Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,704 members, 7,802,095 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (325258 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 8:38pm On Jan 30, 2021
Limitbreaker75:
House please can someone suggest a good ph.d topic for me in Accounting (public sector accounting, auditing and environmental accounting)
Check: www.dryinkconsulting.com
Click on 'find out more' on the 'Academic consulting' menu.
You can check if your area(s) of interest is/are captured.

Goodluck to you!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by YakubuLagos(f): 11:14am On Jan 31, 2021
Good morning everyone.

Thank God I found an educative thread like this.

I just finished my MSc in Information Technology.

The question is, can I go back to Engineering for my PhD with MSc in Information Technology? My B.Eng is Computer Engineering.

Also, which of the Nigerian universities can I proceed with for my PhD if the event I'm unable to proceed to Engineering? I discovered most Nigeria universities don't offer information Technology at PhD level.

Your guidance is paramount to my next step as I await your response.

Happy weekend in advance!!!

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Goodlucknigeria: 4:42pm On Jan 31, 2021
YakubuLagos:
Good morning everyone.

The question is, can I go back to Engineering for my PhD with MSc in Information Technology? My B.Eng is Computer Engineering.

Also, which of the Nigerian universities can I proceed with for my PhD if the event I'm unable to proceed to Engineering? I discovered most Nigeria universities don't offer information Technology at PhD level.

With your first degree in Engineering, a PhD in Engineering is possible even with your MSc in Information Technology.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Goodlucknigeria: 4:44pm On Jan 31, 2021
wip7:
Just Published: Treatment of Olive mill wastewater.

The study was directed to treat olive mill containing heavily loaded phytotoxic phenols. This is part of funded research; here only phenol was degraded and next research COD removal and recovery of valuables from the wastewater are researched.

Work was solely carried out by WIP7 and published in the Journal of Water Process with an impact factor of 3.47 and indexed in SCI.

Prof you are certainly setting the pace in academics. Congratulations on your recent publication

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ProfDave123: 5:18pm On Jan 31, 2021
Sir please look for away and continue your PhD abroad. You will be glad you did.

YakubuLagos:
Good morning everyone.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by daphor11: 8:29am On Feb 01, 2021
Good morning, I sincerly have been thinking on a very good and researchable PhD topics in Agricultural economics. Anyone who can help with this?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by TheLasyBuddha: 8:37am On Feb 01, 2021
daphor11:
Good morning, I sincerly have been thinking on a very good and researchable PhD topics in Agricultural economics. Anyone who can help with this?

Hi there,

It might be difficult to come with a well-fit PhD topic if you don't study regularly. I don't know if there are experts in your discipline on this thread but a suitable way to come up with a researchable topic is to study (AND think).

Best wishes.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TheLasyBuddha: 8:43am On Feb 01, 2021
FlowAssurance:
Anyone going for the Commonwealth PhD FSB Nomination interview in Abuja between 2nd - 4th February?

Hi FlowAssurance,
I would be interested in the outcome of this.
My girlfriend applied for this through a nominating agency she's a member of.
She's waiting for an offer from the university she applied to. Although, a supporting statement from a prospective supervisor has been sent to the CSC. Might I ask, have you had a prospective supervisor send a supporting statement?

What's your discipline? My girlfriend's discipline is Social Work.

Hoping to read your response.

Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by FlowAssurance: 9:49am On Feb 01, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Hi FlowAssurance,
I would be interested in the outcome of this.
My girlfriend applied for this through a nominating agency she's a member of.
She's waiting for an offer from the university she applied to. Although, a supporting statement from a prospective supervisor has been sent to the CSC. Might I ask, have you had a prospective supervisor send a supporting statement?

What's your discipline? My girlfriend's discipline is Social Work.

Hoping to read your response.

Best wishes.
Yes, my prospective supervisor has sent a supporting statement and I have gotten an admission to the school. My discipline is in Energy.

Wishing her all the best.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TheLasyBuddha: 11:04am On Feb 01, 2021
FlowAssurance:
Yes, my prospective supervisor has sent a supporting statement and I have gotten an admission to the school. My discipline is in Renewable Energy.

Wishing her all the best.

Wow! Impressive!
Did it take time for the school to make a decision?
We only started applying in the second week of January. It was a bit tedious but we did.

When is your interview scheduled for?

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by FlowAssurance: 6:32pm On Feb 01, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Wow! Impressive!
Did it take time for the school to make a decision?
We only started applying in the second week of January. It was a bit tedious but we did.

When is your interview scheduled for?
It took about a week for the admission decision. UK admission is not so difficult, so she will get it soonest.
Yes, the application is tad tedious and it is more annoying when you realize you need to secure a nomination before the CSC will decide to look at your application.

My interview is scheduled for Wednesday. When is her own?

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by taiwo92(m): 7:23pm On Feb 01, 2021
speakout2015:
#scholarship Opportunities#

Is there anyone applying for this?

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by daphor11: 9:20pm On Feb 01, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Hi there,

It might be difficult to come with a well-fit PhD topic if you don't study regularly. I don't know if there are experts in your discipline on this thread but a suitable way to come up with a researchable topic is to study (AND think).

Best wishes.

Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TheLasyBuddha: 9:40am On Feb 02, 2021
FlowAssurance:
It took about a week for the admission decision. UK admission is not so difficult, so she will get it soonest.
Yes, the application is tad tedious and it is more annoying when you realize you need to secure a nomination before the CSC will decide to look at your application.

My interview is scheduled for Wednesday. When is her own?

That unfortunate part of the CSC is you have to be nominated to be considered. I just weak.
I wish you all the best in your interview tomorrow.
Well, she's applying through the Nominating Agency pathway. She's a member of Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE). Babe na lecturer.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by 1144AK(m): 1:44pm On Feb 07, 2021
Hello guys I wanted to know what profitable masters degree a bsc physiology graduate can go into.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by linked: 1:55pm On Feb 07, 2021
1144AK:
Hello guys I wanted to know what profitable masters degree a bsc physiology graduate can go into.
Do a masters in Global Mental Health. If possible, study the course at any of JHU, LSHTM or Harvard-Chan School. You will not go wrong.

Modified: My previous answer was based on a wrong assumption that you studied psychology in your undergrad. Nonetheless, I'll suggest an MSc in Medical Statistics if you are numerical.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 12:03pm On Feb 09, 2021
Just Published (Feb 09): Reduction of chemical oxygen demand from olive mill wastewater

As part of ongoing funded research; the current study focused on the reduction of chemical oxygen demand (COD) from phytotoxic polyphenol polluted olive mill wastewater via low-cost photocatalytic tech.

Note: Higher COD levels mean a greater amount of oxidizable organic material in the sample, which will reduce dissolved oxygen (DO) levels in the water which is highly dangerous. This research reduced the COD by nearly 99% making the wastewater useable for irrigation.

Researcher: Work solely carried out by WIP7 and published in JCIS having impact factor of 7.5 and indexed under SCI. The funding is aimed to study and design a 1000 L cost-efficient treatment system specifically for olive mill wastewater.

The earlier part of the research was published: https://www.nairaland.com/2044554/thread-phd-students/82#98437879

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Goodlucknigeria: 2:22pm On Feb 09, 2021
wip7:
Just Published (Feb 09): Reduction of chemical oxygen demand from olive mill wastewater

As part of ongoing funded research; the current study focused on the reduction of chemical oxygen demand (COD) from phytotoxic polyphenol polluted olive mill wastewater via low-cost photocatalytic tech.

Note: Higher COD levels mean a greater amount of oxidizable organic material in the sample, which will reduce dissolved oxygen (DO) levels in the water which is highly dangerous. This research reduced the COD by nearly 99% making the wastewater useable for irrigation.

Researcher: Work solely carried out by WIP7 and published in JCIS having impact factor of 7.5 and indexed under SCI. The funding is aimed to study and design a 1000 L cost-efficient treatment system specifically for olive mill wastewater.

The earlier part of the research was published: https://www.nairaland.com/2044554/thread-phd-students/82#98437879

7.5 impact factor? This is beautiful I must say! Well done Prof.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 4:49pm On Feb 09, 2021
Goodlucknigeria:

7.5 impact factor? This is beautiful I must say! Well done Prof.

Thank you sir/Ma!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 12:53am On Feb 10, 2021
Anyone here who is presently in a PhD program in management? I want to ask some questions. Specialty in Marketing, Strategy, Operations, Entrepreneurship, Leadership or any other nice area.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ketima: 7:44am On Feb 10, 2021
Nice to see suck thread.
My profile

BSc Accounting (Nigeria)
Msc Accounting and financial management (uk)
PhD Accounting (Nigeria)

Was meant to conclude my PhD last year but sit to corona and strike still on my proposal defence.

Wants to do another PhD after finishing my current PhD.

Three (3) publications, many seminars

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:43am On Feb 10, 2021
Ketima:
Nice to see suck thread.
My profile

BSc Accounting (Nigeria)
Msc Accounting and financial management (uk)
PhD Accounting (Nigeria)

Was meant to conclude my PhD last year but sit to corona and strike still on my proposal defence.

Thank you for stopping by; this particular thread was opened to encourage, support, and guide intending and current Ph.D. students. You said you were meant to conclude your PhD last year but still on your proposal defence; seems very contrasting. I did not study in Nigeria but I don't think that's how it should be. A proposal must have been defended earlier before your commenced your Ph.D., unless the Ph.D. in Nigeria is different from what am conversant with

Three (3) publications, many seminars

For the sake of all of us trying to learn, can you give us the titles of your 3 publications and name of the journals you published them?

Wants to do another PhD after finishing my current PhD.

However, your profile here on Feb 09, 2021, is totally different from what you posted on this thread, below you stated you are going for Master in Education; https://www.nairaland.com/6321900/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/233#98891017

Am just curious how much you love education, like you are doing PhD, want to do the second PhD and you had a master in Accounting and Financial Management from the UK and want to do Another master or diploma in Canada. Kindly share your publication titles/journals so that upcoming education lover can be inspired.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by YakubuLagos(f): 3:01pm On Feb 12, 2021
At wip7. Hope you are doing great?

Please, explain this for me.

1) You are required to prepare a draft manuscript. ( Between 6000-7000 words)

2) The first step involves the submission of an abstract and the proposed structure (section and subsections you intend to cover)

3) After the approval of the structure, the first draft of the assignment is expected.

The topic is: Information Technology Application in the energy sector.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 4:54pm On Feb 12, 2021
YakubuLagos:
At wip7. Hope you are doing great?

Please, explain this for me.

1) You are required to prepare a draft manuscript. ( Between 6000-7000 words)

2) The first step involves the submission of an abstract and the proposed structure (section and subsections you intend to cover)

3) After the approval of the structure, the first draft of the assignment is expected.

The topic is: Information Technology Application in the energy sector.

Hello,

All you listed seem to be a guide and it’s self-explanatory. Follow the steps and do as expected.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Admitwithschola: 6:54pm On Feb 12, 2021
I thought this might be of interest to some of you:
Mathematics Training for Economics, Finance and Management PhD Applicants
[b][/b]

As part of our continued contribution to the improvement of human capital in Nigeria, we are offering a 9-month certificate course in mathematics. The purpose of this course is to improve the mathematical background of candidates intending to pursue a PhD in a quantitative social science or business field, but who have not been exposed to the varied mathematical tools used quantitative social science or business at the (advanced) graduate level. The 9-month course will cover proper mathematics courses, including real analysis, linear algebra, differential equations, multivariate calculus, applied functional analysis (mainly optimization) and, for the most gifted and talented, measure theory and topology.

For selected applicants, the cost of attending the course is FREE. For non-selected applicants, unfortunately we do not accept tuition fees for admission to the certificate course. The course is taught online by a distinguished associate professor of mathematics.

For those eager to attend, please email your applications to – info@baumtenpers.com and baumtenpers@gmail.com
Deadline for sending your applications is 24 February 2021. Please including the following in your application packets:
1. Your BSc and MSc transcripts (or BSc for those who don’t have MSc)
2. Letter of intention to participate in the certificate program
3. 2 letters from people who can vouch for your character and ability

This course is most beneficial to those who wish to apply for a PhD in Economics, Finance or Statistics in Canada or the US and want to show that they have taken and excelled in the prerequisite mathematics courses for PhD.

At the end of the program, transcripts will be issued to successful candidates.

Signed
Mgt

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Yildiz: 1:30pm On Feb 13, 2021
Hello professor. First of all I am currently a Computer Science PhD student in China. My research is on Graph Neural Networks based Sequential Recommendation. I would like your input on something please. The requirements for graduation is basically 3 SCI papers then a thesis ofcourse. My concern is will 3 papers be enough to compete for a postdoc position especially in European Universities? To add more context, the duration of the PhD is 3-4 years and so far I just completed 1.5 years. Again I have 2 papers under review, 1 at Knowledge based systems and the other at Neurocomputing. If 3 papers will be okay then I could graduate at 3 years. Thank you in advance

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Admitwithschola: 4:26pm On Feb 13, 2021
Yildiz:
Hello professor. First of all I am currently a Computer Science PhD student in China. My research is on Graph Neural Networks based Sequential Recommendation. I would like your input on something please. The requirements for graduation is basically 3 SCI papers then a thesis ofcourse. My concern is will 3 papers be enough to compete for a postdoc position especially in European Universities? To add more context, the duration of the PhD is 3-4 years and so far I just completed 1.5 years. Again I have 2 papers under review, 1 at Knowledge based systems and the other at Neurocomputing. If 3 papers will be okay then I could graduate at 3 years. Thank you in advance

I will choose someone with 3 quality papers published in the major journals of a field over someone with 23 papers published in the minor journals of that field.

To your question, if your 3 papers are in the best journals in your field or if they are in some very respectable journals in your field, then I imagine you would look competitive wherever you apply.

For example, if your 3 papers are published in some of these journals - https://blog.typeset.io/top-16-international-computer-science-journals-a-template-guide-3b838a7fd902, then I believe you are competitive.

It is not by the volume of your papers. Quality and impact matter.

Nevertheless, I would suggest you to still apply widely for a postdoc, no matter what your current publication record looks like. Anything can happen.

I have seen people with only promising working papers, but working papers nonetheless, get accepted into highly coveted Postdoc programmes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by worldfezzy(m): 8:25pm On Feb 13, 2021
Hello house,
Please I need scholars or experts or PhD students in the field of STOCHASTIC CALCULUS.... I am starting my PhD this year in that area.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:29pm On Feb 13, 2021
Yildiz:
Hello professor. First of all I am currently a Computer Science PhD student in China. My research is on Graph Neural Networks based Sequential Recommendation. I would like your input on something please. The requirements for graduation is basically 3 SCI papers then a thesis ofcourse. My concern is will 3 papers be enough to compete for a postdoc position especially in European Universities?

The 3 papers requested are just a graduation requirement and you are not limited to get more. To answer the question; 3 SCI papers are not enough considering the current trend in the EU now; you will be competing with graduates from other EU, USA, Africa, and Asian universities with several papers. Considering my experience as an external jury/reviewer for postdoc and grants in many EU countries; some of the important factors the reviewers check are:

----Background skills and experience
----Number of reputable journals that are accessed in WOS (very important)
--- WOS citations (excluding self-citation)
----H-index (in WOS)
----Your percentage as the first author and as the corresponding author in your papers accessed in WOS

Each of these parameters is allocated a point which varies across universities.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Yildiz: 10:51pm On Feb 13, 2021
Thank you very much for your reply. However I must point out that here in China students can hardly be corresponding authors. It's like a norm. Secondly both journals are present in WOS and are Q1 papers with impact factor of 5.9 and 4.4. But current trend in the world for my field is conference papers. Top universities and research institutions mostly publish their work in top tier conferences which my supervisor is not a fan of. She prefers the traditional journal route. I am kind of confused actually... H-index and citations would then be difficult since conferences are the preferred route. Although during my masters in Turkey I published 4 papers but not related to my current work.
wip7:

The 3 papers requested are just a graduation requirement and you are not limited to get more. To answer the question; 3 SCI papers are not enough considering the current trend in the EU now; you will be competing with graduates from other EU, USA, Africa, and Asian universities with several papers. Considering my experience as an external jury/reviewer for postdoc and grants in many EU countries; some of the important factors the reviewers check are:

----Background skills and experience
----Number of reputable journals that are accessed in WOS (very important)
--- WOS citations (excluding self-citation)
----H-index (in WOS)
----Your percentage as the first author and as the corresponding author in your papers accessed in WOS

Each of these parameters is allocated a point which varies across universities.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Yildiz: 10:55pm On Feb 13, 2021
Thank you some much. However in my field it is highly difficult to define the best journal for it. The most relevant publication venue should be Recommender Systems conference. However it is not even listed in the approved Chinese Computer Foundation list of conferences and journals. Also while China and some European countries still publish in journals, others have concentrated on conferences.
Admitwithschola:

I will choose someone with 3 quality papers published in the major journals of a field over someone with 23 papers published in the minor journals of that field.

To your question, if your 3 papers are in the best journals in your field or if they are in some very respectable journals in your field, then I imagine you would look competitive wherever you apply.

For example, if your 3 papers are published in some of these journals - https://blog.typeset.io/top-16-international-computer-science-journals-a-template-guide-3b838a7fd902, then I believe you are competitive.

It is not by the volume of your papers. Quality and impact matter.

Nevertheless, I would suggest you to still apply widely for a postdoc, no matter what your current publication record looks like. Anything can happen.

I have seen people with only promising working papers, but working papers nonetheless, get accepted into highly coveted Postdoc programmes

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.