Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,837 members, 7,802,680 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (228922 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:46pm On Nov 10, 2018
LordReed:

The point is that there is no evidence to present for the existence of a god, just like there is no evidence for the existence of elves and goblins. The certainty is about the same, which means although we can't be 100% certain, the lack of evidence is loud and telling.
You've not said anything differently to what I just said.

The guy said he has some extensive research in his hands. The world should be expectant, right?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by vaxx: 4:15pm On Nov 10, 2018
joseph1013:

You understand it's not enough to just blurt out these assertions, right?

You've done extensive research that have not been peer reviewed, hence the rest of us mortals don't know about, isn't it? It's a given that such a research if validated would win you a Nobel.
lol. You got me.

Never heard of such claim before. ""Extensive research"" which make me wonder what is that is he even saying? probably the one he did in beer parlour while taking cat fish pepper soup and big stout. I am sure if it is the one base on consensus agreement, he will have been nominated as the best rational thinker of all time.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by vaxx: 4:27pm On Nov 10, 2018
LordReed:

The point is that there is no evidence to present for the existence of a god, just like there is no evidence for the existence of elves and goblins. The certainty is about the same, which means although we can't be 100% certain, the lack of evidence is loud and telling.
This is not true, There is a whole host of evidence that supports the existence of God. While it’s difficult to prove or disprove the existence of God through material means( which ia not only the means of seeking truth), one can at least show that the possibility of God’s existence is highly probable. And that is what my created thread is trying to do.. The facts are laid out in front of you. And your decision to reject them due to its insuffienct materials proof had not make all other supporting evidence untrue.

However, maybe I’m biased, but when you look at everything, the possibility of God existing makes far, far, more sense then the possibility that He doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 5:45pm On Nov 10, 2018
joseph1013:

You understand it's not enough to just blurt out these assertions, right?

You've done extensive research that have not been peer reviewed, hence the rest of us mortals don't know about, isn't it? It's a given that such a research if validated would win you a Nobel.
This would apply if I were intending to convince you that gods do not exist, which I am not. Same way I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to convince you gods existed if I felt they did. I wouldn't believe gods exist, I would know they existed, and if you don't know they did, I'd just pass you off as a deluded ignorant fool. After all, I'd hardly accept that I was the deluded ignorant fool and accept my existing god does not exist!

But the evidence has been peer reviewed. I after all reviewed it, or don't you consider me a peer? Unfortunately, personal bias gets in the way of reviewing such stuff. Gods are one area where the rules of objective reviews are not accepted. I can't train your mind to be objective I am afraid. But just consider what has happened to all the gods that exist no more. Did they stop existing, or did they die in the minds of those who believed they existed?

As I said, gods exist only in the minds of those in whom they have been created, so it would be irrational for me to try to convince anyone that what exists in their minds does not exist in reality. The evidence is however out there that all the gods that have ever existed are human creations, and everything the gods have been claimed to be responsible for, more suitable reasons now exist. You just have to approach it with the mind that allows you to realise that fact. There was a time, after all, when Aphrodite lifted up her hindlegs and women got pregnant, but nowadays, we know that sex has something to do with birth, and Aphrodite is more or less dead.

To me, a person who believes gods do not exist, is an agnostic, as in someone who does not know, which may suit some, but if you really want to get off the fence, clean out your mind and consider the evidence objectively.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 6:01pm On Nov 10, 2018
LordReed:

Could you imagine anyone sitting on the fence where goblins and elves are concerned? Most atheists however seem to buy into the notion that they need to believe gods don't exist when in fact, if they were to be honest, they'd either say they don't know, or they do know whether gods exist or not. Are they afraid, I wonder, that god might strike them down dead or something?!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:16pm On Nov 10, 2018
vaxx:
This is not true, There is a whole host of evidence that supports the existence of God. While it’s difficult to prove or disprove the existence of God through material means( which ia not only the means of seeking truth), one can at least show that the possibility of God’s existence is highly probable. And that is what my created thread is trying to do.. The facts are laid out in front of you. And your decision to reject them due to its insuffienct materials proof had not make all other supporting evidence untrue.

However, maybe I’m biased, but when you look at everything, the possibility of God existing makes far, far, more sense then the possibility that He doesn’t exist.

If a god created the material universe and continues to interact with it, then it stands to reason that his activities would have measurable material impact. Please direct us to how we can measure God's material impact.

When I look at everything, the more I am convinced no god exists.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:18pm On Nov 10, 2018
joseph1013:

You've not said anything differently to what I just said.

The guy said he has some extensive research in his hands. The world should be expectant, right?

Research that confirms an already subsisting observation is not really that impressive is it?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:34pm On Nov 10, 2018
budaatum:

Could you imagine anyone sitting on the fence where goblins and elves are concerned? Most atheists however seem to buy into the notion that they need to believe gods don't exist when in fact, if they were to be honest, they'd either say they don't know, or they do know whether gods exist or not. Are they afraid, I wonder, that god might strike them down dead or something?!

LoL. There may be some elf believers out there, do not underestimate the power of delusion. LMAO!

I think I get why people say they don't know if a god exists or not because if you make a claim then you get to prove it. However in my mind there is a distinct difference between saying "I know a god doesn't exist" and "I see no evidence for a god so I am not convinced one exists". In the former case because of the lack of evidence one way or the other, the claim is hard to support but the later is well supported by the lack of evidence. The difference maybe tautological but I think the distinction needs to be made so people do not fall into making bad arguments.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 6:52pm On Nov 10, 2018
LordReed:

LoL. There may be some elf believers out there, do not underestimate the power of delusion. LMAO!

I think I get why people say they don't know if a god exists or not because if you make a claim then you get to prove it. However in my mind there is a distinct difference between saying "I know a god doesn't exist" and "I see no evidence for a god so I am not convinced one exists". In the former case because of the lack of evidence one way or the other, the claim is hard to support but the later is well supported by the lack of evidence. The difference maybe tautological but I think the distinction needs to be made so people do not fall into making bad arguments.
A distinction that needs to be made in one's own head? I disagree! I do not need to lie to myself about what I know. If I see no evidence for a thing existing, I have no reason not to say so, except to pander to the whims of others which is hardly a concern of mine.

Besides, good arguments will sound bad to those who disagree with one, as one constantly finds on here. Discussions about gods are devoid of objectivity, is what I find, and is unavoidable since it relates to subjective reality, with each of us claiming our subjective reality is objective reality! The fact that people use the word "belief" pretty much exposes this fact.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by vaxx: 6:56pm On Nov 10, 2018
LordReed:

If a god created the material universe and continues to interact with it, then it stands to reason that his activities would have measurable material impact. Please direct us to how we can measure God's material impact.

You are diving into measurement which absolutly is base on human subjectivity, I can choose one frame, and you can choose another. For example, using the empirical model, a 100-yard length of a football field is an example of evidence you are clearly looking for.. But, in fact, according to relativity, intervals of length are only well defined relative to our choice of reference frame. Such choice is free, your choice of measurement in the football field is nothing but personal subjectivity which both of us adopt. You will have one length in your frame and another length in mine. We can only come up with length of the field as objective only if we agree to tailor our subjective choice of reference frame in the same way, e.g., we both adopt the frame of the football field.

The example i made here point out to the fact that we can treat something as objective only to the extent that we define and explicitly specify the subjective conditions under which it is defined or measured. Objectivity arises as the result of imposing common agreement on subjective choices in our definitions and procedures.

If you and i agree on common terms we will measure God material impact.

When I look at everything, the more I am convinced no god exists.
because you have not open your mind clear enough...
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:56pm On Nov 10, 2018
budaatum:

A distinction that needs to be made in one's own head? I disagree! I do not need to lie to myself about what I know. If I see no evidence for a thing existing, I have no reason not to say so, except to pander to the whims of others which is hardly a concern of mine.

Besides, good arguments will sound bad to those who disagree with one, as one constantly finds on here. Discussions about gods are devoid of objectivity, is what I find, and is unavoidable since it relates to subjective reality, with each of us claiming our subjective reality is objective reality! The fact that people use the word "belief" pretty much exposes this fact.

Well I don't know about you but I still reserve a ≥5% chance a god exists in a form humans have so far been unable to consider or discover. It is diminishing gradually (it used to be at 10%) but its there.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:59pm On Nov 10, 2018
vaxx:

You are diving into measurement which absolutly is base on human subjectivity, I can choose one frame, and you can choose another. For example, using the empirical model, a 100-yard length of a football field is an example of evidence you are clearly looking for.. But, in fact, according to relativity, intervals of length are only well defined relative to our choice of reference frame. Such choice is a free, your choice of measurement in the football field is nothing but personal to both of us. You will have one length in your frame and another length in mine. We can only come up with length of the field as objective only if we agree to tailor our subjective choice of reference frame in the same way, e.g., we both adopt the frame of the football field.

The example i made here point out to the fact that we can treat something as objective only to the extent that we define and explicitly specify the subjective conditions under which it is defined or measured. Objectivity arises as the result of imposing common agreement on subjective choices in our definitions and procedures.

If you and i agree on common terms we will measure God material impact.

because you have not open your mind clear enough...

LoL there is no reference frame you'll choose that negates the existence of the football field.

If your reference frame allows for the existence of imaginary beings then you are delusional.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 6:59pm On Nov 10, 2018
LordReed:

Well I don't know about you but I still reserve a ≥5% chance a god exists in a form humans have so far been unable to consider or discover. It is diminishing gradually (it used to be at 10%) but its there.
Good. Some honesty. I started with 0% and have found nothing whatsoever to make me veer from that despite an extensive search for gods.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 7:02pm On Nov 10, 2018
budaatum:

Good. Some honesty. I started with 0% and have found nothing whatsoever to make me veer from that despite an extensive search for gods.

LoL. Budaa be brutal! LoL!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by vaxx: 7:15pm On Nov 10, 2018
LordReed:

LoL there is no reference frame you'll choose that negates the existence of the football field.
This is because human ALREADY agree to go with such measurement. It is a consensus agreement.

If your reference frame allows for te existence of imaginary beings then you are delusional.
This is weak you know, you have not provide a consensus agreement that the being we are talking about is imaginary .

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 8:10pm On Nov 10, 2018
vaxx:
This is because human ALREADY agree to go with such measurement. It is a consensus agreement.

This is weak you know, you have not provide a consensus agreement that the being we are talking about is imaginary .

You are the one with the weak argument, you provide no testable evidence and only seed doubt about everything. When you have solid testable evidence holla at me.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by vaxx: 8:25pm On Nov 10, 2018
LordReed:

You are the one with the weak argument, you provide no testable evidence and only seed doubt about everything. When you have solid testable evidence holla at me.
You don't dig it, don't you? Your testable arguments which is measurable had been explained and debunked as to why it is subjective in this kind of evidence.. What will you still called solid testable evidence,? i am waiting. Make sure it is impressive anyway.

My own solid testable evidence is everything we have ever seen, heard, touched, smelled, or otherwise experienced all point to God.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 8:59pm On Nov 10, 2018
vaxx:
You don't dig it, don't you? Your testable arguments which is measurable had been explained and debunked as to why it is subjective in this kind of evidence.. What will you still called solid testable evidence,? i am waiting. Make sure it is impressive anyway.

My own solid testable evidence is everything we have ever seen, heard, touched, smelled, or otherwise experienced all point to God.

You are just making a baseless assertion. How does everything point to god when we can't even have a baseline measurement with which to compare? Meanwhile you keep calling everything subjective just so your imaginary god can have a semblance of existence. That my friend doesn't work because when you are done with your fantasies, you still have reality to deal with.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:02pm On Nov 10, 2018
budaatum:

This would apply if I were intending to convince you that gods do not exist, which I am not. Same way I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to convince you gods existed if I felt they did. I wouldn't believe gods exist, I would know they existed, and if you don't know they did, I'd just pass you off as a deluded ignorant fool. After all, I'd hardly accept that I was the deluded ignorant fool and accept my existing god does not exist!

But the evidence has been peer reviewed. I after all reviewed it, or don't you consider me a peer? Unfortunately, personal bias gets in the way of reviewing such stuff. Gods are one area where the rules of objective reviews are not accepted. I can't train your mind to be objective I am afraid. But just consider what has happened to all the gods that exist no more. Did they stop existing, or did they die in the minds of those who believed they existed?

As I said, gods exist only in the minds of those in whom they have been created, so it would be irrational for me to try to convince anyone that what exists in their minds does not exist in reality. The evidence is however out there that all the gods that have ever existed are human creations, and everything the gods have been claimed to be responsible for, more suitable reasons now exist. You just have to approach it with the mind that allows you to realise that fact. There was a time, after all, when Aphrodite lifted up her hindlegs and women got pregnant, but nowadays, we know that sex has something to do with birth, and Aphrodite is more or less dead.

To me, a person who believes gods do not exist, is an agnostic, as in someone who does not know, which may suit some, but if you really want to get off the fence, clean out your mind and consider the evidence objectively.
I don't like endless rhetoric. You said you've done extensive research and found out there's 100% certainty that there's no God. All I ask for is the evidence of your certainty that's above board. You'll be contributing greatly to our body of knowledge if you do.

Too much to ask?

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:05pm On Nov 10, 2018
LordReed:

Research that confirms an already subsisting observation is not really that impressive is it?

You mistake your own subsisting observation for that of the rest of the world. A great many others on the planet don't share your view, and so many of them may be won over by the watertight extensive research.

You think it doesn't matter?

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by vaxx: 9:25pm On Nov 10, 2018
LordReed:

You are just making a baseless assertion. How does everything point to god when we can't even have a baseline measurement with which to compare? Meanwhile you keep calling everything subjective just so your imaginary god can have a semblance of existence. That my friend doesn't work because when you are done with your fantasies, you still have reality to deal with.
This is the issue with you guys, why is my assertion baseless? Is it because it does not comprehend with your current knowledge. And why dont you criticised it instead of the adjective word(baseless and imaginary ) It make more sense and logical if what i said is probe rather than simply flip.

Yes every true is subjective except what we want to make objective and that will be term as reality which is based on consensus agreement. The truth is always perceived by a subject, experienced by a subject. The subject, that is a human, is like a tint on the glass - the tint colors everything one looks at. This tint is comprised of one’s previous experiences, thoughts, ideas, beliefs, personality traits, emotional states, all the characteristics that comprise a person.

As long as a person is a person, objective perception is not an option unless what will unanimously agree to.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 9:35pm On Nov 10, 2018
joseph1013:

You mistake your own subsisting observation for that of the rest of the world. A great many others on the planet don't share your view, and so many of them may be won over by the watertight extensive research.

You think it doesn't matter?

All I am saying is, it breaks no new ground so it won't garner the kind of attention that leads to awards. Its just like someone coming out with extensive research showing a round earth and expecting a Nobel just because flat earthers exist.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 11:50pm On Nov 10, 2018
vaxx:
This is the issue with you guys, why is my assertion baseless? Is it because it does not comprehend with your current knowledge. And why dont you criticised it instead of the adjective word(baseless and imaginary ) It make more sense and logical if what i said is probe rather than simply flip.

Yes every true is subjective except what we want to make objective and that will be term as reality which is based on consensus agreement. The truth is always perceived by a subject, experienced by a subject. The subject, that is a human, is like a tint on the glass - the tint colors everything one looks at. This tint is comprised of one’s previous experiences, thoughts, ideas, beliefs, personality traits, emotional states, all the characteristics that comprise a person.

As long as a person is a person, objective perception is not an option unless what will unanimously agree to.

Your words:

vaxx:

Yet when asked to provide evidence you cannot show what and how you tested it and how your results point to god. That is the mean of baseless.

Blah blah blah subjective yet you cannot provide anything. I asked you

LordReed:

Please direct us to how we can measure God's material impact.

Instead you come up with vague nonsense on subjectivity. Provide clear solid answers instead of the vague shit you are always bringing up.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 1:28am On Nov 11, 2018
joseph1013:

I don't like endless rhetoric. You said you've done extensive research and found out there's 100% certainty that there's no God. All I ask for is the evidence of your certainty that's above board. You'll be contributing greatly to our body of knowledge if you do.

Too much to ask?
Hopefully, you now see vaxx's point. I said that I am 100% certain. I never said you need to be or that I wanted to convince you, and yet here you are asking me to provide you with evidence. Is that not where the argument got to, which you disagreed with, and which made vaxx mention me?

Sorry, but I do not wish at this moment to contribute to anyone's knowledge. There are already numerous threads to that end, and they made an ounce of difference, one of them would already have done so. But if you are interested in a very interesting thread on the topic, please see this comprehensive and rather convincing one on the topic from a dedicated individual. When you get to the end, I might be more willing to show you that all gods only exist as figments of the imagination in the minds of those in whom they are created. Outside the minds, gods do not exist!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MuttleyLaff: 2:50am On Nov 11, 2018
joseph1013:

Too much to ask?

budaatum:
Hopefully, you now see vaxx's point. I said that I am 100% certain.
I never said you need to be or that I wanted to convince you, and yet here you are asking me to provide you with evidence.
Is that not where the argument got to, which you disagreed with, and which made vaxx mention me?

Sorry, but I do not wish at this moment to contribute to anyone's knowledge. There are already numerous threads to that end, and they made an ounce of difference, one of them would already have done so. But if you are interested in a very interesting thread on the topic, please see this comprehensive and rather convincing one on the topic from a dedicated individual. When you get to the end, I might be more willing to show you that all gods only exist as figments of the imagination in the minds of those in whom they are created. Outside the minds, gods do not exist!
budaatum, you intellectually argue and also intellectually discuss

An example of the former, is this:
"I started with 0% and have found nothing whatsoever to make me veer from that despite an extensive search for gods" post

An example of the latter, is this:
your very beautiful, very deep and profound post which I just had to slam a like stamp on.

1/ Is your gift of intelligence a figment of the imagination in your mind?
2/ Whats the source of your gift of intelligence?
3/ Are you 100% certain of the origination of your gift of intelligence?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 2:50am On Nov 11, 2018
joseph1013:

Please don't misquote me! I never said I it is in my hands.

I specifically said I have done extensive research, and I am certain, so too has the author of this wonderful thread. Otherwise he has posted some almost 80 pages of complete thrash with no reason for a single word he's written! I strongly object to you thinking anyone could post so much with no evidence for what he posted, so stop insulting our intelligence, please!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 3:03am On Nov 11, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

An example of the latter, is this very beautiful, very deep and profound post which I liked

1/ Is your gift of intelligence a figment of the imagination in your mind?
2/ Whats the source of your gift of intelligence?
3/ Are you 100% certain of the origination of your gift of intelligence?
To begin with, I do not have a "gift" of intelligence. Whatever intelligence that I may have has been developed through hard work done by myself, so it's not a 'gift'. As is written, "seek, and you shall find", and I am not one to allow the figments of my own imagination to blind me from learning, or, seeking wisdom, as is said.

I hope you see how this makes your questions invalid, though for the third one, omitting the word "gift", I would claim that I am certain of the origin of my intelligence because you yourself testify to my having some level of intelligence, and have pointed to examples. If I am not somewhat intelligent, according to you, you wouldn't claim I am, I think.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 3:06am On Nov 11, 2018
LordReed:

LoL. Budaa be brutal! LoL!
Brutally honest with myself at least. I just see no point in deceiving myself, I guess.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 3:34am On Nov 11, 2018
vaxx:

Yes every true is subjective except what we want to make objective and that will be term as reality which is based on consensus agreement. The truth is always perceived by a subject, experienced by a subject.
I disagree! Every truth is not subjective! One can't cook up nonsense in their head and claim it is the truth!

Here, for instance, is one person's cooked up in the head truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZT_o8oYZQ

Would you agree that her 'truth' is the truth?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MuttleyLaff: 3:42am On Nov 11, 2018
budaatum:
To begin with, I do not have a "gift" of intelligence.
I am not going to make a big thing of what gift means, what it is and what isnt
The dictionary, is there, to see whether intelligence, is a gift or not
so ignore "gift", as the questions are valid and incontrovertible even without use of gift

budaatum:
Whatever intelligence that I may have has been developed through hard work done by myself, so it's not a 'gift'.
As is written, "seek, and you shall find", and I am not one to allow the figments of my own imagination to blind me from learning, or, seeking wisdom, as is said
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God,
who gives generously to all without finding fault,
and it will be given to you.
"
- James 1:5

"For Yahweh gives wisdom.
Out of his mouth comes knowledge and understanding.
"
- Proverbs 2:6

budaatum, wisdom, that you seek and finding, is a gift

budaatum:
I hope you see how this makes your questions invalid, though for the third one, omitting the word "gift", I would claim that I am certain of the origin of my intelligence because you yourself testify to my having some level of intelligence, and have pointed to examples.
If I am not somewhat intelligent, according to you, you wouldn't claim I am, I think.
Everyone has intellectual/mental capacity budaatum.
and yes budaatum, I testfied that you intellectually argue and also intellectually discuss

1/ So, you believe, you are intelligient
& you're certain of the origin of your intelligence because of the words & examples I made that you intelligently argue and intelligently discuss?
2/ Is your ability to acquire, apply and develop knowledge a figment of the imagination in your mind?
3/ Whats the source of your ability to acquire, apply and develop knowledge?
4/ Are you 100% certain of the origination of your ability to acquire, apply and develop knowledge?
5/ Whats the distinction between God, used in Genesis 3:5 and gods, used in Psalm 82:6 or John 10:34?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MuttleyLaff: 3:56am On Nov 11, 2018
vaxx:
This is the issue with you guys, why is my assertion baseless?
Is it because it does not comprehend with your current knowledge.
And why dont you criticised it instead of the adjective word(baseless and imaginary )
It make more sense and logical if what i said is probe rather than simply flip.

budaatum:
I disagree!
Every truth is not subjective!
One can't cook up nonsense in their head and claim it is the truth!

Here, for instance, is one person's cooked up in the head truth.

h t tps://youtu.be/JFZT_o8oYZQ

Would you agree that her 'truth' is the truth?
Her truth is, what in the industry, is called the alternative fact

You'll be surprised what nonsense some cook in their heads, claiming there is no God
It is not only foolhardy to believe that to be the truth but it's also unwise

Sometimes people dont want to face fact, know and discover the truth
so what do they do in a situation like that
They create a fiction and invent a different narrative, just like the way the lady in that video did.

Budaatum, what do you think of the Anthony Ekundayo Lennon aka "African born again" furore?
What kind of truth is his?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 5:00am On Nov 11, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

budaatum, wisdom, that you seek and finding, is a gift
A gift or a present is an item given to someone without the expectation of payment or anything in return.

I repeat, whatever intellectual abilities or intelligence I may have were not gifted to me. I worked really hard to acquire the little intelligence I may seem to have. And the ability itself, I take your word that it is inherent in all humans. As you say:

MuttleyLaff:
Everyone has intellectual/mental capacity budaatum.
and yes budaatum, I testified that you intellectually argue and also intellectually discuss
An ability or capacity, however, is not exactly a skill. I am very certain I have the ability to fly an aeroplane and perform open heart surgery, but that would not make you claim buda can fly an aeroplane or perform open heart surgery. You most certainly most likely would not allow me to perform either on you! In order to be able to fly an aeroplane or perform open heart surgery, buda would have to do some work to be able to, just as buda has had to work to acquire the skill that makes you say buda has the particular skill being discussed.

MuttleyLaff:
1/ So, you believe, you are intelligent & you're certain of the origin of your intelligence because of the words & examples I made that you intelligently argue and intelligently discuss?
No! Buda does not believe buda is intelligent. You believe buda is intelligent! buda, herself, hopes she is somewhat intelligent and constantly works at becoming intelligent.

MuttleyLaff:
2/ Is your ability to acquire, apply and develop knowledge a figment of the imagination in your mind?
To be specific, my ability to acquire and develop knowledge, is not a figment of the imagination of my mind. It is a fact that one can acquire knowledge if one works to acquire it. "Seek, and you shall find" is a fact. So the answer to the first part of your question is, no, it is not a figment of my imagination.

As to applying it, I can only take your word that I have applied it and therefore assume that I am able to apply it therefore, and thank you immensely for stating that I do. It may very well be a figment of your imagination that buda is intelligent, but from what I know of you, I am inclined to accept your observation that it most likely isn't a figment of your imagination. Do not hesitate to let me know if you have observed buda wrongly please, in the figmentation of your imagination perhaps, without regard to evidence.

MuttleyLaff:

3/ Whats the source of your ability to acquire, apply and develop knowledge?
Interesting, and tricky, this one is. I would repeat you and say "Everyone has intellectual/mental capacity". I am simply one of those "everyones". I responded in detail above. In short form, the source is all the work I claim to have done.

MuttleyLaff:
4/ Are you 100% certain of the origination of your ability to acquire, apply and develop knowledge?
Yes, I am most certain of my "ability to acquire, apply and develop knowledge". You yourself say I have such abilities and I place much weight on your observation. If I were one to talk through my ass you most likely would have said so, instead of stating otherwise. As someone once said, "you say so". I merely take your word for it.

As to the "origination" too, yes. I have done a lot of work to acquire the ability to apply and develop the knowledge that I do exhibit and which you seem to observe.

MuttleyLaff:

5/ Whats the distinction between God, used in Genesis 3:5 and gods, used in Psalm 82:6 or John 10:34?
This is so off topic that I am inclined to kindly request that you start a thread for it please. However, and just so I am not accused of avoidance, a shift in understanding occurred between the Genesis understanding of god, and that of Psalm and John. In the former, an entity lorded it over others, and the latter was recognition of how gods are created, and by whom. It is specifically the latter that informs my "gods are figments of the imagination created by those in who's minds they are created".

Gen 3:5 says, "one day you shall know that gods are figments of the imagination created by human beings". A certain Jesus Christ took this to it's logical conclusion and is now bowed down to and worshipped instead of emulated, bar all the miracles, literally, that is. And even that, much more than he did (raising the dead, healing the sick) do we now do, just as he said we would. I stand as a testimony to this fact.

I still think this is worthy of a thread please. The fact that you ask it is like you read my mind, and I wonder how you connected this to the topic at hand. It is very relevant despite being off topic!

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.