Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,555 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (229344 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:58pm On Dec 19, 2014
sinequanon:

Rubbish. The breathing reflex would persist in a pure-nitrogen atmosphere, where there is no carbon dioxide.

Carbon dioxide is toxic, so of course it triggers DEEPER breathing.

The response to high altitude is obviously a long term one (red cell blood count etc.). Nobody would adapt if the response were the short term solution of conscious breathing. What would you do when you sleep?

Ancient error you are still regurgitating. They have since realized that the appendix is an important part of the immune system.

Oya, explain the others, or are you out of depth as always.

Hey, if your 'spirits' can't help you with mundane questions as this, what is the use of the belief?

Like dapo told you in a separate thread, science is all about finding answers Sinequanon I am not sure you know that,So I am restating it. Science doesn't claim to answer all questions,it's good if loopholes are found in scientific theories
they would help us improve our scientific knowledge, Sinequanon is doing a great job in exposing scientific loopholes, that would enable scientists to work on their theories, but what Sinequanon thinks is that he is damaging science while in fact he is of great help in improving science by identifying faults.keep up the good work man. That's the beauty of science. A Yoruba adage says that a tick thinks it's killing the dog while it's actually killing itself.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 6:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
joseph1013:
- The existence of the pharynx, a passage used for both ingestion and respiration, with the consequent drastic increase in the risk of choking.

From nearly zero to nearly zero. How many people do you know who have choked to death?

Yet, the cough reflex prevents us from bolting our food and causing digestive problems. We learn to chew well so as not to cause a coughing fit. It also supplements the gag reflex which can regurgitate contaminated or poisonous material, but isn't powerful enough to cleanse remnants.

The cough reflex is not triggered just because food "goes down the wrong way". It is a rapid response system to the first sign of toxins or allergens. It will powerfully remove such material and force mucous back into the buccal cavity, before it is left to the weaker gag reflex.

The same goes for anything likely to get stuck in the oesophagus. It gets tested first in the narrow confines of the pharynx. If it doesn't get stuck there, it is unlikely to get stuck anywhere else. If it does get stuck, a powerful blast of air can dislodge it much more effectively than peristalsis.

Perhaps the risk of choking pales into insignificance.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by frank317: 7:33pm On Dec 19, 2014
Hey Mr Joe... It would do u good to ignore sinequanon, I suspect the guy is confused. He is on Nairaland to make himself feel important

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by philfearon(m): 8:02pm On Dec 19, 2014
malvisguy212:
who is the law giver? Is it not God? God warn adam not to eat from the try of good and evil ,adam disobey God and face punishment,surely cain and abel would have learn not to disobey God or face the same punishment . So the knowledge of good and evil is passed unto them.cain violate it and face judgment the same way adam violate it and face judgment.
Am sorry,I didn't quite get the part where They were told "Thou shall not kill" before the perceived murder of Abel.Mind telling me?
malvisguy212:
mr satanist, which question is that.
Am sorry,I didn't quite get the part where They were told "Thou shall not kill" before the perceived murder of Abel.Mind telling me?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2014
joseph1013:
Even in modern times, in almost all cases, the pregnancy must be aborted to save the life of the mother.

I don't know what you are calling "modern times" but Africans were carrying out successful Cesarean Sections long before the Europeans.

By this, I mean that indigenous healers delivered the baby through midline incisions, saving BOTH child and mother.

Meanwhile, earlier surgeries recorded as European refer to last minute interventions in which the mother died, the object being to save the child, from certain death.

According to one estimate not a single woman survived cesarean section in Paris between 1787 and 1876.

Meanwhile, a Brit by the name of R.Felkin reported from his travels around the same time that Ugandans had been doing C-Sections for a very long time.

This historical fact is currently being "revised".
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:14pm On Dec 19, 2014
sinequanon:

I don't know what you are calling "modern times" but Africans were carrying out successful Cesarean Sections long before the Europeans.

By this, I mean that indigenous healers delivered the baby through midline incisions, saving BOTH child and mother.

Meanwhile, earlier surgeries recorded as European refer to last minute interventions in which the mother died, the object being to save the child, from certain death.

According to one estimate not a single woman survived cesarean section in Paris between 1787 and 1876.

Meanwhile, a Brit by the name of R.Felkin reported from his travels around the same time that Ugandans had been doing C-Sections for a very long time.

LOL...this proves that intelligent design is true.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 8:19pm On Dec 19, 2014
sinequanon:

I like this. Any useful link to confirm?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:23pm On Dec 19, 2014
sinequanon:

From nearly zero to nearly zero. How many people do you know who have choked to death?

Yet, the cough reflex prevents us from bolting our food and causing digestive problems. We learn to chew well so as not to cause a coughing fit. It also supplements the gag reflex which can regurgitate contaminated or poisonous material, but isn't powerful enough to cleanse remnants.

The cough reflex is not triggered just because food "goes down the wrong way". It is a rapid response system to the first sign of toxins or allergens. It will powerfully remove such material and force mucous back into the buccal cavity, before it is left to the weaker gag reflex.

The same goes for anything likely to get stuck in the oesophagus. It gets tested first in the narrow confines of the pharynx. If it doesn't get stuck there, it is unlikely to get stuck anywhere else. If it does get stuck, a powerful blast of air can dislodge it much more effectively than peristalsis.

Perhaps the risk of choking pales into insignificance.
To be truthful to you, even though it is obvious that you copy and paste from those si.lly creationism sites, we'd still have had a really educating discussion on how all you typed are nothing but arrant nons.ense. But your dogm.atic brain will not allow you thrive in an intellectual argument. You'll keep jumping from pole to pole not answering questions, not clarifying statements and definitely not staying on topic. I don't have a stomach for all that.

Let me say this: I'll start ignoring you now. I'll change my mind when you tell me why you don't believe in God, but believe in spirits. Isn't that cognitive dissonance? Why will you say there is no such thing as the supernatural but you believe in supernatural entities?

Would you be kind enough to clarify that?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:29pm On Dec 19, 2014
frank317:
Hey Mr Joe... It would do u good to ignore sinequanon, I suspect the guy is confused. He is on Nairaland to make himself feel important
Good idea.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 8:37pm On Dec 19, 2014
malvisguy212:
GOD told adam not to eat from the tree of Good and evil and when they disobey God they face the punishment, am very sure adam and eve would have thought there children not to disobey God and teach them what is good and bad, so there conscience no what is good and evil.

In Darwin’s time there was an idea among the
nobility that their genetics were superior to those of
the rest of society. Many families including Darwin’s
took this belief to extreme levels by practicing incest
as a tradition.
They thought that if adolescents were to marry within
their own family then not only would all the wealth
stay in the family, but the “good” genes would also.
This also ensured that the family fortunes would be
retained for many future generations. This practice is
very common in aristocratic families, which explains
why they are all extremely mentally unstable. Darwin
came from a very classist and racist elite level of
society and that is reflected in his work, especially
“The Descent of Man”.

Even if this is true, this mean evolution and atheism are wrong? And it immediately suggest the jewish god exist?
Delusion of grandeur.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 8:43pm On Dec 19, 2014
joseph1013:

To be truthful to you, even though it is obvious that you copy and paste from those si.lly creationism sites,

No. You copy and pasted your stuff from somewhere. That is ALL you can do because you lack the intellect to reason due to your general attitude of ranting, denial and hypocrisy. I have seen people blunt their faculties of comprehension for years indulging in the trite nonsense you like to post.

I'm not really posting for you. I just thought the article you copied and pasted may be of interest to critical thinkers.

I say to them, don't become a useless ranter like joseph1013. Be honest and open, and build up your knowledge steadily and continuously.

What I wrote about the pharynx is the result of my own critical appraisal.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 9:05pm On Dec 19, 2014
ooman:

I like this. Any useful link to confirm?

Why do you "like it"?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/cesarean/part1.html

[b]In Western society women for the most part were barred from carrying out cesarean sections until the late nineteenth century, because they were largely denied admission to medical schools. The first recorded successful cesarean in the British Empire, however, was conducted by a woman. Sometime between 1815 and 1821, James Miranda Stuart Barry performed the operation while masquerading as a man and serving as a physician to the British army in South Africa.

A n.aked, pregnant woman lies on an angled bed inside a building. Three n.aked men attend her childbirth. The man on the left stands holding her belly on both sides with his hands. The man in the center is on the opposite side of the bed, with his left hand on her right hip and the right hand upraised holding a knife. The man on the right is crouching at the woman's feet holding them down with both hands.
Successful Cesarean section performed by indigenous healers in Kahura, Uganda. As observed by R. W. Felkin in 1879 from his article "Notes on Labour in Central Africa" published in the Edinburgh Medical Journal, volume 20, April 1884, pages 922-930.

While Barry applied Western surgical techniques, nineteenth-century travelers in Africa reported instances of indigenous people successfully carrying out the procedure with their own medical practices. In 1879, for example, one British traveller, R.W. Felkin, witnessed cesarean section performed by Ugandans. The healer used banana wine to semi-intoxicate the woman and to cleanse his hands and her abdomen prior to surgery. He used a midline incision and applied cautery to minimize hemorrhaging. He massaged the uterus to make it contract but did not suture it; the abdominal wound was pinned with iron needles and dressed with a paste prepared from roots. The patient recovered well, and [size=14pt]Felkin concluded that this technique was well-developed and had clearly been employed for a long time.[/size] Similar reports come from Rwanda, where botanical preparations were also used to anesthetize the patient and promote wound healing.[/b]

Eventually they will be telling us that Europeans introduced the surgery to Africans. In the mid 19th century, Europeans were still trying to figure out how to anesthetize patients.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by malvisguy212: 9:21pm On Dec 19, 2014
ooman:

Even if this is true, this mean evolution and atheism are wrong? And it immediately suggest the jewish god exist?
Delusion of grandeur.
my point is, one of the world greatest scientist ignore genetic defect.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by malvisguy212: 9:23pm On Dec 19, 2014
ooman:

Delusion of grandeur.
read more here.

https://www.intellihub.com/darwinism-eugenics-and-the-silent-genocide/
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 9:39pm On Dec 19, 2014
From the same document I referenced earlier...

During the nineteenth century, however, surgery was transformed -- both technically and professionally. A new era in surgical practice began in [size=14pt]1846[/size] at Massachusetts General Hospital when dentist William T. G. Morton used [size=14pt]diethyl ether[/size] while removing a facial tumor. This medical application of [size=14pt]anesthesia rapidly spread to Europe[/size]. In obstetrics, though, there was opposition to its use based on the biblical injunction that women should sorrow to bring forth children in atonement for Eve's sin. This argument was substantially demolished when the head of the Church of England, Queen Victoria, had chloroform administered for the births of two of her children (Leopold in [size=14pt]1853[/size] and Beatrice in 1857). Subsequently, anesthesia in childbirth became popular among the wealthy and practical in cases of cesarean section.

So, you see, the African "witch doctors" with their "snake oil", "backwardness", "mysticism" and "superstitious delusions" were way ahead of the Europeans, despite the claim that the Europeans had done a successful Cesarean in a British base in South Africa -- what, when they still didn't have anesthetics?

What would these "witch doctors" have been able to do by now?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 11:18am On Dec 20, 2014
malvisguy212:
my point is, one of the world greatest scientist ignore genetic defect.

What genetic defect did he ignore?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 11:20am On Dec 20, 2014
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 12:11pm On Dec 20, 2014
malvisguy212:
read more here.

https://www.intellihub.com/darwinism-eugenics-and-the-silent-genocide/

A few god-believers who are eugenicists from the list of Eugenicist found here http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_eugenicists

Alexander Graham Bell - "God has strewn our paths with wonders, and we shall certainly not go through Life with our eyes shut."

Alexis Carrel - "I believe in the existence of God, in the immortality of the soul, in Revelation and in all the Catholic Church teaches."
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 12:14pm On Dec 20, 2014
sinequanon:
From the same document I referenced earlier...

During the nineteenth century, however, surgery was transformed -- both technically and professionally. A new era in surgical practice began in [size=14pt]1846[/size] at Massachusetts General Hospital when dentist William T. G. Morton used [size=14pt]diethyl ether[/size] while removing a facial tumor. This medical application of [size=14pt]anesthesia rapidly spread to Europe[/size]. In obstetrics, though, there was opposition to its use based on the biblical injunction that women should sorrow to bring forth children in atonement for Eve's sin. This argument was substantially demolished when the head of the Church of England, Queen Victoria, had chloroform administered for the births of two of her children (Leopold in [size=14pt]1853[/size] and Beatrice in 1857). Subsequently, anesthesia in childbirth became popular among the wealthy and practical in cases of cesarean section.

So, you see, the African "witch doctors" with their "snake oil", "backwardness", "mysticism" and "superstitious delusions" were way ahead of the Europeans, despite the claim that the Europeans had done a successful Cesarean in a British base in South Africa -- what, when they still didn't have anesthetics?

What would these "witch doctors" have been able to do by now?

They are not witch doctors, they are botanists and naturalists.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 12:59pm On Dec 20, 2014
ooman:

They are not witch doctors, they are botanists and naturalists.

They were traditional healers and diviners -- the same people Westerners daubed "witch doctors".

Healer and diviner were one and the same person. They did not use "the scientific method" to develop their medicine.

You are trying to call them "botanists and naturalists" in retrospect, AFTER discovering that they beat the Europeans to Cesarean Section.

In fact, the reason the whole thing comes as a surprise to you is because of how the history books have belittled the achievements of Africans. Now you are looking for a Western label, as if that is going to change who these healers were.

By time your children grow up, the history would probably have been completely revised. It will discover "evidence" that in fact the Europeans brought the surgery to the ignorant and backward "witch doctors" of Africa.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 1:08pm On Dec 20, 2014
sinequanon:

They were traditional healers and diviners -- the same people Westerners daubed "witch doctors".

Healer and diviner were one and the same person. They did not use "the scientific method" to develop their medicine.

You are trying to call them "botanists and naturalists" in retrospect, AFTER discovering that they beat the Europeans to Cesarean Section.

In fact, the reason the whole thing comes as a surprise to you is because of how the history books have belittled the achievements of Africans. Now you are looking for a Western label, as if that is going to change who these healers were.

By time your children grow up, the history would probably have been completely revised. It will discover "evidence" that in fact the Europeans brought the surgery to the ignorant and backward "witch doctors" of Africa.

Wrong!! Do you think your article ar.oused an interest I don't already have?
People may be called by whatever names anyone deems fit, but people in Africa already studied plants and animal around them to know which is edible and which is medicinal.
Do you think its also the Europeans that thought them which food to eat?
In a modern world, such art should be dubbed with modern terms. Simple

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 1:29pm On Dec 20, 2014
ooman:

Wrong!! Do you think your article ar.oused an interest I don't already have?
People may be called by whatever names anyone deems fit, but people in Africa already studied plants and animal around them to know which is edible and which is medicinal.
Do you think its also the Europeans that thought them which food to eat?
In a modern world, such art should be dubbed with modern terms. Simple

No it shouldn't. That is precisely how you lose your culture instead of developing it.

The ATTITUDE of the diviners and healers towards nature was very different to that found in "modern" medicine and botany.

The modern terminology subsumes the African culture under Western practices and consigns the difference to the rubbish heap.

You are an example of how that process works. You lose your culture because you have accepted the language that consigns it to the rubbish heap.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 1:35pm On Dec 20, 2014
sinequanon:

No it shouldn't. That is precisely how you lose your culture instead of developing it.

The ATTITUDE of the diviners and healers towards nature was very different to that found in "modern" medicine and botany.

The modern terminology subsumes the African culture under Western practices and consigns the difference to the rubbish heap.

You are an example of how that process works. You lose your culture because you have accepted the language that consigns it to the rubbish heap.

Wrong again. Change is constant. People change the way they do things to get better result.
I reject the idea that everything modern is western.
Everybody everywhere is learning more and evolving.
Evolving the African culture, so that it can produce better result is not loss of it, but development of it.

Science, technology and medicine are not western culture. Instead, these are modern art which is practised by everybody, everywhere.

The term "western education", to denote the modern educational system is wrong. A university in Mali existed centuries past, before Europeans got to us.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 1:47pm On Dec 20, 2014
ooman:

Wrong again. Change is constant. People change the way they do things to get better result.
Evolving the African culture, so that it can produce better result is not loss of it, but development of it.

Science, technology and medicine are not western culture. Instead, these are modern art which is practised by everybody, everywhere.

The term "western education", to denote the modern educational system is wrong. A university in Mali existed centuries past, before Europeans got to us.

You have ditched parts of your culture without even realizing it.

That is how good a brainwashing job Western education has done on you.

You use Western science, science, and understanding of nature ALL interchangeably. That is what the brainwashing has done, to the point where you can't even recognize aspects of your culture that you have lost.

Western education dominated, not because it was an improvement, but because it was forced on people.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 1:50pm On Dec 20, 2014
sinequanon:

You have ditched parts of your culture without even realizing it.

That is how good a brainwashing job Western education has done on you.

You use Western science, science, and understanding of nature ALL interchangeably. That is what the brainwashing has done, to the point where you can't even recognize aspects of your culture that you have lost.

Western education dominated, not because it was an improvement, but because it was forced on people.

Guy, your intestine has somehow filled up your skull and your brain is now in your abdomen. You have problem with using your brain for thinking.

Better I start talking to a dog who has some brain cells left in its skull.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 2:00pm On Dec 20, 2014
ooman:

Guy, your intestine has somehow filled up your skull and your brain is now in your abdomen. You have problem with using your brain for thinking.

Better I start talking to a dog who has some brain cells left in its skull.

You are sounding like a dog. It didn't take very long for the wild animal to come out of you, did it?

How does someone like you hope to talk about civilization?

And you have been so badly brainwashed out of your culture that embracing it now makes you froth at the mouth.

All the holistic thinking that was the hallmark of African culture, art, music, healing etc. was whitewashed out of you to the point where you can't fathom where you came from.

Shame.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 2:08pm On Dec 20, 2014
sinequanon:

You are sounding like a dog. It didn't take very long for the wild animal to come out of you, did it?

And you have been so badly brainwashed out of your culture that embracing it now makes you froth at the mouth.

All the holistic thinking that was the hallmark of African culture, art, music, healing etc. was whitewashed out of you to the point where you can't fathom where you came from.

Shame.

grin

It doesn't take long before stupi.dity choke me. You on the other hand are at home with stupi.dity. You just feel comfortable with being dumb.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:16pm On Dec 20, 2014
sinequanon:

Shame.
Jeez! How did ANYTHING ooman said imply all you wrote and the vitriolic labels? You're such a bitter fellow!

Did you fall on your head when you were a baby?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by PastorAIO: 2:23pm On Dec 20, 2014
ooman:

@Sinequanon, I've noticed that you are always fighting. There is no thread, no matter how pleasantly it starts, that you won't turn into a fight. I don't know what the psychological cause of this is. But I seem to get a sense now of where most of your aggression is directed at.

It is directed at the Scientific Revolution that started around the 17th century in Europe. That, it seems, is what you are referring to when you talk of Science this and Science that.

What you don't seem to realise, or maybe you realise but you just choose to ignore, is that Mankind has been doing science from the dawn of time. Those 'witch doctors' that you refer to ARE scientists. Even the science in Europe was derived from what the Arabs left over after they left Spain so it is NOT a european thing. There also seems to be an anti european slant in your posts.

Here is what wiki has to say about the process of the Scientific Method:

Process
The overall process involves making conjectures (hypotheses), deriving predictions from them as logical consequences, and then carrying out experiments based on those predictions to determine whether the original conjecture was correct.[4] There are difficulties in a formulaic statement of method, however. Though the scientific method is often presented as a fixed sequence of steps, they are better considered as general principles.

Making conjectures! This part can come about by hunches, getting inspiration, dreams, daydreaming etc etc. Even the babalawo that learns about herbs from spirits, if he is smart, will only treat the revelation as conjecture. He still has to test the inspiration, either by experiments or some form of trial. If the herbs that the babalawo is using doesn't work according to the hypothetical inspiration, I can assure you, unless he is a daft babalawo, that he will ditch the herbal treatment.

Even the bible which christians read thoroughly before they ignore says, Test all spirits!

Unless you can show me what the babalawo does that is any different from what the european physicist does then I'll concede that you actually have a point.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 2:31pm On Dec 20, 2014
joseph1013:

Jeez! How did ANYTHING ooman said imply all you wrote and the vitriolic labels? You're such a bitter fellow!

Did you fall on your head when you were a baby?

I can see what is in your head. Very ugly indeed.

It doesn't take much for your ugliness to ooze out, does it.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 2:48pm On Dec 20, 2014
PastorAIO:

@Sinequanon, I've noticed that you are always fighting. There is no thread, no matter how pleasantly it starts, that you won't turn into a fight. I don't know what the psychological cause of this is. But I seem to get a sense now of where most of your aggression is directed at.

Don't be lazy. Read properly.

I am impatient with laziness. And I am not as patient as you seem to be, with stupidity.

Do we agree on everything? Have we fought? No. Because neither of us is controlled by dogma.

The problem people are having is that they cannot attack me "successfully" by ignoring my points and attacking some "opposing" dogma, like religion/science. They try, find that I am not religious or atheist, then they get upset and frustrated.

That is mainly how things have worked. People rant off topic.

But please show me a thread where I started a fight.

PastorAIO:
It is directed at the Scientific Revolution that started around the 17th century in Europe.

Nope.

Your premise was wrong.

I comment on religion and its limitations.

I comment on science and its limitations.

I do so without pandering to people's sensitivities, hypocrisies and denials.

Folks feel "attacked" and start ranting off topic.

Then I tell them that they are ranting and intellectually compromised. Fact.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sinequanon: 3:08pm On Dec 20, 2014
PastorAIO:
What you don't seem to realise, or maybe you realise but you just choose to ignore, is that Mankind has been doing science from the dawn of time. Those 'witch doctors' that you refer to ARE scientists.

This is equivocation. This is a way for science to define itself retrospectively. "If it works it then it was science".

The product of these "witch doctors" is not science. Neither is it accidental science as they sometimes like to call it, or ignorant folks "stumbling" upon facts later verified by science.

They are very clear that science is what is published in "respected, peer review journals". When you argue scientifically, that is what is demanded. You can't reject something on this ground one day, and then relax your definition the next.

PastorAIO:
Even the science in Europe was derived from what the Arabs left over after they left Spain so it is NOT a european thing. There also seems to be an anti european slant in your posts.

I think that is just you missing the point.

PastorAIO:
Here is what wiki has to say about the process of the Scientific Method:

Making conjectures! This part can come about by hunches, getting inspiration, dreams, daydreaming etc etc. Even the babalawo that learns about herbs from spirits, if he is smart, will only treat the revelation as conjecture. He still has to test the inspiration, either by experiments or some form of trial. If the herbs that the babalawo is using doesn't work according to the hypothetical inspiration, I can assure you, unless he is a daft babalawo, that he will ditch the herbal treatment.

Even the bible which christians read thoroughly before they ignore says, Test all spirits!

Unless you can show me what the babalawo does that is any different from what the european physicist does then I'll concede that you actually have a point.

(Did you mean physician? I don't know what kind of physics a babalawo does.)

Faith healing. Your faith is important in a treatment.

In Western medicine, a treatment is deemed ineffective if it fails a test on a randomly chosen group of people regardless of their attitude towards faith and "superstition".

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.