Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,652 members, 7,801,900 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (120) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (228861 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Hakeem12(m): 2:28pm On Jun 06, 2020
raptex:
Nobody is talking about Mubarak Bala again. What's the latest update on his case?
Dude's probably dead by now

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:54pm On Jun 08, 2020
Jekwu Ozoemene

There is so much wrong, so much indoctrination in the history we were taught in Nigeria and Africa.

Only deep, thorough and open minded education can unwind the calculated misinformation. Unfortunately, most of us have closed minds and our borrowed religions helped cement that white - good, black- bad mental dichotomy.

I have spent the last 48 hours explaining to educated Nigerians that not only did the Church promote, justify and benefit immensely from the Trans Atlantic slave trade, other than economics, the bible was the primary tool used to enslave our ancestors.

But Nigerian Christians wanted to chew me raw.

Not even after I pointed out that the heads of almost all (if not all) denominations of Christianity have since apologized for their ignoble role.

Whosai!

Tell me, what level of indoctrination forces at best second generation Nigeria Christians to claim that their religion did not do something? Meanwhile, those who did it (the heads of every major denomination of the Church) and introduced the religion to us have since apologized for the crime (let's not talk about reparations yet) and asked for forgiveness.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:56pm On Jun 08, 2020
Ephesians 6:5-8
New International Version

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect(A) and fear, and with sincerity of heart,(B) just as you would obey Christ.(C)

6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ,(D) doing the will of God from your heart.

7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people,(E)

8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do,(F) whether they are slave or free.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:57pm On Jun 08, 2020
The Bible ticks 3 major boxes on slavery;

1. Purchase of humans as possessions.
2. Torture of humans.
3. Bequeathing of humans to offsprings as inheritance.
Now, kindly read what is written in our holy bible;

Lev. 25: 44-46
“As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.”

Exodus 21: 20-21
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.”

Exodus 21: 26-27
“When a man strikes the eye of his slave, male or female, and destroys it, he shall let the slave go free because of his eye. If he knocks out the tooth of his slave, male or female, he shall let the slave go free because of his tooth.”

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:17pm On Jun 10, 2020
HOW TO PROVE GOD EXISTS

I know talking to atheists can be exasperating for theists. Atheists keep asking for evidence but they reject all the evidence offered. Honestly, this is not atheists being bloody-minded, it is theists not understanding what evidence is.

If you are a lawyer, a police detective or a scientist, you should know exactly what evidence is but I find even people from these professions cannot always define evidence--it is often a case of "I know it when I see it". So here are my three easy-as-pie rules for the evidence. You can use them to demonstrate the existence of the god of your choice. Evidence must satisfy all three rules for it to be valid.

1. Evidence is an observable and verifiable fact.
a) You may need tools like a microscope, a radio detector, chemical analysis etc. to observe the evidence--evidence does not have to be observable with the naked eye.
b) The evidence does not have to be direct evidence of the god itself--it could arise indirectly as a consequence of the existence of the god.

2. The evidence must be consistent with the existence of the god in question but not with the existence of any other god.

3. It must be impossible for the evidence to be found if the god in question does not exist.

To summarize these rules, facts that are consistent with many different gods are not valid evidence for the existence of a specific god and nor are facts that could be found whether or not the god in question exists.

Let's look at two common pieces of evidence people give for their god-belief and discuss why they are discarded by people who understand the nature of evidence.

The Existence of Life
The most common evidence offered by theists is the existence of something that cannot yet be explained, such as the existence of life--"The existence of life proves Lord Brahma exists".

This evidence passes rule (1). Life is an observable and verifiable fact. However, it does not pass rule (2). There are several hundred different gods that have been proposed as the creator of life and the evidence of life does not point uniquely to the god in question.

The evidence also fails test (3). We cannot say it is impossible that life could exist if the god in question did not exist. Unknown natural processes may have caused life to come about. We simply cannot rule out this possibility.

So the evidence of life fails two of the three tests and is, therefore, disqualified.

Personal Experience
The second most common evidence offered is personal experience. People say thinking about the god in question makes them feel happy and at peace and they may sense the presence of that god or have a conversation with it--"I know Allah exists, I experience him."

This evidence passes test (1). It is observable by the person having the experience although it is difficult to verify. However, recent work using various type of brain scanning has shown consistent patterns of brain activity occur during these experiences so we can accept these personal experiences are facts.

Unfortunately, this evidence does not pass tests (2) and (3). Any god with the ability to put thoughts into your brain could be responsible for these experiences, we have no way to be certain they are caused by the god in question. And it is possible for these experiences to occur without the god in question existing--they could be generated by the brain itself. Indeed, we have evidence that identical experiences can occur through wholly natural causes.

This evidence also fails two out of three tests and must be disqualified.

So theists, before you offer evidence that a god exists, please check it against the three rules of evidence. If it does not satisfy all three rules, forget it and keep looking. But you shouldn't feel too bad about it--people have been searching for valid evidence for gods for at least 3,000 years and all have failed.

You might like to ask yourself one final question though. If we have no valid evidence for any god, why have billions of humans been certain that thousands of different gods have existed over many thousand years? Odd isn't it?

It doesn't look as though evidence has played any role in the human experience of gods.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by atheistandproud(m): 2:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
joseph1013:
HOW TO PROVE GOD EXISTS

I know talking to atheists can be exasperating for theists. Atheists keep asking for evidence but they reject all the evidence offered. Honestly, this is not atheists being bloody-minded, it is theists not understanding what evidence is.

If you are a lawyer, a police detective or a scientist, you should know exactly what evidence is but I find even people from these professions cannot always define evidence--it is often a case of "I know it when I see it". So here are my three easy-as-pie rules for the evidence. You can use them to demonstrate the existence of the god of your choice. Evidence must satisfy all three rules for it to be valid.

1. Evidence is an observable and verifiable fact.
a) You may need tools like a microscope, a radio detector, chemical analysis etc. to observe the evidence--evidence does not have to be observable with the naked eye.
b) The evidence does not have to be direct evidence of the god itself--it could arise indirectly as a consequence of the existence of the god.

2. The evidence must be consistent with the existence of the god in question but not with the existence of any other god.

3. It must be impossible for the evidence to be found if the god in question does not exist.

To summarize these rules, facts that are consistent with many different gods are not valid evidence for the existence of a specific god and nor are facts that could be found whether or not the god in question exists.

Let's look at two common pieces of evidence people give for their god-belief and discuss why they are discarded by people who understand the nature of evidence.

The Existence of Life
The most common evidence offered by theists is the existence of something that cannot yet be explained, such as the existence of life--"The existence of life proves Lord Brahma exists".

This evidence passes rule (1). Life is an observable and verifiable fact. However, it does not pass rule (2). There are several hundred different gods that have been proposed as the creator of life and the evidence of life does not point uniquely to the god in question.

The evidence also fails test (3). We cannot say it is impossible that life could exist if the god in question did not exist. Unknown natural processes may have caused life to come about. We simply cannot rule out this possibility.

So the evidence of life fails two of the three tests and is, therefore, disqualified.

Personal Experience
The second most common evidence offered is personal experience. People say thinking about the god in question makes them feel happy and at peace and they may sense the presence of that god or have a conversation with it--"I know Allah exists, I experience him."

This evidence passes test (1). It is observable by the person having the experience although it is difficult to verify. However, recent work using various type of brain scanning has shown consistent patterns of brain activity occur during these experiences so we can accept these personal experiences are facts.

Unfortunately, this evidence does not pass tests (2) and (3). Any god with the ability to put thoughts into your brain could be responsible for these experiences, we have no way to be certain they are caused by the god in question. And it is possible for these experiences to occur without the god in question existing--they could be generated by the brain itself. Indeed, we have evidence that identical experiences can occur through wholly natural causes.

This evidence also fails two out of three tests and must be disqualified.

So theists, before you offer evidence that a god exists, please check it against the three rules of evidence. If it does not satisfy all three rules, forget it and keep looking. But you shouldn't feel too bad about it--people have been searching for valid evidence for gods for at least 3,000 years and all have failed.

You might like to ask yourself one final question though. If we have no valid evidence for any god, why have billions of humans been certain that thousands of different gods have existed over many thousand years? Odd isn't it?

It doesn't look as though evidence has played any role in the human experience of gods.

Where do you live? I owe you a bottle of Smirnoff ice.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 9:33pm On Jun 12, 2020
"""""Yes we serve god by faith, which is a poor substitute for "knowledge"

I don't know who created the world, and I want to find out.
I won't sit in my room and just say that since Greek myth is the first book I read, it was Zeus.

That's just being lazy""""

AND FOOLISH.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:41pm On Jun 14, 2020
Charles Ihemadu

Important clarification. This is not an anti religious post, this is just giving us something to think about.

Two books, I own and cherish are the Holy Bible and the Holy Qu'ran. I disagree with lots of what is contained in both but not all of it. I find great wisdom in them and the teachings they contain and I try to read both as often as I can.

During my youth service, I had the privilege of arguing and discussing with a Northern Muslim. As bitter as our arguments were, it remained civil and he made me appreciate so much about Islam, that I had never before understood. He gave me his personal copy of the Qu'ran as a parting gift, a gesture I can never forget.

The older I grow, the more my ignorance frightens me. The more I read, the less it seems I know. Which is why I get worried whenever I see people with such limited knowledge, making bold statements and holding them as facts.

Once again, a friend urged me to return to Christ or else, I will go to hell when I die. Now, I do not know what happens when a person dies and last I checked, there are no eye witness accounts for obvious reasons. However, let's examine what we do know.

According to current UN estimates, there are currently 7.8 billion people on earth. The last study I could find, puts the estimated number of Christians in the world at 31%(2.1 billion), Muslims at 23% (1.5 billion). This means 46% of the world do not worship either the Christian God or Allah. They are either non religious or affiliated with one of the several hundreds of other religions, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, African traditional religion etc.

Back to the Bible and Qu'ran.
In the course of my interaction with lots of religious people, several of them have told me that Muslims and Christans, worship the same God but merely call him by different names. Therefore, it is better for my soul that I am a Muslim than I do not believe in any God.

Now that sounds sensible and I wish it were true, especially for the sake of peace in the world. Unfortunately, having read both books extensively, and their clear difference paths to salvation. Such bold claims, don't add up.

John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.
John 14:6 goes on to say "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me"

Meanwhile, Sura 19 (Maryam) 34-38 says
"Such is Isa, the son of Maryam - the word of truth about which they doubt. It befits not the majesty of Allah that he should beget a son;[This refers to the slander of Christians against Allah, by saying Isa(Jesus) is the son of Allah] Glorified and Exalted is He (above all they associate with Him). When He decrees a thing, He only says to it, "Be," and it is. Isa said "And indeed, Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. That is a straight path." Then the sects differed [concerning Jesus] from among them, so woe to the disbelievers (those who gave false witness by saying Isa is the son of Allah) - from the meeting of a tremendous Day(day of resurrection) when they shall be thrown in the blazing fire. How [clearly] they will hear and see the Day they come to Us, but the wrongdoers today are in clear error. And warn them, [O Muhammad], of the Day of Regret, when the matter will be concluded; and [yet], they are in [a state of] heedlessness, and they do not believe."

Clearly both major religions are not the same and both can't be right and at least one of the major adherents of those faith wouldn't go to heaven. If you are a Christian and die, only go discover Allah is the true God. You would be going to hell and vice versa.

My aim of pointing this out, is not to cause religious conflict but to teach you all humility. Stop threatening people who don't agree with your faith that they are going to hell because you don't even know where you are going.

So many Christians have never taken out time to study other faiths, same with Muslims. Doing so I believe would help create a balanced perspective and bring about peace and respect for the views of others.

Have you ever asked yourself the same question you ask me? What if I am wrong about my faith?

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:50am On Jun 16, 2020
Charles Ihemadu wrote:

" Be wary, each time someone tells you. This is not our culture, this might be acceptable elsewhere but it is not allowed here.

The story of Alan Turing, perhaps best demonstrates this.

Last year when I read that Allan Turing is going to be the face of the new £50 note, coming out in 2021. I laughed at how time makes a mockery of our cultural values and makes fools of us.

A bit about Alan Turing before I make my point.

Alan Turing was an astute mathematician, one of the greatest and one of the most brilliant minds to have lived. His work in decrypting the Nazi enigma code, saved millions of lives and is reported to have shortened the length of World War II by two years. His work is said to have laid the foundation for the modern day Computer and Artificial Intelligence.

Yet, he died miserably at 41, reportedly committing suicide two years after undergoing chemical castration as an alternative to going to prison. All that was known about him for decades, was being a homosexual who committed suicide.

68 years ago when he died, no one in Britain would have believed that one day. The British Prime Minister would not only apologize for his shameful treatment by the country he served faithfully but also a law would be passed in his honour and informally named after him. Granting pardon to all those previously convicted of such offenses and other offences no longer regarded as crimes.

So when I read the news then, I immediately remembered a chapter in one of the most important books I have ever read. The author, Richard Dawkins refered to a shifting moral landscape every society experiences, as time goes on. He called it, the Moral Zeitgeist (Spirit of the times). In his opinion, morality is constantly evolving and therefore there can't be an ultimate moral code.

When we think back, we ask ourselves. How could humans ever justify owning their fellow humans as slaves. Yet, Slavery was once one of the most fashionable businesses to engage in. You could say, it was part of the culture then to own slaves, and slave owners were considered respectable and powerful.

It hasn't been so long ago depending on the country you examine, that in various cultures. Women were not considered equal to men, anymore than a Black man was. Neither had several rights including, being allowed to vote and be voted for, owning or inheriting properties in their own name. Instituting court cases or entering into contracts etc.

Do we still agree any of the above are right?
My view on morality is simple, if it is wrong today. It means it has always been wrong even when the whole world accepted it as right.

That is why, I feel the story of Allan Turing, teaches us to not be short sighted. In our eagerness to scream, this is not our culture regarding issues that clearly violates the rights of others. We should not neglect to look beyond the present and into the future, asking ourselves.

In a hundred years from now, would our practices be considered inhumane, leaving our descendents to wonder what sort of terrible humans we were? Would they have to apologize for our actions?"

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:38am On Jun 24, 2020
EVERY CHILD...

Every child who was told he was born a sinner and guilty of terrible crimes committed by his distant ancestors, and that he might be burnt alive and suffer forever...

Every child who was told he is prey to demons and witches and evil spells that can disable, disfigure or destroy him...

Every child who was told he is continuously watched by an invisible man who knows the child's every thought and who will judge him when he dies...

Every such child deserves a profound and remorseful apology from the adults who planted those lies.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Kobojunkie: 3:43pm On Jun 24, 2020
joseph1013:
EVERY CHILD...

Every child who was told he was born a sinner and guilty of terrible crimes committed by his distant ancestors, and that he might be burnt alive and suffer forever...

Every child who was told he is prey to demons and witches and evil spells that can disable, disfigure or destroy him...

Every child who was told he is continuously watched by an invisible man who knows the child's every thought and who will judge him when he dies...

Every such child deserves a profound and remorseful apology from the adults who planted those lies.
I concur

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Xmuslim: 4:31pm On Jun 24, 2020
joseph1013:
Hi friends, I don't even know if I can follow through with this and continue infinitely like I would love to do. I don't know. I only have a feeling that writing best captures what I have to say.

This page will be my questions and thoughts page.

I am not naive enough to expect that most who come to this page will abandon the faith they hold dear, but I do hope to convince my readers that many of us who walk away have not done so out of a rebellious, juvenile whim, but rather out of a careful weighing of the reasons for and against our former faith. Our decision, far from being "sad," as many of my friends and family perceive it, represents a move from unquestioning acceptance of tradition to a spirit of openness and adventure that pursues the evidence wherever it leads. We left in pursuit of truth.

A little about me: I grew up in a devoted Christian family, loving the Lord. I was devoted and zealous. I was the 'dream' child. And because I was equally brilliant, parents pointed me as an example to their kids.

Of course as I grew up, I had questions. One of the earliest I remember was asking how Cain had a wife if there were only three people on earth (Abel having died). The answer my mum gave to that and many of the innocent questions of mine at a tender age was that I should make sure I get to heaven so I can ask God myself. It didn't prove sufficient but what was a child to do otherwise?

I was a part of my school christian groups. I also remember being picked by the Children Church's teachers to preach to the entire Church congregation on Children's Sunday. It was awesome.

When I got to one of the foremost Federal Universities, I could not be more devoted. I was now into theological texts and got more than five translations of the Bible. I was a walking bible. Of course, there were no bible apps at that time. I consumed alot of religious materials, and read books by so many Christian authors. I also got into reading Islamic texts, mainly so I could know what I was talking about when I encountered Muslim apologists, and oh I was very successful with them.

With time, I was made a Pastor of one of the most vibrant fellowships on Campus. We did not only study the Greek and Hebrew renditions, we knew at heart copious parts of scriptures and could reel them out in our sleep. We were respected on Campus, not the least by the Christian community. We would argue scriptures and rattle men with our knowledge of the redemptive work of Christ and the concept of the New Creation.

As an Engineering student, I spent 3 of my 5 years being a Pastor of this fellowship.

It was after my NYSC that I came across certain comments in books that made me look twice and search further to see if what I had believed and devoted my time to were indeed true.

I have been on this journey for a while now and I can say that I have come to a stage where I can sufficiently say that I am longer a Christian or a religionist. I do not conclusively deny the existence of God, but I can totally say that nobody has given me a convincing evidence for the existence of the Abrahamic God.

Some have told me that I am angry with God. That cannot be true, for you cannot get angry with something you are convinced does not exist in the context that I mentioned earlier. Some have said I believed wrongly, to these folks I say they know not what they sayeth.

I invite Christian readers, as well as other God-believers to consider the possibility that my apostasy is a result not of divine or diabolical deception but of a simple weighing of the evidence ... It might be that I am wrong. It might be that I have not sought God sufficiently or studied the Bible thoroughly enough or listened carefully enough to the many Christians who have admonished me ... Maybe. But the knowledge that billions of seekers have lived and died, calling out to God for some definitive revelation without ever receiving it, or receiving revelation that conflicts with the revelation others have found, contributes to my suspicion that there is no personal God who reveals himself to anyone.

One of my primary reasons for having this page is self-serving: I do not relish knowing that others consider me to be on the road to eternal damnation if I don't repent, and I want to do what I can to change their perception of those of us who do not share their faith. Yet is this self-serving endeavour reckless? If I believed it would worsen the lives of all those who follow my thoughts and questions, then yes, it would be reckless. But I am convinced that life can actually improve for those who come to understand that our earthly existence is not simply a stage, a cosmic morality play, a precursor to an eternity to come. This life is the real (and only) deal.

Enjoy...

And hey, if you look at my Nairaland history, I do love Football a lot and I'm an investment buff. I'm interested in Politics too and most of all, I love adventure. I love to travel and see new places. I'm also an eclectic reader. Who says unbelievers have a boring life? tongue

Hi friend, your thread is one of the threads I used to visit frequently when I was doubting my faith. You did great in your write up and it's part of the reason I became more confident, which ultimately lead to my apostasy.

5 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Xmuslim: 7:26pm On Jun 24, 2020
joseph1013:
EVERY CHILD...

Brother Hassan, I left Islam years ago and gained awareness of the absurdities set forth within the islamic dogma. Yet i am still having recurrent nightmares and redundant thoughts about the atrocious tales of hell and Aadab alqabr (the punishment in the grave) I have been told in my childhood. Sometimes i feel tempted to take on the wager in order to calm my nerves and have calmer nights of sleep but my conscience takes over, it reminds me that fear is the factor which allows political islam to thrive and to oppress people in lands in which the power dynamics are favoring Islam.

Emperior justinien (from YouTube)

The childhood indoctrination is the worst crime against children

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by IMAliyu(m): 8:09pm On Jun 24, 2020
joseph1013:
EVERY CHILD...

You make it sound like those adults know that they are lying and they themselves are not victims of such indoctrination.
Those same adults live in fear of hell, demons, judgement and God.
If you want someone to apologise look at the people that came up this stuff thousands of years ago.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jun 24, 2020
IMAliyu:

You make it sound like those adults know that they are lying and they themselves are not victims of such indoctrination.
If you want someone to apologise look at the people that came up this stuff thousands of years ago.

This really sounds reasonable!

People don't realize some info passed onto them are false not until it's not working out any benefit. My uncle revealed to me at age 11 the secret why Palm wine drinking became an abominable act in our town.
As a brave and inquisitive child thats never scared of their immobile gods, he felt the need to explain to me what was behind it.
Our ancestors came to settle in the town and the only plant they found there was the Palm trees, once it's wine is tapped for drinking the tree dies so there is no hope of getting other useful crops like the Palm oil, kennels and the rest.
So the elders come together and sent the town crier to go and warn all the settlers that no inhabitants must taste Palm wine again "it's now an abomination"
I asked my uncle "is that all?" He said "Yes" but now that we have so many other means of revenue why do you people still hold unto the tradition? undecided
So the same goes with whatever doctrine that's based on falsehood, the secret will be revealed one day and all those who are living by that time will trash it.

Religious indoctrination has caused lots of havoc in the human society, but since we now have freedom of expression, speech and worship, no one has the right to impose such worthless doctrines on others, please that's if they've become adults, so far the person depends on you as in living under your roof, you have the right to dictate what goes on in your own home.

Today the world have advanced and many of the horrible customs and dogmas held by our ancestors are dying gradually. The TRUTH will remain unshakable no matter what because the truth is master at all times! smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by IMAliyu(m): 10:26pm On Jun 24, 2020
Maximus69:

This really sounds reasonable!

People don't realize some info passed onto them are false not until it's not working out any benefit. My uncle revealed to me at age 11 the secret why Palm wine drinking became an abominable act in our town.
As a brave and inquisitive child thats never scared of their immobile gods, he felt the need to explain to me what was behind it.
Our ancestors came to settle in the town and the only plant they found there was the Palm trees, once it's wine is tapped for drinking the tree dies so there is no hope of getting other useful crops like the Palm oil, kennels and the rest.
So the elders come together and sent the town crier to go and warn all the settlers that no inhabitants must taste Palm wine again "it's now an abomination"
I asked my uncle "is that all?" He said "Yes" but now that we have so many other means of revenue why do you people still hold unto the tradition? undecided
So the same goes with whatever doctrine that's based on falsehood, the secret will be revealed one day and all those who are living by that time will trash it.

Religious indoctrination has caused lots of havoc in the human society, but since we now have freedom of expression, speech and worship, no one has the right to impose such worthless doctrines on others, please that's if they've become adults, so far the person depends on you as in living under your roof, you have the right to dictate what goes on in your own home.

Today the world have advanced and many of the horrible customs and dogmas held by our ancestors are dying gradually. The TRUTH will remain unshakable no matter what because the truth is master at all times! smiley
As you've pointed out some of this traditions and stories were made by people for a certain purpose and to get people to act in a certain way for their own benefit (arguably) in that place and time.
The problem becomes when people follow them blindly without any knowledge of there original purpose, even when following it becomes counter productive, but we are human we tend to cling on to dead and useless things out of sentiment.
I can understand the reason for the idea of hell and heaven, and the whole God is watching you thing some times. It's like how do you get people to avoid doing crimes even when they can get away with it? Tell them someone is always watching them and knows their every actions. It's a way of getting people to act accordingly. It's like the story we were told as kids that if you mock a disabled person you will become like them right then and there.
I don't think it was originally as malicious as controlling everyone, but things can get out of hand.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jun 24, 2020
IMAliyu:

As you've pointed out some of this traditions and stories were made by people for a certain purpose and to get people to act in a certain way for their own benefit (arguably) in that place and time.
The problem becomes when people follow them blindly without any knowledge of there original purpose, even when following it becomes counter productive, but we are human we tend to cling on to dead and useless things out of sentiment.
I can understand the reason for the idea of hell and heaven, and the whole God is watching you thing some times. It's like how do you get people to avoid doing crimes even when they can get away with it? Tell them someone is always watching them and knows their every actions. It's a way of getting people to act accordingly. It's like the story we were told as kids that if you mock a disabled person you will become like them right then and there.
I don't think it was originally as malicious as controlling everyone, but things can get out of hand.

God truly exist, it's difficult for dishonest individuals to see him with their mind's eyes. Only honest hearted persons can see him in action. He is a spirit so we can't see him bodily but we can see his works.
Forget about all the stories and miracles found written in those 66 little books but take note of just one single prediction found in the Bible!

God promised a time when people from different races under the sun will continue to divide in groups so that a nation that is supposed to be one will break up to about four nations, each will start changing their rulers and giving them tenures, they hate one another due to the struggle for power, and wars will continue from one place to another. Daniel 2:41-44
During the time the writer was penning down those words, it was monarchy that was practiced globally where a man will rule until he dies and his son will continue after him so that the rulership remains within that single family so there was no way anyone living back then could have reasoned that what Daniel wrote can ever come through (democracy)

Moreover God also promised that during the same time when all these is happening individuals from the same divided different races will be coming out one by one to form on global family, this ones will unite and eradicate killings amongst them, they will not carry weapons for any reason whatsoever neither will they learn war anymore! Micah 4:1-3
So this same book Bible now said 500 years later a man was born in Israel named Jesus, he commissioned a group and taught them how to begin this work of gathering peace lovers throughout the earth, Jesus said at a time when all those who knew him face to face are no more this fine works will stop but it will continue again in the distant future.
Please all these is now fulfilling in our own day!
Over 8,700,000 people from different races under the heavens have come together to form one big and happy family of peace loving worshipers in the name of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES!

So if some are saying they can't see this invisible mighty spirit being at work, well over 8.7 millions throughout the earth are seeing him with their eyes of faith, they've vowed never to participate in world politics or racism again! That's why i said God exists but it's only honest hearted individuals that can see him! smiley

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Bacteriologist(m): 2:22am On Jun 25, 2020
Great great thread.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:11pm On Jul 01, 2020
HOW WE KNOW GOD IS NOT REAL

If there was an omniscient and omnipotent god who:

1. Created the universe for us,
2. Wants us to know him and love him,
3. Loves us all more than we can imagine,
4. Can talk to every one of us individually,
5. Watches all of us every second and monitors every thought we ever have,
6. Responds to requests for help and can change anything in the world he wants to,
7. Is horrified at what will happen to us if we don't acknowledge and love him...

then this god would be the most important thing in our lives, and in the life of every human who ever lived. This god would be ubiquitous, salient and unavoidable.

But this is not how things are. There has been an avalanche of gods who have appeared at different times in human history and have featured in different holy books and given us different rules for eating, dressing, cutting our hair (and Instruments), for treating our fellow humans and much more. These gods have different ideas about how the world was made, what happens to us when we die and what we must do to please them. These discordant gods have looked like humans or animals or heavenly bodies and have even been invisible.

It is very obvious that the world is exactly how we should expect it to be if men invented gods and instructed their children to believe they are real. And it is nothing like how it would be if there really was one omniscient, omnipotent and loving God who created us and oversees our world.

There is only one reasonable conclusion we can draw from this. Men invent gods, submit themselves to them and believe they are real. There may be a god, but it cannot be the omniscient God described above--that god must be a figment of human imagination.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 01, 2020
joseph1013:

[s]If there was an omniscient and omnipotent god who[/s]:

6. Responds to requests for help and can change anything in the world he wants to,
7. Is horrified at what will happen to us if we don't acknowledge and love him...

then this god would be the most important thing in our lives, and in the life of every human who ever lived. This god would be ubiquitous, salient and unavoidable.

But this is not how things are. There has been an avalanche of gods who have appeared at different times in human history and have featured in different holy books and given us different rules for eating, dressing, cutting our hair (and Instruments), for treating our fellow humans and much more. These gods have different ideas about how the world was made, what happens to us when we die and what we must do to please them. These discordant gods have looked like humans or animals or heavenly bodies and have even been invisible.

It is very obvious that the world is exactly how we should expect it to be if men invented gods and instructed their children to believe they are real. And it is nothing like how it would be if there really was one omniscient, omnipotent and loving God who created us and oversees our world.

There is only one reasonable conclusion we can draw from this. Men invent gods, submit themselves to them and believe they are real. There may be a god, but it cannot be the omniscient God described above--that god must be a figment of human imagination.

He is not Omnipotent nor is he omniscient! smiley
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by DappaD: 3:45pm On Jul 01, 2020
Maximus69:

Brother Max please edit smiley
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by DappaD: 4:29pm On Jul 01, 2020
joseph1013:

If there was an omniscient and omnipotent god who:

There is only one true God, Jehovah who made the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1, Jeremiah 32:17)
All other gods are worthless so they shouldn't even be spoken of (Psalm 96:5)
For example, how many of those other man-made gods have been able to predict the future and interpret a prophecy? NONE.
The Bible which is God's Word to humans is inspired of his holy spirit (2Timothy 3:16, 2Peter 1:20-21) has kept a clean record of prophesying the future and interpreted most of it. Something that none of the other worthless man-made gods can never do.

For example, you say other religions have their own gods and claim to have the truth right?

Below are some of the prophesies that have been foretold by God in times past:

1. The Great Deluge (The Flood) :
The great flood which came upon the whole earth and destroyed every living thing except 8 people (Genesis 6:11-21, 1Peter 3:20)
The faithful man Noah was given divine warning of things that he had not seen yet and he acted on it and saved his life and that of his family. (Hebrews 11:7)
The account in the Bible even goes further to give the type of wood and measurements of the ark that carried Noah and his family.
Genesis 6:15
“This is how you will make it: The ark should be 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high.”
After the Flood, the ark “came to rest on the mountains of Ararat” (Genesis 8:4). Ararat is located somewhere in Turkey/Armenia , it's a real place.

Archaeological evidence and findings have proven that the ark was real. Archaeologists even found remains of the long decayed ark in the mountainous regions of Ararat. And when they took measurements, it tallied with the measurements found in the Bible (Genesis 6:15)

2. The fall of ancient Babylon to the Medo Persians (Isaiah 13:19) . Isaiah was commissioned by God to prophesy about the fall of Babylon. He even described further how the city would be overthrown and gave the name of the person who would overthrow Babylon - Cyrus the Great. Someone who wasn't even born at the time (Isaiah 44:27 - 45:2)
Some 200 years later after that prophesy was made, Babylon was overthrown by the Medo Persians and who was leading the attack? None other than Cyrus the Great.
Check your history books and all the archaeological findings, you'll see that this actually happened.

3. Yet another prophesy concerning the kingdom of Greece, the Bible gave an accurate prophesy of what would happen immediately after Alexander the Great fell as King of Greece.

Daniel 8:20-22 reads:
“The two-horned ram that you saw stands for the kings of Meʹdi·a and Persia. The hairy male goat stands for the king of Greece; and the great horn that was between its eyes stands for the first king. As for the horn that was broken, so that four stood up instead of it, there are four kingdoms from his nation that will stand up, but not with his power.”

. And true to the word of God, it did happen as the Kingdom of Greece was divided into four, the four generals of those new kingdoms being Cassander, Ptolemy, Lysimachus and Seleucus.
These things did happen. Confirm with all your history books and archaeological findings. smiley
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Jul 01, 2020
IMAliyu:
They know! Everyone has the capacity to think and process information for themselves.
IMAliyu:
It is no valid excuse to simply pretend that since a belief is thousands of years old, it is then thousands of years valid.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by iamdannyfc(m): 5:30pm On Jul 01, 2020
Maximus69:

If so, why do we have to call him God?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by IMAliyu(m): 5:32pm On Jul 01, 2020
Kobojunkie:
They know! Everyone has the capacity to think and process information for themselves.
It is no valid excuse to simply pretend that since a belief is thousands of years old, it is then thousands of years valid.
I would disagree.
They don't know. They think in there own minds that they are correct and what they believe and are doing is the right thing. (If you've been religious or with religious people before you'd know this)
And religion has a lot of psychological tricks (like praying into the instinctual fear of the unknown and death) to keep you locked in.
To actually think these things through you have to be a highly open or skeptical person. Else most people are naturally conformist, they adopt the identity, traditions and beliefs given to them and they will defend those things blindly, most of the time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 01, 2020
iamdannyfc:

If so, why do we have to call him God?

Because he is our Creator.

Those concepts would have been applicable but due to his attributes he is not able to be present everywhere, to know everything neither can he do everything.

His eyes are too pure to watch evil {Habakkuk 1:13} when a man is sleeping with his neighbour's wife and maltreating the husband or intimidating him. God can't stand such so he only pay attention to those doing what is good. That's why he is no Omnipresent or Omniscient because he just can't stand such things!

He doesn't think of evil so he can't do evil things so there are certain (evil) things humans can do that God can't do. James 1:13

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by iamdannyfc(m): 8:01pm On Jul 01, 2020
Maximus69:

Because he is our Creator.

Those concepts would have been applicable but due to his attributes he is not able to be present everywhere, to know everything neither can he do everything.

His eyes are too pure to watch evil {Habakkuk 1:13} when a man is sleeping with his neighbour's wife and maltreating the husband or intimidating him. God can't stand such so he only pay attention to those doing what is good. That's why he is no Omnipresent or Omniscient because he just can't stand such things!

He doesn't think of evil so he can't do evil things so there are certain (evil) things humans can do that God can't do. James 1:13
I think the God you are trying to portray is a deistic God and not the prevalent religious monotheistic God.

If he is not Omnipotent nor Omnipresent why should we bother about him since we know he might not have the ability to change our situation or Nature's.
With this, why bother about religion?,don't you think it's better to embrace science at least it gives us hope that we can solve a lot of this problems if not all.

And also the reason why i ask "why we need to call him God" is that, If he is not Omnipresent and Omnipotent then he cannot be Omnibenevolent and powerful as claimed. since:

1) If he is willing to alter few things and not able, he is no different from a lab scientist who can create and does not have the ability to do all things therefore we can say he is bound by Nature.

2) If he is not willing and able to alter some things including evil (like you said) then he is not Omnibenevolent.
And if he is not Omnibenevelont, Omnipotent and Omnipresent why call him God. I think it is better to call him alien.

What did you think? Because i don't really understand your concept.and i can't seem to imagine a God that is not Omnibenevelent, Omnipotent and Omnipresent
I need enlightenment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Kobojunkie: 8:29pm On Jul 01, 2020
IMAliyu:
I would disagree.
They don't know. They think in there own minds that they are correct and what they believe and are doing is the right thing. (If you've been religious or with religious people before you'd know this) And religion has a lot of psychological tricks (like praying into the instinctual fear of the unknown and death) to keep you locked in. To actually think these things through you have to be a highly open or skeptical person. Else most people are naturally conformist, they adopt the identity, traditions and beliefs given to them and they will defend those things blindly, most of the time.
Even people that are raised to become close-minded can, however, become open-minded when bombarded by information that runs contrary to that which they were raised on.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 01, 2020
iamdannyfc:

I think the God you are trying to portray is a deistic God and not the prevalent religious monotheistic God.

If he is not Omnipotent nor Omnipresent why should we bother about him since we know he might not have the ability to change our situation or Nature's.
With this, why bother about religion?,don't you think it's better to embrace science at least it gives us hope that we can solve a lot of this problems if not all.

And also the reason why i ask "why we need to call him God" is that, If he is not Omnipresent and Omnipotent then he cannot be Omnibenevolent and powerful as claimed. since:

1) If he is willing to alter few things and not able, he is no different from a lab scientist who can create and does not have the ability to do all things therefore we can say he is bound by Nature.

2) If he is not willing and able to alter some things including evil (like you said) then he is not Omnibenevolent.
And if he is not Omnibenevelont, Omnipotent and Omnipresent why call him God. I think it is better to call him alien.

What did you think? Because i don't really understand your concept.and i can't seem to imagine a God that is not Omnibenevelent, Omnipotent and Omnipresent
I need enlightenment.

He is my own God because he has explained to me through the documents sent (Bible), why he is not Omnipotent Omnipresent or Omniscient now.

It's after i've listened attentively to what he has to say that began loving his righteous standards and his judicial decisions! smiley

So
What i expected you to ask is what can he do for us now?
What is be doing presently?
And what is he planning about our future? smiley
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by IMAliyu(m): 10:00pm On Jul 01, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Even people that are raised to become close-minded can, however, become open-minded when bombarded by information that runs contrary to that which they were raised on.
True.
But in my case I was a curious person and I exposed myself willing to a sh!t ton of information, which caused my disillusionment and created doubts.
I would still be close minded if someone came and tried telling that what I believed in was not true. I would think they were agents of the devil trying to deceive me.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by iamdannyfc(m): 7:33am On Jul 02, 2020
Maximus69:

He is my own God because he has explained to me through the documents sent (Bible), why he is not Omnipotent Omnipresent or Omniscient now.
I think you are honest,he is not "Omnipotent Omnipresent or Omniscient now".
So, must/should we accept him as our own God?

It's after i've listened attentively to what he has to say that began loving his righteous standards and his judicial decisions! smiley
Wow, "his righteous standard and his judicial decisions".
If by listening to him, you meant through the bible, well i think i have my own personal reservation on his righteous standard.
But if it is another medium, please i would love to know him through it too.

So
What i expected you to ask is what can he do for us now?
And what is he planning about our future? smiley
What can he do for us now?
What is he planning about our future?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 02, 2020
iamdannyfc:
I think you are honest,he is not "Omnipotent Omnipresent or Omniscient now".
So, must/should we accept him as our own God?
It's not a must!
He only has a gift for those who wants to continue being his friends, others are free to choose their course in life. He is not a bully so he's cool with his gift!

Wow, "his righteous standard and his judicial decisions".
If by listening to him, you meant through the bible, well i think i have my own personal reservation on his righteous standard.
But if it is another medium, please i would love to know him through it too.
I doubt if you fully grasp his judicial decisions! Don't think it's what the misinformed churchgoers are carrying up and down!

What can he do for us now?
What is he planning about our future?

He can help us to understand what is happening around us. When we see people behave like animals, greedy and irrational. We begin to wonder "what is wrong with their brains?" So God's word will help us to know what is causing all of that.

He is organizing future inhabitants of a peaceful earth and training them on how to live as one big and happy family of peace loving worshipers globally. You too may like to know them, and i'm sure you'll be moved to join them after seeing what God has done with them.

He plans to renovate the earth, to stop time (oldage and death), put things in order (no more natural disaster), and also to Create new things that will make life enjoyable forever for the benefit of his loyal friends!

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.