lead to additional grant awards and the development of valuable long-term relationships between international researchers and MIT faculty and students.

The General Fund is open to projects in any country. Through an annual call for proposals, the fund primarily supports travel costs for exchange between a team at MIT and colleagues abroad.

The international colleague(s) must be identified in the proposal.
The maximum award is $30,000.

Priority will be given to projects that:
----propose a balanced exchange between the MIT and international participants
----demonstrate complementarity between the MIT and international teams
----involve undergraduate and graduate students

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by olawalepopoola: 1:01pm On Dec 11, 2020
wip7:
MIT funding for Faculty members in Africa

MISTI Global Seed Funds grant program promotes and supports early-stage collaborations between MIT researchers and their counterparts around the globe. Many of the joint projects funded lead to additional grant awards and the development of valuable long-term relationships between international researchers and MIT faculty and students.

The General Fund is open to projects in any country. Through an annual call for proposals, the fund primarily supports travel costs for exchange between a team at MIT and colleagues abroad.

The international colleague(s) must be identified in the proposal.
The maximum award is $30,000.

Priority will be given to projects that:
----propose a balanced exchange between the MIT and international participants
----demonstrate complementarity between the MIT and international teams
----involve undergraduate and graduate students
How do African scholars get this opportunity

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 3:10pm On Dec 11, 2020
olawalepopoola:
I am a Nigerian trained Scientist and I had made a promise to myself to publish in top journals especially in SCOUPUS/SCI/SCIE journals. Being Nigerian trained doesn't make you inferior. The most important thing is to follow international best practices in research. I am rounding up my PhD (if not for ASUU strike) very soon and I am already getting opportunities for postdoc in China and South Africa.
That's the 'spirit'.More power to your elbow!
I just wonder when Nigeria-based Scholars will stop depending on 'Funders' to conduct their research!
Any way,i think it's a 'mentality problem'.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.